PDA

View Full Version : Money making on ebay.

router
01-Feb-09, 21:20
was just having a disscussion with the oh about people on benefits buying and selling items on ebay. Does this class as an extra income or not. If you knew od someone on benefits and they were selling items on ebay to make money. eg, buy a cheap item at tescos for 50p and then sell them on at 1.99 is this classed as extra income.
Would you turn them in for fraud.

rs 2k
01-Feb-09, 21:33
Don't have an answer for that 1 but i have an opinion

I buy alot of stuff from ebay for my twin grandaughters, lovely stuff and a fraction of the prices up here, well for little shops there is up here mind u, but when woolies closed down, in Aberdeen anyway coz our mates live there, they were filling a bag for a pound and i saw there was alot of kids clothes BNWT on ebay and i refused to buy any coz all i could think about was people had gone in filled a bag for a pound and put the stuff on ebay and not really cheap either, thats all they thought about when they were filling a bag up [lol]

I have never ever sold anything on ebay, but i have bought loads and loads 561 feedback of stuff [lol] but i'm not on benefits so can't give my opinion there

changilass
01-Feb-09, 21:44
What is wrong with the person on benefits that they couldnt go and work in Tesco and come off benefits instead of everyone else paying for them.

If they are earning money they should not be on full benefits so damned right I would report them.

madmax
01-Feb-09, 21:48
I think that selling on ebay not an issue as long as they're not ripping folk off, we all need a bargain.
In these hard times with pay offs, house repossessions etc etc folk need to make what little money they can to survive.
I do feel however that folk that have been on benefits long term and have no real reason not to be working should be issued with a brush and some black bags and be down the street on a morning clearing up instead of a council worker.
I got approached by a lad one day askin for some loose change, when I refused and said about working for money he replied that he couldnt because of his Skin condition !! Not really a good excuse not to work. I'm sure he could hold a brush !
I wonder if my boss would be ok with me not coming into work cos I'm sleepy??? Is that a good reason? I recently broke my foot and the only time I had off was to get the plaster on, they advised 6 weeks off work but there's no way I'd do that to my employers or the guys I work with.
I do feel really sorry for the folk that been paid off and are genuinely looking for work and hope they find it, however wasters waken up and do something for the tax we're paying !!
Rant over. :)

big kahuna
01-Feb-09, 22:07
i you buy something and then sell for profit it counts as income even if its on ebay

Gizmo
01-Feb-09, 22:15
I do feel however that folk that have been on benefits long term and have no real reason not to be working should be issued with a brush and some black bags and be down the street on a morning clearing up instead of a council worker.

So you'd quite happily put a council worker out of work to satisfiy your mindset about those who find themselves out of work?

ak1
01-Feb-09, 22:20
think u all taking things to the extremes, if someone on benefits makes a bit o extra cash by selling there own belongings, good on them,
i not on benefits but do get tax credits does this mean i should be declaring what i sell on ebay to tax credit office??

rs 2k
01-Feb-09, 22:28
I got approached by a lad one day askin for some loose change, when I refused and said about working for money he replied that he couldnt because of his Skin condition !! Not really a good excuse not to work. I'm sure he could hold a brush !
:)

I know the guy u r on about, he always asks people for money and when he has about a fiver, he use to go in the bookies and play the roulette machine and when he had about a thousand pounds he cahed it in and this happened quite alot (My daughter works there thats how i know [lol])and i bet he didn't declare it to the dole [lol] he is barred now for reasons i can't say on here

Alice in Blunderland
01-Feb-09, 22:28
think u all taking things to the extremes, if someone on benefits makes a bit o extra cash by selling there own belongings, good on them,
i not on benefits but do get tax credits does this mean i should be declaring what i sell on ebay to tax credit office??

OOOOoo naughty, naughty it means you shall be dragged kicking and screaming from your house battered to submission until you vow never to do it again. :lol: :lol:

DeHaviLand
01-Feb-09, 22:33

Erm, yes:roll:

sweetpea
01-Feb-09, 22:56
If you selling on ebay your running a business, mind you buying stuff cheap and making a profit is an admirable trade;)

ShelleyCowie
01-Feb-09, 22:57
The thing is there are 2 sides to this! there are people that build up a store on ebay! I shop from model direct. They are a massive store in Taiwan. So surely they will put this through taxes since ebay is the only place they sell.

But for home sellers, if they are just selling one or two things then i suppose thats ok. I have bought from people who have not sold before but are just having a clear out and want to make some money from it!

Just like having a garage sale. Would you put that through the tax books? :eek:

Bobinovich
01-Feb-09, 23:02
Truth is that ANYONE selling regularly on Ebay should declare their profit to the taxman as it SHOULD be taxed.

Yeah, like that's going to happen [lol]!

madmax
01-Feb-09, 23:09
So you'd quite happily put a council worker out of work to satisfiy your mindset about those who find themselves out of work?

I wasnt talkin about folk that find themselves out of work, I was talkin about folk that dont want to work.
Ok let me rephrase it, give them gloves and black bags and get them to clean up the bits the council guys dont do, pick up stuff off beaches etc....
Any better?
Its our taxes that is paying for the benefits they are getting.

ett23
01-Feb-09, 23:11
What about people selling stuff here on the org? I know people who've sold big stuff like PS3s and furniture and made a fair bit of money - over £100 - should we let the inland revenue know about that too? :confused

Julia
01-Feb-09, 23:14
If you sell your own property it is neither taxable or anything to do with the DWP, if I sold my car on ebay next week for £2000 I wouldn't need to pay tax on it or declare it as it's mine to sell and the money would be to buy another vehicle.

FYI you can earn up to £20 per week without it affecting your benefits.

Maybe we should report everyone on the org with something in the 'for sale' section!!

router
01-Feb-09, 23:15

but i did not think buying from one shop and selling it on for profit is the same as getting rid of your unwanted items.:confused

changilass
01-Feb-09, 23:18
The opening post on this thread stated that the idea was to buy cheap with the idea of selling for a profit, that IMHO is a business and therefore the seller should not also be claiming full benefits.

Selling a few odds and sods that are no longer needed is a totally different matter.

Edited to say SNAP router lol

Tristan
01-Feb-09, 23:19
There is a big difference between selling some stuff that has been collecting dust in the loft and being a merchant. I think if you are selling over a certain amount and certainly if you are buying items and then selling them on you would be considered a business and should be declaring the profit as income.

ett23
01-Feb-09, 23:30
Phew, that's good to know. I love selling stuff on ebay - all my old rubbish - and making pocket money from it is a bonus. But I definitely don't buy stuff cheap and sell it on for a profit. ;)

Alice in Blunderland
01-Feb-09, 23:45
I feel that its down to the individual.

In all walks of life there are those who are straight and honest ,who will declare what they are doing and cough up to the taxman and those who will do all in their power to avoid paying a single penny.

If folks are buying to sell for a profit then yes they should be keeping appropriate records and declaring how much they make but as in all walks of life you get the honest folk and the slightly dishonest.

A9RUNNER
01-Feb-09, 23:47
If I knew someone was making a business of selling on ebay and not declaring earnings to the benefits I would shop them. However somone selling the odd bit here and there I have no problem with that.

Moira
02-Feb-09, 00:04
was just having a disscussion with the oh about people on benefits buying and selling items on ebay. Does this class as an extra income or not. If you knew od someone on benefits and they were selling items on ebay to make money. eg, buy a cheap item at tescos for 50p and then sell them on at 1.99 is this classed as extra income.
Would you turn them in for fraud.

If you are on benefits, are you not obliged to declare any extra/other income you acquire, by whatever means?

I've never been on benefits so I don't know the rules and regs surrounding these. I was, however, very temporarily, unemployed a few years ago, and I almost had to sign my very soul away in order to obtain the minimal JobSeeker's Allowance which I was entitled to.

Would I turn them in for fraud? Good question, Router. I think I probably would if I was sure of my facts. If someone you know is capable of sitting at home turning around a profit like you mention on EBay, whilst claiming benefits and not declaring them, I would say that you should indeed blow the whistle on them. Good luck. :)

starry
02-Feb-09, 00:48
If you sell your own property it is neither taxable or anything to do with the DWP, if I sold my car on ebay next week for £2000 I wouldn't need to pay tax on it or declare it as it's mine to sell and the money would be to buy another vehicle.

Maybe we should report everyone on the org with something in the 'for sale' section!!

Yeah well wait till someone buys my Tina Turner tickets ;)

ett23
02-Feb-09, 00:52
Yeah well wait till someone buys my Tina Turner tickets ;)

Good plug there - I like it!!!! But if you were really efficient you'd have included a link to your post!! :lol:

starry
02-Feb-09, 00:56
[lol]

yes I slipped up there ;)

router
02-Feb-09, 01:14
If you are on benefits, are you not obliged to declare any extra/other income you acquire, by whatever means?

I've never been on benefits so I don't know the rules and regs surrounding these. I was, however, very temporarily, unemployed a few years ago, and I almost had to sign my very soul away in order to obtain the minimal JobSeeker's Allowance which I was entitled to.

Would I turn them in for fraud? Good question, Router. I think I probably would if I was sure of my facts. If someone you know is capable of sitting at home turning around a profit like you mention on EBay, whilst claiming benefits and not declaring them, I would say that you should indeed blow the whistle on them. Good luck. :)

its only a hypothetical question, curiosity really.

Moira
02-Feb-09, 01:17
its only a hypothetical question, curiosity really.

My answer was purely hypothetical Router.

router
02-Feb-09, 01:18
"QUOTE"

I dont believe all those who sell items in the "for sale" section is on benefits,as you imply they are.If working they can sell what they want

router
02-Feb-09, 01:20
My answer was purely hypothetical Router.

The good luck at the end of the sentence made me think you thought otherwise.

Julia
02-Feb-09, 01:37
I'm not an expert on benefits by any means I usually work for a living.

Moira
02-Feb-09, 01:43
The good luck at the end of the sentence made me think you thought otherwise.

The good luck was intended to be just that. You posed the original question and I answered that question in light of my personal experience.

Good luck in understanding/solving the question which prompted you to post here. :)

golach
02-Feb-09, 10:50
The opening post on this thread stated that the idea was to buy cheap with the idea of selling for a profit, that IMHO is a business and therefore the seller should not also be claiming full benefits.

Selling a few odds and sods that are no longer needed is a totally different matter.

Got to agree with you Changi, I see the "buy cheap, sell for a profit" as running a business, and if on benefit that to me is fraud. I am lucky I have never claimed benefit in my life, but there are many who make a living out of it, so I have no compulsion about blowing the whistle on fraudsters.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/BenefitFraud/index.htm?cids=Google_PPC&cre=Money

Penelope Pitstop
02-Feb-09, 11:45
Looks like the tax man has already thought about the ebay sellers and will fine them when they catch them....and they will

http://www.financedaily.co.uk/finance/BritsFinedForNotDeclaringExtraIncome

I don't think this applies to anyone getting rid of the stuff in their attic. After all you paid tax on it first time round. Mind you the government would be quite happy to tax you on it again I'm sure!!

As for folk on benefits and running a side line on e-bay....report them...no doubt. I don't mind paying my own taxes....but why should tax payers subsidise them[disgust]

hotrod4
02-Feb-09, 13:11
Selling odds and ends lying about the house is fine, BUT if someone on benefits was running a BUSINESS on Ebay then they should get reported.
After all it would be tax payers money they would be using to "buy" their goods to sell.Its is not so much the legal standpoint its more of a "moral" thing.Its morally wrong to make extra money and not declare it.

Thumper
02-Feb-09, 13:30
This thread has actually got me worried,I have on occasion sold things on ebay,usually when money is tight and one of the kids birthdays are looming up,I sell something that I can do without and use the money I made from the sale to buy my children a present,but now I feel like a criminal :eek: I totally agree that running a shop should be declared but surely selling something that is yours to sell and using the proceeds to buy something else that you need isnt wrong?x

Penelope Pitstop
02-Feb-09, 13:35
This thread has actually got me worried,I have on occasion sold things on ebay,usually when money is tight and one of the kids birthdays are looming up,I sell something that I can do without and use the money I made from the sale to buy my children a present,but now I feel like a criminal :eek: I totally agree that running a shop should be declared but surely selling something that is yours to sell and using the proceeds to buy something else that you need isnt wrong?x

I don't think the tax man can do anything about you selling a few of your own no longer required items.

They are tyring to catch up with the people who don't pay tax on a side line or in some cases a main business selling on ebay.

Don't worry about selling a few of your own things on e-bay.

router
02-Feb-09, 14:14

you are not a criminal selling an item on ebay, thats legal, but if you buy from shops to purposely sell on ebay to make extra money and then DONT declare it, then its fraud.

"Quote Hotrod"
"Its is not so much the legal standpoint its more of a "moral" thing.Its morally wrong to make extra money and not declare it.

you hit then nail on the head there

Bad Manners
02-Feb-09, 14:17
the rules are simple if you are on a means tested benifit like income support you cannot BUY items with the express wish of selling them for profit without informing them. however if you are selling a few knick nack theat you have around the house then that is ok. it is the buying and selling for profit that is the problem. it is trading. however if you are not on means tested benifit the only person that will be interested is the tax man.

bothyman
02-Feb-09, 14:24
So if someone is working do they have to tell the Taxman about the extra income they are making from ebay ??:roll:

bosshog
02-Feb-09, 14:35
to tell you the truth , i think all this is a storm in a teacup.
there are folk on benefit through no fault of their own.
i have been on benefit myself, i pay my taxes and plenty of them.
so in the hard times i think i qualified
as far some some poor sod selling off some unwanted stuff .so what.
its hardly going to break the bank is it.
id think i would just mind my own business.
(let him without sin cast the first stone.)

then there would,nt be any stones thrown at all.

and im just trying to build up my post log to get me avatar....[lol]

S&LHEN
02-Feb-09, 14:48
I totally agree with Bosshog How do you know that the people on benefits that are selling stuff are not just wanting some extra money to buy there kids some clothes etc!! Ive been on benefits in the past and I think its a total joke the amount the goverment expect you and your kids to live on. It just pays for food and bare essentials but what about shoes etc, Fair play to the people for making a bit of effort to get themselves a little extra because as im sure you know jobs nowadays are hard to come by.Few people enjoy being on benefits but sometimes dont have the option. If ebay such an issue maybe we should watch who buys and sell on the org!!
Im sorry I just find the whole thing so pathetic, Maybe if a bit more of people FREE time and energy went into child protection etc the world would be a better place!! I find the thread totally ridiculous. Consentrate on your own life and let others get on with there own.

WHAT HAPPENED TO LIVE AND LET LIVE???

router
02-Feb-09, 14:52
I totally agree with Bosshog How do you know that the people on benefits that are selling stuff are not just wanting some extra money to buy there kids some clothes etc!! Ive been on benefits in the past and I think its a total joke the amount the goverment expect you and your kids to live on. It just pays for food and bare essentials but what about shoes etc, Fair play to the people for making a bit of effort to get themselves a little extra because as im sure you know jobs nowadays are hard to come by.Few people enjoy being on benefits but sometimes dont have the option. If ebay such an issue maybe we should watch who buys and sell on the org!!
Im sorry I just find the whole thing so pathetic, Maybe if a bit more of people FREE time and energy went into child protection etc the world would be a better place!! I find the thread totally ridiculous. Consentrate on your own life and let others get on with there own.

WHAT HAPPENED TO LIVE AND LET LIVE???
so you dont class it as extra income then, undeclared income.

live and let live
when has that ever been then case in caithness:lol:

So then i suppose then you would be ok with someone on benefits working on the side and earning more than the stated amount and not declaring it, its the same thing as buying to sell for profit. No-one is having a go at people on benefits if they only get what they are entitled to, but those who choose to fraud the system, lie and hope never to be caught should have their benefits stopped without a doubt.

what has child protection issues got to do with defrauding the system.

Penelope Pitstop
02-Feb-09, 15:29
So if someone is working do they have to tell the Taxman about the extra income they are making from ebay ??:roll:

If they were trading on e-bay - Yes
If they are selling a few bits of their own no longer required tat - no.
:)

Penelope Pitstop
02-Feb-09, 15:35
I totally agree with Bosshog How do you know that the people on benefits that are selling stuff are not just wanting some extra money to buy there kids some clothes etc!!

Fair enough if people are selling their own stuff. It's the trading of goods that I think people on the org have expressed a problem with - not having a clear out of their own stuff.

"want some extra money to buy their kids some clothes, etc"......that's why I go to work.......

S&LHEN
02-Feb-09, 17:37
The other side of that though Penelope is some people dont have the luck of getting a job. Some of my friends HAVE been looking for work for ages and they get nothing not even a reply to job applications.
And im sorry to say anyone who sells a few bits and bobs on ebay will never make more that a couple of quid!! Have you checked there fees lately?? Trading I would see a point.
I took children into it because theres alot more important things going on in the world other that people making a pound for tat on ebay.
I think people should look at things from both sides for a clearer view. Its no difference whatsoever selling stuff on here than on ebay its fact its the same thing apart from this site is free to advertise which is great:lol:
I take it everyone on here declares everything to the tax man like when you get money for your birthday, xmas etc or doing a job and the person insists you take money for ???:roll:
mmmmmmmmmm thats the point im trying to get over.[lol]

S&LHEN
02-Feb-09, 17:38
No I dont agree with fraud at all but I cant see that as fraud thats all.

True theres no such thing as live and let live here ha ha (good one)

davie
02-Feb-09, 17:44
I have spent all morning in Tesco looking for these 50p items that I can sell on eBay for £1.99 without success - can the O.P. let me know which items they were referring to as I can use a few bob extra

router
02-Feb-09, 18:09
I have spent all morning in Tesco looking for these 50p items that I can sell on eBay for £1.99 without success - can the O.P. let me know which items they were referring to as I can use a few bob extra

hypothetical question:roll:

tescos, asda, sainsbury does it matter.it the principle of the buying for profit. its called fraud if its not declared, a bit like living with a partner who works and not declaring they live there and are bringing in an extra income, its all fraud.

S&LHEN
02-Feb-09, 18:17
Well I hope you declare all gifts & money you recieve to the tax man, Theres more going on in the world than someone buying something in a shop for 50p and selling it to maybe isolated people who have no access to such shops or cant manage to get out for £1.99 is thoughtful on benefits or not. Its a terrible crime not declaring that £1.49 tut tut Be realistic. Your taking it to far.

JAWS
02-Feb-09, 19:24
hypothetical question:roll:

tescos, asda, sainsbury does it matter.it the principle of the buying for profit. its called fraud if its not declared, a bit like living with a partner who works and not declaring they live there and are bringing in an extra income, its all fraud.I suggest you try asking the Social Services and the Tax Office if they are concerned about it. They would be the obvious people to get an answer from.
It would be interesting to hear their take on somebody declaring an additional income of the odd £1.50.

Perhaps a call to the Serious Fraud Squad is in order, I'm sure they would be very interested to hear about such a dreadful case of fraud.

One small question, how. pray tell, do you know it is not being declared or is this a case of inspired guess work involving a large wooden spoon?

router
02-Feb-09, 19:31
I

One small question, how. pray tell, do you know it is not being declared or is this a case of inspired guess work involving a large wooden spoon?

it came from a conversation, nothing to do with stirring things up, just a curiosity, do you have to declare money made from buying and selling for prophet?
we have got some suspicious minds on here:lol:

S&LHEN
02-Feb-09, 19:53
I dont think its a matter of people having suspicious minds I think people are maybe saying your taking the word fraud to new extremes. You try selling stuff on ebay and see how little profit you ll make only thing you gain is free space and no doubt you buy something on ebay to fill it, thus resulting in no profit whatsoever but means you get the stuff you need in your house instead of unwanted items.
If your a friend of this person I think you should concider the word FRIENDSHIP and maybe if its worrying you that much take them aside and have a word with them.
Its spiteful reporting someone for this when you can solve it by talking to them or maybe find out more about that persons situation. Not everyone thats out of work are on benefits,
The type of fraud I dont like is the disability fraud but id never report it because at the end of the day that person has to live with themselves for lying at the end of the day its none of my business my own family and friends are whats important to me.

But at the end of the day thats just my own personal opinion and your entitled to yours.

router
02-Feb-09, 20:09
quote:

If your a friend of this person I think you should concider the word FRIENDSHIP and maybe if its worrying you that much take them aside and have a word with them.

i dont believe it has been mentioned that this is to do with anyone in particular its a general question.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/fraud

Penelope Pitstop
02-Feb-09, 21:57
The other side of that though Penelope is some people dont have the luck of getting a job. Some of my friends HAVE been looking for work for ages and they get nothing not even a reply to job applications.
And im sorry to say anyone who sells a few bits and bobs on ebay will never make more that a couple of quid!! Have you checked there fees lately?? Trading I would see a point.
I took children into it because theres alot more important things going on in the world other that people making a pound for tat on ebay.
I think people should look at things from both sides for a clearer view. Its no difference whatsoever selling stuff on here than on ebay its fact its the same thing apart from this site is free to advertise which is great:lol:
I take it everyone on here declares everything to the tax man like when you get money for your birthday, xmas etc or doing a job and the person insists you take money for ???:roll:
mmmmmmmmmm thats the point im trying to get over.[lol]

Aye, I appreciate there are a lot of good workers out there who just can't get a job at the moment....this will only get worse in months to come.

Yes your right, ebay charges are high. You keep referring back to the person selling their own stuff and have they declared it to the tax man?? No one on this forum has said that there is anything wrong with selling your own stuff on ebay....or declare the sale of their own goods to the tax man. (You don't need to declare Capital Gains tax unless the single item you sell has made a profit (gain) of more than £6000. It's traders the debate has been about.

Unless you are getting very large sums of money for your birthday you'll not need to declare it to the tax man. lol

balto
02-Feb-09, 23:17
there really is 2 ways you could look at this- if you are selling somthing simply because you dont use it the fair enough, but if you are buying cheap then selling at a profit, and doing this often then you really are doing the system really arent you.

balto
02-Feb-09, 23:27

slight difference there, thats items orgers clearly dont need, not bulk buys from a major supermarket.

scorrie
03-Feb-09, 00:10

Excellent point. ALL traders on eBay SHOULD be paying tax on their income. As usual, people on benefits get tarred with the dishonesty brush.

Even the taxman admits that this is a grey area. It would be hard to define and then detect every "Trader" on eBay and then prove that the item(s) sold made a profit. If you don't know how much was paid for the item in the first place, how can you know the seller made a profit on it?

Love thy Neighbour? Shop thy Neighbour?

ett23
03-Feb-09, 00:23
I know of people who buy clothes or other things cheaply at charity shops and then sell them on for a profit on ebay. Would that be another instance of 'trading' on ebay and if they're not declaring their profits they'd be liable to a fine??

Penelope Pitstop
03-Feb-09, 13:43
I know of people who buy clothes or other things cheaply at charity shops and then sell them on for a profit on ebay. Would that be another instance of 'trading' on ebay and if they're not declaring their profits they'd be liable to a fine??

I would think that would be deemed as trading and yes would be liable to a fine if income made from it was not declared...

Make no mistake the inland revenue are a ruthless lot.....pity they aren't so hard on the men in suits in Westminster and aristocrats.[disgust]

My accountant told me of how the IR suspected that a chip shop owner was not declaring all their sales and therefore profit. The IR bought chips, supper from the shop, took it away counted the chips they had received. Calculated the amount of chips the shop owner would have sold from the tatties bought in, made adjustment for losses, etc....estimated his tax bill for him. (BTW This was not a trader in Caithness.)

Never under estimate the IR.

Bad Manners
03-Feb-09, 14:35
A old neighbour of our was caught doing this very thing. they were on benifite income support etc but the bought quite a few things cheaply and sold them on ebay they did not make a lot of money but they did it for fun and a bit of pin money. However someone reported them to social secutity and they had a visit for the fraud section. they were told in no uncertain manner that anything they buy and sell for a profit is trading and as such they have to declare it and would have their benifit cut. they were told thay could sell a few items that they no longer required that would be ok.
the upshot was the fraud investigator had a list of everthing the bought and sold and their bank records they were given a written warning and had their benifit stopped for two weeks.
So to all those on benifits a warning if someone reports you you now know what happens.
our neighbour never bought or sold on ebay again.

Thumper
03-Feb-09, 14:42
It isnt just fraud investigations that will stop your benefits,I sent a form into the DWP and they didnt recieve it,they didnt tell me that though,they just stopped my benefit and I had to wait 10 days to get money to feed my kids!As I have said before,those who know the system do not suffer,those who depend on it usually do though! (sorry for going off topic a bit there!) x

ett23
03-Feb-09, 16:45
A old neighbour of our was caught doing this very thing. they were on benifite income support etc but the bought quite a few things cheaply and sold them on ebay they did not make a lot of money but they did it for fun and a bit of pin money. However someone reported them to social secutity and they had a visit for the fraud section. they were told in no uncertain manner that anything they buy and sell for a profit is trading and as such they have to declare it and would have their benifit cut. they were told thay could sell a few items that they no longer required that would be ok.
the upshot was the fraud investigator had a list of everthing the bought and sold and their bank records they were given a written warning and had their benifit stopped for two weeks.
So to all those on benifits a warning if someone reports you you now know what happens.

Serious stuff isn't it. Did they get fined at all or just a warning?

scorrie
03-Feb-09, 18:27

I have been imagining myself in the position of your former neighbour. It might be possible, with eBay's help, for an investigator to obtain a list of items sold by a member. You would need to contact eBay to see what their policy is on these matters. I would imagine it is nigh on impossible to trace that item back to purchase though. Cash leaves no trail, bank statements and credit card statements give details on amounts and retailers but do not identify the item. With that it mind, I cannot see how proof of a profit can be established. A person could also be selling the item on behalf of a friend, neighbour, child etc

This is a very grey area and I cannot see it being a good use of public money to chase people making "pin money" while "The usual suspects" are there making a mockery of the system but investigators are too afraid to tackle them.

I sell on eBay, mostly items I have bought and paid tax on already. What am I to do? Ask people not to bid too high on my auctions? I'll carry on selling. If anyone has a problem with that, they had better arrive at my door with a damn good Solicitor and a willing to fight to the bitter end.

Penelope Pitstop
03-Feb-09, 23:11
I have been imagining myself in the position of your former neighbour. It might be possible, with eBay's help, for an investigator to obtain a list of items sold by a member. You would need to contact eBay to see what their policy is on these matters. I would imagine it is nigh on impossible to trace that item back to purchase though. Cash leaves no trail, bank statements and credit card statements give details on amounts and retailers but do not identify the item. With that it mind, I cannot see how proof of a profit can be established. A person could also be selling the item on behalf of a friend, neighbour, child etc

This is a very grey area and I cannot see it being a good use of public money to chase people making "pin money" while "The usual suspects" are there making a mockery of the system but investigators are too afraid to tackle them.

I sell on eBay, mostly items I have bought and paid tax on already. What am I to do? Ask people not to bid too high on my auctions? I'll carry on selling. If anyone has a problem with that, they had better arrive at my door with a damn good Solicitor and a willing to fight to the bitter end.

I agree it would be difficult to trace back...but not impossible.

I would imagine if they had their eye on someone they may pose as a seller or buyer (or both)...just like they did with the guy in his chip shop. They have teams working on this type of thing. I've been told they work on commission (or at least the normal investigators do).:(

router
04-Feb-09, 12:52

This is the exact point i was trying to make glad to see some read the posts as they are written.It makes no difference how much you make on the side you must declare it.Fraud is fraud

Bazeye
04-Feb-09, 13:44
I bought a cuddly toy for my daughter for a fiver when she was young and recently had a clearance and put a few things on e bay. I sold the cuddly toy for £20, but alas it had its downside. I now have a fatwa on me for making a profit out of a teddy bear.

Ill get my coat.

router
04-Feb-09, 13:47
I bought a cuddly toy for my daughter for a fiver when she was young and recently had a clearance and put a few things on e bay. I sold the cuddly toy for £20, but alas it had its downside. I now have a fatwa on me for making a profit out of a teddy bear.

Ill get my coat.

on buying the teddy from ebay was it with the intention of re selling it for profit. NO i dont think so.:roll:

Bazeye
04-Feb-09, 13:53
on buying the teddy from ebay was it with the intention of re selling it for profit. NO i dont think so.:roll:

Profit...Prophet.....Fatwa.
Keep up at the back. :lol:

scorrie
04-Feb-09, 18:01
I agree it would be difficult to trace back...but not impossible.

I would imagine if they had their eye on someone they may pose as a seller or buyer (or both)...just like they did with the guy in his chip shop. They have teams working on this type of thing. I've been told they work on commission (or at least the normal investigators do).:(

I just don't see investigations stretching to person/persons setting up credible eBay accounts, with real feedback, then offering items in the hope that a person they are suspicious of is going to buy their items AND then try to sell those items at a profit. The logistics of such an operation would be akin to tracking a drugs dealer or some similar scale of operation, rather than hounding a person making a few quid on the side.