PDA

View Full Version : Cat poisoned

yenkro
31-Jan-09, 16:39
My sister who lives in the Mount Vernon area had to get her cat put to sleep on Thursday. The cat was only 1 ½ years old.

The Vet advised her that the cat had been poisoned; it may have been that someone has left some anti-freeze out; cats will lick this as it is sweet tasting.

No matter what is was this is such a shame that people have things in there gardens that can poison animals.

balto
31-Jan-09, 16:57
thats such a shame, thats the worst thing, people just dont think when leaving stuff lying about, what the effects it can have on animals/birds. thoughts with your sister.

Margaret M.
31-Jan-09, 17:26
Such a shame. There are laws in a number of states here that forces manufacturers of antifreeze to add a bittering agent so animals will no longer be attracted to it. Passage of the law will also benefit humans -- there has been more than one murder caused by a spouse spiking a beverage with antifreeze. Children have been known to drink it thinking it was juice.

There are numerous everyday plants in the house and garden that can also be toxic to pets if ingested.

crashbandicoot1979
31-Jan-09, 17:30
Thats awful, my thoughts are with your sister.

Thanks for posting this on here. I'm in Mount Vernon and have 2 cats. Thankfully they don't wander far from the garden, but I'll know to be extra vigilant.

teenybash
31-Jan-09, 17:47
How sad to hear this. Your sister must be devastated............and how thoughtless if it was something just left lying around by the ignorant and couldn't care less folk.

Liz
31-Jan-09, 19:03
I am so very sorry for the sad loss of your sister's cat.

Dousslesh started a thread in Pet's Corner re add a bitter agent to anti-freeze. http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=62974&highlight=petition

celtic 302
31-Jan-09, 19:15
Thats awful, my thoughts are with your sister.

You realise that her cat has died, not her nearest blood relative?

Yes it is a shame, but it is things that this which make me wonder about how we treat animals. It is slightly odd that we think a lot of them are human beings.

"My thoughts are with your sister," is something you'd say at a funeral, not after a pet has died.

Liz
31-Jan-09, 19:22

Yes it is a shame, but it is things that this which make me wonder about how we treat animals. It is slightly odd that we think a lot of them are human beings.

"My thoughts are with your sister," is something you'd say at a funeral, not after a pet has died.

It is remarks like these that confirm to me why I love animals a lot more than some humans!

You are entitled to your thoughts but your reply is insensitive and unnecessary.

Pets give many people companionship, unconditional love etc and their passing leaves as much of a gap and heartbreak as losing a family member. In fact they are family!

No they are not human beings. In some cases they are better!!

balto
31-Jan-09, 19:28

sorry but that is a pathetic thing to say, some pet owners myself included, treat their pets like one of the family, they rely on us for all their needs and in return they give us unconditional love. this lady will be gutted that she has lost her pet in such a horriable way, so think before you post remarks like that.

unicorn
31-Jan-09, 19:34
it is a horrible thing to happen for sure.
I must say though how often have any of us been in our own garden and the phone rings etc and you set something down you have been working with, if you don't have pets or children the last thing you would think of is someones cat coming wandering into your garden and having a taste.
It is good to remind people of the dangers of doing just that.

celtic 302
31-Jan-09, 19:35
It is remarks like these that confirm to me why I love animals a lot more than some humans!

You are entitled to your thoughts but your reply is insensitive and unnecessary.

Thank you. I couldn't have hoped for a more stupid response.

Yes, my reply probably was insensitive, but that doesn't bother me. However, I don't remember the memo that said you decided what is necessary and what isn't.

Pets give many people companionship, unconditional love etc and their passing leaves as much of a gap and heartbreak as losing a family member. In fact they are family!

Yes, they do give love, and receive it, but what I am saying is that treating them as if they are human, and mourning them as if a they are human is not normal.

Don't be so bloody stupid. They can be just as evil as humans can. Easy. That is perhaps one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

celtic 302
31-Jan-09, 19:37
so think before you post remarks like that.

I did think. And then I still typed. Whether you disagree or not, I would still post it again.

unicorn
31-Jan-09, 19:38
Thank you. I couldn't have hoped for a more stupid response.

Yes, my reply probably was insensitive, but that doesn't bother me. However, I don't remember the memo that said you decided what is necessary and what isn't.

Yes, they do give love, and receive it, but what I am saying is that treating them as if they are human, and mourning them as if a they are human is not normal.

Don't be so bloody stupid. They can be just as evil as humans can. Easy. That is perhaps one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

Well this is one of the very few times that I have dished out bad rep. What a rotten post and rotten attitude.
You obviously do not feel as the others posting on this thread so why not just skip the thread instead of offending people with your selfish, heartless views.

Liz
31-Jan-09, 19:39
I am so glad I lived up to your hopes and sorry I must have missed the memo which said that said you decided what was stupid!

Also missed your memo on what was normal! Don't you dictate to me on whether I,and many like me, can mourn a much loved pet.

Don't be so bloody stupid. They can be just as evil as humans can. Easy. That is perhaps one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.[/quote]

You have such a wonderful way with words!!!lol

celtic 302
31-Jan-09, 19:43
Well this is one of the very few times that I have dished out bad rep. What a rotten post and rotten attitude.
You obviously do not feel as the others posting on this thread so why not just skip the thread instead of offending people with your selfish, heartless views.

So we should just go through life avoiding anything which we think we might not agree with? Good one!

celtic 302
31-Jan-09, 19:45
I am so glad I lived up to your hopes and sorry I must have missed the memo which said that said you decided what was stupid!

Also missed your memo on what was normal! Don't you dictate to me on whether I,and many like me, can mourn a much loved pet.

Don't be so bloody stupid. They can be just as evil as humans can. Easy. That is perhaps one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.[/quot]

You have such a wonderful way with words!!!lol

I do have a wonderful way with words, thanks for saying. Although I don't know whether I should take this as a positive from someone who made such a mess of that post.

unicorn
31-Jan-09, 19:47
Well it is far nicer than getting your kicks from making others feel bad about trying to inform others of risks in an area.
If you do not love your pets enough to feel mourning at their passing then sadly it is you who is losing out on the true friendship and companionship that millions get from their pets.

celtic 302
31-Jan-09, 19:58
I'll be sad when my pets die. But I'll get over it quickly enough. Why? Because they are just animals. They can be replaced. Not like humans.

unicorn
31-Jan-09, 20:02
No they cannot be replaced because like humans no 2 animals are ever the same.
I often wondered who all the people were who saw animals as disposable in our throwaway society... it seems I have found one at last.

crashbandicoot1979
31-Jan-09, 20:11

You've clearly never lost a pet.

I chose to offer my condolences to this person. Why on earth should that offend you?

celtic 302
31-Jan-09, 20:22
You've clearly never lost a pet.

I chose to offer my condolences to this person. Why on earth should that offend you?

Am I not allowed to be offended? How the hell can you not find it weird to be offering "condolences" after somebodies pet has died?

crashbandicoot1979
31-Jan-09, 20:26
Am I not allowed to be offended? How the hell can you not find it weird to be offering "condolences" after somebodies pet has died?

Because they've just lost a pet and a pet is a member of the family too. I am not saying animals are the same as humans, all I'm saying is, they become part of the family in that they are loved and cared for and they leave a gap when they die. Therefore owners tend to grieve. And condolences are what I offer when someone is grieving, be it for a person or a pet.

celtic 302
31-Jan-09, 20:34
Because they've just lost a pet and a pet is a member of the family too. I am not saying animals are the same as humans...

So animals are part of the family, but not like humans... Good one!

binbob
31-Jan-09, 20:35

so very true..i have no family as such,and my dogs fill the bill!!i also prefer a lot of animals to humans..............:roll:

crashbandicoot1979
31-Jan-09, 20:37
So animals are part of the family, but not like humans... Good one!

Exactly. Animals are part of the family but they are not the same as humans. You've got it!

binbob
31-Jan-09, 20:39
So we should just go through life avoiding anything which we think we might not agree with? Good one!

if u do not like animals..avoid the pet section...[disgust]

binbob
31-Jan-09, 20:42
I'll be sad when my pets die. But I'll get over it quickly enough. Why? Because they are just animals. They can be replaced. Not like humans.

i feel sorry for any animals u have..i think u are a cold hearted individual and sadly i have met folk like u before and they were HORRRRRRIBLE!!!![disgust]

cuddlepop
31-Jan-09, 20:52
My sister who lives in the Mount Vernon area had to get her cat put to sleep on Thursday. The cat was only 1 ½ years old.

The Vet advised her that the cat had been poisoned; it may have been that someone has left some anti-freeze out; cats will lick this as it is sweet tasting.

No matter what is was this is such a shame that people have things in there gardens that can poison animals.

we actually have a bottle of antifreeze left outside on the step.
Its in a spray bottle but maybe the local cats might lick it.:confused
will hang it up.

Such a sad time for you all.

ett23
31-Jan-09, 23:00
if u do not like animals..avoid the pet section...[disgust]

Ha ha. Looks like celtic 302 will be avoiding the pet section and all the rest from now on....suspended!! Yes we are allowed our opinions but that was just plain rude. [disgust]

Liz
31-Jan-09, 23:18
Ha ha. Looks like celtic 302 will be avoiding the pet section and all the rest from now on....suspended!! Yes we are allowed our opinions but that was just plain rude. [disgust]

Yes he's been sent to the naughty step! As you said ett23 there is no excuse for being rude.
Surely an intelligent person can make their point without resorting to this?!

devil's sidekick
31-Jan-09, 23:56
I don't understand why people get suspended for having an opinion ain't that what forums are all about, i'm not saying i agree and not saying i don't agree cause i'd rather not get involved but what is it with the org is it one rule for one person and a different rule for another, it is unbelievable when people report others because they have an opinion it is a forum come on people.

Liz
31-Jan-09, 23:58
No one gets suspended for having an opinion. However, there are boundaries to how that opinion is put across and quite right to.

There are too many orgers who just post to antagonise and make mischief rather than actually contribute.

balto
31-Jan-09, 23:59
I don't understand why people get suspended for having an opinion ain't that what forums are all about, i'm not saying i agree and not saying i don't agree cause i'd rather not get involved but what is it with the org is it one rule for one person and a different rule for another, it is unbelievable when people report others because they have an opinion it is a forum come on people.
dont think it has anything to do with opinions, but how they word it.

devil's sidekick
01-Feb-09, 00:01
No one gets suspended for having an opinion. However, there are boundaries to how that opinion is put across and quite right to.

There are too many orgers who just post to antagonise and make mischief rather than actually contribute.

Well if that is what he was doing then fair enough it just doesn't look that bad to me that's all, not saying i agree with his opinion as i do have a pet cat of my own and certainly wouldn't like it if that happened to him but just looks like he had an opinion to me that's all.

binbob
01-Feb-09, 00:04

good...it was deserved...no need for his comments.[disgust]

purplelady
01-Feb-09, 01:17
I too am glad he has been suspsnded it is not nice to say and treat poeple the way he did yes we can have opinions but not like the ones he was making was just being nasty x

crashbandicoot1979
01-Feb-09, 11:55

I don't think thats why he was suspended. The post he was suspended for has been removed. The post I made in response to it has been removed aswell.

balto
01-Feb-09, 12:16
what i want to know is where on earth are all these idiots coming from, over the past week and a bit, reckon they should all crawl back whatever rock they came from.

crashbandicoot1979
01-Feb-09, 13:27
what i want to know is where on earth are all these idiots coming from, over the past week and a bit, reckon they should all crawl back whatever rock they came from.

Aye, there seems to be an influx of them just now.

unicorn
01-Feb-09, 14:20
People get a bit loopy with the short days and turn into trolls????????

binbob
01-Feb-09, 17:26
quote=crashbandicoot1979;494342]Aye, there seems to be an influx of them just now.[/quote]

yes..i have noticed that too..............god help us!!!:roll:

cuddlepop
01-Feb-09, 17:58
Its good to see a fast response from admin,that behaviour is just not acceptable.

Bebo is probably more than eneogh for them, so why come on here just to upset people?.:roll:

I love my dogs, at times more than my own kids who are at present driving me mad.:mad:

binbob
01-Feb-09, 18:14
Its good to see a fast response from admin,that behaviour is just not acceptable.

Bebo is probably more than eneogh for them, so why come on here just to upset people?.:roll:

I love my dogs, at times more than my own kids who are at present driving me mad.:mad:

keep the dogs,get kids adopted!!!!![lol]

blondscot
04-Feb-09, 20:01

my thoughts are with your sister at this time, when i was staying in Thurso i had 3
of my cats poisoned by antifreeze within 6 months of each other so i know how she is feeling at this time :(