PDA

View Full Version : Victorian Farming

highlander
31-Jan-09, 01:26
Has anyone been watching the programme victorian farming, i find it so very interesting, life was so hard then but i do think modern generation can learn so much about this programme, i would love to see it being shown in schools. One thing on the last episode was when the woman was making clothes and she had rags left over, this was given to the rag and bone man to be woven again to be made into shoddy clothes, many times i have found myself saying "im not buying that, its shoddy" but never realised that is what it meant.

changilass
31-Jan-09, 01:27
Yup, been watching it, its great.

wifie
31-Jan-09, 01:53
It's a great prog! I loved the wifie usin the treadle sewing machine - we used to have one - made me quite nostalgic!

hell raizer
31-Jan-09, 01:54
i watch it every week and think it's great :)

crayola
31-Jan-09, 01:55
I've watched this programme a couple of times and I bloody hate it! I thought I'd love it but most of the people in it are so bloody superior and patronising that I find myself wishing miserable failure upon them.

butterfly
31-Jan-09, 03:42
I've watched this programme a couple of times and I bloody hate it! I thought I'd love it but most of the people in it are so bloody superior and patronising that I find myself wishing miserable failure upon them.

yeah i liked the programme but found the people in it over enthusiastic about everything

Lavenderblue2
31-Jan-09, 11:00
Yes we've been watching this prog Highlander - it is very interesting indeed. I wondered why the woman didn't use some of those scraps left over from her dress for rag rugs or the larger bits of the pretty material could have been could have been used for patchwork - I think in a real Victorian house there would have been a box for keeping useful bits like that.

When I was young I remember the rag 'n' bone man coming round but never thought that he once would have actually collected bones!

I think the enthusiasm of the woman and two men comes from the fact that they are probably enjoying themselves so much - although times were hard in that era, there wasn't the stresses and pressures of today...

Here is a link to the working farm museum Acton Scott Estate (http://www.discovershropshire.org.uk/html/search/verb/GetRecord/homepage:20061031152142) - more things of interest.

At the moment Victorian Farm is one of my favorite programmes - until Monday when 'Who Do You Think You Are starts again' - I can't wait!!

dessie
31-Jan-09, 11:15
when i was a youngster i used to bath in the old tubs..also help my mum with the washing in the dollytub the scrubbing board..omg is it that long ago...[disgust]

Kevin Milkins
31-Jan-09, 11:55
We used to live not far from Acton Scott and took the kids there a few times and found it a very interesting place to visit.

We were not far removed from some of the activities that happen there and can remember our granmother with her scrubbing board in the sink and we had a tin bath when we were kids.

Much of the equipment there is similer to what they have at Mary Annes Cottage and I am sure many of the farming activities of that period would have been the same.

My favourite part of that period is the kitchen as everything in the household seemed to cetntre around that workspace and was the hub of family life. It seems today we want to get in front of the TV with our food on a tray.

I have only seen the one episode and although it was interesting, as some have pointed out it came over too strong as the feel good factor.

Kenn
31-Jan-09, 13:47
Enjoying the programme here, like others find it brings back memories of things that lurked in corners of the farm sheds.
Can remember my mother as late as the early sixties still using the copper and blue bags for the sheets,also that deadly contraption the mangle which was guaranteed to get one's fingers at some point.
Very interesting too to see how far livestock has moved on in such a short time but those ginger pigs are the stars of the show for me.

Happy Rascal
31-Jan-09, 13:55
We watch it every week and enjoy it it certainly made me realise how hard life was then.

S&LHEN
31-Jan-09, 14:03
Makes you realise that when we moan about stuff just how easy our life is compared to it was then.
Things in society have changed so much I actually like the fact that in the olden days everyone helped each other it made life that little bit simpler.

Ricco
01-Feb-09, 10:22
yeah i liked the programme but found the people in it over enthusiastic about everything
Yep, been watching and enjoying it. They have to be enthusiastic - its what they are paid to be. It would make a dull programme if they were sullen, dour, boring and didn't talk about what is going on. Then no-one would what it. ;)

Angela
01-Feb-09, 10:35
Yep, been watching and enjoying it. They have to be enthusiastic - its what they are paid to be. It would make a dull programme if they were sullen, dour, boring and didn't talk about what is going on.

I agree with you Ricco - what a turn off it would be if they moaned and grumbled all the time! Then folk would be complaining because they weren't keen and cheerful when they were being paid for it. :roll:

I'm enjoying the programme very much - I'm learning a lot from it, but also being taken back to my own childhood and reminded of things I'd long forgotten.

Almost everyone on both sides of my family were crofters or farm servants in Caithness and Ross-shire a couple of generations ago. I'm sure there must be a number of differences between the Victorian farm portrayed here on TV, and the Victorian croft. My granny was a young girl living at No1 Croft, Wester, near Wick at that time -the 12th of 13 children. I somehow think my great granny's life must have been even harder than that of the farmer's wife shown on TV! :eek:

The star of the show for me is definitely Clumper the horse! :D

anneoctober
01-Feb-09, 13:10
Keep tuning in as programme half way through or ending, as I'm doing my family tree etc, I find it gives me more understanding of times gone by and how our families survived. HOWEVER the farmer's wife "hooking" out the pig's eye in one piece and feeling pleased with the acheivement.........................:eek::eek:

Bad Manners
01-Feb-09, 13:44
program show how even though the had hard times the made the most of what they had did not throw anything out everything was used or recycled. we have become a very lazy and throw away society.
it think they were practical people they would make or mend now we just throw it out.
we could all learn a lot form going back in history.

bosshog
01-Feb-09, 14:32
i watched that program as well. found it so interesting as my grandmothers family were farming stock.

Bill Fernie
01-Feb-09, 16:08
Episodes 1 - 4 of "The Victrian Farm" are currently on the BBC Iplayer so you can watch them again or for the first time - Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hbnk6/Victorian_Farm_Episode_4/

wifie
01-Feb-09, 17:37
program show how even though the had hard times the made the most of what they had did not throw anything out everything was used or recycled. we have become a very lazy and throw away society.
it think they were practical people they would make or mend now we just throw it out.
we could all learn a lot form going back in history.

Very good point BM - it is good we have many advances which make our lives easier but has it made us lazy? A lot of problems in today's society stem from pure laziness!