PDA

View Full Version : what job did you really want to do?

lassieinfife
07-Feb-06, 23:16
following on from landmarker's comment that he wanted to be a lighthouse keeper what job did you really ant to do ......and what do you do instead?

unicorn
07-Feb-06, 23:35
I wanted to be a vet or work for the sspca instead I look after children and have my own personal zoo!!

spiggie
07-Feb-06, 23:45
apparently when i was younger i told my mother 'when i grow up i want to work in woolies!' lol :0)

jjc
08-Feb-06, 00:25
I wanted to be a vet... specifically, a vet who looked after Pandas (I must have been about six).

I am a database administrator with a deep loathing of all things I.T.

Happy days! :(

brandy
08-Feb-06, 00:32
i wanted to be an archeologist... to discovery lost civilizations and to discover things that had been lost to man for millenia.. however i discovered wick *grins* hmmm how long has it been lost? no one seems to know it exists !

Foxy
08-Feb-06, 00:39
From when I was really little I wanted to be a shepherdess and that is what I am, I did try working in an office once but hated it because I like being outdoors.:grin:

Mr Sensitive
08-Feb-06, 01:29
I wanted to be in the Rolling Stones.

I'm an accountant.

Not much difference there then........

wickerinca
08-Feb-06, 02:42
I don't really know what I wanted to be.......still don't!

krieve
08-Feb-06, 19:07
I wanted to be a vet then it changed to wanting to work for the rspca or have kennels.
Then i remember my teachers trying to put me of the idea of the kennels or working in kennels
and before leaving school i hade my heart set on being a nurse.
Maybe one day at the moment i am a slave to 3 males one day who knows.

davem
08-Feb-06, 19:17
Still Looking!
Maybe just independantly wealthy!

Saveman
08-Feb-06, 19:37
International Rock Star!

Ended up in I.T. :(

paris
08-Feb-06, 19:56
Wanted to be a vet or a nurse, didnt do either but have had almost every animal you could have at home and the nurse bit well i do get to dress as one sometimes HE HE jan x

landmarker
08-Feb-06, 20:20
After the lighthouse keeping waned there were basically three things left.
Rock Star
Footballer
Trucker

not blessed with looks or the talent the last option always seemed more likely. In truth I've had twenty-odd jobs. Some of them odd indeed.
Looking back, I should have (in a fair world) gone to University to do an English degree and taken up journalism. In 1967, on a south Manchester housing estate like Wythenshawe I'm afraid there was not much chance of thathappening. Though it's easy to blame circumstances and life was never fair. I've few complaints really. Life's what you make it and the world owes us nothing. Que sera sera.

Wasn't it John Lennon who sang 'life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans' ?

htwood
08-Feb-06, 20:20
I wanted to be a nurse until I figured out I would have to work with, ewww, sick people and, eeeeek, blood.
Brief phase of wanting to be a firefighter like my dad, but he talked me out of it.
Then I stayed at home for 20 years, raising my 3 daughters.
Now a paralegal in a law firm, civil law only, no criminals allowed in the wait room lol and no whiners either.

willowbankbear
08-Feb-06, 20:29
I wanted to be a pro footballer, the adoration,the fame,the money, the beautiful girls & getting paid for doing something you love to do:evil

scotsboy
08-Feb-06, 21:01
Always wanted to travel, so i have kind of achieved that.

I would like to do a stint with the British Antarctic Survey.....so still got some goals.

Tugmistress
08-Feb-06, 21:59
while at school i wanted to be an underwater welder :grin: but got no where with asking about it at 'careers' so went and did a general engineering course from school, now i am a docker :grin::grin: and i love it .... whatever the weather :grin:

Oddquine
08-Feb-06, 22:19
Finally cracked the quick reply link!

I wanted to be a chartered accountant, but having family cut that short before I qualified, so I went to work in a bank once the kids started school.
Between jobs atm, having just moved up.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
08-Feb-06, 22:32
Wanted to be a brain surgeon but never got enough ologies at school.
Currently working as a technician in Wick.:o)

crashbandicoot1979
08-Feb-06, 22:34
I wanted to be a vet too - I think nearly every animal lover grew up wanting to be a vet! But I'm so sqeamish that even the mention of the word "blood" makes me feel queasy. It occurred to me eventually that being a vet perhaps wasn't the best career choice for me so instead I studied economics and now work in finance.

teddybear1873
08-Feb-06, 23:26
I wanted to be a self made millionare without doing it myself or a window cleaner in Soho

Big G
08-Feb-06, 23:39
I wanted to be a self made millionare without doing it myself or a window cleaner in Soho

I wanted to be a music teacher, but when i moved into the high school i HATED music but i still wanted to be a teacher - so i am going to be a primary school teacher - when i get all the grades to go to college!!

obiron
08-Feb-06, 23:50
i wanted to be an astronaut, still would like to go into space. also wanted to play for rangers alongside people like ally mccoist and davie cooper. ah the dreams.

teddybear1873
08-Feb-06, 23:54
i wanted to be an astronaut, still would like to go into space. also wanted to play for rangers alongside people like ally mccoist and davie cooper. ah the dreams.
Think you have 2 hopes there Obiron, Bob hope and no hope lol

willowbankbear
09-Feb-06, 00:14

Ye would have played in the same Rangers team as me then eh, coz id be hanging up my boots next season, But id love to have been in Coop`s team.

teddybear1873
09-Feb-06, 00:23
Ye would have played in the same Rangers team as me then eh, coz id be hanging up my boots next season, But id love to have been in Coop`s team.
Still beats me why coop only won 24 caps for Scotland. Cant understand that at all, he was the most gifted player since Slim Jim

willowbankbear
09-Feb-06, 00:25
Davie Cooper R.I.P Simply the Best for me & many others

golach
09-Feb-06, 00:55
I want to be Cup polisher at Easter Road, maybe this year ...YES!!!!!!

Bingobabe
09-Feb-06, 02:19
yes willow bank bear beautiful women very shallow

weeboyagee
09-Feb-06, 10:47
....cup polisher at Easter Road - shouldn't be a problem but wouldn't the tea lady be done out of a job in the corporate hospitality kitchens - the only place you would find plenty cups at Easter Road, muhahahaha :lol:

I wanted to be a vet when I was young (very young) then I wanted to be a Music Teacher too, then I woke up from the dream and realised I was still a storeman at Caithness Glass :cry:

ivy
09-Feb-06, 13:26
i always wanted to be a midwife when i was little and now im a morgage advisor so dont no what went wrong there...[para]

Tymey
09-Feb-06, 16:25
I wanted to be a train driver when I was little (still do) I work in a shop now. Bit of admin, bit of sales, bit of this and that.

squidge
09-Feb-06, 16:41
I wanted to be a teacher, lawyer or journalist, then later i wanted to be a wife and a mum then later i wanted to be social worker or a counsellor or work somewhere i could influence social policy.

today i do a job i dont much like for an organisation i think are rubbish and i cant just find a way out of it but i am sure i will eventually

landmarker
09-Feb-06, 16:48
I wanted to be a teacher, lawyer or journalist, then later i wanted to be a wife and a mum then later i wanted to be social worker or a counsellor or work somewhere i could influence social policy.

today i do a job i dont much like for an organisation i think are rubbish and i cant just find a way out of it but i am sure i will eventually

We all end up making compromises of one sort or another squidge.
Good luck. Your aims were laudible, and I'm reminded of that John Lennon quote once more.

squidge
09-Feb-06, 17:22
Aye landmarker

I try to be a great mum but the rest i was a spectacular failure at - still its fun trying though isnt it;)

Zambo
09-Feb-06, 17:38
I want to be Cup polisher at Easter Road, maybe this year ...YES!!!!!!

Easter Road - ah, what a place!

I would have liked to have been a vet, but I can't stand seeing animals in pain, and I'm terrified of needles!

emszxr
09-Feb-06, 19:04
wantd to be in sspca. did vet murse course to get me on ladder to it. then i became a van driver and running a business.

now i am a mummy and wife and love it, best job ever and wouldnt change it for the world

Julia
09-Feb-06, 23:33
For years I wanted to be a Pathologist

angela5
10-Feb-06, 00:02
I wanted to be a nun..never did succeed though.:eyes

munchkin
10-Feb-06, 23:45
my son is only 4 and all-ready wants to be an archeologist (no fire man police man)and he wants to dig for dinosaurs. pitty the group only starts from age 8 any body know were to find some(ha ha )

munchkin
10-Feb-06, 23:52
hi my son age 4 wants to be an archeologist and dig for dinosaur bones

Alli
11-Feb-06, 00:11
an interior designer or even a fashion designer. But these were not to be. My son when he was younger wanted to be the slaughter man in Green Road slaughter hoose! and a fire man in his spare time. Now he has aimed for the top and "just has to become a famous Rock Star". His own words!

landmarker
11-Feb-06, 00:14
my grand-daughter Eve, recently three wants to be a diver,
and a bus-driver at weekends.

Alli
11-Feb-06, 00:14
Never heed scoffing at e Hibbees. The boys and The Excellent Mr. Mowbray are doing an OK job. Lets hope they stay above a certain team who lost the other night to a group of well known sheep rustlers!!!!

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 00:59
An archeolagist......Rich.

And I wanted and still would like to be an embalmer.......Trish.

MJB
11-Feb-06, 04:51
Would love to be a Programmer or Systems Analysist. Maybe an admin of some form too.

What would be ideal in my opinion would be a job where I work 3 weeks in America and travel back to Thurso for 1 week each month......guess that would be some form of buisness man though. :confused (and of course with all travel paid by company and a huge wage)