PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Mothers, what do you think on this ???

Kodiak
30-Jan-09, 15:50
What do Mothers think on this story, or even Fathers, What would you have done if your wife was put through this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7860836.stm

K

balto
30-Jan-09, 15:53
aye i read this in the paper today and was disgusted, but the fact they have 2 rooms set aside for breast feeding mothers and this poor lady ends up in a cupboard, i am breast feeding my 9 week old and i am not ashamed to feed him anywhere.

gillian17
30-Jan-09, 15:56
Breastfeeding should be compulsary in public Men would love it and women would feel more comfortable with the situation. Providing its only kids and not twenty year olds.

balto
30-Jan-09, 16:01
Breastfeeding should be compulsary in public Men would love it and women would feel more comfortable with the situation. Providing its only kids and not twenty year olds.
it is no-one has the right to tell you to stop it.

wifie
30-Jan-09, 16:13

What a ridiculous statement! Compulsary? Men would love it? Some breastfeeding mothers do not wish to feed in public so that blows the first bit out of the water. If you look back at a thread on breastfeeding a while back some men don't even like it! If I were a breastfeeding mother I would certainly not be happy feeding my child whilst providing gratification for some oggling git!
The attitude of the hospital was ridiculous but it may have been the case that these breastfeeding rooms were part of a maternity unit not near the clinic area which would not have been much use. Of course being a news story we never get the full facts and nowhere does it say the woman made a complaint to the hospital so why whine to the media?
I have made my feelings on breastfeeding perfectly clear on here before so will not repeat them suffice to say I hope this thread does not go off on one like the last one!

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=51838&highlight=breast+feeding

balto
30-Jan-09, 16:15
What a ridiculous statement! Compulsary? Men would love it? Some breastfeeding mothers do not wish to feed in public so that blows the first bit out of the water. If you look back at a thread on breastfeeding a while back some men don't even like it! If I were a breastfeeding mother I would certainly not be happy feeding my child whilst providing gratification for some oggling git!
The attitude of the hospital was ridiculous but it may have been the case that these breastfeeding rooms were part of a maternity unit not near the clinic area which would not have been much use. Of course being a news story we never get the full facts and nowhere does it say the woman made a complaint to the hospital so why whine to the media?
I have made my feelings on breastfeeding perfectly clear on here before so will not repeat them suffice to say I hope this thread does not go off on one like the last one!
where i get your point, some mums dont like feeding in public, you can do it discreatly without anyone knowing what you are doing, it just looks like you are cuddling your baby.

ShelleyCowie
30-Jan-09, 16:32
That story is disgraceful!

I breastfed my son (Until i got mastitus) and i was not ashamed to breastfeed infront of anybody! I was never out long enough to have to feed him anywhere but home, but i would quite happily feed anywhere!

Breastfeeding to me is not a reason for men to oogle and drool ad my breasts but an opportunity to bond with my son and feed him.

I wish i could have continued feeding. It meant alot to me but unforseen circumstances made me stop. Luckily my son took to bottle feeding no bother! Greedy wee monkey! lol!

But this is an absolute disgrace that woman got shoved in a store cupboard in a hospital to feed her children!! [evil]

gillian17
30-Jan-09, 16:41
I agree with you Shelley. It is the hypocracy of it all that winds me up. You or I (I have no children) but if you want to breastfeed in public that is between you and the young one.

Westsider3
30-Jan-09, 16:42
Personally I think the media have a huge deal to do with blowing minor stories up completely. Has anyone stopped to consider the hospital staff who were probably being stretched to the max, yet took the time to find a quiet place for this lady? While I agree a store cupboard is not the best place in the world, it was maybe the only place available to them. It wouldn't have harmed the children nor the mother. I think that we are getting too high and mighty as a society these days. Too many people are out to complain or to get at folk. If this woman had been kept in the cupboard then fair complaint but she was most likely there for an hour tops! What a storm in a teacup!!

Oddquine
30-Jan-09, 16:42
Gillian17 seems to make a habit of posting for the sake of it, whether he/she has anything appropriate to say or not.

As to the original post, it must have been a downright stupid nurse to do that in the first place.

You'd have thought that, logically, there would be at least one well sign posted, private room near to an obstetrics/gynaecology department........because that is the most likely place to find mothers with babies.

butterfly
30-Jan-09, 16:53
[quote=Oddquine;493004]Gillian17 seems to make a habit of posting for the sake of it, whether he/she has anything appropriate to say or not.

well said oddquine,completely agree

ett23
30-Jan-09, 17:14

I don't think breastfeeding in public should be compulsory either. Not that I had any trouble or embarassment doing so(although I was discreet about it), but I know some women aren't comfortable with breastfeeding in front of other people. Everyone is different and it should be up to the individual to decide what they want to do. And the thought that men would get enjoyment out of it makes me sick. I can assure you my husband didn't 'love' to watch me breastfeeding and I would have been horrified if any other man felt that way. Yeuch. It's the most natural thing in the world and only perverts would get a kick out of it IMHO. [evil]

mccaugm
30-Jan-09, 17:18
I breastfed 2 out of 3 of my sons. I was never hassled for doing it wherever I was. I know there are certain laws about breastfeeding but until we had the advent of babymilk what did women do then? Being stuck in a cupboard is utterly ridiculous...would you have your lunch in a cupboard - of course you wouldn't. As for men oggling they would have to be pretty clever as whenever I breastfed I did it discreetly not for the enjoyment of dodgy blokes.

Forgot to say the only person that hassled me was my sister. She reckoned that breastfeeding was a form of exibitionism....how naive is that?

ShelleyCowie
30-Jan-09, 17:48
I breastfed 2 out of 3 of my sons. I was never hassled for doing it wherever I was. I know there are certain laws about breastfeeding but until we had the advent of babymilk what did women do then? Being stuck in a cupboard is utterly ridiculous...would you have your lunch in a cupboard - of course you wouldn't. As for men oggling they would have to be pretty clever as whenever I breastfed I did it discreetly not for the enjoyment of dodgy blokes.

Forgot to say the only person that hassled me was my sister. She reckoned that breastfeeding was a form of exibitionism....how naive is that?

I obviously dont know your sister but yes that is a bit naive of her to say!

Breast feeding is so natural! My partner supported me in breast feeding. If i asked he would help me position my son because i struggled for a wee while til i got comfy after having a c-section. Never did he see it as anything but feeding our son though!

However i did have a few people who were embarrased to be in the same room as me when feeding...in my own home!

My partners older 2 boys asked lots of questions about it and we were more than happy to answer so then they know what its all about. Its nothing to hide. Its feeding! :Razz

unicorn
30-Jan-09, 17:53
There were times that I would have had to resort to public toilets to find privacy to feed my daughter so a cupboard is way better than that for sure.

loobyloo
30-Jan-09, 18:19
There were times that I would have had to resort to public toilets to find privacy to feed my daughter so a cupboard is way better than that for sure.

Ditto about the toilets, ugh.
Second time round, I had more confidence though and would breastfeed pretty much anywhere. Like other orgers have said, it is not noticeable at all really: does just look like you're cuddling your baby. It is quite easy to be discreet about it and I'd like to have seen anyone try to stop me!
As for Gillian, what are you on?

ShelleyCowie
30-Jan-09, 18:32
Ditto about the toilets, ugh.
Second time round, I had more confidence though and would breastfeed pretty much anywhere. Like other orgers have said, it is not noticeable at all really: does just look like you're cuddling your baby. It is quite easy to be discreet about it and I'd like to have seen anyone try to stop me!
As for Gillian, what are you on?

take a look...she has been suspended.

Breast feeding can be discreet indeed! I tried to be discreet if people was in incase they did feel uncomfortable with it. But they knew i was doing it! It had to be done!

If i have any more children in the future i will definetely keep breast feeding because i will know to demand more help from the midwifes in hospital. When i had my son, they offered no help at all! Hence why i had so many problems.

I miss breast feeding but i know that bond with my son is still there! :Razz

30-Jan-09, 18:47
Several posts have been removed from this thread.

BRIE
30-Jan-09, 19:04
I know exactly how this woman felt! I remember breastfeeding my son in a cafe & being asked if I would mind not feeding him in front of the customers, I asked where she would like me to feed him & she told me to go & sit on the toilet!:eek:

ShelleyCowie
30-Jan-09, 19:18
I know exactly how this woman felt! I remember breastfeeding my son in a cafe & being asked if I would mind not feeding him in front of the customers, I asked where she would like me to feed him & she told me to go & sit on the toilet!:eek:

Oh my goodness! That is awful! :eek:

You should have said "well do you mind they dont eat infront of me because thats what my child is doing...eating"

Thats what i would have said! haha!

I was thinking about this thread as i was just bottle feeding my son. I know "breast is best" but i realised i can still hold him close, make eye contact when bottle feeding. My son is not a big child so is not greedy but likes to muck around and smile and giggle whilst getting fed so dont think i would enjoy breast feeding as much as i did when he was born! lol

TBH
30-Jan-09, 20:54
i am breast feeding my 9 week old and i am not ashamed to feed him anywhere.Even in a store cupboard?
That poor woman btw, forced bodily into a cupboard with her two kids, oh the humiliation.

Julia
30-Jan-09, 22:24
It's pretty bad but she maybe should have spoken up at the time although she did say she was stressed and the twins were hungry.

I'm not bothered at all who I feed my son in front of and as for men ogling women breastfeeding, in my experience they can't look away fast enough, it's them that are usually embarassed. I shouldn't have to but I always say to my visitors out of politeness 'do you mind if I feed him?', fortunately nobody has said no, I suppose if they did they would have to sit in the kitchen LOL

I've now passed the age limit for feeding him in public legally but I probably wouldn't need to most days so the public are safe for now! [lol]

ShelleyCowie
30-Jan-09, 22:53
Haha yeah alot of men instantly look away once they see that you are feeding! I had a few people that never knew where to look! :roll: Watch the tv for goodness sake! haha!

When i was in hospital there was 2 lassies in the ward that i got moved too after getting moved out the private room. The lassies were both about my age. They were both bottle feeding and i never knew if they were comfortable with breast feeding or not. We all got on really well though. I used to put a thin sheet over myself to feed him. Then one of the girls asked why i was doing it. I said i was feeding and she said not to be so silly to cover up. Its natural. That gave me confidence to feed infront of people. Obviously when their families came at visiting times i pulled a curtain round because there was young kids there! [lol]

lady penelope
31-Jan-09, 01:20
It's the most natural thing for a mother to do for her baby, everyone has a choice,I fed my eldest son in Macdonalds once, no one even noticed!

It is shocking that a mother should be given a cupboard to feed her babies in, she should have spoken up when she realised where she was.

Moonboots
31-Jan-09, 11:47
I personally think its upto the mothers choice. If she wants to breastfeed in public then let her..
I dont see the big uproar as it is natural after all.
Dont get me wrong.. if i see a mother breastfeeding then as what shelly said I just look away and leave them to it.

You probably do get the odd man having a good look but its not as if they can see anything really. Its not as if the mother is siting with both breasts out while feeding 1 child lol..

ShelleyCowie
31-Jan-09, 11:51
I personally think its upto the mothers choice. If she wants to breastfeed in public then let her..
I dont see the big uproar as it is natural after all.
Dont get me wrong.. if i see a mother breastfeeding then as what shelly said I just look away and leave them to it.

You probably do get the odd man having a good look but its not as if they can see anything really. Its not as if the mother is siting with both breasts out while feeding 1 child lol..

My goodness Moonboots! A sensible post from u about breasts...never thought i would see the day! [lol]

balto
31-Jan-09, 12:18
Even in a store cupboard?
That poor woman btw, forced bodily into a cupboard with her two kids, oh the humiliation.
there is noway in this world, i would accept being told to feed my baby in a cupboard, in this day and age breast feeding is so well promoted, so why should we feel ashamed to feed our children in public, i am sure there are other mothers on here, that will agree, if you have a screaming baby because they are hungry it doesnt matter where you are, not as if you have everything out on show is it.

Moonboots
31-Jan-09, 12:18
My goodness Moonboots! A sensible post from u about breasts...never thought i would see the day! [lol]

Only when talking about breastfeeding... Now breasts in general thats another story [lol]

golach
31-Jan-09, 13:11
I cannot see what all the fuss is about on this thread, just go on holiday anywhere on the Med and what are us poor males subjected too? Wifies getting their kit off on the beach asap and showing off their bits, tattoos and all, to all and sundry, regardless of the shape or form. And no mention then of men ogling and leering at them. [disgust]

ShelleyCowie
31-Jan-09, 13:39
I cannot see what all the fuss is about on this thread, just go on holiday anywhere on the Med and what are us poor males subjected too? Wifies getting their kit off on the beach asap and showing off their bits, tattoos and all, to all and sundry, regardless of the shape or form. And no mention then of men ogling and leering at them. [disgust]

The fuss is that a woman got put into a store cupboard of a hospital to breast feed her twins. Would you feel comfortable sitting in a cupboard eating? Surrounded by needles and bedding?

I know i would not!

As for being abroad well thats there, this is the UK.

golach
31-Jan-09, 14:02
Breastfeeding to me is not a reason for men to oogle and drool ad my breasts

This is the attitude that seems to be the norm on this thread, we men are not ogling at you breast feeding mothers, its in your imagination.

As for being abroad well thats there, this is the UK.

Why does where you are make any difference?

ShelleyCowie
31-Jan-09, 17:32
This is the attitude that seems to be the norm on this thread, we men are not ogling at you breast feeding mothers, its in your imagination.

Why does where you are make any difference?

Im not bothered about men looking at me when i was breast feeding! Im not saying every man that looked was oogling at me! im mean there is men that do!

Well when in rome do as the romans do...every country has their own way of doing things i suppose! I would never consider going topless abroad. But that is me! :confused

router
31-Jan-09, 19:56
When my oh had our 4yr old, we were in asda,and she was caught out and needed to breast feed her. Now asda have baby changing facilites, but when she went to ask about feeding the baby she was told to use one of the toilet cubicles, on mentioning the fact there were no seats, it was hinted to sit on the toilet and feed.

We left the shop and went home. No woman should have to do put up with this, but then neither do the companies have to have facilites in place.
A hospital on the other hand is different, there should have been the right facilities available, even if it meant a room on the maternity ward.

butterfly
31-Jan-09, 20:48
its hard to believe the hospital didnt have a room available for a mother who needs to feed her babies.a cupboard is not the ideal place but better than a toilet cubicle.i think more shops should cater for the breast feeding mum especialy shops that sell babyclothes and toys,restaurants too.if mums are to be encouraged to breastfeed their babies because its better then the goverment should make shops cater for their needs and not hide them away in cupboards after all it is only a natural thing they are doing.

JAWS
31-Jan-09, 21:52
The hospital would appear to have two rooms properly set up for mothers to breastfeed. I suspect that what has happened is that the mother has asked a passing nurse who was up to her ears with another urgent problem and has simply taken the nearest and quickest option.

The hospital certainly need to look into how the incident came about and obviously make sure it never occurs again but I suspect the problem is human created rather than having been cause by a lack of facilities.

That is not meant to excuse what happened but as a possible suggestion as to how it came about.
I agree wholeheartedly that being pushed into s storeroom to breastfeed a baby is, to say the least, a little unsatisfactory.

Goldie
31-Jan-09, 23:41
Shame on the nurse - even though there are two rooms set aside at the hospital, that she failed to make available, she should have had more sense and consideration and found a suitable and comfortable place to allow this mum feed her babies in peace and comfort.

In the words of Al Murray - Shame on you Nurse!

TBH
01-Feb-09, 00:32
there is noway in this world, i would accept being told to feed my baby in a cupboard, in this day and age breast feeding is so well promoted, so why should we feel ashamed to feed our children in public, i am sure there are other mothers on here, that will agree, if you have a screaming baby because they are hungry it doesnt matter where you are, not as if you have everything out on show is it.Maybe she should have stayed in the waiting room and fed her kid/s but she didn't want to so the hospital staff provided somewhere private.