PDA

View Full Version : Green Lipped Mussel

Shabbychic
30-Jan-09, 01:13
A few weeks ago I read somewhere on here that Green Lipped Mussel tablets are great for dogs with joint pain and stiffness. As my mum's dog has this problem, I told her about them and she decided to try them. The good news is, in less than 10 days there is a very remarkable improvement.

I have had problems in the past with my own dogs with Rimadyl and Metacam, and I would never use these again, in fact even the thought of them sends shivers up my spine. I was therefore so glad I found Green Lipped Mussel tabs, and would like to thank whoever it was who recommended them. (I can't find the post)

If anyone else would like to try them for themselves or their dog, I found a good deal at Simply Supplements (http://www.simplysupplements.net/product/53/green-lipped-mussel-500mg/) where they have buy one get one free and free postage.

Again, thank you so much to the person who recommended them.

Kevin Milkins
30-Jan-09, 11:39
My old girl is starting to feel the effects of getting old and if she gets carried away when down the beech and over does it she struggles a bit the next day.

Thanks for that link as there are a few products on there that I would like to try.

teenybash
30-Jan-09, 12:05
I would highly recommend green lipped mussels which are perfectly safe for both humans and animals alike. One of my old girls [she's nearly fourteen] has her daily dose and her joint stiffness is gone and she is much improved.
They are farmed in the fresh waters of New Zealand and contain no contaminates as the waters are pure and have been used by the Maori people for joint pain and athritis.
They take a few days to kick into the system, so it is not over night but, when they do start working you will be delighted to see Megan have a new lease of life....she might even out play her new pal.
If you feel a bit stiff yourself or to keep your joints in good order, take them yourself also.
Shabbychic is right....Simply supplements are the cheapest around that's who I buy from....no nonsense plain packaging and free post.

Liz
30-Jan-09, 14:57
I am interested in getting this for Charly my cat. What would be the dosage do you think, half a tablet? I take it that it would be one tablet for a dog?

Thanks!

teenybash
30-Jan-09, 15:18
I believe the dosage for a cat would be around 150 - 200mg.
The caplets I have, which I get from Simply Spplements are 500mg so you would have to cut them. Denes do a green lipped mussel capsule with glucosamine..............The pedgiree joint care chews for dogs contain the mussels which led me to do a bit of research................what I have never found is any history of adverse affects in humans or animals......

Hope this helps Liz.:D

carasmam
30-Jan-09, 15:30
I also get a shiver down my spine when rimadyl and metacam are mentioned. Some dogs do really well on these drugs, but unfortunately Cara did not. I also use green lipped mussel and occasionally shark cartilage. I get mine from zipvit, haven't shopped around lately so thanks for the link, I'll compare prices now :D

Liz
30-Jan-09, 15:35
I believe the dosage for a cat would be around 150 - 200mg.
The caplets I have, which I get from Simply Spplements are 500mg so you would have to cut them. Denes do a green lipped mussel capsule with glucosamine..............The pedgiree joint care chews for dogs contain the mussels which led me to do a bit of research................what I have never found is any history of adverse affects in humans or animals......

Hope this helps Liz.:D

Thanks a lot Teenybash. Do you give one caplet to a dog?

Btw Shabbychic it was Teenybash who kindly made us aware of the healing properties of Green Lipped Mussel.

Shabbychic
30-Jan-09, 15:52
Btw Shabbychic it was Teenybash who kindly made us aware of the healing properties of Green Lipped Mussel.

Thanks Liz, and thanksTeenybash for making a wee dogs life much easier.

teenybash
31-Jan-09, 00:58
Thanks a lot Teenybash. Do you give one caplet to a dog?

Yes I give my big girl one 500mg caplet and she is doing fine.... in fact she seems brighter all round and can even be a little bit mischevious!!!!!:Razz

Margaret M.
31-Jan-09, 04:38
My wee doggie has also perked up since I started giving him green lipped mussel.