PDA

View Full Version : An Old Crock remembers an old croc

brokencross
28-Jan-09, 08:59
As a little un I remember going to visit the mueum and sitting on this iconic old crocs back.
It is one of my earliest memories of my time in Wick. I was scared stiff of it at first but then got brave. Very pleased he is still on the prowl.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7851916.stm

jings00
28-Jan-09, 10:43
i remember when i was wee, my dad would take me a walks, and remember going over to the castle at thurso east and sitting on the cannons. gettin a rusty bum too.

domino
28-Jan-09, 20:21
Felt the same regarding that croc when I was young.

scorrie
28-Jan-09, 21:27
In the early 1980's my snooker partner told me that a guy he had been at school with had made love to his girlfriend on the back of that crocodile in the late 70's. I doubt that it was true but it left an image in my mind that has never gone away!!

Steve Irwin would be spinning in his grave!

webmannie
29-Jan-09, 00:42
a guy he had been at school with had made love to his girlfriend on the back of that crocodile in the late 70's.

Twas me and i'm not telling yous her name!!

If you look closely behind the left eye you'll see a nail mark

scorrie
29-Jan-09, 00:47
Twas me and i'm not telling yous her name!!

If you look closely behind the left eye you'll see a nail mark

Good Lord, you didn't crucify the poor lassie did you!!

I don't blame you for not naming her, I heard that her teeth were in a worse state than the Croc's ;)

webmannie
29-Jan-09, 00:58
Good Lord, you didn't crucify the poor lassie did you!!

I don't blame you for not naming her, I heard that her teeth were in a worse state than the Croc's ;)

In my defence I had 'beer goggles' on!! Come to think of it was there a lassie, i'm beginning to doubt mesel now?

scorrie
29-Jan-09, 01:02
In my defence I had 'beer goggles' on!! Come to think of it was there a lassie, i'm beginning to doubt mesel now?

You had better hope there WAS a lassie, otherwise David Attenborough and the RSPCA will be wantin' wordies wi ye.

brandy
29-Jan-09, 08:57
*giggles* now im going to have to wash my brain with soap to get the imaging out!
did have a look at wikpedia... and found some interesting tidbits on our scaly resident!
they are on the critical endangered list, so our friend is def. one of the last of his kind!
they arnt actually crocodiles! *grins* but a member of the crocodile family.. and they are fish eaters! cant eat anything bigger.. thats why their snouts are so long!
ohhh and who ever did the taxidermy did a really good job as i saw a pic of a fellow that could have been his twin!
wonder if anyone knows if our croc is a boy or girl?

webmannie
29-Jan-09, 13:24
wonder if anyone knows if our croc is a boy or girl?

Crikey don't tell me now that it's a boy!! :lol:

scorrie
29-Jan-09, 22:43
Crikey don't tell me now that it's a boy!! :lol:

Fess up webmannie. Were you making that Crocodile Rock? ;)

See you later Alligator!!

Moira
29-Jan-09, 23:19
As a little un I remember going to visit the mueum and sitting on this iconic old crocs back......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7851916.stm

brokencross, I remember him well too. I was in the Library this week and noticed that the Centenary Croc has been moved to a more prominent position in the Childrens' Area and I think that is where he belongs.

He may be missing a few teeth and some claws but I somehow think (and hope) that he'll be around for a few more generations yet. :)

webmannie
29-Jan-09, 23:34
Fess up webmannie. Were you making that Crocodile Rock? ;)

See you later Alligator!!

Rock'n and Rollin!!

She sailed away on a sunny summer day
On the back of a crocodile
"You see," said she, "he's as tame as tame can be,
I'll ride him down the aisle."

The croc winked his eye as she bade me goodbye
Wearing a happy smile
At the end of the ride, the lady was inside,
And the smile was on the crocodile!

Bazeye
29-Jan-09, 23:52
In the early 1980's my snooker partner told me that a guy he had been at school with had made love to his girlfriend on the back of that crocodile in the late 70's. I doubt that it was true but it left an image in my mind that has never gone away!!

Steve Irwin would be spinning in his grave!

I bet she thought she was in an Iron Maiden.:eek: