PDA

View Full Version : is the internet killing the art of conversation?

katarina
07-Feb-06, 17:57
News flash. Well is it? I'm definately getting faster with my fingers than I am with my tongue!

MadPict
07-Feb-06, 18:23
No.

;)

JAWS
07-Feb-06, 18:25
Personally I think the internet is a life saver.
It gives people a chance to cool off before they resort to manual strangulation.
I can confirm that face to face conversation can prove to be very life-threatening. [smirk]

Geo
07-Feb-06, 18:57
Yeah for us! You do have big sharp teeth after all! :)

Saveman
07-Feb-06, 19:03
It has increased the amount of contact between people to a certain extent. Before the Internet how could someone in the middle of the USA be able to read my ramblings? and I theirs? :lol:

landmarker
07-Feb-06, 19:06
I dont think it's killing the art of conversation but it's rather ironic that many people communicate regularly with distant acquaintances - often on the other side of the world - yet hardly know or pass the time of day with their next door neighbour.

Loafer
07-Feb-06, 19:21
Don't know about killing the art of conversation, but I can tell you one thing. It is killing the art of hand-writing. I used to be a lovely writer, but it has totally gone from me. I use a computer at work, a computer at home, my writing now looks a bottle of ink has spilled and a hen has walked over the page!!

The Loafer

connieb19
07-Feb-06, 19:26
All I can say is Thank goodness I have no-one living with me... There is no way i would want to come off the computer to speak to them..they would need to send me an instant message if they were to want any conversation at all...[para] I make exceptions for the dog and cat but believe me if they could type i'd buy them a laptop each..lol:D

krieve
07-Feb-06, 20:30
All I can say is Thank goodness I have no-one living with me... There is no way i would want to come off the computer to speak to them..they would need to send me an instant message if they were to want any conversation at all...[para] I make exceptions for the dog and cat but believe me if they could type i'd buy them a laptop each..lol:D
Lol connie you are funny.

wickerinca
07-Feb-06, 20:36

Oh Connie!!![lol] [lol]

I have to say that I don't think it is killing the art of conversation. I actually think that it is improving it in some respects because we now discuss things at dinner..usually things that we read about on the net...or stuff I have read about here and need to talk over with someone. No! I do not post all of my thoughts and mind wanderings on here or I would be sitting at this desk 24/7. Now I do have to go and sweep the floor as the dust bunnies have turned into hares and I am having trouble finding my littlest dog! Where is that Cher tape so I can shake my booty!!??

DrSzin
07-Feb-06, 20:40
I make exceptions for the dog and cat but believe me if they could type i'd buy them a laptop each..lol:DI have the perfect pet (http://www.cybersalt.org/cleanlaugh/images/03/doglaptopbed.htm) for you Connie.

connieb19
07-Feb-06, 20:44
Oh Connie!!![lol] [lol]

I have to say that I don't think it is killing the art of conversation. I actually think that it is improving it in some respects because we now discuss things at dinner..usually things that we read about on the net...or stuff I have read about here and need to talk over with someone. No! I do not post all of my thoughts and mind wanderings on here or I would be sitting at this desk 24/7. Now I do have to go and sweep the floor as the dust bunnies have turned into hares and I am having trouble finding my littlest dog! Where is that Cher tape so I can shake my booty!!??I suppose you're right in a way because when i'm not on the computer i'm talking non stop about what i might be missing, and how quickly will I be able to get back to it. As soon as I get home from work I dim the lights and lock the doors just incase I get visitors. I hate if someone phones me but I don't mind emails or instant messages..In fact I can't imagine life without the computer, what did I do before??? I've only had it since Christmas..:roll:

unicorn
07-Feb-06, 20:47
I spent years saying to hubby no we dont need a pc lol I have no idea what I done without it???????

krieve
07-Feb-06, 20:50
Bet you spend half the night private messaging or instant like me connie lol i need to get a life .

wickerinca
07-Feb-06, 20:52
I spent years saying to hubby no we dont need a pc lol I have no idea what I done without it???????

I know what you mean!!........I still haven't got up off this chair since my last post....frightened in case I miss something:roll: :D Oh dash it all..better go and do something constructive!

See you all later!:D

connieb19
07-Feb-06, 20:56
Bet you spend half the night private messaging or instant like me connie lol i need to get a life .I've got a better social life now than i've had in years..The quiz on a Sunday is the highlight of my week lol...I went out on Saturday and I couldn't wait to get home..:lol:

Countryman
07-Feb-06, 21:11
No is does not- it helps as we are able to talk about some on the different subjets on Caithness.Org.

Also being at home during the day it helps pass the time surfing the web during some of the wet days.

Would be lost without my PC.

paris
07-Feb-06, 21:28
Just think... if it wasnt for our computers we wouldnt of made such good friends on here!

weeboyagee
07-Feb-06, 21:34
.............hmmmm,....now let me think about this one.

Ma and pa have just left with me padding away on this laptop while they have been watching the tele, so take away the laptop and we would all be watching the tele. No is the answer - cause there was no conversation that the internet killed the art of! :lol:

Tele or laptop - well at least I now speak to people on the internet, instead of which I would be watching the tele. So in this case it has benefited the art of conversation.

If I was in the Smiddy and we had a laptop there then two things would happen - the internet would become a new party game and the internet sites would probably be worse at clearing the bar than the new no-smoking laws coming in on 26th March!! :lol:

Am I being too simple folks?

WBG :cool:

wickerinca
07-Feb-06, 21:46
.............hmmmm,....now let me think about this one.

Ma and pa have just left with me padding away on this laptop while they have been watching the tele, so take away the laptop and we would all be watching the tele. No is the answer - cause there was no conversation that the internet killed the art of! :lol:

Tele or laptop - well at least I now speak to people on the internet, instead of which I would be watching the tele. So in this case it has benefited the art of conversation.

If I was in the Smiddy and we had a laptop there then two things would happen - the internet would become a new party game and the internet sites would probably be worse at clearing the bar than the new no-smoking laws coming in on 26th March!! :lol:

Am I being too simple folks?

WBG :cool:

Nah!!!!!! Don't think you're simple at all!![lol]

Saveman
07-Feb-06, 21:52
Is there a support group for org addiction?

"hello, my name is Savey and I'm an orgaholic..."

:lol:

wickerinca
07-Feb-06, 21:56
Is there a support group for org addiction?

"hello, my name is Savey and I'm an orgaholic..."

:lol:

Round of applause:D

" Hello, my name is Wickerinca and I too am an orgaholic and my husband has just said that he is going to divorce me if I don't get off this computer and get myself organised for this dinner tonight!!":o

Errogie
07-Feb-06, 22:02
Not everyone is a brilliant conversationalist.
How often have you wished that you'd said something after it was too late to get it in. The p.c. and writing it down, o.k admittedly on keyboard, also gives great editorial control.
I think the art of letter writing may even have been partially revived to something approaching what people used to exchange by snail mail, and pre telephone years ago but obviously much more instantaneous, and how could you ever have had a discussion with people from all over the world like we are currently having!

connieb19
07-Feb-06, 22:23
Round of applause:D

" Hello, my name is Wickerinca and I too am an orgaholic and my husband has just said that he is going to divorce me if I don't get off this computer and get myself organised for this dinner tonight!!":oi'm an orgaholic too.i have tried to deny it but it's now got to the stage where i don't want to leave the house, i can't sleep at night and the dog misses her walks...please help:roll:

wickerinca
07-Feb-06, 22:36
i'm an orgaholic too.i have tried to deny it but it's now got to the stage where i don't want to leave the house, i can't sleep at night and the dog misses her walks...please help:roll:

Wringing of hands.........What to do? What to do? Have to get away from the screen......struggle, moan Help! Have to leave in about two minutes and hair still not done, clothes not changed, Video not set to record Coronation Street, face not washed, teeth not brushed,no make-uo on!!!.......I need help.....Who will save me from the clutches of this vile society? ....Mind you.....there will be a bottle or two of "fruits" circulating at this dinner...Ok! Must go! Sorry Connie you are on your own for the time being....but I'll be back tomorrow!!!:grin:

dragonfly
07-Feb-06, 22:43
you could try one of the following two ways of dealing with your addiction

only create fresh new posts, don't reply to old posts - this is known as ORGANIC

have quick fullfilling bursts on the website making sure you get the utmost enjoyment from your time - this is known as ORGASMIC
:) :)

JAWS
07-Feb-06, 23:17
I'm off to the Addiction Centre in Wick tomorrow to seek help for my Orgaholism. :eek:
My Doctor has previously refered me to a Psychologist for treatment.
I didn't have much success. I explained the problem and he ran out screaming that he was having a relapse.
He was last seen running from computer to computer and beating the screens shouting "Where's the Org? I need an Org, I'll die without an Org!"
I didn't mean to upset him, I think he needs serious treatment.

lassieinfife
07-Feb-06, 23:27
all my family on line so we chat daily.......have great chats when we meet up in person, would miss all my online pals,many who i have met in person and would never have met otherwise, including my best pal we discovered that we only live 5mins apart after chatting for weeks....small world

Mr Sensitive
08-Feb-06, 01:48
Used to be an orgaholic but cured now. Still dip in and out for the occasional taste.

Was good to be home last week. Didn't make it out much though, sorry.

Saveman
08-Feb-06, 10:56
Perhaps cold turkey is the answer.

In a roll with some mayo....

squidge
08-Feb-06, 11:53
Perhaps cold turkey is the answer.

In a roll with some mayo....

Only if someone makes it for me and brings it so i can eat it at the computer

Oddquine
08-Feb-06, 22:13

I've got it sorted...I have an old laptop wirelessly connected to the internet.....so I let them use it and I chat to my visitors on-line!

How sad is that! http://www.oddquine.co.uk/emoticons/th_sad.gif

http://www.oddquine.co.uk/emoticons/roflmao.gif

connieb19
09-Feb-06, 00:12
I have the perfect pet (http://www.cybersalt.org/cleanlaugh/images/03/doglaptopbed.htm) for you Connie.LMAO....thats him ok!!!!!:roll: :grin: