PDA

View Full Version : joining a commitee

balto
27-Jan-09, 21:56
can anyone please explain to me the way a commitee should be run, recently went on one as vice chairperson, but the treasure and secretary seem to be making all the decisions themselfs, including price increases, and various other things, other important stuff that should be discussed with the whole commitee they seem to keep between the 2 of themselfs, now i have been on other commitee's before and they were run totally different. i am plannng getting out as if it keeps going the way it is, they will be heading for a fall and i personnally dont want to be part of it. so anyone input would be gratefully recieved.

Kodiak
27-Jan-09, 22:08
At a Committee meeting the Chairman should be in control and should not let any other member take over. The Chairman is there to make sure that the agenda is kept to and that all decisions are fairly voted on. Makes no difference if they are the Secretary or Treasurer they should not be trying to take over the meeting. If the Chairman is not there then the Vice Chairman should Chair the meeting.

If the Charman is at the meeting and is permitting the Secretary and Treasurer to take control then a stronger Chairman could be required.

Personally if I was on a committee as you describe I would resign as soon as possible.

K

balto
27-Jan-09, 22:11
At a Committee meeting the Chairman should be in control and should not let any other member take over. The Chairman is there to make sure that the agenda is kept to and that all decisions are fairly voted on. Makes no difference if they are the Secretary or Treasurer they should not be trying to take over the meeting. If the Chairman is not there then the Vice Chairman should Chair the meeting.

If the Charman is at the meeting and is permitting the Secretary and Treasurer to take control then a stronger Chairman could be required.

Personally if I was on a committee as you describe I would resign as soon as possible.

K
cheers for that, even if there was meeting with other members it wouldnt be as bad, but these decisions are taking by the 2 of them behind their own front doors and they are the treasurer and secretary, so not even the chairperson gets a say, nah reckon they are going to run it into the ground

rfr10
27-Jan-09, 22:21
cheers for that, even if there was meeting with other members it wouldnt be as bad, but these decisions are taking by the 2 of them behind their own front doors and they are the treasurer and secretary, so not even the chairperson gets a say, nah reckon they are going to run it into the ground

This quite often happens at committee meetings- people trying to take matters into their own hands when they are not responsible for it. If the treasurer and secretary are making decisions behind closed doors, they should be putting these past the chairperson first before proceeding. Depending on how formal and serious the committee is, if they do not follow guidelines, they could get into trouble for this. Fair enough discussing matters wouldn't be a problem but that is what a committee is for- to make, discuss and finalise plans as a committee- not as individuals.

It is the responsibility of the treasurer to deal with all financial needs but any significant changes should always be past the committee as a whole. The chairperson is there to lead the meeting but all decisions should be made by the committee as a whole.

squeezy
27-Jan-09, 22:37
Balto - something else you should look into, most committees should be governed by a constitution or something similar. This document should lay out what changes need to be decided by committee, and what can be decided outwith the committee.

If not, I would get out, or get the Chair replaced. If they are not strong enough to control their Secretary and Treasurer, then they shouldn't be in post.

DeHaviLand
27-Jan-09, 22:45
can anyone please explain to me the way a commitee should be run, recently went on one as vice chairperson, but the treasure and secretary seem to be making all the decisions themselfs, including price increases, and various other things, other important stuff that should be discussed with the whole commitee they seem to keep between the 2 of themselfs, now i have been on other commitee's before and they were run totally different. i am plannng getting out as if it keeps going the way it is, they will be heading for a fall and i personnally dont want to be part of it. so anyone input would be gratefully recieved.

I think you're missing a very important point here. The correct way to deal with this is to bring it up at a committee meeting, not by broaching the subject on a public forum. I can see a total loss of credibility coming :roll:

balto
27-Jan-09, 22:49
I think you're missing a very important point here. The correct way to deal with this is to bring it up at a committee meeting, not by broaching the subject on a public forum. I can see a total loss of credibility coming :roll:
might have done if we had any meetings lol, anyway havent mentioned names what comitte it is or anything, all i was asking for is the best way to deal with it.

DeHaviLand
27-Jan-09, 22:55
might have done if we had any meetings lol, anyway havent mentioned names what comitte it is or anything, all i was asking for is the best way to deal with it.

Ah, that may be so, but there is more than enough information in your previous posts and your profile for anyone who knows you, to be able to identify you. It would be a simple matter then of adding 2 and 2.

Additionally, as someone has said, your constitution must stipulate when meetings must be held. If you dont have a copy, ask the Secretary.

A9RUNNER
27-Jan-09, 22:56
You need to call a committee meeting, And get it out in the open ;) Or secretly go round the rest of the committee and get feedback from them as to how long the secretary and treasurer have been doing this and then call a committee meeting once you have the backing of the rest of them, then kick some ass!

However in my experience of different clubs quite often quick decisions need to be made where there isnt time to call a full meeting so one or 2 office bearers get in touch with each other and make a decision for everyone. It may not be the right way of doing things but if every single thing that a busy comitee does has to pass through a full comitee meeting then very soon folk get fed up of attending long boring meetings where everyone argues the toss over simple little things and nothing gets decided.

celtic 302
27-Jan-09, 23:04
Should you really have taken up the position of vice chairperson if you don't know anything about committees?

rfr10
27-Jan-09, 23:13
Should you really have taken up the position of vice chairperson if you don't know anything about committees?

She may just be clarifying what she believes herself to ensure that she is not incorrect.

grumpy1
27-Jan-09, 23:17

im pretty certain that the chairperson should have the final say in any major decisions..a treasurer keeps the accounts in check and a secretary is there to take the minutes of the MEETINGS (that important decisions are made at..) they certainly shouldnt be doing it them selves....im on a couple of comittees myself being chairperson of one...and i can assure you that the guidelines we HAVE to follow say each member has a specific role and the two positions yr mentioning should not be making any decisions on their own if basic guidelines are anything to go by...

rfr10
27-Jan-09, 23:19
im pretty certain that the chairperson should have the final say in any major decisions..a treasurer keeps the accounts in check and a secretary is there to take the minutes of the MEETINGS (that important decisions are made at..) they certainly shouldnt be doing it them selves....im on a couple of comittees myself being chairperson of one...and i can assure you that the guidelines we HAVE to follow say each member has a specific role and the two positions yr mentioning should not be making any decisions on their own if basic guidelines are anything to go by...

Exactly! ...

grumpy1
27-Jan-09, 23:21

there is a fair point here...maybe you as vice chair could call a meeting. and make sure as many members as possible are able to attend then that way the actions of these two people can be made opento everyone

grumpy1
27-Jan-09, 23:23
Exactly! ...

thanks rfr10 us chair people have to stick together lol

Buttercup
27-Jan-09, 23:31
Purely out of curiosity ~ what on earth made you become vice chairperson on a committee that you'd just joined? And if they don't hold meetings how did you manage to join?:confused

Julia
28-Jan-09, 00:02

Over and above Office Bearers there has to be x amount of actual members as per your constitution, and a minimum of these members must attend x amount of meetings per year also as laid out in your organisations constitution. No two members can make a decision OR spend money without the rest of the office bearer's approval, all meetings should be minuted, u need to call an extraordinary meeting and sort this out pronto. Bear in mind there are usually 'whistleblowers' policies in place.

Typically the vice chair's position is the easiest, unless you are delegated a particular task you are only there to keep an eye on things, liase closely with the chair and act on their behalf if they are absent.

Margaret M.
28-Jan-09, 00:03
You obviously care enough about the organization to become a Committee member. If I thought a committee governing something that I cared about was not being run properly, the last thing I would do is quit.

The secretary and treasurer can make all the decisions they want but unless the majority of committee members support and vote for it, their decision should be meaningless. What is the Chairman doing about this situation? Does the committee have bylaws/a constitution drafted? If they do, refer to them. If not, getting those in place should be the first order of business and they should clearly state how the committee will handle the decision making process.

Usually one person makes a motion and if another seconds the motion, the issue is then opened for discussion. This gives those who oppose the motion an opportunity to state their case. Once the discussion concludes, the motion is presented for a vote. To pass, it must be supported by the majority, so unless there are only three people on the committee, the secretary and treasurer should not be able to run the show.

dirdyweeker
28-Jan-09, 00:37
You obviously care enough about the organization to become a Committee member. If I thought a committee governing something that I cared about was not being run properly, the last thing I would do is quit.

The secretary and treasurer can make all the decisions they want but unless the majority of committee members support and vote for it, their decision should be meaningless. What is the Chairman doing about this situation? Does the committee have bylaws/a constitution drafted? If they do, refer to them. If not, getting those in place should be the first order of business and they should clearly state how the committee will handle the decision making process.

Usually one person makes a motion and if another seconds the motion, the issue is then opened for discussion. This gives those who oppose the motion an opportunity to state their case. Once the discussion concludes, the motion is presented for a vote. To pass, it must be supported by the majority, so unless there are only three people on the committee, the secretary and treasurer should not be able to run the show.

You have put it just as I would Margaret M.
I would follow this advice Balto as it is spot on.

Fran
28-Jan-09, 02:28
I had this problem myself a few years ago when i was secretary of a committee. The membership secretary was great friends with the chairman and she was writing letters which i knew nothing about, yet I was the secretary, very embarassing. Apparently she had hoped to be elected secretary. In the end I found it quite upsetting so I left and she filled my place, They had some problems after that.The committee didnt run as it should and no notice was given of agm's etc.
I am now on three committees which i enjoy very much and all is above board and meetings are held properly.
I think you should leave, but bring it up at the next meeting or call for a special meeting and tell them what you think.

JAWS
28-Jan-09, 03:08
I agree with the general consensus. Any changes such as you describe decisions which should be made by the committee as a whole. The minimum number of committee members required to be present for such changes is usually laid down in the rules.