PDA

View Full Version : Sensible question about Caithness Tourism! No lie

Kenneth
27-Jan-09, 15:45
Does anybody do walks around Thurso for tourists in the Summer? Just wondering as a lot of them seem to wander aimlessly about the place not really knowing whats going on.

Also would be nice if there was a 'Caithness History' section in the forum.

I can be sensible sometimes you know![lol]

golach
27-Jan-09, 16:00
Does anybody do walks around Thurso for tourists in the Summer? Just wondering as a lot of them seem to wander aimlessly about the place not really knowing whats going on.

Also would be nice if there was a 'Caithness History' section in the forum.

I can be sensible sometimes you know![lol]
There already is if you should care to look

http://www.caithness.org/history/

wifie
27-Jan-09, 16:03
There already is if you should care to look

http://www.caithness.org/history/

Now gol we were all new at one time - and everyone deserves a second chance! :)

Kenneth
27-Jan-09, 16:05
ahh i knew about that, iv had a wee lookie there once or twice, interesting section about a distillery that was once situated on wolf burn but now there was nothing to be seen? i always wanted to find where that was

i was thinking an actual section on the topics dedicated to history. the link you sent isnt always particularly up to date...

golach
27-Jan-09, 16:06
Now gol we were all new at one time - and everyone deserves a second chance! :)
Wifie, What!!!!!

golach
27-Jan-09, 16:07
ahh i knew about that, iv had a wee lookie there once or twice, interesting section about a distillery that was once situated on wolf burn but now there was nothing to be seen? i always wanted to find where that was

i was thinking an actual section on the topics dedicated to history. the link you sent isnt always particularly up to date...
History is old, how can it be up to date[disgust]

wifie
27-Jan-09, 16:08
Wifie, What!!!!!

Are you gettin deaf now too?

BTW Kenneth well done on yer sensible thread - I've heard a lot about you! [lol]

gillian17
27-Jan-09, 16:10
I had a wonderful couple of hours in Thurso when I was at Aberdeen University. Looking at stromatolites at the west end of the beach (I think and stand to be corrected)

Kenneth
27-Jan-09, 16:40
Haha i knew you would joke about history being history and not up to date but it would nice to discuss things such as the thread i've started would you not agree???

Bobinovich
27-Jan-09, 17:07
There is a full-colour guide (http://www.caithness.org/atoz/thurso/historic_thurso_guide/index.htm), by local historian Alan McIvor, on sale in numerous places around the town. It gives 3 walks - complete with map - and points out various landmarks, giving a wee potted history about each, as well as some anecdotes. I found it quite interesting and it's reasonably priced too.

Murdina Bug
27-Jan-09, 17:16
The Caithness Countryside Rangers lead walks throughout the summer. They are more of the wildlife variety than round the town but they sometimes do one out to Holborn Head. There must be a link on here somewhere about it! I think they usually stick it in the 'what's on' section.

Kenneth
27-Jan-09, 17:37
id quite to read that wee book actually, thought it was a great idea! i quite enjoy gettin walks and talked around sites though so just wondered if anyone did this. i think it would be more on the historical sides of things as there are some very interesting point but yes you are right, the wee book covers some of them very well!

Reev
27-Jan-09, 17:48
History is old, how can it be up to date[disgust]

Bit much now mate, he isnt being cheeky! :confused

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Jan-09, 18:22
There is a full-colour guide (http://www.caithness.org/atoz/thurso/historic_thurso_guide/index.htm), by local historian Alan McIvor, on sale in numerous places around the town. It gives 3 walks - complete with map - and points out various landmarks, giving a wee potted history about each, as well as some anecdotes. I found it quite interesting and it's reasonably priced too.

Is McIvor really a historian? How does one become one exactly?

Sage
27-Jan-09, 18:27
Alan knows an awful lot about the town. In fact there's not much he doesnt know, and if he doesnt know it he will know someone who does.

You become a local historian by study and knowledge of your area :)

Green_not_greed
27-Jan-09, 19:57
This is what Visit Scotland say about Caithness......

http://i0zfia.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pN_XlwHWL1CYKA6mULg8q1uRCX9unZq0EigaHmSxW0m0HGro is4ZjRTHwhkr7RurZyWQcN-whCYQ/visit%20scotland.jpg

GNG

webmannie
27-Jan-09, 20:06
Is McIvor really a historian? How does one become one exactly?

Is Pepsi really a journalist? How does one become one exactly?

You become a local historian by study and knowledge of your area :)

You can become a journalist the same way also.

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Jan-09, 20:13
Is Pepsi really a journalist? How does one become one exactly?

You can become a journalist the same way also.

First sentence: Am not sure. I don't proclaim to be. But I guess if you say you're one, then you are. Do you think McIvor referes to himself as a historian?

Second sentence: That, unfortunately, is a matter of opinion.

webmannie
27-Jan-09, 20:32
First sentence: Am not sure. I don't proclaim to be. But I guess if you say you're one, then you are. Do you think McIvor referes to himself as a historian?.

I don't know him so I can't answer. I've only ever seen him referred to as a historian in a newspaper, so 'if it's in the paper it must be true' as the old saying goes?

I'm also guessing your missing a spell check facility on this medium Mr Journalist?

Second sentence: That, unfortunately, is a matter of opinion.
Absolutely, the opinion of your peers and all that. Same goes for the term 'Poet'. eh Mr Gunn?

Tugmistress
27-Jan-09, 20:41
This is what Visit Scotland say about Caithness......

http://i0zfia.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pN_XlwHWL1CYKA6mULg8q1uRCX9unZq0EigaHmSxW0m0HGro is4ZjRTHwhkr7RurZyWQcN-whCYQ/visit%20scotland.jpg

GNG

what a horrible impression to give prospective tourists! so much for promoting tourism in the county, the org does it lot better!

joxville
27-Jan-09, 23:18

I think that applies to most of the locals too. [lol]

Kodiak
28-Jan-09, 00:44
Have a look at this web site and if you are interested in History,geneology or Graveyards then this will give you lots of Information on where to go to. :-

http://www.freewebs.com/jalna35/

K

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Jan-09, 01:48
I don't know him so I can't answer. I've only ever seen him referred to as a historian in a newspaper, so 'if it's in the paper it must be true' as the old saying goes?

I'm also guessing your missing a spell check facility on this medium Mr Journalist?

Absolutely, the opinion of your peers and all that. Same goes for the term 'Poet'. eh Mr Gunn?

I think you've got me mistaken with someone else.

But am glad you picked up on my grammar, and that typo. You're absolutely right - it's bang out of order for someone such as myself. Unless something is completely unreadable - which is so rarely the case - it's mildly irritating, not to mention bad form. Many posters on here will be trying to squeeze in their tuppence worth in-between the boss shooting them a glance at work, others whilst on the go on their mobile phones and laptops, and what have you... circumstances where tidying up your contribution is neither practical nor essential. Others perhaps simply can't be bothered to type out basic msgboard posts as if they were professional essayists, regardless. And those whose written English plain isnae up to much - well, it's hardly a prerequisite for having an opinion on something related to Caithness. Sorry if it's a mod's job to be saying these things, but it is one of only very few pet annoyances I have in here; the craic is otherwise excellent.

wifie
28-Jan-09, 01:52

But am glad you picked up on my grammar, and that typo. You're absolutely right - it's bang out of order for someone such as myself. Unless something is completely unreadable - which is so rarely the case - it's mildly irritating, not to mention bad form. Many posters on here will be trying to squeeze in their tuppence worth in-between the boss shooting them a glance at work, others whilst on the go on their mobile phones and laptops, and what have you... circumstances where tidying up your contribution is neither practical nor essential. Others perhaps simply can't be bothered to type out basic msgboard posts as if they were professional essayists, regardless. And those whose written English plain isnae up to much - well, it's hardly a prerequisite for having an opinion on something related to Caithness. Sorry if it's a mod's job to be saying these things, but it is one of only very few pet annoyances I have in here; the craic is otherwise excellent.

Just what do you enjoy about this forum or Caithness? Baiting is all as far as I can see! Just my thick Caithness opinion!

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Jan-09, 02:03
Everyone has to have a home town and Thurso is mine. Caithness.org allows me to keep up with all the 'craic' and contentious issues that revolves around it. That good enough for you?

wifie
28-Jan-09, 02:10
Hell Pepsi watch out you were nearly complimentary about Caithness there! [lol]

Anne x
28-Jan-09, 02:13

I second That !!

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Jan-09, 11:03

I love Caithness but it's far from perfect. Is the county above criticism?

wifie
28-Jan-09, 12:06

Fair point - not one person or one thing is above criticism. Perhaps I have only seen yer negative posts! ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Jan-09, 12:15
Fair point - not one person or one thing is above criticism. Perhaps I have only seen yer negative posts! ;)

Negative by your own perception, perhaps.

wifie
28-Jan-09, 12:18

You crit yer way and I will crit mine! [lol]

golach
28-Jan-09, 20:27
Negative in many of your perceptions Pepsi, I am with Wifie on this one

webmannie
28-Jan-09, 20:44

Not at all, I know who you are and you are not a matelot of the Pictish Navy.

Errogie
28-Jan-09, 21:32
So to come back to the subject of where to walk and how to walk.

Do you really need a guide and a plan, what's wrong with picking a good day, packing a piece and just heading out. If you hit the sea turn right or left and follow the coast and keep looking over your shoulder to keep an eye on Morven, what could be simpler, make it an adventure, live dangerously, who knows where you might end up.
If the legs pack up flag down a bus, car or train to get back or ring your nearest and dearest.

Nothing could be simpler, why on earth would you need a countryside ranger or a guide to mollycoddle you through the countryside, I mean Caithness is hardly Alaska. I never thought the sturdy, independent inhabitants of Caithness could be classified as urban wimps!

wifie
28-Jan-09, 21:34
[quote=Errogie;492058]So to come back to the subject of where to walk and how to walk.

Do you really need a guide and a plan, what's wrong with picking a good day, packing a piece and just heading out.

LOL! Never thought of it as a dangerous pastime!

JAWS
29-Jan-09, 01:40
Yes, and I wasn't even born here.

Kenneth
29-Jan-09, 15:55
Oh Caithness is a fine old place. So is Thurso. Now im sure the tourists get a decent impression of the place, but im sure they would also like to know a little bit about it too, i was just wondering if anyone ever gave guided tours, if they were popular enough. I was toying with the idea of doing this in the Summer myself as one 1) i like to talk (this much is clear) and 2) love caithness history, and i love being enthusiastic about history (thanks to jimmy mackay the history teacher in THS, what a man he was!)

what does anyone think about that? would it be busy enough to get a tour once a week perhaps? am i suitable for the job??

S&LHEN
29-Jan-09, 16:40
Yes im pretty sure you could, Whether there will be enough people your just going to have to try it and see, If you advertise on the internet and you maybe send a few emails to travel companies(rabbies trails etc) to see if you can work together with them. Them advertising trip up here with guided tours will get them more people and will bring more money into Caithness, Thats how they do it in Skye and it seems to work for them and its good for the place.
And by the sounds of it you ll do a good job and be enjoying it at the same time. You cant go wrong :-)

Kenneth
29-Jan-09, 17:44
Thanks! Well i was really meaning a guided walk of thurso, not a tour of caithness! i cant even drive! [lol] I would be interested to see if there was enough business in the summer for this to happen. If anyone out there is interested or have any ideas or help! by the way, that would be great

Errogie
29-Jan-09, 20:28
Ha, yes packing a piece. I once had this conversation with a Calefornian about wilderness walking and he mentioned that he always "carried a piece" and I agreed that a good doorstopper sandwich went in my pack when I went out in the countryside. Of course what he meant was his piece was a revolver in case he came on a secret cannabis plantation with some unfriendly farmers!

Now back to walking in Thurso its difficult to know what to start with but the riverside, the Mall and across by the first bridge opposite the Mill and then up to the salmon pool upstream of the swept away cemetery bridge is a good introduction. You can also visit the cemetery if so minded and then follow the riverside back by the boating pond cross the river by the road bridge and downstream to the harbour and another dead centre, old St. Peters Church and grave yard where an ancestor was the last resident minister. Also take time to admire one of the oldest plantations in Caithness on the riverside.
The situation at the river mouth is full of interest and is the classic view across to what is left of Thurso Castle and the walk can then be extended by taking in a left turn from the breakwater, beach and esplanade then back to the town centre. Seals, cormorants, fishing activity, surfing, and old men yarning and staring out to sea, it all happens here!

George Brims
29-Jan-09, 21:23
I had a wonderful couple of hours in Thurso when I was at Aberdeen University. Looking at stromatolites at the west end of the beach (I think and stand to be corrected)
Fossil stromatolites, right? I've only heard of live ones in Western Australia.

George Brims
29-Jan-09, 21:24
It's mostly pretty low, so it's not above much else.

Bobinovich
29-Jan-09, 22:51
...what does anyone think about that? would it be busy enough to get a tour once a week perhaps? am i suitable for the job??

Well first thing would be to do a walk yourself and take notes, research your stories, get the facts, etc. & you'll need to know how long it's going to take too.

From a business point of view you'll have to decided how much you can realistically charge, and what the minimum size of party you'll accommodate.

Then put together some flyers and ask the hotels & guesthouses in the town if you can leave some flyers with them, as well as get them in the Tourist Information office window, cafes, etc.

Hopefully you'll get some feedback and maybe even some definite bookings. Good luck.

dirdyweeker
30-Jan-09, 01:47
Good for you Kenneth! I say if you feel capable and would enjoy the challenge then go for it. I know if I visited a strange (meant in a nice way!) place I would really appreciate a guided walk of the area.......on a good day.
Bobinovich has set out some excellent ideas to get you going.
Good luck.

Kenneth
30-Jan-09, 11:52
Thanks to everyone who is helping me with this....i mean its not set in stone if im going to do this but Im quite keen to do it. If anyone has any interesting facts about anything in Thurso, historical, architectural, natural (im rubbish with birds and grass so maybe a few of you naturists can help haha) or if you can suggest routes, id really appreciate that! :)

thirsaloon
30-Jan-09, 20:21
I know of three people who do walks in Thurso all on a voluntary basis already. A couple of them are members of the Caithness Field Club. Its also something that Caithness Horizons were looking into doing. Visit Scotland also has people who were trained up as tour guides for the county in general and both Wick and Thurso.

30-Jan-09, 20:45
Some posts have been removed from this thread thanks to a serial spammer.

Kenneth
01-Feb-09, 19:06
shoot me down in flames thirsaloon! id love a job in caithnesshorizons, what a great place to work, better than where i am just now anyway!!

thirsaloon
01-Feb-09, 20:06
shoot me down in flames thirsaloon! id love a job in caithnesshorizons, what a great place to work, better than where i am just now anyway!!

Didnt intend to come across as though I was shooting you down, just seen the thread and thought I would post who is doing what. In case you went to a lot effort and then dicovered that other people were doing it.

Kenneth
02-Feb-09, 17:48
haha no bother, I will have to have a chat with Caithness Horizons, maybe theyd be interested in helping me. Does anyone know for sure if people do walks around thurso?