PDA

View Full Version : HMS Ark Royal in Area

brokencross
27-Jan-09, 09:27
0825 GMT - Was on Pentalina watch on ShipAIS and see that HMS Ark Royal is sailing in and about the Orkney Isles and is near the Pentalina berth at present. In fact the Claymore just passed very close to it.

cemmts
27-Jan-09, 11:19
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1039160?UserKey=

brokencross
27-Jan-09, 13:15
Interesting, thank you for the link.

Fluff
27-Jan-09, 22:20
Did anyone get any pictures?

dirdyweeker
28-Jan-09, 00:43
I believe it passed Noss Head at 1pm?

Perhaps someone will stick a picture on....knew I should have gone and taken one!

sandyr
28-Jan-09, 01:44
Have been watching the movements of the Ark Royal.....Interesting to see they are commemorating the loss of the Royal Oak with the loss of ' 24 officers and 809 men....Are we still in that mindset of the Officers being seperate from the men?
Perhaps they should all be treated as 'men' They were all lost........I grew up in the dark ages in Scotland when so many people were classified as being better than others, and were they really?
'Rank and stature does not make the man'!

brokencross
28-Jan-09, 08:39
I don't think there is any disrespect meant in the way the casualty numbers are reported; it is purely a fact, a stark statistic.

In this article from the Caithness Archives it does not differentiate, just gives the total. (Acknowledgements to Caithness Archive)

Besides thinking they were in a safe anchorage, what makes it more poignant is that 2 men from Wick were killed in action only a few miles from their home town. The boy sailor was my dads pal and he often talked of the Royal Oak tragedy.

http://www.iprom.co.uk/archives/caithness/sub1.htm

golach
28-Jan-09, 09:43
Have been watching the movements of the Ark Royal.....Interesting to see they are commemorating the loss of the Royal Oak with the loss of ' 24 officers and 809 men....Are we still in that mindset of the Officers being separate from the men?
Perhaps they should all be treated as 'men' They were all lost........I grew up in the dark ages in Scotland when so many people were classified as being better than others, and were they really?
'Rank and stature does not make the man'!
I do not want to detract from this thread, but Sandyr it was ever so in the Royal Navy, the difference between Officers and Men, but in todays RN many of the "Men" are now female:confused
On a lighter note the RN's attitude to its personnel and their partners.
Officers have their Ladies
Senior Rates have their wives
Junior Rates have their women
Likewise
Officers get High spirited
Senior Rates get Socially confused
Junior Rates get Drunk

sandyr
28-Jan-09, 14:33
Golach.....How very well put......happens in all walks of life I guess.
And in a recent post you spoke of being an 'Excise Man'! Long time since I heard those words.
I have fine china 'statues' of Tom King and Dick Turpin....They are described as Highway Men or more commonly called Robbers. Ever heard of them...They were Excise Men of their own. Whatever they got they kept.......good until they got caught......

golach
28-Jan-09, 20:25
Golach.....How very well put......happens in all walks of life I guess.
And in a recent post you spoke of being an 'Excise Man'! Long time since I heard those words.
I have fine china 'statues' of Tom King and Dick Turpin....They are described as Highway Men or more commonly called Robbers. Ever heard of them...They were Excise Men of their own. Whatever they got they kept.......good until they got caught......
Sandyr of course I have heard of Dick Turpin and his famous ride on Black Bess, have you not heard of one of the most famous Excise Men, our own Robert Burns, you cannot compare our National Bard to a common English foot pad [lol]