PDA

View Full Version : Forum update - 3.8.0 - Changes

Colin Manson
27-Jan-09, 08:32
Hi,

I've updated the forum to the latest stable version, I'll list the changes below.

Social Group Discussion Threads

* Messages in Social Groups are now threaded into 'Social Group Discussions'.
* Discussion are sortable by creator, replies and last post.
* Discussions can be filtered with a simple full text search on titles.
* Users can subscribe to discussions and receive email notifications on new messages.
* Subscribed discussions with new posts are aggregated in the User CP.
* Individual Discussions have social bookmarking links (user defined, such as Digg, StumbleUpon etc).
* New 'Can Always' permissions to create and view both discussions and messages, simplifying access.
* Posts are now ascending, which is more intuitive in threaded discussions.
* Users can configure their groups so that only the group owner can create new discussion threads.
* Social Group info is hidden when entering a discussion or viewing pages of results to move focus to discussions.

Social Group Changes

* Social Groups are Read Marked using both database and cookie methods, based on new messages or discussions.
* Mark All will read mark all discussions in a group via AJAX.
* Social Groups can be subscribed to, adding group aggregation to the User CP.
* Social Groups now belong to a category.
* A group's category is displayed in the navigation breadcrumb, group lists and group info.
* A new overview page displays a random group, your groups, new groups and groups that you created.
* Groups that you created are navigatable via AJAX and display further information about the group, including pending members and moderated items.
* A category cloud is displayed in the group overview with popularity weighting based on the number of groups.
* Groups can be filtered by category, via the category cloud or advanced search.
* Social Groups can now have a group icon. The icon is displayed in the group info, and a thumbnail version is used in group listings.
* Icons are displayed on the User Profile page for groups that the user is a member of.
* Social Groups can now be transferred between users. The group will only be transferred if the recipient accepts the transfer.

Private Message Changes

* Read receipts are automatically accepted when a PM is replied to.
* A new Quick Reply can be used to reply to PM's.
* A new user option is available to set the default value for 'Save Copy' which is also used with Quick Reply.
* PM's can be ordered by Title, Date and Sender.
* When ordered, PM's are grouped by:
o Title - Alphabetical ranges (A-H, I-P, Q-Z, 0-9 and other) - Non ASCII chars are grouped based on transliteration where possible
o Date - Today, Yesterday, individual day names, Last Week, 2 Weeks, Last Month, Older, etc.
o Sender - Grouped by Sender
* Private Messages can be filtered by Sender, Title, a given date period, and whether the message has been read or not.

Profile Privacy

* With the appropriate permission, users can now configure which parts of their profile is visible, and to who. The configurable components are:
o Profile Picture
o Visitor Messages
o Contact Info
o Albums
o About Me
o Friends
o Recent Visitors
o Group Memberships
o Custom Field Blocks where the admin has allowed it
* The components can be configured to be visible to:
o Everyone
o Registered Members
o Contacts
o Friends

* Generally information is only hidden/displayed within the user profile page with the exception of Albums which also affects the ability to view the albums.

Albums

* Pictures can now be moved from one album to another.
* Album covers are regenerated when moving images if the cover is moved, or the destination album has no cover.
* The default albums view now displays recently updated public albums.

Lightbox

* Lightboxes can now be used to view all images in a post.
* Next and Previous buttons can be used to navigate the attachments, and wrap when the first/last image has been reached

Other Changes and Additions
* A new Terms and Conditions link is configurable and displayed in the footer by default.
* A new Community link replaces the Members List link with a submenu for Social Groups; Pictures & Albums; Contacts & Friends; and the Members List.
* A New Items submenu is also available with the newest Visitor Messages; Group Messages; Group Discussions; Picture Comments and Album Pictures.
* A new permission to view thumbnails in posts has been added. This allows users to see thumbnails even when they do not have access to view the full image.
* Forum rules can be viewed outside of the registration process, which is useful for logged in users when multiple registrations are disabled.
* PM Reporting.
* Subscription folders can be emptied with one click.
* New UTC and user date and time criteria for Notices.
* Improvements to Contact List editing. Show Avatars option is now preserved.

Any questions please reply here.

Cheers
Colin

canuck
27-Jan-09, 19:34
Looks great Colin.

Could we have it made a sticky, at least for a little while. Thanks.

Venture
27-Jan-09, 19:55
Thanks Canuck for suggesting it as a sticky. It'll take me a month to understand it all.[lol]

scorrie
27-Jan-09, 21:28
Is there an auto ringpiece detector included in the new version? ;)

dirdyweeker
28-Jan-09, 00:25
At first glance it looks like lots of changes! Will need to sit and slowly read it all and try to digest it. No doubt some of these changes will make for a smoother operation of the Org.

Scorrie....even "googled" your auto ringpiece detector!!! no further ahead :D

scorrie
28-Jan-09, 02:35
At first glance it looks like lots of changes! Will need to sit and slowly read it all and try to digest it. No doubt some of these changes will make for a smoother operation of the Org.

Scorrie....even "googled" your auto ringpiece detector!!! no further ahead :D

Sorry, I thought it was a well known term. I don't recommend googling it. Basically it is a term for people who behave like an anus. It seemed to me that there were several such candidates on the org recently and I had hoped that new technology could intercept such input before it hit the mainstream.

wifie
28-Jan-09, 03:12
Thanks Canuck for suggesting it as a sticky. It'll take me a month to understand it all.[lol]

Wow venture I am impressed - not holding out much hope for me gettin this in a month! :confused

Gizmo
28-Jan-09, 12:32
Sorry, I thought it was a well known term. I don't recommend googling it. Basically it is a term for people who behave like an anus. It seemed to me that there were several such candidates on the org recently and I had hoped that new technology could intercept such input before it hit the mainstream.

It's an 'auto ringpiece exterminator' that the Org needs for the neds that have infested it of late;)

Kenneth
30-Jan-09, 14:26
Yeah I hope it gets rid of them too!

Reev
30-Jan-09, 15:06
Yeah I hope it gets rid of them too!

Ill second, or even third that! :D

Ricco
03-Feb-09, 12:03
It's an 'auto ringpiece exterminator' that the Org needs for the neds that have infested it of late;)

Looks like it has been working too.

Thanks for the updates, Colin. Should make things run more smoothly - like an old and classy malt. ;)