PDA

View Full Version : Family Tree Builder

Loafer
26-Jan-09, 20:52
Hi

I am looking for advice on the best program to build a family tree. I am on Genes Reunited and the program they use is fantastic, but printing it out is another matter. It is over 6 pages (if you are lucky!!).

Can anyone recommend a program?

The Loafer

Sage
27-Jan-09, 00:39
Family Tree Maker is excellent, I've been using it for years. It does cost though, but its not dear.

robynaus
27-Jan-09, 01:02
I agree with both of you! Been using FTM and its very easy to use and Genes Reunited is good to regards robyn

kristy_mac8
27-Jan-09, 03:49
I agree with the others, I've only ever used FTM, and I love it, it's very straightforward, and there are so many different display options. One thing, though, depending on where you live (if you're in the US, this is a non-issue), but when I got mine, I bought the only one that was in the shops I went to, which I assumed was the only FTM package that was sold. It had all of these extra discs concerning the US that were of no use to me whatsoever, and I realised later that had I shopped around, or bought online, I could have gotten a cheaper version that had FTM and nothing additional, which was all I needed. Just something to consider.

Good luck with finding a program right for you.

Regards,
Kristy

domino
27-Jan-09, 20:39
I have been using Legacy for a long, long time . I have tried FTM and others but went back to Legacy. The basic version is a free download and if you like it the Pro version is quite reasonably priced. Highly recommend.

Loafer
28-Jan-09, 20:27
Thanks for all your help folks, it is much appreciated.

The Loafer

BrianJM
13-Feb-09, 01:21
Hi Loafer,
If printing is your main priority then a program I like is Oxy-Gen from www.oxy-gen-soft.net (http://www.oxy-gen-soft.net). It is not a tree builder, but give it a Gedcom file and your options are many. It's also free.
A free and easy to use 'builder' is Genius Family Tree. It used to be shareware but the author recently released it as freeware.
When you try Oxy-Gen I suggest the 'Lite' version first which means no world/country maps and town data.

Enjoy

BJM.

Tricia
14-Feb-09, 00:52
Good site
Thanks for link
Tricia :)