PDA

View Full Version : Painting a Metal Garage Door

brokencross
26-Jan-09, 09:05
The white gloss paint is flaking off my metal garage door. Really, really flaking, (over 12 years old)
Underneath, the dull grey primer coat is totally intact and sound. It is a ferrous material, (a magnet sticks to it) so it is not aluminium and needing a fancy primer.
I want to paint it so it will last and am not sure how to go about it. Does it need a primer coat, an undercoat or just gloss top coat?

Any idiot proof advice would be more than welcome and please try to be serious.

Iffy
26-Jan-09, 09:23
Hi Brokencross,

I would ssuggest that if your primer is okay and it's the top-coat of gloss which is peeling off, then it has no "grip" with the primer. I would suggest using a "Hammerrite" paint which comes in many different outdoor type paints and has been proven to last. Might also be an idea to lightly sand the primer first to give the topcoat a "key"; stopping it flaking. Happy painting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brokencross
26-Jan-09, 09:45
Happy painting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit of an oxymoron that.

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin Milkins
26-Jan-09, 11:20
http://www.hammerite.com/uk/lnk_car.gif (http://www.hammerite.com/uk/products/ps_garage_door_paint.html)
As Iffy pointed out, it is important to get all the flakey and loose paint off.

Hammerite do a speicial paint for garage doors, just click on the link above.

Good luck KM

poppett
26-Jan-09, 14:50
"Hammerite" ... that`s the stuff!

Some people are happy painting, don`t think I know any of them, but they are out there somewhere.

As for oxymorons............... wonderful stuff.........Honest lawyer, one of my all time favourites.

percy toboggan
26-Jan-09, 18:33
Smooth Hammerite will last twice as long...unless you want to look Hammered!

I'd not hesitate to use outdoor conventional gloss...which will bring several years f satisfaction. My own garage door is a slick black but on closer inspection might need a little attention this summer.

Sadly, I enjoy looking at my garage door. The angled reflection of the moon in the deep lustrous black sheen is particularly splendid.

brokencross
27-Jan-09, 08:10
The angled reflection of the moon in the deep lustrous black sheen is particularly splendid.

Poetry in motion.....keep taking the tablets[lol]