PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Standby Problem

Nibbler
26-Jan-09, 08:37
Well, here I am - dumbo.

We have a laptop which I normally put into standby mode when I go out and about.

The last twice now, when I have done this, the computer is coming up with a stop error (something about a thread being caught in a device driver) and it is restarting itself. (I do know it isn't a real thread - I could pull it out if it was :lol:.)

Does anyone have any ideas what is the problem and how to fix?? It does bring up a web page about reinstalling the driver but really dont want to do that as it is the other half's computer!!!

Help!!! :confused Please.

blueivy
26-Jan-09, 10:36
Well, here I am - dumbo.

We have a laptop which I normally put into standby mode when I go out and about.

The last twice now, when I have done this, the computer is coming up with a stop error (something about a thread being caught in a device driver) and it is restarting itself. (I do know it isn't a real thread - I could pull it out if it was :lol:.)

Does anyone have any ideas what is the problem and how to fix?? It does bring up a web page about reinstalling the driver but really dont want to do that as it is the other half's computer!!!

Help!!! :confused Please.

I would either:

Download an updated driver and install - the driver may just be badly written which is why it's causing the stop error. Hopefully a newer version will have fixed the problem. Updating the driver is usually (not always) a good thing anyway.

OR

Reinstall the driver - it may be corrupt which is causing the stop error. Reinstalling it would overwrite that corruption.

The other option is to reinstall Windows but I think that's a bit drastic at this stag when there are other options to try. If the problem is driver related then reinstalling Windows won't fix the problem anyway!

Nibbler
26-Jan-09, 11:16
Many thanks Paul. It is not causing any other hassle so will leave well alone until my other half is home.

Really appreciate your response though :)