PDA

View Full Version : Holiday in Tunisia

plumber
25-Jan-09, 22:13
Looking at Hammamet in Tunisia for summer holidays, wondered if anyone has been and if so what like was it? What sort of things are there to do and places to visit. Thanks

motoxmum
30-Jan-09, 17:52
Looking at Hammamet in Tunisia for summer holidays, wondered if anyone has been and if so what like was it? What sort of things are there to do and places to visit. Thanks

We went to Tunisia in July last year and i personally wouldnt recomend it! We went for a fortnight all inclusive and after about 5 days wanted to come home. It was very very hot averaging 46 degs most days which sounds great but believe me just too much, especially for younger kids. Our kids at the time were 6, 8, 16 and 18, the younger two got very burnt even with factor 60 sun block on!! Our youngest took an ear infection too and had to be treated at the complexes medical unit, we had to pay upfront for all treatment which we then had to claim back on our holiday insurance when we got home. The food was okish, very traditional and loads and loads of puddings and overly sweet stuff. There are not alot of things to see, we did a couple of outings while we were there but found we had to travel for miles before we got there. Alot of begging going on too which was very overpowering. We have holidayed lots of places and never have we said we wouldnt go back, but Tunisia we NEVER want to go back to, and whatsmore we never spoke to anyone on our flight home who said they would go back either.. Sorry if this sounds very negative but hope it helps.

sweetpea
30-Jan-09, 19:22
I was there in September. The star rating system for hotels is not what we have here, the heat I loved and if your after a holiday lying on the beach it's great. The food was crap, we were lucky enough to find a good french restuarant and ate there most nights. Yes, everything was cheap but you hassled everywhere by people trying to sell you stuff.
It's easy to get ripped off so if you do go never take anything out of their hands or they consider it sold.
We had a hairy experience with a camel trip, it was nothing like what they said. We were told a coach would pick us up and shown pics of people having a good time, in reality we were the only ones picked up in a truck and taken to a shack and dropped off, the guy only spoke arabic, most speak french and we were getting really worried if the truck would come back for us or what was going on. The place is very run down.;)

binbob
30-Jan-09, 21:13
spent a week in hammamet...plagued by bluebottles..gardens had to be fumigated every evening.food was awful...........we would NEVER go there again,but we have had friends go to el kantoui...and it was super ...much closer to airport too.

we also saw dead dogs in the streets and one poor dog running about with a broken leg.very upsetting ...i love dogs.
so for me ...A BIG NO!!![evil]

plumber
30-Jan-09, 21:40
Thank you all for your comments, it is good to hear from someone who has already been.