PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Tunisia thread?

percy toboggan
25-Jan-09, 18:07
I 'd composed a long reply en all...
so here it is.

Went in 1988 for a fortnight but was far from an early pioneer.
Stayed in a four star hotel in Sousse.

Remember this is still a third world country.

Beer/brewery is state owned and palatable. Weather in July/August is incredibly hot.
Beaches are good and the Med. rolls in suitable shades of blue.
Beware beggars. Be prepared to be mithered and insulted if you do not buy. Make eye contact with a vendor and you'll be pestered no end.

Was told to 'get stuffed' several times in pigeon English...at the time Maggie Thatcher was in power and as we left some stalls in the souke without buying ...'Ingleesh no money' would ring in our ears.

We seldom braved a walk outside the hotel complex in the evening. Nowt much doing. Went on a few excursions...one to an 'oasis' which was little more than a stinking dump.

Also went to the Atlas Mountains and edged the Sahara...pausing at at a place called Mahtmata - they make rugs there. Saw a few caves where troglodytes lived. No wonder they went underground it was so flippin' hot !

Had a camel ride which was painful - and early sign of hip trouble perhaps but the humped lummox was so blummin' wide I alighted the bad tempered beastie feeling like a wishbone!

Big black scarab like Beetles abound. One night my daughter screamed hysterically as a huge multi coloured flying thing invaded the bathroom....I managed to trap it in the door jamb and crunched it to death - quickly.Emerging as a hero for once, I was shaking at the experience - it was 'orrible.

Incidentally if you eat local chickens prepare for them to be scrawny. In fact the whole menu was far from a gastronomic dleight. 'Pigs Checks' on the first night...I cursed myself for venturing down there in search of cheap sunshine.I'm still not sure what 'Pigs Checks' are/were.

Most people were friendly but they wanted uz money. Naturally they think anyone who can afford to fly abroad for a holiday is minted.

It's hard to believe this was over twenty years ago.

I left vowing never to return to a third world country. Since then the whole Muslim thing has sprung up. I brought back a pot mosque which resided on a shelf for years until we binned it. I'd not venture within several hundred miles of the place now.

Apart from all that it was okay but...

Go to Turkey instead.

Bobinovich
25-Jan-09, 19:21
It was deleted by the OP, but I'm sure they will see & be grateful for your reply Perce!

neepnipper
25-Jan-09, 22:42
We went to Tunisia in about 1992, spent a week on an island, it wasn't Djerba, can't remember what it was called, I got stung on the bum by a jellyfish when I fell off my windsurfer, I suppose I did squish it a bit! There were piles of odd shoes everywhere (?!) and scorpions, I remember eating egg brik (spelling?) an egg fried in filo pastry which was quite nice.

We spent the second week in Sousse, we hired a taxi and there was a picture of Sadam Hussein hanging from the rear view mirror! They were terrible for grabbing hold of you and really trying to make you buy stuff, a bit scarey sometimes.

Wouldn't go back to Tunisia but love Turkey, been there about a dozen times, much gentler folk, not pushy, happy to stand and have a chat to you, never had a bad experience there.

plumber
25-Jan-09, 22:55
Thanks folks,sorry moved it to recommendations

plumber
25-Jan-09, 23:03
We went to Tunisia in about 1992, spent a week on an island, it wasn't Djerba, can't remember what it was called, I got stung on the bum by a jellyfish when I fell off my windsurfer, I suppose I did squish it a bit! There were piles of odd shoes everywhere (?!) and scorpions, I remember eating egg brik (spelling?) an egg fried in filo pastry which was quite nice.

We spent the second week in Sousse, we hired a taxi and there was a picture of Sadam Hussein hanging from the rear view mirror! They were terrible for grabbing hold of you and really trying to make you buy stuff, a bit scarey sometimes.

Wouldn't go back to Tunisia but love Turkey, been there about a dozen times, much gentler folk, not pushy, happy to stand and have a chat to you, never had a bad experience there.
Thanks neepnipper, have been to Turkey and didn't like it, said I would never go back there. was realy wanting to know if Tunisia is anything like Turkey