PDA

View Full Version : A Guidance note for Reputations

Colin Manson
07-Feb-06, 11:43
Reputation ratings are causing a fair amount of issues at the moment, it is my intention to remove/reduce those issues by setting up a system for the use of reputations.

General Overview

Ratings are not to be used -

when you disagree with an opinion.

if you think the subject is boring because you aren't interested in it.

to highlight poor grammar or spelling.

Rating are to reflect -

the quality of a users post.

helpful or not.

- All ratings must have a comment.

- Abuse in Ratings will lead warrent a ban.

- Random ratings will checked and any that don't appear remotely reasonable will be removed. Especially negative reps. Users that continue to abuse the system will suspension/ban.

This is just a draft, comments are welcome. :D

Cheers
Colin

MadPict
07-Feb-06, 11:51
Just disable the reptations system and save yourself a lot of additional work.

Gleber2
07-Feb-06, 13:41
Here here!!

Colin Manson
07-Feb-06, 14:20
The idea is to save us additional work, it provides us with a quick reference, allows us to find out if other users are upset by a particular post or user.

MadPict
07-Feb-06, 14:32
The idea is to save us additional work,

Seems that having to check reps for abuse is creating work...

it provides us with a quick reference,

Isn't that what a members post history is for?...

allows us to find out if other users are upset by a particular post or user.

You already have a Report Bad Post button - if someone is offended by a members post or attitude they can use this to link directly to the post.

These forums survived up to now without the Reps - why change something that didn't need changing? Just because you have more "tools in your box" following the forum upgrade doesn't mean to say you have to use them....

Doleve
07-Feb-06, 14:50
They can only improve then.ive only heard bad things about the rep. system, and how easily it is abused.

katarina
07-Feb-06, 14:57
Well, I think it's a good idea!

Countryman
07-Feb-06, 14:57
Is this really needed - does it only confuse

Saveman
07-Feb-06, 15:00
I feel slightly less of a human being because I've only got one green rectangle

cuddlepop
07-Feb-06, 15:20
But its a lovely green rectangle,Savey.
Personally Ignore rep system and just enjoy the forum:grin:

Saveman
07-Feb-06, 15:27
Thank you cuddlepop.....that's also good advice.... :)

Colin Manson
07-Feb-06, 15:28
Seems that having to check reps for abuse is creating work...

It is but it's much quicker than reading all the posts

Isn't that what a members post history is for?...
Sure if you have hours to spare and want to read every post.

You already have a Report Bad Post button - if someone is offended by a members post or attitude they can use this to link directly to the post.

This feature is used to report posts that clearly break the rules and require immediate action, it's not designed for letting us know that a User is pushing the limits.

These forums survived up to now without the Reps - why change something that didn't need changing? Just because you have more "tools in your box" following the forum upgrade doesn't mean to say you have to use them....

If we had that mentality we'd still be using the original Tforum, I'm sure we could revert back to that if you really want.

MadPict
07-Feb-06, 16:30
Colin,
Please don't read my contributions to this thread wrong - you and Niall do a great job and provide a great service. End of the day, it's your site and you do as you see fit. I am just expressing my opinion as to one aspect of the forums.
In no way do I suggest returning to the old software - just that we didn't have the Rep system then and you did a fine job keeping everyone in check.

You state that "all ratings must have a comment" - care to check mine? In particular the one timed at 05-02-2006 08:19 PM - I have a pretty strong hunch as to the person "Bad Repping" me.

I will now shut up about this - one thing is for certain though when the forum I help run upgrades to vB3.x this is one feature which will not be activated....

Cedric Farthsbottom III
07-Feb-06, 16:34
I'm quite new to the forum but I just got promoted today from a junior member to a member,but what do the green rectangles mean?

Saveman
07-Feb-06, 16:37
Click on "User CP"

Scroll to the bottom to see your reputation and any comments left.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
07-Feb-06, 16:47
Thanks Savey.I will try and learn how to use a computer yet,hee-hee:lol: Out of curiousity how do you manage to put things into paragraphs,etc.Evey time I try my post looks like a Sudoku grid.:lol:

badger
07-Feb-06, 16:49
I'd be happier without it, partly because I forget to look at mine and then find someone has sent a nice message - rather like an alternative PM. Then I forget to use it so have never posted reps. to anyone else and feel guilty. Seems like an added complication - we have the forums for public messages and PMs for private ones, why do we need anything else? People pushing limits get told pretty quickly in the forum and if they go too far they can be reported. Isn't that enough?

Saveman
07-Feb-06, 16:49
I'm not sure what you're asking me....do you mean paragraphs in a post like this?

I just press return a couple of times then start the new paragraph... :)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
07-Feb-06, 17:08
Cheers Savey

I am now an official paragraph writer:lol:

Fluff
07-Feb-06, 20:51

* to highlight poor grammar or spelling.

Rating are to reflect -

* the quality of a users post.

Surley the two are the same thing? If there are very badly spelt words/awful grammer, that is reflecting on that persons post?

jjc
07-Feb-06, 20:57
to highlight poor grammar or spelling.Rating are to reflect -
the quality of a users post. But to me grammar and spelling are a part of the ‘quality’ of a post.

We all make mistakes and who really cares whether an apostrophe is out of place or writes ‘their’ when they needed ‘there’? But I do object to having to decipher entire posts that have been written entirely without capitalisation or punctuation of any sort and having to guess at what different ‘text’ abbreviations mean is infuriating.

I’d consider the quality of such posts to be so low as to warrant a negative rating, but I’d base that on the quality of the grammar. Will there be an exception to the rule in such extreme cases?

connieb19
07-Feb-06, 21:06
I think a lot of folk, especially the young ones, are used to writing in text form eg. m8 = mate. I don't see why this should be held against anyone or that they should be given bad reputation for it, it's just a sign of the times. It dosn't make them any less entitled to their opinion!!

DW
07-Feb-06, 21:44
It's just another way of us poor, sad British folk perpetuating the class system; along with the 'junior member, member, senior member, trusted member, super duper member, wonderfulscrummylovely member' system

We just have to perpetually know that we are better than some other poor schmuck.

Why can't we all just be members who post; if we screw up we get sorted; endo of story and no CLASS system.:roll:

weeboyagee
07-Feb-06, 21:55
As I said before, I was sceptical about the rep before but I think it's a great thing. In an indirect way it will encourage posters to post quality postings - this leads to a greater level of interest in the forums I think.

I always sign my reps because I have nothing to hide and I don't bad rep as a matter of course - only once in the history of me being on the org. You get a good feeling getting good rep and a good feeling giving it. I got bad rep two days ago for a post on the "happy birthday" thread to willowbankbear and astra. So what - there was no comment and no signature and worse still there was NOTHING to give me an idea of what I had done to deserve it - that will now stop and either make the person think twice or at least now let me know the reason. Better still, given the new rules, I wouldn't be able to be vengeful by "getting them back".

For those who get a lot of bad rep - whether you warrant it or not, I think that these new rules are spot on and will help you and the moderators have obviously done their work in summarising the messages they have received and the various reviews they have undertaken.

I think that a lot of people will benefit from it. Hopefully we will now see a lot more green boxes appearing all over the place. Mad Pict snaffled a whole string of them from somewhere and was offering them around at one time :lol: He shouldn't be too bothered about the rep system - he has a whole mini-system all of his own!!! :lol:

MadPict
07-Feb-06, 22:01
I have some lying around spare if you want them WBG!!! :D

2little2late
07-Feb-06, 22:05
I was accidentally given a bad rep. Can this be rectified?

DrSzin
08-Feb-06, 13:23
Shouldn't this thread be sticky?

saxovtr
08-Feb-06, 13:30
lol you all got bad ratings now for arguing lol its a good idea i thot but hey not every1 has the smae opinion

squidge
08-Feb-06, 13:33
But to me grammar and spelling are a part of the ‘quality’ of a post.

We all make mistakes and who really cares whether an apostrophe is out of place or writes ‘their’ when they needed ‘there’? But I do object to having to decipher entire posts that have been written entirely without capitalisation or punctuation of any sort and having to guess at what different ‘text’ abbreviations mean is infuriating.

I’d consider the quality of such posts to be so low as to warrant a negative rating, but I’d base that on the quality of the grammar. Will there be an exception to the rule in such extreme cases?

I think that text speak is how the youngsters like to type. To be honest does it matter if the spelling is correct or the sentences are structured properly as long as we can tell what they mean. jjc you are nowhere near as old as me and i can understand a wee bit of text speak. Its communication after all and people shouldnt be put off posting cos they cant use semicolons or spell very well. Young people should be encouraged to post and using text speak is what they do.

Colin Manson
08-Feb-06, 13:51

No exceptions, I would hate to think that some people would not post in case they might be bad rep'd just because they have problems with grammar or spelling.

** Edited to fix poor spelling/grammar :)

JAWS
08-Feb-06, 15:41
Colin's got a black mark! Colin's got a black mark! Nah, nah, na, nah, nah!
Sorry, I'm just being a baby. :D

My spelling's good because I have a first class spel chequer. My punctuation is the best my fingers will do at the time.
My main problem is the numbers and squiggles that occasionally appear. Then again I don't txt mny yngsrs, so I just either treat them as a challenge or ask for clarification.

The only concern I have with a post is, do I understand what the person is trying to say. If the answer is yes then that's all I care about, if it's no, then I ask of ignore as the case may be.

Colin, is there any way of including the sender's name with the rep? It might just make people who try to abuse the system stop and think. (I am, of course assuming they have at least some brains to think with)
The less chance there is of members abusing it, the easier it should make your job.

Once I got over my initial, "What on earth have they done to the Board?" and got used to the layout I find it better than the old one.

badger
08-Feb-06, 17:32
If we must have Reps then I agree with Jaws - the sender should include their name. If the new rules demand a comment then couldn't they also ensure Reps. aren't anonymous.

I have a problem with bad spelling and grammar because I find it distracts from the message and, yes, this is partly a sign of age. My father was an absolute stickler so I suppose some of this has been passed down. It isn't anything to do with class but it is directly related to lower standards in education - half the teachers these days can't spell so what chance do their pupils have? However that's another whole thread in itself so I'd better stop there - except to say that as a child I would never have been allowed to write "can't" and "I'd" :~(

Julia
08-Feb-06, 17:39
I'm a wee bit confused, can someone put me straight on reps please...

Why do dome members have two green squares joined together instead of just the one?

Why are some members with over 100 posts still just members and not 'trusted members'?

And finally what is the criteria to become a 'senior member'?

I'll sleep better tonight if someone would just put me out of my misery :p

Niall Fernie
08-Feb-06, 18:37
On the topic of "junior member", "member", "senior member"... this is simply an indication of how long a user has been a member and how much of a contribution they have made to the forum (number of posts). It could as easily be "part-timer", "full-timer" and "old-timer". Myself and Colin talked over various ideas years ago in the early days of having phpBB but could never come up with anything that really suited the site. Once you've been on a few forums you get used to the idea of how these things work and hardly give it a second thought. I'm interested to hear any ideas for "rank" names. (PMs please)

Trusted users are called that because they are trusted with a few additional features on the forums. With some of the "children" about who think its fun to come and swear at the grownups would anyone seriously expect us to allow them to post whatever they like as avatars or attach nasties to posts as soon as they join. Considering the 30-60 posts they manage to batter in during one night, I'd hate to see the mess in the morning. The name for this group of users was based on laziness more than anything else, with everything else that was going on at the time, "who would care what they were called?" :roll: We were also worried about the level of bandwidth the new features on the forum would eat away (18 gigabytes in January). Perhaps the whole idea was paranoia on our behalf and the problems we expected may never occur to any great degree, so the whole "trusted users" group may be disbanded.

I think the reputation debate will rage on for a while yet, we've heard much more silence than we have complaints. (plus its funny watching people lie about how they conduct themselves in the rep system "I always leave my name" idd :lol: )

BTW: if you're thinking of names for the ranks, consider this...

On a techie forum where I am just a "noob" their top rank is "Guru" and the funniest post I saw on what was a pretty dry site went something like:

"hay ive jst notived tht am a giru wot dos iyt meen?"

paris
08-Feb-06, 19:02
I was accidentally given a bad rep. Can this be rectified?

It was me, i confess , but i did have the guts to say it was me. It was a slip of the finger or should i say i wasnt looking properly. ( didnt have the glasses on ) .SORRY AGAIN 2 LITTLE2LATE .

JAWS
08-Feb-06, 21:55
Niall, names that are "Rank".

How about "Idiots", "Bigger Idiots" and "Help, get the Psychiatrist"? :p

2little2late
08-Feb-06, 22:01
It was me, i confess , but i did have the guts to say it was me. It was a slip of the finger or should i say i wasnt looking properly. ( didnt have the glasses on ) .SORRY AGAIN 2 LITTLE2LATE .

I know, you did tell me. But never mind, I thank you for your honesty.

Dr. t.c
08-Feb-06, 22:22
So much for the suggestions about rep, I just had a snotty one about a post i put on, the person concerned already has neg rep and obviously has a chip on their shoulder if you ask me.

landmarker
08-Feb-06, 23:15
Just my own view but I think spelling and bad grammar do matter.
I tend to consider posts that are written in 'text speak' as lightweight because it is a sign of laziness or to be frank, ignorance. If people want to be treated seriously they need to put a bit of effort into it in my opinion.

jjc
08-Feb-06, 23:51
So much for the suggestions about rep, I just had a snotty one about a post i put on, the person concerned already has neg rep and obviously has a chip on their shoulder if you ask me.
What did they say and which post did they leave it for?

Also, how do you know they have a negative reputation?

Saveman
09-Feb-06, 00:12

I have a weird, sneaking suspicion (correct me if I'm wrong) that JJC and Landmarker agree on this subject.

It's a beautiful moment. :p

jjc
09-Feb-06, 00:21
I have a weird, sneaking suspicion (correct me if I'm wrong) that JJC and Landmarker agree on this subject.
I have a bad cold and have been high on lemsips all week. [para] [lol]

BRIE
09-Feb-06, 12:40
What did they say and which post did they leave it for?

Also, how do you know they have a negative reputation?
if youve got a negative reputation your green box goes to red i think not totally sure Niall would be the man to answer.

jjc
09-Feb-06, 13:00
if youve got a negative reputation your green box goes to red i think not totally sure Niall would be the man to answer.
Yeah, sorry - I meant specifically, how did he know the reputation of the person leaving him reputation.

Colin Manson
09-Feb-06, 13:21
It's sure it was quite clear from the comment that was made that the rep was negative.

DW
13-Feb-06, 01:21
Oh dear, the anonymous reputation posters have been at Betty again.

I like it so much when these scared wee people pick on a big girl. I bet it makes them feel sooooooooooo good, a bit like these sad impotent blokes who drive big flash cars.

And we all know why they do that don't we.:p

Moira
13-Feb-06, 01:42
I though this thread was going to be a "sticky" - but it seems to be dropping down now after only 4 days??

MadPict
13-Feb-06, 02:04
Obviously the glue isn't as strong as the desire to retain this function....

wickerinca
13-Feb-06, 03:54
Oh dear, the anonymous reputation posters have been at Betty again.

I like it so much when these scared wee people pick on a big girl. I bet it makes them feel sooooooooooo good, a bit like these sad impotent blokes who drive big flash cars.

And we all know why they do that don't we.:p

What did they get after you for this time:confused:

DW
13-Feb-06, 12:14
What did they get after you for this time:confused:
Ah dear friend, they didn't like the things I said about England v Italy or Wales v Scotland.
However, anonymous rep points are soon to be banned I believe; that will sort out these wooosies. :confused

Alice in Blunderland
13-Feb-06, 14:39
However, anonymous rep points are soon to be banned I believe; that will sort out these wooosies. :confused[/QUOTE]
Very good idea if you have a view on something then put your name to it .I got negative rep for helping rich62 to get a house up here a snotty comment with it and no name totally uncalled for but we are all different thankfully ,rich62 was more than happy with the help and thats all that counts.

wickerinca
13-Feb-06, 15:42
I do hope they will be banned. if you don't like a post then by all means bad rep it but at least have the decency to put your name to it.....and if you don't like the manner of a certain person's posts...then don't read them!!

badger
17-Feb-06, 11:21
Sorry to dredge this out of the archives but when are the new rules going to apply? I've just had an anonymous good rep with no comment and am dying to know why I got it and who posted it so can quite see the point of changing this. Actually posted one myself couple of days ago, the first I'd done, and too late realised I'd put a comment but no name so PMd the recipient to apologise. Seems odd the system doesn't automatically add the poster's name :confused:

crashbandicoot1979
17-Feb-06, 12:06
Sorry to dredge this out of the archives but when are the new rules going to apply? I've just had an anonymous good rep with no comment and am dying to know why I got it and who posted it so can quite see the point of changing this. Actually posted one myself couple of days ago, the first I'd done, and too late realised I'd put a comment but no name so PMd the recipient to apologise. Seems odd the system doesn't automatically add the poster's name :confused:

I've left a few reps but I never left my name as I always assumed that it would be left automatically. It wasn't until I started getting rep of my own that I realised that reps are anonymous.

badger
17-Feb-06, 13:53
That's exactly what I did !

Zambo
18-Feb-06, 01:08
I'm receiving anonymous reps with no comment - is that still allowed?

Obviously they weren't positive!

C'est la vie.

MadPict
18-Feb-06, 13:06
Zambo
Drop Niall a PM - they are not allowed - he will remove them.

badger
20-Feb-06, 15:56
Zambo
Drop Niall a PM - they are not allowed - he will remove them.

I didn't PM Niall but my anon good rep. has been removed anyway. So now I'll never know who it was and my points have gone down :cry: Sob. Suppose if it had been a bad one I'd have been grateful - swings and roundabouts.

2little2late
28-Feb-06, 15:35
I have received two positive reps and have blue squares for them. What do the blue squares mean?

Saveman
28-Feb-06, 15:37
I think it means that the person who has left the rep hasn't got a high enough reputation themselves to actual affect your rep, if that makes sense.

katarina
28-Feb-06, 16:35
It may have nothing to do with to do with the reputation system, but there seems to be a distict lack of sniping these days.

unicorn
09-Mar-06, 11:07
I had an anonymous neg rep left but now its gone?? Although points are still gone?? where did it go??

MadPict
09-Mar-06, 11:16
If it's gone then Niall has probably spotted it during one of his random checks and removed it.

unicorn
09-Mar-06, 11:20
Ok just wondered thanks for that madpict

scotsboy
09-Mar-06, 12:19
That was me - sorry I forgot to put my name. Now lets see if it will work again.

unicorn
09-Mar-06, 13:30
Scotsboy I knew it was you as I neg repped you yesterday and left my name, and I did find the post very offensive I notice it has now been removed, I wonder why, I am surprised if I am the only person who did not find it at all amusing.

scotsboy
09-Mar-06, 13:36
You have PM Unicorn.

nicnak
09-Mar-06, 20:06
Well someone left me sarcastic neg rep without leaving their name all I can say if you think you are big enough to write it , be big enough to put your name otherwise get a grip and get a life! because by what you wrote you obviously do not know me therefore shouldnt be putting personal comments!

knightofeth
22-Mar-06, 21:28
Just my own view but I think spelling and bad grammar do matter.
I tend to consider posts that are written in 'text speak' as lightweight because it is a sign of laziness or to be frank, ignorance. If people want to be treated seriously they need to put a bit of effort into it in my opinion.

Wow. I found a post where I agree with Landmarker! I never expected that to happen. But seriously why can't we expect people to put a bit of effort into writing actual sentences or doing a quick spellcheck? Surely anyone can do that? It is difficult to read certain members posts. I don't mind the odd spelling mistake or typo but a lot of people here just seem to completely ignore punctuation. Other forums I am in don't allow this and I would say it is one of the worst things about this one.

EDDIE
22-Mar-06, 21:32
Why cant we just have a poll on this subject to see how everyone feels

ice box
22-Mar-06, 21:37
Wow. I found a post where I agree with Landmarker! I never expected that to happen. But seriously why can't we expect people to put a bit of effort into writing actual sentences or doing a quick spellcheck? Surely anyone can do that? It is difficult to read certain members posts. I don't mind the odd spelling mistake or typo but a lot of people here just seem to completely ignore punctuation. Other forums I am in don't allow this and I would say it is one of the worst things about this one.
what if some people are dyslexic and that the easy way for them to write a sentence does that mean they cant get on the forum ?

knightofeth
22-Mar-06, 21:40
what if some people are dyslexic and that the easy way for them to write a sentence does that mean they cant get on the forum ?

That is a very good point. I just wish people who can would put in the effort. Not that many people are dyslexic.

ice box
22-Mar-06, 21:51
Actually you would be surprised how many people are dyslexic alot of people are and don't know there are .

angela5
22-Mar-06, 21:54
Why cant we just have a poll on this subject to see how everyone feels

Excellent idea Eddie..:o)

knightofeth
22-Mar-06, 21:58
Actually you would be surprised how many people are dyslexic alot of people have and don't know there are .

Then I guess they don't realise they have it as it doesn't affect them that much. Also by saying not that many people are dyslexic I meant compared to the number of people on this message board who post in this way. And also I know dyslexic people who know how to put a sentence together as well as an awful lot of people who aren't dyslexic who just can't be bothered to. So I feel that the dyslexic excuse doesn't count for a large percentage of the posts I am talking about.

angela5
22-Mar-06, 22:05
Then I guess they don't realise they have it as it doesn't affect them that much. Also by saying not that many people are dyslexic I meant compared to the number of people on this message board who post in this way. And also I know dyslexic people who know how to put a sentence together as well as an awful lot of people who aren't dyslexic who just can't be bothered to. So I feel that the dyslexic excuse doesn't count for a large percentage of the posts I am talking about.

I would be interested in you pointing out what posts you are talking about!

knightofeth
22-Mar-06, 22:18
I would be interested in you pointing out what posts you are talking about!

Well I don't want to pick on anybody so I wont be doing that. But really what is so hard about capitalising the start of sentences and putting full stops at the end? It is hard to read as you have to go over the post a few times to decide when a sentence ends and hence the meaning of the post. I have to admit I usually just completely ignore these ones. Consistently poor spelling is a big bug too as every computer has spell checking facilities.
Sorry I just feel that "poor grammar or spelling" and "the quality of a users post" are the same thing. Obviously the mods don't agree with me though.

ice box
22-Mar-06, 22:21
I get the feeling that people will be off put by your posts here .They will be getting worried if they don't put in there full stops and comas that they will get picked on . what does it matter when we are all just getting the crack and u usually know what they mean anyway . i think it is people like you that just want to nick pick and i haven't got time for that . and this is my opinion.

knightofeth
22-Mar-06, 22:24
I get the feeling that people will be off put by your posts here .They will be getting worried if they don't put in there full stops and comas that they will get picked on . what does it matter when we are all just getting the crack and u usually know what they mean anyway . i think it is people like you that just want to nick pick and i haven't got time for that . and this is my opinion.

I personally think that a forum is for proper discussion - go to the chat room to get the crack.

ice box
22-Mar-06, 22:29
I personally think that a forum is for proper discussion - go to the chat room to get the crack.
what i call the crack is a discussion .

angela5
22-Mar-06, 22:33
Is there a Trusted Member willing to start a poll on Knightofeth's problem with poor spelling and grammer??

If this is such a big issue.I feel a lot of members will be unwilling to post for fear of being belittled by poor spelling and grammer.

I personally don't care if someone misses full stops or commas as i'm not perfect myself. Also if some have spell check installed on their computers then it is easy for them to nit-pick. I won't be using my spell check just to keep someone happy[mad]

teuchter
22-Mar-06, 22:37
I would like to say although i dont suffer from dyslexia i am not greatly compitent in the old grammer department and my spelling might not be up to the greatest of standards and i would hate to be torn apart and criticised for this or even bad repped and i think if this was to happen it would put me off from posting in the future. By the way for those that know how to use them i have included at the end here all the punctuation you might need for this post to be added where you think its appropriate. ..,,.,,!!

ice box
22-Mar-06, 22:39
Well said Angela. Yes is there someone going to start a poll i think this would be very interesting to see .

angela5
22-Mar-06, 22:41
Obviously the mods don't agree with me though.

Obviously not. And just as well or there would be a lot of members in .org jail.[lol]

knightofeth
22-Mar-06, 22:42
I would like to say although i dont suffer from dyslexia i am not greatly compitent in the old grammer department and my spelling might not be up to the greatest of standards and i would hate to be torn apart and criticised for this or even bad repped and i think if this was to happen it would put me off from posting in the future. By the way for those that know how to use them i have included at the end here all the punctuation you might need for this post to be added where you think its appropriate. ..,,.,,!!

My point is not for everyone to have perfect grammar - but surely you could spend a little time deciding when to end a sentence and use a full stop? Also if you know that you aren't a good speller why not put it through a spell checker?

knightofeth
22-Mar-06, 22:43
Something else I don't understand is why people don't want to try and improve themselves. A little bit of effort would go a long way.

teuchter
22-Mar-06, 22:44
To tell the honest truth i wouldn't know how to use a spell checker, or where to find it.

angela5
22-Mar-06, 22:44

Well said Teuchter..who wants to log into caithness.org and reply to (proper discussions) and be torn to shreads for spelling mistakes.

What is classed as a Proper discussion on this forum? Anyone want to tell me.

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 22:46
Something else I don't understand is why people don't want to try and improve themselves. A little bit of effort would go a long way.
I think you have a good career as an English teacher you remind me of a few I had, in saying that though I loved English in school.

angela5
22-Mar-06, 22:46
To tell the honest truth i wouldn't know how to use a spell checker, or where to find it.

Don't feel bullied into using your spell checker teuchter..who say's we all need to be perfect?

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 22:47
What is classed as a Proper discussion on this forum? Anyone want to tell me.
They are the ones I read and just don't understand enough about them to make any type of truly interesting comment, (I think??)

ice box
22-Mar-06, 22:47
Spell checker doesn't do full stops and comas .I think people should just write the way they feel comfortable with i don't think they should change just to suit someone else .

knightofeth
22-Mar-06, 22:48
I think you have a good career as an English teacher you remind me of a few I had, in saying that though I loved English in school.

That's unlikely - I practically failed English in school!

teuchter
22-Mar-06, 22:49
Thanks angela5. I still have a bit of paper telling me how to start my computer ,so theres no danger of me being able to find and use this spell-checker thing your on about. :lol: l

angela5
22-Mar-06, 22:56
They are the ones I read and just don't understand enough about them to make any type of truly interesting comment, (I think??)

Unicorn you have excellent knowledge and understanding on rabbits..you should feel comfortable posting threads and comments on this topic..
Will this be to everyones taste on the forum? weather and cats have already been mentioned several times that people don't want to come in and read about them..then what is expected on this forum?
There is several topics i read and don't reply to i don't have an interesting comment to make..
Why is it only proper discussions want to be talked about..what is proper?
Are they the ones we don't reply too?
Any i have replied to then i wonder what they are called:confused:

knightofeth
22-Mar-06, 22:58
Umm, if this is meant to be some kind of reply to me saying a forum was for proper discussions I never said that any of the topics here weren't that. All I said was that "getting the crack" was more appropriate to a chat room.

angela5
22-Mar-06, 22:58
Thanks angela5. I still have a bit of paper telling me how to start my computer ,so theres no danger of me being able to find and use this spell-checker thing your on about. :lol: l

I have a piece of paper telling me how to get out of bed in the morning..[lol]

krieve
22-Mar-06, 23:00
Ok i will put my hands up i am bad for it and to be honest half the time it's because i can't be bothered. But i don't see really how it will make me better a person. Maybe i should have paid more attention in English or stayed behind for extra lessons. Right then so capitals go at the start of a sentence where do i put " this ?., ! ?????????????????????
are you going to give all of us that are bad at spelling and grammer a lesson???????:evil

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 23:00
It is sad but true but I love my bunnies and I think every bunny should have a happy life and not be left forgotten in a hutch and fed twice a week so If I can help anyone out I will, it may be in 6 months time someone needs it and does a search so if I post it, it is there for them when they need it, any post that helps someone out or just gives someone a smile or a bit of support or even a deep in depth thought provoking discussion is a post worth being on the forum I think!

angela5
22-Mar-06, 23:02
It is sad but true but I love my bunnies and I think every bunny should have a happy life and not be left forgotten in a hutch and fed twice a week so If I can help anyone out I will, it may be in 6 months time someone needs it and does a search so if I post it, it is there for them when they need it, any post that helps someone out or just gives someone a smile or a bit of support or even a deep in depth thought provoking discussion is a post worth being on the forum I think!

Well said unicorn..:grin:

knightofeth
22-Mar-06, 23:03

Yes I would agree with that.

knightofeth
22-Mar-06, 23:06
are you going to give all of us that are bad at spelling and grammer a lesson???????:evil

No I wasn't planning on giving you all a grammar and spelling lesson. For one thing I'm not great at grammar! But at least I try. You all managed to find this website so I'm sure you can all find an appropriate site that could help you out, if you wish.

angela5
22-Mar-06, 23:07
No I wasn't planning on giving you all a grammar and spelling lesson. For one thing I'm not great at grammar! But at least I try. You all managed to find this website so I'm sure you can all find an appropriate site that could help you out, if you wish.

A bit harsh that posting!!

Saveman
22-Mar-06, 23:14
Poll now set up as requested. :)

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 23:18
Saveman the orgers hero again !!! yayyy!!

angela5
22-Mar-06, 23:18
Poll now set up as requested. :)

Thanks saveman..:grin:

krieve
22-Mar-06, 23:22
Well sorry i won't be looking for a site to help me with my grammar, my spelling is not usually bad so i think i will live with it and if you don't want to just add us bad spelling and gramme users to your ignore list, it is entirely up to you.

knightofeth
22-Mar-06, 23:28
Well sorry i won't be looking for a site to help me with my grammar, my spelling is not usually bad so i think i will live with it and if you don't want to just add us bad spelling and gramme users to your ignore list, it is entirely up to you.
I wont be adding you to my ignore list. I was just giving you a cheeky reply to your cheeky question :P I don't see how that is harsh.

MadPict
22-Mar-06, 23:53
Icanusuallyputupwiththelackofcapitalisationaslonga seachsentenceisfinishedoffcorrectlysoatleastiknoww heretotakeabreather
butit'stheuseoftxtspkwhchgtsonmynrvsandjustthegene rallackofanyeffortincomposingapstwhichislegiblebut thenithinkedukashuntodayistoblame...

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 23:55
The only bit I found at all difficult to read was education I stumbled on that!

MadPict
22-Mar-06, 23:56
youdontknowhowharditwastotype!!!!!

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 23:59
It is just not a natural way for the brain and fingers to work at all!!! Well done.. :)

angela5
23-Mar-06, 00:03
Icanusuallyputupwiththelackofcapitalisationaslonga seachsentenceisfinishedoffcorrectlysoatleastiknoww heretotakeabreather
butit'stheuseoftxtspkwhchgtsonmynrvsandjustthegene rallackofanyeffortincomposingapstwhichislegiblebut thenithinkedukashuntodayistoblame...

Txt talk can be a little annoying but i would not complain..:o)

MadPict
23-Mar-06, 00:15
we llofcour setheo therproblem isthatsom epe oplejustp utallthesp ace sinthewron gplaceandthe nitreallymes sesupyoura bilitytodecy pherwhatitis the yaretrying tosa y

krieve
23-Mar-06, 00:17
g o o d o n e m a d p i c t l o l

unicorn
23-Mar-06, 00:18
Now that was way more difficult to read oooo dizzy brain.... :eek:

angela5
23-Mar-06, 00:21
we llofcour setheo therproblem isthatsom epe oplejustp utallthesp ace sinthewron gplaceandthe nitreallymes sesupyoura bilitytodecy pherwhatitis the yaretrying tosa y

i t ' s n o t t h a t b a d m a d p i c t c o m e o n .

ice box
23-Mar-06, 00:47
You remembered your full stops and commas i see lol

angela5
23-Mar-06, 00:53
You remembered your full stops and commas i see lol

Me[para] ....thought i would make an effort.[lol]

ice box
23-Mar-06, 01:21
Me[para] ....thought i would make an effort.[lol]
A least someone is going too lol