PDA

View Full Version : Half Ton Man

Tymey
07-Feb-06, 11:23
Did anyone see this prog on Channel 4 9pm last night? It was frightening I thought.

badger
07-Feb-06, 11:50
Yes and I found it quite horrifying, especially the man who had lost so much weight only to put it back on again. Also the warning that we will go the same way and I think we already are heading in that direction. You only have to look at the number of seriously overweight people you see in the street and, more worrying, the photos of children in the press - so many obviously overweight. Schools are supposed to have healthy eating policies yet in most organisations dealing with children, prizes take the form of sweets. Any sort of party is full of junk food, children's menus in restaurants are usually junk and I suspect most of their food at home is the same. It seems to be the sort of thing that creeps up on you and by the time you realise, it's become a major problem. No doubt with some people it 's a real addiction but I'm sure with most, if it's not a medical problem, it must be lack of self-respect, just not caring either about their health or their appearance - I don't know. Or maybe just too tired and overwhelmed to do anything. I do worry about the children particularly - do their parents not see, do they not care or can they just not cope?

fred
07-Feb-06, 13:01
Schools are supposed to have healthy eating policies yet in most organisations dealing with children, prizes take the form of sweets. Any sort of party is full of junk food, children's menus in restaurants are usually junk and I suspect most of their food at home is the same.
I don't think there is anything wrong with children getting sweets as a treat or junk food at parties or restaurants just so long as they get a propper meal every now and again as well.

What I see as a real problem is the cut throat competition between supermarkets. They have to sell you more and more to survive so they hire advertising agencies to brainwash people into buying more food, blackmail suppliers into giving "two for the price of one" offers and use every trick in the book to get more calories into your trolley and more money into their till.

erli
07-Feb-06, 13:43
I didn't see the program but I find it very worrying that there are so many children who are overweight.
I think I read recently that 10% of British children are obese. This can cause diabetes, heart disease and much shorter life spans. I think obesity will soon be the biggest cause of premature death.
Childhood obesity has tripled in the last 20 years. I don't remember anyone at my school being overweight, but we never sat inside playing on computers all day and we were only given sweeties as a treat.
Every second advert on tv is for some new food product and they are nearly always aimed at kids.
I am grateful that my kids love fruit and veg, but I agree with Fred that there is no harm in a sweetie as a treat as long as the kids are active and have a balanced diet.

badger
07-Feb-06, 13:54
If sweets were occasional treats I'd agree but they're not even treats any more, just part of the everyday diet like all the other junk. When I was a child we had rationing and were given one sweet on Sundays. People were healthier then. Now fattening foods are available all the time and I do agree about supermarkets and advertising. Must be so difficult for parents who do care to be saying No all the time. Lack of exercise is another problem and one of my sins but most children certainly don't get enough. Interesting that the woman on last night's programme appeared to have a slim, fit young son but he probably had all sorts of problems - including telling people his mother was dead as he was so ashamed.

Saveman
07-Feb-06, 14:18
Did anyone see this prog on Channel 4 9pm last night? It was frightening I thought.

Meant to watch it, but forgot all about it. Seen a trailor for it were they were rolling someone over, didn't look very pleasant.