PDA

View Full Version : Now Then

madmax
25-Jan-09, 00:30
Hi,
I'm just sitting doing my online shop at tescos ( another exciting saturday night eh !! ) and I was just about to order eggs and Honey, Now I'm sure there's somebody out there that produces their own honey which will taste better than the Tesco stuff and also someone who has their own hens fed on mash or organically fed which again produce better tasting eggs than the mass produced ones. We used to have our own hens when we lived in the country and ya canna beat a proper fresh egg.
So rather than putting my money in Mr Tescos pocket gimme a shout if you can help me out. Now I live in Thurso so please dont say Mr so and so in Durness has ones as thats just too far to drive :)
I'm not looking for buying in bulk, a dozen eggs will last me over a week.
If anybody else produces their own foods, whether its meat, eggs, cheese etc let me know and I may change that too. My granny used to make farm butter, does anybody still do that?
I know that Tesco is usually the best on price but really you do get what you pay for.
I am trying not to buy packet foods as the ingredients list and calories scare me ! Not as much as my scales did though :lol:.
So....... Jamie Oliver Cook book later.........

dragonfly
25-Jan-09, 00:33
Bews butchers sell locally produced eggs and veg and daresay other stuff too. Also try JA Mackays, sure they sell local stuff, like jams etc

Scunner
25-Jan-09, 00:40
Try the fish shop at the harbour for local honey - but it is in short supply now, but he may be able to get some for you

Gizmo
25-Jan-09, 00:43
Never buy supermarket eggs unless it's a last resort, they are at least 6 weeks old by the time they hit the shelf...yuk yuk yuk, I buy Caithness Free Range Eggs, either from the stall in the Market Sq, Wick, on Saturday afternoon or from the shop in Glamis Road.

Kevin Milkins
25-Jan-09, 00:44
I admire anyone that will go slightly out of there way to buy produce from a local supplier and I am sure there are many places were you can buy a swede or fresh eggs and the such like.

Honey I would think, is not somthing that is from a mass producer that treats his bees badly.

I am sure though that someone better informed than me will contribute sooner or later though.

Happy eating.:Razz

sweetpea
25-Jan-09, 00:46
Never buy supermarket eggs unless it's a last resort, they are at least 6 weeks old by the time they hit the shelf...yuk yuk yuk, I buy Caithness Free Range Eggs, either from the stall in the Market Sq, Wick, on Saturday afternoon or from the shop in Glamis Road.

Ditto....

No Tesco, Somerfield or Co-op for me,
Where I can I buy from the sea, or the land, or the heavens.

jings00
25-Jan-09, 00:51
mcolls in high ormlie stock eggs fae happy local hens....and they are right nice.

Gizmo
25-Jan-09, 00:58
I admire anyone that will go slightly out of there way to buy produce from a local supplier and I am sure there are many places were you can buy a swede or fresh eggs and the such like.

Honey I would think, is not somthing that is from a mass producer that treats his bees badly.

I am sure though that someone better informed than me will contribute sooner or later though.

Earlier tonight i bought a local neep from the shop in Glamis Road, Wick, it was 65p and about 4 times the size of a supermarket neep

madmax
25-Jan-09, 01:07
I'm thinking a trip to Wick next saturday required. Its a pity they dont do a farmers market in Thurso, would be far better than the Continental market we get now and again :(

Kenn
25-Jan-09, 01:12
The general store at Reay usually has local honey and think there is a place in Halkirk too, seen quite a few egg producers with signs up at the gate in our travels around the county.

Kevin Milkins
25-Jan-09, 01:13
Earlier tonight i bought a local neep from the shop in Glamis Road, Wick, it was 65p and about 4 times the size of a supermarket neep

I went over to Allens of Gillock today and close to Gillock there is a field of swede that look just about right. The right size and the frost has helped them along nicely, but no one about to make sale.:~(

Mrs M makes a lot of soup and use swede as it is a good base for it.When I used to grow swede on a commercial basis I used to supply a jam maker as it is a base for jam.

When I see them in tesco at nearly a quid each it makes my heart sink to think that I used to grow, cut ,wash, and deliver them to Birmingham wholesale market at £1-20 for a 28 pound net.:confused

madmax
25-Jan-09, 01:17
I was born and brought up on a farm so know the size a real neep should be, those ones in the supermarkets are a joke. Its no wonder folk make their haloween lanterns out o Pumpkins these days instead o neeps! Or was that just a Orkney thing? Neepy Lanterns. :)

Gizmo
25-Jan-09, 01:44
I was born and brought up on a farm so know the size a real neep should be, those ones in the supermarkets are a joke. Its no wonder folk make their haloween lanterns out o Pumpkins these days instead o neeps! Or was that just a Orkney thing? Neepy Lanterns. :)

Not at all, i grew up in the 70/80's in Staxigoe (just outside Wick) and we used to use huge neeps from the surrounding farms at halloween, i don't think i ever saw a real pumpkin in a Wick supermarket until i was about 20-ish

madmax
25-Jan-09, 01:50
My list is growing, I now want local neeps, honey and Eggs. I need to get to know more farmers !
I realise the butchers sell these things but I dont always manage into town when they're open, I try to buy butcher meat when i can but would like to buy fresh stuff direct if I can. At least that way the producers are getting a better price.

madmax
25-Jan-09, 01:54
Just thinking, If anybody wanted to do a farmers market in Thurso I have a car park at my work I would quite happily let folk use. I dont know what sort of licence etc the council might make you have but the carpark is there if you wanted it. Either Saturday afternoon or anytime Sunday.

nightowl
25-Jan-09, 01:56
Beautiful Caithness wildflower honey from Robin Inglis of Freswick. Found most Saturdays at the Market Square in Wick.
01955 611260

dirdyweeker
25-Jan-09, 02:53
Beautiful Caithness wildflower honey from Robin Inglis of Freswick. Found most Saturdays at the Market Square in Wick.
01955 611260

so that is your honey, along with jams and eggs on a Saturday in the High Street, Wick. A wee bit further along and Harrolds will supply the local veg. Pity you live in Thurso, unless of course you make a wee trip once a week and pick up the rest of your shopping from Tesco on the way back.

madmax
25-Jan-09, 03:12
Think it'll be Wick Saturday afternoon then, didnt bother completing my Tesco online shop so watch for me next week in Wick. I'll just do wee shops till then. :)

Scunner
25-Jan-09, 12:27

As a beekeeper, I wonder how mass producers can treat bees badly. They treat me badly when I plunder their homes for honey and try and be nice to them and feed them over the winter and spring.

Kevin Milkins
25-Jan-09, 13:33
As a beekeeper, I wonder how mass producers can treat bees badly. They treat me badly when I plunder their homes for honey and try and be nice to them and feed them over the winter and spring.

You are a braver man than me Scunner. I am scared to death of wasps and bees.:eek:

If one comes in the car when I am driving it sends me into panic mode.:confused

floyed
25-Jan-09, 13:40
Not at all, i grew up in the 70/80's in Staxigoe (just outside Wick) and we used to use huge neeps from the surrounding farms at halloween, i don't think i ever saw a real pumpkin in a Wick supermarket until i was about 20-ish

A fellow stacker:eek:, I used to get them from the farm too:D Much better than a pumpkin!

Dadie
25-Jan-09, 16:31
Just a quick note slightly off topic about honey.
Honey local to the area taken regulary can help to lessen the effects of your hayfever as the bees will have used the pollen from the plants in the area.
I dont know how this works but im sure someone will be more than happy to tell me:lol:

jac1791
27-Jan-09, 14:27
Ali -- if in wick - go to George Sinclair butchers in Macarther Street-- they sell caithness honey

madmax
27-Jan-09, 18:09
I'm always on the lookout for a Caithness Honey :)

Think I have the Honey covered, one of the guys who replied is going to be delivering some to me sometime soon :)

I'm planning a look through to the Market on Saturday if I finish work early enough.

LMS
27-Jan-09, 19:07
Just a quick note slightly off topic about honey.
Honey local to the area taken regulary can help to lessen the effects of your hayfever as the bees will have used the pollen from the plants in the area.
I dont know how this works but im sure someone will be more than happy to tell me:lol:

I used to spend several weeks every summer with my auntie who had her own bees. We would eat honey with everything and I would still sneeze non-stop. I am not convinced on this one but maybe it was just me being awkward?!

madmax
27-Jan-09, 19:22
I'm on a Honey on Toast phase just now :)
Although Honey and Wholegrain mustard mixed makes a really nice dressing for Pasta :)

madmax
28-Jan-09, 20:36
Got my local Honey today delivered to my door by a very nice lady :)
Thank you very much Scunner, sorry I wasnt there when you came though.

Cheers again

Buttercup
28-Jan-09, 21:10
A trip to McColls in Ormlie will save a 40 mile round trip to Wick ~ it's the same Free Range eggs that are on sale (Armitage's Caithness Eggs). :D

Scunner
28-Jan-09, 22:10
Got my local Honey today delivered to my door by a very nice lady :)
Thank you very much Scunner, sorry I wasnt there when you came though.

Cheers again

Hope you enjoy the honey. All beekeepers are not male!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dorrie
28-Jan-09, 22:22
Try Bews Butchers in Thurso, he certainly has local turnips, as well as various other local produce. :) If my hens were laying better I would offer you some eggs, but I only have 6 and only two are laying just now, sometimes, when they feel like it! lol

poppett
28-Jan-09, 22:27
Mackay butchers and Bews in Thurso stock local eggs, veg, jams and honey as well as brilliant value local meats.

Co-op in Thurso last weekend had John O`Groats tatties, neeps broccoli and cabbage for sale.

Frasers in Castlegreen Road stock J O`G tatties and neeps, as well as Armitages eggs, backstairs fish and cockburn of dingwall haggis and pies.

madmax
28-Jan-09, 22:57
Cheers guys and Gals,
I'll be doing the rounds this weekend, gonna have a look to the market in Wick first, buying direct appeals to me as the producers can get a bit more for their goods than the merchants sometimes give them.
What I cant get there I'll have a look around the shops.
I just wish I lived in the country again and I'd get my own hens and possibly do a bit of veg growing ( must be getting older now !!) . I really should stop watching the re runs of The Good Life on GOLD !!

A9RUNNER
28-Jan-09, 23:30
Another vote for Bews the butchers in Thurso. A good selection of Caithness produce available. That where I buy all our meat eggs honey. And it does taste a lot better than supermarket products. I cannot tell how the prices compare as I never buy meat from tescos.

madmax
28-Jan-09, 23:43
I always say you get what you pay for. Butchers meat is always better. I tend to do the basic cooking, mince, stew, roasts, Meatloaf, odd steak, single guy stuff ya know :)
I do buy the odd packet o supermarket mince if I'm making a meatloaf, but if its mince and tatties it has to be butchers mince, normally from Bews.
I have a mate who used to be a game keeper and he used to give me the odd bit of Venison, lovely but Deer [lol]
We definately need a farmers market in town now and again, keep the continental market out and keep the money locally.
Times are hard enough just now with the recession, everything seems to be going down in price except the supermarkets :(

unicorn
28-Jan-09, 23:51
My mum just had beef delivered from someone at quoybrae that advertised in last weeks paper, looks lovely.
I had pork from piginabox and it was lovely....:D