PDA

View Full Version : Whs

flowertot
24-Jan-09, 22:03
Nobody got any opinions on the proposed £1 million upgrade of WHS? Good or waste of money? Trying to appease the weekers? That'll no be easy eh!

brokencross
24-Jan-09, 22:16
As a governor of a primrary school in England where we have had lots of work done, I say you will not get a lot for £1 million. (but every little helps and it is a start)

wee sparkle
25-Jan-09, 02:36
I think it will take a good bit more than £1m to fix the school. Its a fair start, but its not going to go very far, no matter how wisely it is spent. :confused

hotrod4
25-Jan-09, 09:27
Nobody got any opinions on the proposed £1 million upgrade of WHS? Good or waste of money? Trying to appease the weekers? That'll no be easy eh!
Us weekers are very easy to please.£1m will do as a start but its a new school thats required,pointless throwing money at something in the short term.To use a horrible qoute:"We have to look at the bigger picture".
Any help in fixing WHS is welcome but I think throwing £1m at it is just to stop people wanting a new school,a sweetener I think.

Alice in Blunderland
25-Jan-09, 10:03
As a governor of a primrary school in England where we have had lots of work done, I say you will not get a lot for £1 million. (but every little helps and it is a start)

I agree £1million will not go far at all in fact its just a drop in the ocean as to what is needed to be spent on Wick High.

In fact there are many schools wthin Highland region that need attention and money thrown at them. :(

Its a sad fact that whenever we read the papers or listen to the news the main headlines are cuts, cuts, cuts, or ......efficiency savings, streamlining or whatever other fancy title they can use to say less money.

From all areas there seems to be less money to go round. Funding is barely enough but hey this is progress............:confused if you listen to some Politicians we are better off now than we have ever been.......more money is being spent on Health, Education, Roads, etc, etc, than ever before..........

You can see less and less where this money is going is it because the whole sector is top heavy with pen pushers and the money just doesnt seem to be filtering down to the people actually, truly, are working their socks off in the front line so to speak :confused

Twilight
25-Jan-09, 18:10
well if ur gona go on about the state of the school y does it matter hw much money they do or don't spend on it if u think of it its us pupils nd the teachers that make the school a school not the "prettyness" of the building

JAWS
25-Jan-09, 18:34
Spot on Alice in B. Another problem is that when many Politicians speak of "Tough decisions having to be made" what they really mean is how can they shore the system up to stop it collapsing until the problems becomes somebody else's at a future date?

Spending a million pounds every so occasionally to stop a building falling down for a few years looks far better on a current budget than spending, say 50 millions, on replacing the building completely, however necessary that may be.
In five or ten years time finding that 50 millions, which will probably be 80 by then, will be somebody else's problem and they will take the flack over the cost.

“Never mind the future, how can we make ourselves look good today” is an attitude which seems to have developed right across the spectrum.

Venture
25-Jan-09, 18:52
Spot on Alice in B. Another problem is that when many Politicians speak of "Tough decisions having to be made" what they really mean is how can they shore the system up to stop it collapsing until the problems becomes somebody else's at a future date?

Spending a million pounds every so occasionally to stop a building falling down for a few years looks far better on a current budget than spending, say 50 millions, on replacing the building completely, however necessary that may be.
In five or ten years time finding that 50 millions, which will probably be 80 by then, will be somebody else's problem and they will take the flack over the cost.

“Never mind the future, how can we make ourselves look good today” is an attitude which seems to have developed right across the spectrum.

You're spot on there too Jaws. ;)

M.Funkenstein
25-Jan-09, 19:02
They're building a whole new town, near Tain was it? Which I'm sure will be complete with a (correct me if i'm wrong) brand new school and all the usual jazz.

and yet they can only spare a million for WHS? Hm..........

dirdyweeker
25-Jan-09, 19:47
They're building a whole new town, near Tain was it? Which I'm sure will be complete with a (correct me if i'm wrong) brand new school and all the usual jazz.

and yet they can only spare a million for WHS? Hm..........

Is it Tornagrain you are thinking of? New town with 5.000 houses and 5 new schools.
Reckon we might end up commuting from Wick to be educated!

dirdyweeker
25-Jan-09, 19:48
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7831433.stm

meant to include this link.

M.Funkenstein
25-Jan-09, 20:46
Is it Tornagrain you are thinking of? New town with 5.000 houses and 5 new schools.
Reckon we might end up commuting from Wick to be educated!

Yeah that's the one! Good grief FIVE, for roughly 5000 folk? About....1/3 maybe would be kids?
haha wouldn't be surprised! :lol: It's gonna fall down eventually!

Alice in Blunderland
25-Jan-09, 21:01
Yeah that's the one! Good grief FIVE, for roughly 5000 folk? About....1/3 maybe would be kids?
haha wouldn't be surprised! :lol: It's gonna fall down eventually!

Nah it wont be left to go to ruin ..................... its close to Inverness for one reason and its not in Caithness for another. ;)

JAWS
27-Jan-09, 00:59
I thought that was why the Highland Council was created, so Inverness could milk the rest of the area for it's own benefit.
It's the usual story, the largest urban area votes to give itself all the benefits to the detriment of everywhere else.

hotrod4
27-Jan-09, 07:33
I thought that was why the Highland Council was created, so Inverness could milk the rest of the area for it's own benefit.
It's the usual story, the largest urban area votes to give itself all the benefits to the detriment of everywhere else.
To show how Ignorant those in Power in Inverness are, they sent me a letter marked with "street" at the end. I live in "Square" and "street" doesnt exist and never has done!!!!. If they dont even know our street names how are they supposed to govern us!!!. Even the foreign call centres get it right, maybe they should actually check where we are then they might learn something!![lol]

brokencross
27-Jan-09, 08:22
well if ur gona go on about the state of the school y does it matter hw much money they do or don't spend on it if u think of it its us pupils nd the teachers that make the school a school not the "prettyness" of the building

That is true, the staff and pupils ARE the school. BUT and a very BIG BUT, good, clean, well laid out and safe buildings, facilities and classrooms with modern teaching aids and resources make the job so much easier for the staff and a more enjoyable and fulfilling experience for the pupils.