PDA

View Full Version : when did his name get changed

router
24-Jan-09, 21:56
i'm originally from the Irvine Valley in Ayrshire,i spent most of my life there.
now for as long as i can remember at this time of year we get hammered with Rabbie Burns.don't get me wrong i am not anti Burns,although brought up with it ,well it's wears a bit thin on me now.
i'm proud of being a Scot ,but the one thing that is irking me just now is since when did his name get changed to Robbie! i have heard the kids calling him this and seen it on flyers and pictures advertising the time of year and events
since a kid his name was Rabbie ,my teachers ,parents every one i have known in scotland calls hime Rabbie.
It's always been Rabbie.
so.wha the hurdies changed his name

Kodiak
24-Jan-09, 22:24
Does is really matter, Rabbie, Robbie or even Robert he will always be the same person and Poet.

As Shakespear said "A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

DeHaviLand
24-Jan-09, 22:24
i'm originally from the Irvine Valley in Ayrshire,i spent most of my life there.
now for as long as i can remember at this time of year we get hammered with Rabbie Burns.don't get me wrong i am not anti Burns,although brought up with it ,well it's wears a bit thin on me now.
i'm proud of being a Scot ,but the one thing that is irking me just now is since when did his name get changed to Robbie! i have heard the kids calling him this and seen it on flyers and pictures advertising the time of year and events
since a kid his name was Rabbie ,my teachers ,parents every one i have known in scotland calls hime Rabbie.
It's always been Rabbie.

Oh dear, maybe you need to read some of his works. In them, he refers
to himself as Robbie, and even Rob.

sandyr
24-Jan-09, 22:32
In Canada some call HIM.....Bobbie Burns.
Can you imagine.....Nearly made me Boak!!! Now that's a word from the past.........

sweetpea
24-Jan-09, 22:35
My favourite of his is The Gowden Locks of Anna, very sexy piece of work, perfect for Valentines...x

canuck
24-Jan-09, 22:37
In Canada some call HIM.....Bobbie Burns.
Can you imagine.....Nearly made me Boak!!! Now that's a word from the past.........

sandyr, I think that is only on the east side of Toronto. Yonge Street and points west use 'Robbie'.

router, it may be an international influence that has brought about a change in the name.

teenybash
Robert, Rob, Robbie or Rabbie Burns makes no difference as he was known by all of these names and takes not one jot away from the colouful and talented character he was..... However his Birth Name was Robert Burness.;)

Kevin Milkins
It's always been Rabbie.

Don't know any Rabbie Burns,only Robbie.:confused

I know a Rab that keeps the One Stop Shop though, but not too sure if he is a poet.;)

Julia
24-Jan-09, 23:21
I've heard of rabbit burns but that's only when Thumper slides across carpet

hotrod4
25-Jan-09, 09:33
As a fellow Ayrshire man I too think he should always be reffered to as Rabbie.At the end of the day though call him what you want as long as you appreciate his work then its OK.
By the way Router Irvine is Ok but ye canna beat Dalry!!!!![lol]

kriklah
25-Jan-09, 10:29
i lived in Dailly, Ayr and Irvine, only ever heard him called Rabbie or Robert.

and me dad in law can quot the Tam O Shanter one end to the other!!

Thumper
25-Jan-09, 12:04
I've heard of rabbit burns but that's only when Thumper slides across carpet
:eek: you have seen me do that?:lol:x

hotrod4
25-Jan-09, 12:39
Robert Burns fashioned his poem Tam o Shanter on a local tale from Dalry.
Only found that out just now!!!:lol:

jings00
25-Jan-09, 12:52
Rabbie or Robert...my folks were from Ayr / Dalmellington and that is what they would call him
Still have dad's Burns poetry book he won in the school when he wis wee

hotrod4
25-Jan-09, 13:56
Rabbie or Robert...my folks were from Ayr / Dalmellington and that is what they would call him
Still have dad's Burns poetry book he won in the school when he wis wee
There seems to be a few of us on here with an Ayrshire Connection!!!! Maybe we should start an Ayrshire Appreciation Society!!![lol]

JAWS
25-Jan-09, 17:20
I'm with you on this one router, I've always known him as Rabbie Burns. Robbie Burns sounds more like an Anglicised version than a Scots one.

sandyr
25-Jan-09, 17:39
You are likely correct Canuck...Am from the Oshawa/GM area and you know how they are.....
Was at a Burns Supper some years ago at The Whitby Yacht Club and it was a wee bitty better than the usual Legion one, when the Cook came out with his apron on ...Very much an Italian, with a Banjo, and played ..My love is like a Red Red Rose in double time.... Well he had so many encores he was wiping his brow....He knew all that was requested.....
You don't have to be Scottish to 'luv him and his work'.

percy toboggan
25-Jan-09, 18:26
I've never bought into the whole Burns' thing.
Should I?

sandyr
25-Jan-09, 19:41
I think much of what he said was/is true, and in our everyday language. Everyone needs a Hero and of course his lifestyle was somewhat 'risque', which I think is another attraction/ and even altho his verse/songs were written so long ago, they are still popular as is his sayings!
Altho he is a Scot, I don't think it matters, as his 'stuff is good'.

golach
25-Jan-09, 21:22
I've never bought into the whole Burns' thing.
Should I?
I think you should Percy, Rabbie/ Robbie/Robert Burns, was not just a Scots poet, he was a rebel, a pilanthropist, a lover of the lassies, and for me, he was an Exciseman, as I was, but of a much higher rank [lol]

Buttercup
25-Jan-09, 22:18
Just a thought ~ could it be anything to do with the fact that Rabbie or Rab tends to be a common name down in the south of Scotland (the "Scots" dialect area in particular) whereas up here it tends to be Robbie that's used as the shortened form of Robert? :)

A9RUNNER
25-Jan-09, 22:25
Always been Robbie or Robert Burns to me. Maybe its as mentioned just a regional accent thing.

router
25-Jan-09, 22:42
router, it may be an international influence that has brought about a change in the name.[/quote]

Just a thought ~ could it be anything to do with the fact that Rabbie or Rab tends to be a common name down in the south of Scotland (the "Scots" dialect area in particular) whereas up here it tends to be Robbie that's used as the shortened form of Robert? :)

Always been Robbie or Robert Burns to me. Maybe its as mentioned just a regional accent thing.

your probably all right on this one,it just seemed to me odd,being from ayrshire hearing him called this.
as de havilland pointed out it is in some of his works ,but then as i got hammered with it at school both round about this time and being dragged umpteen times to his house ,birth place, favourite haunts etc on school trips and by my parents, aunts and uncles i got pretty well fed up with it,i can't honestly say for sure if he called himself this or not

router
25-Jan-09, 22:51
As a fellow Ayrshire man I too think he should always be reffered to as Rabbie.At the end of the day though call him what you want as long as you appreciate his work then its OK.
By the way Router Irvine is Ok but ye canna beat Dalry!!!!![lol]

are you kiddin,i'm not from Irvine ,only connection there is i was born in ayrshire central.i'm a valley boy,not far from Loudoun Castle.
and i agree dalry is ok done a bit work there it's a nice little town.

hotrod4
26-Jan-09, 07:41
are you kiddin,i'm not from Irvine ,only connection there is i was born in ayrshire central.i'm a valley boy,not far from Loudoun Castle.
and i agree dalry is ok done a bit work there it's a nice little town.
Loudon castle is the mutts nuts!. took the family there rather than to Burns House so should hang my head in shame!![lol]
I was born in Kilwinning Maternity home so not too far away then!

router
26-Jan-09, 14:40
Loudon castle is the mutts nuts!. took the family there rather than to Burns House so should hang my head in shame!![lol]
I was born in Kilwinning Maternity home so not too far away then!

worked up at the castle when they turned into a theme park,in the renovation of the coach house and decorating of the restaurant and museum,also the wall at the rose garden and the play barn.
seein now how much it has changed and what they turned it into,from a part of scottish history into a garish fair ground,i should be ashamed:confused

balto
26-Jan-09, 16:09
my youngest daughter made me laugh on saturday, what with the school having their burns lunch on thursday, they have been practicing all the famous burns poems and you should have heard her pronouncing some of the words, highly hilarious,

JAWS
27-Jan-09, 01:28
Always been Robbie or Robert Burns to me. Maybe its as mentioned just a regional accent thing.I suspect you are right on that. When you think about it, to lower the tone a little, Rob C Nesbitt just wouldn't sound right given the accent now would it?

golach
27-Jan-09, 16:22
Well done the youth of Ayrshire, imagine the mentality of this bunch of idjits

http://www.ayradvertiser.com/articles/1/33298

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2009/01/27/gang-vandalise-robert-burns-cottage-on-250th-anniversary-of-his-birth-86908-21074310/

Lavenderblue2
27-Jan-09, 16:49
Despicable! This wasn't the usual 'mindless' vandalism - this was clearly claculated given the timing.

Maybe a little 18th Century punishment wouldn't go amis...

Thank you for flagging this up Golach.

A9RUNNER
28-Jan-09, 00:11
And not a mention of Buckfast in the article.

A blooming disgrace, one has to wonder at the mentallity of the scrotes involved in such vandalism. It is far to much of a coincidence to be a random act of vandalism. Unfotuantley they will probably get away with next to nothing in punishment for what they did.

A9RUNNER
28-Jan-09, 00:14
I suspect you are right on that. When you think about it, to lower the tone a little, Rob C Nesbitt just wouldn't sound right given the accent now would it?

Robert C Nesbit said with a Kelvinside accent :lol: