PDA

View Full Version : Are you immoral?

crayola
24-Jan-09, 19:50
I was asked if I was immoral yesterday. I didn't know how to answer so I jokingly said yes.

Are you immoral?

I forgot to add this bit. What did you take 'immoral' to mean and why did you vote the way you did?

ShelleyCowie
24-Jan-09, 20:12
I may sound thick here...but what does immoral actually mean?? I know the definition...but dont understand fully!

(I look into things too much)

So want to know before i vote! ;)

gleeber
24-Jan-09, 20:24
Morals concern the good and bad things inherant in human behaviour. Most societies have certain standards of behaviour which most of us would profess to follow. I dont always follow them so i have immoral moments. It's best to get them out of your system when your younger because they get fewer and further between as you get older. Mores the pity.

Welcomefamily
24-Jan-09, 20:29
Not keeping to Morals from the Latin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin) moralitas "manners, character, proper behavior, but generally within our society the morals have been derived from the ten commandments and mixed with Victorian attitudes of proper behaviour.
To be immorally incline means behaviour that will do some one harm, it does not have to be physical harm but emotional or physiological harm. Stealing, having an affair would all be some examples of what could be considered immoral.

Its not a good label to attach to your self, as various people will read various things into it and its a great problem in small communities where labels will often stick.

brokencross
24-Jan-09, 20:30
Is anything only immoral when you get caught?

Gizmo
24-Jan-09, 20:32
My morals are causing me a great deal of discomfort at the moment, bottom row on the right hand side, near the back ;)

Bobinovich
24-Jan-09, 20:35
Here you go Shelley - a dictionary definition (http://www.yourdictionary.com/immoral).

In answer to the question, I'm generally on the moral side but I have been known to dip ma beeg toe into the other side. I'm no Ned Flanders but then again I'm no Snake either :lol:

Billy Boy
24-Jan-09, 20:47
Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening :D

gleeber
24-Jan-09, 20:50
Its not a good label to attach to your self, as various people will read various things into it and its a great problem in small communities where labels will often stick.

From my experience of living in small communities or even the wider world it's the ones who claim morality (or at least no immorality) are the ones to watch.
I had coffee today with an old friend and her friend. Someone who claimed to be purely moral may have said some of ouir conversation was immoral. It was private and between consenting adults (coffee I said). Who gets hurt?

changilass
24-Jan-09, 20:50
Very true Billy Boy, and I like all three :lol:

MrsK
24-Jan-09, 20:57
You can only class yourself as 'Immoral' if you agree to follow a certain groups' laws and customs. Immorality means different things to different groups. Stating that you are 'Immoral' implies that you bow before peer pressure regarding what is wrong and what is right.

So 'Immorality' is a ridiculous concept and is nothing more than a social or religious weapon to get those who do not conform to toe the line. Sod that.

katarina
24-Jan-09, 21:30
am I immoral? Chance would be a fine thing!

golach
24-Jan-09, 21:33
I wish I was immortal [lol]

Welcomefamily
24-Jan-09, 21:36
From my experience of living in small communities or even the wider world it's the ones who claim morality (or at least no immorality) are the ones to watch.
I had coffee today with an old friend and her friend. Someone who claimed to be purely moral may have said some of ouir conversation was immoral. It was private and between consenting adults (coffee I said). Who gets hurt?

I totally agree, those who claim no immorality have further to fall if we assume we fall off of them.
However for your friend to say some of your conversation was immoral and if she was moralistic, it must have caused her some discomfort? otherwise why say?
Your friend cant be moralistic and be accepting of immoral conversation other wise she cant be moralistic.

Morals are often in the eye of the beholder which is why moralistic behaviour can have many opposing views, take for instant a scientist using mice to develop a cure for Cancer, is his behaviour moralistic?

Welcomefamily
24-Jan-09, 21:48
You can only class yourself as 'Immoral' if you agree to follow a certain groups' laws and customs. Immorality means different things to different groups. Stating that you are 'Immoral' implies that you bow before peer pressure regarding what is wrong and what is right.

So 'Immorality' is a ridiculous concept and is nothing more than a social or religious weapon to get those who do not conform to toe the line. Sod that.

It seems an odd post for some who thinks its wierd that people complain about paying road tax which implies you feel its normal to pay it?
Do you pay road tax? have you bow to public pressure? what about council tax? or a TV licence.

gleeber
24-Jan-09, 22:15
However for your friend to say some of your conversation was immoral and if she was moralistic, it must have caused her some discomfort? otherwise why say?
Your friend cant be moralistic and be accepting of immoral conversation other wise she cant be moralistic.

No ones claiming to be moral apart from over half the orgers who have voted so far. The point is most of us know the standards society would expect of us and in daylight many of us meet those standards. However, under darkness it's a different kettle of fish. I believe we would all fall short of perfectly moral behaviour if the truth be told. That means half the orgers who voted are liars or at least not aware of the difference between right and wrong. How morals that?

Angel
24-Jan-09, 22:24
I believe that, what each of us as a person does in a given situation is the moral thing to do at the time. Other may judge that action to be immoral based on their interpretation of the situation. You may also, in retrospect see it as immoral and under, what appears to be the same situation, act differently. An immoral action is ephemeric.
To plan, knowingly an immoral action, is immoral in itself and that would make you immoral.
To continue knowingly immoral action would make you an immoral person.

Well that's what I think anyway...

Angel

MrsK
24-Jan-09, 22:36
It seems an odd post for some who thinks its wierd that people complain about paying road tax which implies you feel its normal to pay it?
Do you pay road tax? have you bow to public pressure? what about council tax? or a TV licence.

There's no conflict there whatsoever.

We all pay for what we use in society, so pay your dues. If you don't like paying your dues - opt out of the system you don't like.

Not paying your dues is not immoral - it is illegal.

'Morals' are ideals not laws. (and yes, I know I said 'laws' in my original post - scrub that bit).
British law states that you will be commiting an offence if you do not comply with the law. You can be a perfectly law-abiding citizen in the UK and still be labelled 'Immoral' - if you listen to those who see themselves as 'the moral guardians of society' - whatever that load of tripe means.

'Immoral' - That's the sort of line people use to justify hatred, seclusion and the crushing of anyone who does not fit in with a given set of 'Ideals' not law.

So as I said, there is no conflict.

ShelleyCowie
24-Jan-09, 22:45
Hmmm ok i would say i am not Immoral then...im not anything apart from a very weird tom-boy/geek! Lol!

Do u all have a mental picture of what i look like? Lol!! No im not a typical "geek" stereotype! ;) Im just.....me! :Razz

Amy-Winehouse
24-Jan-09, 23:21

You might see your team win the Scottish cup if you were.:Razz

teenybash
24-Jan-09, 23:40
I try not to be...........but society itself could do with some sense of morals...........but, who am I to judge.:confused

golach
25-Jan-09, 00:48
You might see your team win the Scottish cup if you were.:Razz
Who cares Amy, its only a game o football, nothing earth shattering

Oddquine
25-Jan-09, 01:41
I voted "Don't Know".....because I try to treat others as I'd like to be treated myself...........but whether that equates to morals or wishful thinking, I dunno.

Metalattakk
25-Jan-09, 03:07
I didn't vote, as an acceptable option wasn't available.

I am neither moral nor immoral. I am firmly amoral.

I'm glad you're not. [lol]

JAWS
25-Jan-09, 03:19
I used to be moral but I got so bored I decided to give it up.

hotrod4
25-Jan-09, 09:30
I suppose if you dont agree with someone then they could define you as immoral. If you waiver form the "norm" then you can be classed as Immoral.
In my experience if it feels good do it! you have all of eternity to worry about it!![lol]

Welcomefamily
25-Jan-09, 10:30
No ones claiming to be moral apart from over half the orgers who have voted so far. The point is most of us know the standards society would expect of us and in daylight many of us meet those standards. However, under darkness it's a different kettle of fish. I believe we would all fall short of perfectly moral behaviour if the truth be told. That means half the orgers who voted are liars or at least not aware of the difference between right and wrong. How morals that?

The skeletons in the cupboard, an excellent response. :D How ever by accepting that we have been immoral in the past and bringing it out into the open, does that make us any less immoral. We often hear of these stories where people have come clean about some thing many years after the event.

Could not morality be an ever changing state in our lives, as an adolescent, the only thing on my mind was girls, totally immoral as I would have been blinded by the physical act irregardless of the social consequence. However as we get older and hopefully more wiser, would you not consider that we pay more attention to the social consequence of our behaviour? (sorry for delay in response but depth in thought)

Welcomefamily
25-Jan-09, 10:54
There's no conflict there whatsoever.

We all pay for what we use in society, so pay your dues. If you don't like paying your dues - opt out of the system you don't like.

Not paying your dues is not immoral - it is illegal.

'Morals' are ideals not laws. (and yes, I know I said 'laws' in my original post - scrub that bit).
British law states that you will be commiting an offence if you do not comply with the law. You can be a perfectly law-abiding citizen in the UK and still be labelled 'Immoral' - if you listen to those who see themselves as 'the moral guardians of society' - whatever that load of tripe means.

'Immoral' - That's the sort of line people use to justify hatred, seclusion and the crushing of anyone who does not fit in with a given set of 'Ideals' not law.

So as I said, there is no conflict.

I total agree and (sorry for not getting back before now) it was just the laws point I was picking up on, I too have been called immoral many times in my life. The problems with morals are every one intrepretates them differently.

So what should the present days morals be? orgers, some of the orginal ones are covered by law such as I shall not kill or steal, and I am busy trying to find a bible, I dont even know where they are, genesis I believe, (totally immoral).

Penelope Pitstop
25-Jan-09, 11:37

Ah, but would you really want to be........I'd like to live a long time, but I'm not sure if I'd like to be here... forever and ever (sounds like a song there !!!) :lol:

joxville
25-Jan-09, 11:41
I've lived a (mostly) moral life but see-ing the name Penelope Pitstop above reminds me I always wanted Dick Dastardly and Muttley to win in Wacky Races. So maybe that says something about the real me! :D

Penelope Pitstop
25-Jan-09, 11:46
I've lived a (mostly) moral life but see-ing the name Penelope Pitstop above reminds me I always wanted Dick Dastardly and Muttley to win in Wacky Races. So maybe that says something about the real me! :D

Tee, heee, heee, heee, heee ...in a Muttley chuckle (you'll have to imagine the shoulders going up and down too!!) [lol]

Thumper
25-Jan-09, 12:08
I would like to think that I am a very moral person,but thats maybe because I am such a terrible liar that I have to do the right thing [lol] Seriously though,everyone has different standards of morals and what is morally wrong for one may be acceptable to another so we all just have to do what we think is the "right thing" x

Bad Manners
25-Jan-09, 16:03
MMMMM it is immoral to kill yet we do in protecting our country. it's moral to do your duty, so when you kill as part of your duty which is it?
This is a soldiers dilema. it's wrong to take life but you do it for Queen and country this is accepted as being ok yet in your mind you know it's wrong.
Having crossed the line from moral to immoral are you ever moral again.
it is a very grey area who sets the line?

percy toboggan
25-Jan-09, 18:21
If only the issue were so black and white.
For the most part I tend to do the right thing.

Opportunities to profit from doing the 'wrong thing' seldom come my way
but knowing what I know now I might grab the next one and hold it to my breast.

Therefore I cannot honestly answer your question. I do know I'd never do anyone much harm... or enter anyones dwelling or business premises...steal personal property , refrain from upsetting all but the most precious of folk so that's summat I s'pose.

am I immoral? I dunno. Though I do care.

crayola
25-Jan-09, 20:16
I've been thinking about this all day and I think I might be immoral. Longstanding members might remember how I made my living when I was young. :o

joxville
25-Jan-09, 20:57
I've been thinking about this all day and I think I might be immoral. Longstanding members might remember how I made my living when I was young. :o

Someone had to ask......living off immoral earnings...did you work for the taxman? [lol]

trix
26-Jan-09, 16:19
i tried til take part in 'iss little poll but findin it difficult til decide if i am moral or no...

i think i am, an i guess iveryone wid lek til think that they are but...

dis bein moral mean believin in 'e government, supportin them.....dis it mean supportin yer church....religiously?

or dis it mean til do yer bests by people an help 'e little auld wifie across 'e rod, dina steal or tell lies. be politically correct when ye can.

im probly (in 'e eyes o' society) no morally correct all 'e time but i do live by ma own little set o' morals, which is in co-herent wi 'e law - (mostly) :lol: :Razz eh...only kiddin!!!

i sleep easy at nite ;)

TBH
26-Jan-09, 22:16
Why do you care who is moralistic and who is not?

Whitewater
27-Jan-09, 00:22
Morals concern the good and bad things inherant in human behaviour. Most societies have certain standards of behaviour which most of us would profess to follow. I dont always follow them so i have immoral moments. It's best to get them out of your system when your younger because they get fewer and further between as you get older. Mores the pity.

Have to agree with that gleeber, I would still love to be immoral, but I guess I'm getting too old for it now so I will have to be moral, but not by choice, age has too much to do with it now.

crayola
28-Jan-09, 00:56
Someone had to ask......living off immoral earnings...did you work for the taxman? [lol]Good grief, no! I wasn't nearly that immoral!

I used to be a model. It paid rather well.

JAWS
31-Jan-09, 03:40
Nothing immoral in that crayola. It was your choice and it certainly wasn't hurting or damaging anybody. That being the case morality is not an issue.
Don't you dare let certain Harpies get through to you.

Moonboots
31-Jan-09, 11:57
Tell you the truth im abit of both but would have to say immoral has the upper edge [lol]

As what Jaws has said theres nothing immoral about being a model and you never hurt nobody.

Moonboots
31-Jan-09, 12:49
Good grief, no! I wasn't nearly that immoral!

What type of model work did you do anyway!!.

ShelleyCowie
31-Jan-09, 12:59

A model! :eek:

I wish i was a model! Lol! Always a poser...love being infront of the camera! haha! :lol:

Im not vein...i just love myself! :Razz

Moonboots
31-Jan-09, 13:15
I wish i was a model! Lol! Always a poser...love being infront of the camera! haha! :lol:

Im not vein...i just love myself! :Razz

Now Shell does the camera love being in front of you [lol]

crayola
31-Jan-09, 14:32
What type of model work did you do anyway!!.I did red top work to start with. It paid well and I made some good friends but it really is a bit sad, sleazy even, and most of the girls were drama queens. I tried to get into fashion but I wasn't quite skinny enough for the time. I did a good bit of work for Pretty Polly and you will have seen my legs on the walls of every Tube station if you travelled in London in the late 80s. It was never my face that was attached to them though. They cheat all the time in the advertising world! :lol:

Moonboots
01-Feb-09, 10:19
Na i never travelled in London in the 80's.
The 90's but not the 80's then.

Yea i know they are bad on cheating but again everyone does it especially nowadays.
Airbrush comes to mind now lol

Now the red top work might be worth seeing [lol]

crayola
01-Feb-09, 15:21
Now the red top work might be worth seeing [lol]You might find it if you try hard enough. ;)

There weren't too many Caithness girls in the business back then. I only knew of one other.

trix
01-Feb-09, 15:31
Now the red top work might be worth seeing [lol]

whats 'red top work'? is'ed lek....topless??? :eek:

on yersel crayola!!!!!!! :cool:

webmannie
01-Feb-09, 16:04
I did a good bit of work for Pretty Polly and you will have seen my legs on the walls of every Tube station if you travelled in London in the late 80s. It was never my face that was attached to them though. They cheat all the time in the advertising world! :lol:

Did you do Yes. We have no suspenders?

joxville
01-Feb-09, 16:18

Nowt wrong or immoral about that. If nature blessed you with good looks and figure then use them to your advantage.

I myself am a mix of Brad Pitt & Jason Statham ([lol])but have chosen not to capitalise on it.

acameron
01-Feb-09, 21:29
"There can be only one"........oops I thought you said immortal

butterfly
02-Feb-09, 00:53
Nothing immoral in that crayola. It was your choice and it certainly wasn't hurting or damaging anybody. That being the case morality is not an issue.
Don't you dare let certain Harpies get through to you.

whats a Harpie?:confused

ett23
02-Feb-09, 00:56
I did a good bit of work for Pretty Polly and you will have seen my legs on the walls of every Tube station if you travelled in London in the late 80s. It was never my face that was attached to them though. They cheat all the time in the advertising world! :lol:

You must have a good pair of legs crayola! Definitely something to be proud of!!

Lolabelle
02-Feb-09, 10:35
I think I mostly relate "morality" to sexual matters, as in immorality. But ofcourse there is more to it than that.
But I consider myself a moral person, on all counts. I don't enter into even flirtatous conversations or do anything along those lines that would embarrass or hurt my husband.
I work, we try to be totally honest in our business dealings. So I think I can say that I'm pretty moral in word and deed, to the best of my knowledge but I might do things accidently and not realise.

crayola
06-Feb-09, 21:55
You must have a good pair of legs crayola! Definitely something to be proud of!!Thank you. They are still as long and almost as slender. I made more money from my other parts mind you. :eek:

joxville
06-Feb-09, 22:15
Thank you. They are still as long and almost as slender. I made more money from my other parts mind you. :eek:

I once thought of selling my body. In those days you'd get loads for 50p. [lol]

crayola
06-Feb-09, 22:19
Selling your bits was your big mistake JV. Men without bits tend not to generate interest amongst the fairer sex. Sorry. :(

joxville
21-Feb-09, 11:43
Selling your bits was your big mistake JV. Men without bits tend not to generate interest amongst the fairer sex. Sorry. :(

Would growing moobs help? :)

ShelleyCowie
21-Feb-09, 12:40
Would growing moobs help? :)

Moobs, genius! I heard Justin Lee Colins saying that on Oops TV the other night. I was in stitches laughing at it cos i call them "Maps"

Bazeye
21-Feb-09, 12:47
Moobs, genius! I heard Justin Lee Colins saying that on Oops TV the other night. I was in stitches laughing at it cos i call them "Maps"

Thats because youre posh. Whats the matter with Mits? :lol:

ShelleyCowie
21-Feb-09, 12:49
Thats because youre posh. Whats the matter with Mits? :lol:

Haha i had never thought o that one! [lol]

crayola
21-Mar-09, 00:50
Once again I have been speaking with the person who asked if I was immoral. I asked him why he asked the question. He replied that he considers my current job to be verging on the immoral and my past jobs to be entirely immoral. Would anyone wish to reconsider their responses based on this clarification?

joxville
21-Mar-09, 00:53
Once again I have been speaking with the person who asked if I was immoral. I asked him why he asked the question. He replied that he considers my current job to be verging on the immoral and my past jobs to be entirely immoral. Would anyone wish to reconsider their responses based on this clarification?

What were your past jobs and what is your present job?

One man's meat is another man's murder.

crayola
21-Mar-09, 01:05
You know what my past jobs were and my current job is in marketing, I used to own my own company but I sold out to my current employer for a massive profit. No wonder he calls me immoral!

joxville
21-Mar-09, 15:44
You know what my past jobs were and my current job is in marketing, I used to own my own company but I sold out to my current employer for a massive profit. No wonder he calls me immoral!

I had to re-read the thread and I don't see anything wrong in your chosen paths. Nowt immoral about selling out, most of this country's biggest business' done it to look good to the shareholders, you done it to please yourself. In fact, successive Governments have sold this country out, which to me is far more immoral and heinous than you could ever be.

joxville
21-Mar-09, 16:29

I probably fancied you in your earlier career. ;)

crayola
21-Mar-09, 17:01
Was that a request for a signed photograph? ;)

It'll cost you a dozen scones!

joxville
21-Mar-09, 17:02
Was that a request for a signed photo? ;)
No....but now you mention it! :D

You give me one of yours, I'll give you one of mine. [lol]

joxville
21-Mar-09, 17:04
Was that a request for a signed photograph? ;)

It'll cost you a dozen scones!
How about a Black Forest Gateau?

I'll even spoon feed it to you...........by candlelight! [lol]

crayola
21-Mar-09, 17:04
No deal, I only accept payment in scones. But I think I might be waiting a long time if your past record on buying scones is anything to go by! :lol:

joxville
21-Mar-09, 17:06
No deal, I only accept payment in scones. But I think I might be waiting a long time for my payment if your past record on buying scones is anything to go by! :lol:
If you're avatar is anything to go by I'll be up in Scotland in 10 minutes. :D

crayola
21-Mar-09, 17:13
Better not tell wifie! :lol:

My mother has just informed me that I've been sitting here at the computer all afternoon, so I'm off out to buy something for her for tomorrow. I'll meet you in half an hour outside Kelvinbridge station. You'll recognise me. ;)

joxville
21-Mar-09, 17:16
She's not the jealous type....plus she's married and faithful too.

I'm a free man.......;)

crayola
21-Mar-09, 18:46
I've been stood up! I waited outside Kelvinhall station for more than half an hour and you still didn't show. [disgust]

joxville
21-Mar-09, 18:53
I've been stood up! I waited outside Kelvinhall station for more than half an hour and you still didn't show. [disgust]
Sorry, in all the excitement I went to Kelvinside.
You got lost too though, instead of Kelvinbridge you went to Kelvinhall. [lol]

crayola
21-Mar-09, 18:58
Oh Jox, may I call you that? I'm so sorry, I meant Kelvinhall station, I sent you on a wild scone chase. :o

joxville
21-Mar-09, 21:47
Oh Jox, may I call you that? I'm so sorry, I meant Kelvinhall station, I sent you on a wild scone chase. :o

You can call me whatever you want.........just whisper it softly in my ear.;)

As for the chase...........I'm sure you're worth it. :cool:

crayola
21-Mar-09, 22:39
I hope you're not comparing me to a bottle of l'Oreal shampoo! :lol:

joxville
22-Mar-09, 00:12
I hope you're not comparing me to a bottle of l'Oreal shampoo! :lol:

That depends what you do to make my eyes water. ;)