PDA

View Full Version : ITV to Air Appeal for Gaza

Kodiak
24-Jan-09, 15:26
BBC and SKY Television have refused to Air an Appeal for Gaza. ITV have decided to show this Appeal.

Which Broadcaster is right and which one is wrong in this, here is a link so you can read and decide :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7848673.stm

K

Shabbychic
24-Jan-09, 16:30
I think it is disgraceful not to show the appeal. After the utter carnage and suffering caused by Israel, they say they don't want to take sides. Well to me it looks as if they are taking sides, in favour of Israel.

The majority of those killed, injured and left homeless are not Hamas fighters, but innocent bystanders who are being left to pick up the pieces.

brokencross
24-Jan-09, 20:27
I think it is disgraceful not to show the appeal.

The appeal is getting loads more publicity from them NOT showing it. It has been on every news bulletin and every news channel every 15 minutes.

A very dodgy situation; the BBC must not be seen to show bias one way or the other. It was a "war" and not a natural disaster.

Now that the "non-appeal" has been highlighted in such a way, surely it wouldn't take much for an individual to seek out the relevant phone numbers or bank accounts to donate.

katarina
24-Jan-09, 21:28
Why are these kids still in the gazza strip? when London was bombed we sent our children to the country and safety. It seems to me that the palistinians WANT to see the innocent killed so that the world opinion will turn against Isreal. That to one side, the whole thing is a tragedy and we should do what we can to help.

TBH
24-Jan-09, 21:40
The appeal is getting loads more publicity from them NOT showing it. It has been on every news bulletin and every news channel every 15 minutes.

A very dodgy situation; the BBC must not be seen to show bias one way or the other. It was a "war" and not a natural disaster.

Now that the "non-appeal" has been highlighted in such a way, surely it wouldn't take much for an individual to seek out the relevant phone numbers or bank accounts to donate.That was no war. It may have been akin to shooting fish in a barrel or a turkey shoot but it certainly wasn't a war.

golach
24-Jan-09, 21:59
That was no war. It may have been akin to shooting fish in a barrel or a turkey shoot but it certainly wasn't a war.
I disagree TBH, Israel, I believe have been in a state of war since 1947, every Arab country wants to wipe Israel off the Earth, and I think Israel has to react savagely or die.

TBH
24-Jan-09, 22:08
I disagree TBH, Israel, I believe have been in a state of war since 1947, every Arab country wants to wipe Israel off the Earth, and I think Israel has to react savagely or die.
They are on a constant war footing but what they did these past weeks was abominable and nothing akin to a war.

golach
24-Jan-09, 22:09
They are on a constant war footing but what they did these past weeks was abominable and nothing akin to a war.

What has Hamas been doing for years TBH,?

brokencross
24-Jan-09, 22:13
That was no war. It may have been akin to shooting fish in a barrel or a turkey shoot but it certainly wasn't a war. I did put war in quotation marks as I agree it was not war in the true sense.
However if England was lobbing missiles over the border into Scotland for years, eventually you would say enough is enough and sort it out.

canuck
24-Jan-09, 22:45

Now that the "non-appeal" has been highlighted in such a way, surely it wouldn't take much for an individual to seek out the relevant phone numbers or bank accounts to donate.

The charity would have the costs of paying for BBC air time which in the end would reduce the monies available for aid. This way the BBC is absorbing all of those costs with its free publicity. Just think about the financial contribution that it is really making to this campaign. Good on you BBC!

hotrod4
25-Jan-09, 07:58
They are right not to show it in my opinion. It would be like saying that they support Hamas. Yes they have lost alot of people during the conflict but they are just as guilty as Israel are.It wouldnt have happened if the terrorists hadnt been firing rockets at Israel in the first place.I know some people dont like Israel but I support them in this,not a popular opinion I know but thats just the way I see it.

Shabbychic
25-Jan-09, 08:41
This issue is not about who is right and who is wrong in this conflict, it's about humanitarian needs. This appeal will not be used to fund Hamas but to supply food, clean water, blankets and drugs, without which many more innocent people will die. Not everyone in Gaza is a terrorist.

The appeal organisers are impartial in conflicts, and are there to give aid in desperate situations where people are dying. That is what this issue is about, not about which side you are on, and I believe the BBC are very wrong in their stance. I know folks who want to donate can do it without the BBC, but for them to turn their back in the face of this crisis is very wrong.

~~Tides~~
25-Jan-09, 14:17
Why are these kids still in the gazza strip? when London was bombed we sent our children to the country and safety. It seems to me that the palistinians WANT to see the innocent killed so that the world opinion will turn against Isreal.

One of the most ignorant statements I have ever read, in so many ways. Firstly assuming that the Palestinians (or perhaps you mean Muslim’s in general) are some sort of sub-human being devoid of any basic humanity in wanting to see children killed. An absolutely disgusting way of thinking, on your part.

Secondly, Gaza is one of the most built up and cramped areas on the planet, and its blockaded! Not much room for pleasant green countryside there, where the little scamps can be sent of on the train with little cards round their necks, where confusion as to what cows are and other pleasant little sepia-toned-incidents can occur.

Tony
25-Jan-09, 18:45
It is indeed a humanitarian crisis and aid is needed but I can also understand why some will turn their back. Gaza is is regarded as a terrorist state with the people voting and electing a terrorist organisation. It may then be assumed the people of Gaza are terrorist supporters.

Valerie Campbell
25-Jan-09, 19:30
I think the BBC has taken this stance because it's not a natural disaster, but it's getting much more publicity this way and gives the public the choice to donate or not.

golach
25-Jan-09, 21:16
In WW2 when the Germans sent over the Doodlebugs on London, did our government at the time run to the UN? No, we retaliated and we bombed the hell out of Germany, with the help of our allies. In my opinion the Israelies are doing just the same, and good luck to them.

oldmarine
25-Jan-09, 23:57
In WW2 when the Germans sent over the Doodlebugs on London, did our government at the time run to the UN? No, we retaliated and we bombed the hell out of Germany, with the help of our allies. In my opinion the Israelies are doing just the same, and good luck to them.

golach: I agree with what you have above except for the comment on the UN. The UN was not organised until the close of WW2. After Germany started the war the allies had no choice except to bomb the hell out if Germany. Israel finds themselves in the same situation now.

golach
26-Jan-09, 00:30
golach: I agree with what you have above except for the comment on the UN. The UN was not organised until the close of WW2. After Germany started the war the allies had no choice except to bomb the hell out if Germany. Israel finds themselves in the same situation now.
Sorry oldmarine, the UN was started in 1941

oldmarine
26-Jan-09, 01:36

I'm thoroughly confused. I enlisted in the US Marines in 1942 and the UN did not exist then from my memory.

TBH
26-Jan-09, 02:39
Israel was born out of terrorism, Irgun, haganah, stern gang?

oldmarine
26-Jan-09, 02:53

golach: June 12, 1941 nations signed a declaration to work for a free world. This was the first step toward building the U.N. June 26, 1945 all nations present at a meeting voted to accept the charter for a U.N. It went into effect October 24, 1945. A date celebrated every year as United Nations Day.

golach
26-Jan-09, 10:16
golach: June 12, 1941 nations signed a declaration to work for a free world. This was the first step toward building the U.N. June 26, 1945 all nations present at a meeting voted to accept the charter for a U.N. It went into effect October 24, 1945. A date celebrated every year as United Nations Day.
Thank you Oldmarine, I stand corrected, I have made a mental note, I must not believe Wikipedia wholeheartedly.

Penelope Pitstop
26-Jan-09, 11:02
I too think the BBC are right not to show the appeal.

brokencross
26-Jan-09, 11:38
Sky have confirmed they are not going to show it. The BBC and Sky are international broadcasters and watched globally; ITV, Ch4 and Ch5 are not. That is the subtle difference methinks!!

Boozeburglar
26-Jan-09, 13:29
It is a humanitarian appeal.

The BBC should be taken to task for not acting in the interest of the public who pay for it.

Bazeye
26-Jan-09, 19:14
There are enough worthy causes to donate to here. This has got nothing to do with us. Charity begins at home.

hotrod4
26-Jan-09, 19:23
There are enough worthy causes to donate to here. This has got nothing to do with us. Charity begins at home.
I agree, there is a little thing called the "Credit Crunch" going on!!!!!.
Lets get our own house in order before sending money to help terrorists.

Bad Manners
26-Jan-09, 20:37
I have to agree with the BBC and Sky they are important agencys in the independant news service and as such have to and be seen to be unbiased. As for the situation in Gaza the country is run by terrorists and they in turn hide behins innocent people men women and children. it is a hard situation to deal with and israel has been forced to take action there are only so many times you can turn the other cheek. I do feel sorry for these people that have to live under the grip of humas but giving the aid be it food,money or medical only prolongs the situation.
every one has their opinion just as the bbc and sky it is their opinion to take the stance they have and as such the have to justify it to themselves.

TBH
26-Jan-09, 21:26
I agree, there is a little thing called the "Credit Crunch" going on!!!!!.
Lets get our own house in order before sending money to help terrorists.
Nobody is suggesting helping terrorists, whatever gave you that idea, are you suggesting that all Palestinians are terrorists?

youoldduffer
26-Jan-09, 22:11

Totally agree we should be looking to ourselves

TBH
26-Jan-09, 22:14
Totally agree we should be looking to ourselvesThat would be perfectly alright if thousands of our own citizens were being bombed to oblivion but they are not.

Boozeburglar
26-Jan-09, 22:37
Well there are many here being bonged into obliviousness with rising THC rates, hopefully the timely reclassification of cannibas to class B will have some effect.

As far as this appeal goes, it is a humanitarian appeal to help the innocent. No one can make any moral argument against its vailidity.

Well said TBH.

TBH
26-Jan-09, 22:48
Well there are many here being bonged into obliviousness with rising THC rates, hopefully the timely reclassification of cannibas to class B will have some effect.

As far as this appeal goes, it is a humanitarian appeal to help the innocent. No one can make any moral argument against its vailidity.

Well said TBH.Every right thinking human should support this appeal, to do otherwise and claim you can't get involved because of politics is nothing more than a copout.

Whitewater
26-Jan-09, 23:39
I feel that by the BBC and SKY not supporting the appeal they are supporting Israel, so bang goes their impartiality. It is a tough position for them to be in, but you either have to take action or no action, by being negative they indicate support for Israel, by being positive they will supporting humanitarian aid, not Hamas, not Palestine but aid to the innocents who have been deprived of their homes in all this religous nonsence. I guess things could be made easier if Palestine got rid of Hamas. But that aside, Israel bombed hospitals and schools, by mistake??? I don't think so. They pride themselves on having the best intelegence service in the world, this was just several hundred yards away, they have eyes, they can see.
Methinks there are too many Jews in high places in both the BBC and SKY.

Bazeye
26-Jan-09, 23:41
Why dont the Saudis and Syrians donate. Im sure the Saudis can afford it more than we can.

joxville
26-Jan-09, 23:59
I don't want to say I don't care, it's too strong a statement, maybe indifferent to what's happening over there, simply because since I was a kid all I've known is fighting in the Middle East. They've been at war since the beginning of time and I expect by the time I pass on they'll still be fighting. I'm not suggesting people shouldn't donate but how much money can you keep putting into these disaster appeals? I won't be donating because I donate to British charities.

TBH
27-Jan-09, 00:00
Why dont the Saudis and Syrians donate. Im sure the Saudis can afford it more than we can.You are assuming that they don't?

Bazeye
27-Jan-09, 00:12
You are assuming that they don't?

If they can pay for Hamas' rockets they should pay for the humanitarian aid. If they hadnt paid for them Hamas wouldnt be able to fire them on Israel and so Israel wouldnt have retaliated.

golach
27-Jan-09, 00:16
If they can pay for Hamas' rockets they should pay for the humanitarian aid. If they hadnt paid for them Hamas wouldnt be able to fire them on Israel and so Israel wouldnt have retaliated.

Hear hear Bazeye

TBH
27-Jan-09, 00:26
If they can pay for Hamas' rockets they should pay for the humanitarian aid. If they hadnt paid for them Hamas wouldnt be able to fire them on Israel and so Israel wouldnt have retaliated.Where's your proof that they pay for the armaments that hamas use?

golach
27-Jan-09, 00:30
Where's your proof that they pay for the armaments that hamas use?
Dont be silly TBH, I gave you more sense than that, unless, you are just at the wind up and being provacative[lol]

TBH
27-Jan-09, 00:58
Dont be silly TBH, I gave you more sense than that, unless, you are just at the wind up and being provacative[lol]Would I.[lol]

Aaldtimer
27-Jan-09, 03:47

I think it's a well known fact that Hamas is financed clandestinely by Iran.
The people of Gaza voted for Hamas.
Hamas have been firing rockets into Israel at the rate of 80-90 rockets per week for EIGHT years!
It's only logic that Israel would eventually say enough is enough.
Hamas is an organisation dedicated to the destrucion of Israel, they don't give a tinker's cuss about collateral damage.
They have plenty money to hand out to "victims" (i.e. to their supporters for the damage to homes that their actions have caused. £5000 per property as reported by the BBC)
They have plenty money for rockets and guns and ammunition.
Why do they need ours?:confused

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Jan-09, 06:07
Why do they need ours?:confused

They don't; but the children of Gaza do.

Bazeye
27-Jan-09, 18:33

Well if they dont it must have been a hell of a car boot sale they had to pay for them. Rockets dont come cheap you know.;)

Bazeye
28-Jan-09, 22:22

If all the money Palestinians and Israelis spent on arms was spent on weed I dont think there would be as much mither in the middle east.

Melancholy Man
22-Feb-09, 21:29
Oh, I've missed all the fun. Ideally I myself would not have declined to broadcast the Appeal. However, the revolting response - not least the hinterland antisemitism from Tony Benn, who long crossed the line from "national treasure" to "national embarrassment", that the Beeb would have declined to broadcast an appeal from Jesus lest it upset the Israelis - demonstrated why a step back was needed.

Israel was born out of terrorism, Irgun, haganah, stern gang?

About as relevant and accurate as stating that any named emerging independent state from European colonial rule was born out of terrorism. There is also the common fib of association the Haganah, which formed the backbone of independent Israel, with the other two.

Headed by Ben Gurion, it worked with the British authorities for peaceable transition and openly condemned murderous actions by Lehi and Etzel (and helped track down individuals responsible). Even during the 1948 war, Etzel attempted an insurrection against the I.D.F., with Ben Gurion diverting men and resources to put it down (cf. the Atalena Affair).

Methinks there are too many Jews in high places in both the BBC and SKY.

Having gone over this thread again, this comment sprang out at me. Over the past four years, the Beeb has used £200,000 of licence payers' money to suppress publication of its own Balen Report (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Balen_Report) into any anti-Israel bias. Not only does Whitewater think its in the grip of the 'Israel lobby', s/he also thinks there are too many Jews in positions which would not be commented upon were non-Jews present. Note, not Israelis or Zionist Jews... Jews fullstop, regardless of their opinions on Israeli policy.

And no-one appears to have objected to this objectively anti-Jewish comment. Maybe no-one reads Whitewater's posts.

hotrod4
22-Feb-09, 21:32
Oh, I've missed all the fun. Ideally I myself would not have declined to broadcast the Appeal. However, the revolting response - not least the hinterland antisemitism from Tony Benn, who long crossed the line from "national treasure" to "national embarrassment", that the Beeb would have declined to broadcast an appeal from Jesus lest it upset the Israelis - demonstrated why a step back was needed.

About as relevant and accurate as stating that any named emerging independent state from European colonial rule was born out of terrorism. There is also the common fib of association the Haganah, which formed the backbone of independent Israel, with the other two.

Headed by Ben Gurion, it worked with the British authorities for peaceable transition and openly condemned murderous actions by Lehi and Etzel (and helped track down individuals responsible). Even during the 1948 war, Etzel attempted an insurrection against the I.D.F., with Ben Gurion diverting men and resources to put it down (cf. the Atalena Affair).

Having gone over this thread again, this comment sprang out at me. Over the past four years, the Beeb has used £200,000 of licence payers' money to suppress publication of its own Balen Report (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Balen_Report) into any anti-Israel bias. Not only does Whitewater think its in the grip of the 'Israel lobby', s/he also thinks there are too many Jews in positions which would not be commented upon were non-Jews present. Note, not Israelis or Zionist Jews... Jews fullstop, regardless of their opinions on Israeli policy.

And no-one appears to have objected to this objectively anti-Jewish comment. Maybe no-one reads Whitewater's posts.

Before you post anymore MM think you better check out your post count!!!!!![lol] 666 spooky.

JAWS
23-Feb-09, 01:33
And no-one appears to have objected to this objectively anti-Jewish comment. Maybe no-one reads Whitewater's posts.Anti-racists can be very selective about what constitutes racism. Some racism is more racist than other racism, it all depends on which race the racism is aimed at.
It's called "Hypocrisy".

Melancholy Man
23-Feb-09, 01:47
Indeed, Jaws. Right-wing haters are more 'honest' (note, I don't mean natural or agreeable) in that they hate someone because of what skin colour they have or what ethno-national group they belong to. Left-wing haters, however, wish to remain nice and kind people, so must declare that the objects of their hate have renounced any right to respect and brought condemnation down on their own heads.

It's a two prolonged attack, which leaves the victim both abused and required to accept blame for their abuse. See this (http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/theatreblog/2009/feb/11/royal-court-theatre-gaza) appalling modern mystery play, for instance.

(At least you didn't notice when I was at post 669, Hotrod.)