PDA

View Full Version : Healthy eating, then Pigging Out!

opel
24-Jan-09, 09:48
hey folks,
for a few months now ive been eating really healthily through the day, no badness with choccies or crisps, and for a while i behaved and saw the difference in myself and my weight...
now however ive got myself into such a bad habit and im looking to you guys to give me suggestions of how to get out of it..
I come home from work again after behaving all day food wise, but then when i get the kids down, i sit in front of the telly and think.. oh well i've been good all day.. why not treat yourself...
but when i start i cant stop... i totally pig out!
So all the hard work through the day is outdone by this gorging on choccies and anything else i can get my hands on!!!
how can i stop this bad habit? any suggestions or am i just weak minded? :(

gleeber
24-Jan-09, 10:12
I have a similar regime. I can go for days on less than 2000 calories and then suddenly pig out. I would say it's more important to focus on the positive side. Pigging out has deeper roots than just wanting to lose weight. Just be aware of its damaging effect and enjoy it. :D

rockchick
24-Jan-09, 10:26
A couple of suggestions:

1) Don't have "pig out" stuff in the house - is this an option?

2) Try timing yourself...say "I'll wait until 9pm until having that snack" and go and do something else for half an hour. When 9pm comes along, have that snack, and if you want set another time for your next snack...say 9:30.

3) Replace snacking with something else you enjoy - treat yourself to a candlelit bubble bath, or some other treat.

4) This one sounds silly, but it can work...drink water before you snack! Sometimes our bodies misinterpret the feeling of thirst for hunger...so you snack when you are really just needing a pint of water.

5) I always had to snack when I was studying...so I substituted chewing gum instead which seemed to work. Sugar-free, so it didn't hurt my teeth, of course! I went through boxes of the stuff while I got my degree.

Good luck!

ShelleyCowie
24-Jan-09, 11:32
Im the worst example of dieting! I will eat quite alot over maybe 2 days, then for the next 3 days i will think i have enough energy built up to get everything done in the house and skip meals because i just dont feel like i need them!

My result is constant colds etc etc I know how bad it is for me but cant help it!

And now today i want more chocolate because i have stopped smoking! :confused

Try a food diary maybe???

telfordstar
24-Jan-09, 13:00
This might be a little of topic but with this reccesion were in and all the doom and gloom that were in with no sign of it improving I think some pigging out now and again is needed keep out spirits up.

Sapphire2803
24-Jan-09, 14:04
This might be a little of topic but with this reccesion were in and all the doom and gloom that were in with no sign of it improving I think some pigging out now and again is needed keep out spirits up.

I agree.

I love a good snuffle through the trough *oink oink* :D

If you're worried about pigging out, how about making sure you have healthy treats in the house for when the urge takes you?
You can buy all sorts of over the counter remedies that will curb your appetite, they may help. I find the snacking thing is usually brought on either by boredom (find something to do) or a low in my mood. If it's the latter, you can usually find a non food treat to perk you up if you look hard enough. :D

ShelleyCowie
24-Jan-09, 14:35
Im bored today cos the OH is working...so i have eaten 4 slices o toast and a packet o cookies already! :eek: Got jaffa cakes to attack very soon! [lol]

Kodiak
24-Jan-09, 15:28
Simply put, if you do not have it in the house you can not eat it. So personally I do not buy Biscuits etc and then even if I get cravings for them I can not eat them as I do not have them. :)

Dadie
25-Jan-09, 16:51
Im the same ... I got down to 9st at christmas and felt good but I have piled on 8lb since then by pigging out when the kids are in bed. But nothing stops me ..if im out of chocolate I will raid Laurens choc buttons or mini milkyways or if really desperate eat scotbloc!

I think its the cold weather and dark nights that causes this behaviour as im not so bad at pigging out in summer.

ShelleyCowie
25-Jan-09, 21:34
After i had my son i did not really need to loose weight. So i think i can eat what i want! But i actually cant! Lol!

I know how much i can eat before i start putting on weight so somehow manage to stop myself!

But just now i just made myself a lovely brew...and had 2 orange penguins too! :confused Just because thats the OH off to work (Darn night shift) and the wee one is asleep!

I did go on a small diet when i was 17. Lost about a stone and a half. was not meant to loose more than 10lbs for my height but the scottish slimmers kept telling me to keep going! I looked like a skeleton!

Also do women on here (or men) find it offensive when people ask what they weigh? :confused

Dadie
25-Jan-09, 22:30
I have to remember that breastfeeding does not give me carte blanche to eat everything I want in the quantities I want... 1 small bag of malteasers now and then is ok but the big bag everynight is not good:lol:

opel
26-Jan-09, 02:10
Im the same ... I got down to 9st at christmas and felt good but I have piled on 8lb since then by pigging out when the kids are in bed. But nothing stops me ..if im out of chocolate I will raid Laurens choc buttons or mini milkyways or if really desperate eat scotbloc!

I think its the cold weather and dark nights that causes this behaviour as im not so bad at pigging out in summer.

Yep,, thats my downfall the kiddies chocie tin, i buy in plenty of fruit, cereal bars and so on for myself.. but if the urge is there am away with there wee treats!! its awfull!!

i'm hopin tho it is down to sitting in with these winter nites and being bored.. in the summer im constantly out and about!!

lets just blame the winter instead oh thinkin were weak minded.. any excuse eh!!:)