PDA

View Full Version : Sea Eagle spotted I reckon

Eagleclaw68
24-Jan-09, 00:54
I was sitting in my Land Rover at the parking place west of Sandside estate and notice a big bird in the sky so I had a closer look with my binoculars its was no Buzzard to big, No Golden Eagle too big so I reckon it must of been a Sea Eagle maybe just passing through Caithness, they can fly some distance maybe from the west coast of Sutherland.

kas
24-Jan-09, 19:37
I was sitting in my Land Rover at the parking place west of Sandside estate and notice a big bird in the sky so I had a closer look with my binoculars its was no Buzzard to big, No Golden Eagle too big so I reckon it must of been a Sea Eagle maybe just passing through Caithness, they can fly some distance maybe from the west coast of Sutherland.

Sea eagles are slightly larger than Golden eagles, however sometimes it is hard to judge the actual size of them in the air. Easily possible to see a Sea eagle here as young birds wonder the coast in winter, and they have been seen west of Reay in recent years. I have never seen one but have been told the wings look like two barn doors. Golden eagle is also a possibility here.

http://www.caithness.org/nature/birdwatching/photogallery/index.php?gallery=3&image=0

Eagleclaw68
25-Jan-09, 03:31
Sea eagles are slightly larger than Golden eagles, however sometimes it is hard to judge the actual size of them in the air. Easily possible to see a Sea eagle here as young birds wonder the coast in winter, and they have been seen west of Relay in recent years. I have never seen one but have been told the wings look like two barn doors. Golden eagle is also a possibility here.

http://www.caithness.org/nature/birdwatching/photogallery/index.php?gallery=3&image=0

I do know the difference between a Golden Eagle and a Sea Eagle and I was observing the eagle with binoculars, a Golden Eagle has a Golden head a Sea Eagle does not so it was a Sea Eagle I was observing not a Golden Eagle, I wonder if someone else will reply to my thread saying it was a buzzard or maybe a phoenix?.

kas
25-Jan-09, 11:35
I am not saying it was a Golden Eagle, I actually read your post wrong when you stated Golden eagle too big, I thought you meant a golden Eagle was larger than what you saw. Anything bigger than a Goldie could only be a White-tailed Eagle.

DeHaviLand
01-Feb-09, 04:13
I do know the difference between a Golden Eagle and a Sea Eagle and I was observing the eagle with binoculars, a Golden Eagle has a Golden head a Sea Eagle does not so it was a Sea Eagle I was observing not a Golden Eagle, I wonder if someone else will reply to my thread saying it was a buzzard or maybe a phoenix?.

Charming! And sadly typical of the class of new members we seem to be getting these days:(

trix
01-Feb-09, 17:46
Charming! And sadly typical of the class of new members we seem to be getting these days:(

til be fair, 'e guy seems til ken fit he's on aboot :Razz

DeHaviLand
01-Feb-09, 22:53
til be fair, 'e guy seems til ken fit he's on aboot :Razz

Are you sure about that trix? Look at the title again. Sea eagles dont have spots:D