PDA

View Full Version : HELP potty training

mr do dar
23-Jan-09, 21:34
im wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get my son on the potty or toilet he is 3 in april and still no wear near im trying but loosing hope he just tells me no i dont want to. help :mad:

dook
23-Jan-09, 21:45
im wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get my son on the potty or toilet he is 3 in april and still no wear near im trying but loosing hope he just tells me no i dont want to. help :mad:

Super glue?

alanabain
23-Jan-09, 21:47

Just time and patience is the best.

let him run round the house without his nappy on and if he pee's try not to get upset or angry. Just keep calm and change the pants. Dont even say a word about it if u can.

Also kids hate the feeling of pee ( hense why nappies are so absorbant ) so he wont like the feeling atall and the only way he can be sure not to feel it is to go in the potty/toilet.

When he does go to the toilet give the big praise/gala/public service announment and make him feel great for doing it.

It will pay off in time.

My son is 4 1/2 now and been going in the toilet for nearly 2 years.

He never bothered with the potty much either. just went up to the toilet to be a big boy like his dad

Hope this helps

:D

Salad Fingers
23-Jan-09, 22:23

you can get these balls with cartoon character faces on them that float in your toilet. This is meant to encourage the use of the toilet. I just find my child gets stuck down the toilet trying to retrieve the Thomas the tank engine ball.

Dadie
23-Jan-09, 22:34
I dont know how to help but we are trying to potty train Lauren at the moment which isnt going to well:roll:
She has had the squits and I put her back in nappies which didnt go down well as she insisted that she was a big girl and wanted to wear big girl pants, but it wasnt practical as she would have an accident and get upset.
I got her pants with her favorite characters on them (upsy daisy and dora) which she was very proud of wearing and she would go to the potty to keep them dry.... other than that we resorted to bribery and corruption ...if she sat on the potty for 5mins and we would read her a book she got a chocolate button and if she did anything she got another chocolate button that seemed to work for a while:lol:

balto
23-Jan-09, 22:50
i have just finished potty training my 2 year old son, but to be honest not much training was needed, i think they just know in themselves, he will be ready when he feels its time, but when it does happen that will be it, my son is dry both day and night now, all set for nursery after easter. goodluck

Dadie
23-Jan-09, 23:22
Oh forgot!
We would have round or visit another child that was more advanced in the potty training that was happy to perform and ply them with lots of juice and would give them lots of praise when they used the potty and suggest that Lauren might like to use the potty as well!

unicorn
23-Jan-09, 23:27
Some children don't like potties. I have a toilet seat which has an integrated childs seat also and it has been a great hit as the children are secure on it and feel more grown up.

kitty
24-Jan-09, 00:41
I tried and tried and tried with my son to potty train him and he just didn't seem interested to point that he didn't start playschool until he was 3 1/2. I eventually realised that he thought it was better to go to the big toilet because we did. He liked the idea a lot better once he realised that that was what daddy did. Every child is different though and you just have to find what they relate to. He'll start using the potty or the big toilet as soon as he is ready :)

dook
24-Jan-09, 00:44
I tried and tried and tried with my son to potty train him and he just didn't seem interested to point that he didn't start playschool until he was 3 1/2. I eventually realised that he thought it was better to go to the big toilet because we did. He liked the idea a lot better once he realised that that was what daddy did. Every child is different though and you just have to find what they relate to. He'll start using the potty or the big toilet as soon as he is ready :)

When I was really small I could only use car sun roofs. How my parents used to laugh. Especially in really hot weather.

mr do dar
24-Jan-09, 20:01
thanks for your input . we have tried the big toilet still no intrest .
any more ideas please post them thanks again

Ash
24-Jan-09, 21:12
you can download potty training charts, just add ur own stickers and he gets one each time he goes, also when our wee one wouldnt poo in the toilet we had to sit with her and sing songs, even read to relax her and it does work

takes time and patience, and lots of praise

Dadie
25-Jan-09, 16:44
*sigh* the rigmarole you go through everytime you go for a pee... you take the child with you tell them what you are doing at every stage ..ie mummy needs a pee she is going to the toilet ..now she is pulling down her trousers...etc..etc...until now she is washing her hands...either ask them if they want to sit on the potty beside you or on the big loo when you are done and praise them for just sitting there...next step but them on the potty just before they normally pee ie first thing in the morning before a nap after a nap before the bath and 10 mins after a drink and lots and lots of praise if you get anything in the potty soon they will be asking for the toilet or potty...then the big boy / girl pants!

molly
25-Jan-09, 17:40
Hi, Dont fret about his age. He will let you know when he doesn't want to wear nappies. Leave him until he is 3. He may decide he wants to go to toilet before then. Even he is still in nappies going to Nursery, don't worry. They will just give you a call if he needs changed. My daughters were earlier trained than my son but he was quicker once he did start. Good luck and remember he won't be wearing them for ever. They grow up too fast as it is...

Valerie Campbell
25-Jan-09, 19:27
If he's showing no signs of interest in the training, leave it a couple of weeks and go back to it. Just keep repeating this. Don't put pressure on him and he'll get the hang of it when he's ready. Take him for short walks without the nappy on and give him lots of praise if he stays dry, and sympathise if he's wet. Boys do tend to take longer as well. Good luck with it all.