I recently made this video about three of my Caithness Geocaches:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=X6uu3bkweuM

I hope you like it. :)

Buttercup
03-Feb-09, 22:45

Not sure exactly what Geocaches is/are but enjoyed your video, lots of lovely sights ~ not keen on the "music" though, had to turn it off, sorry.

Dorrie
04-Feb-09, 01:11
Not sure exactly what Geocaches is/are but enjoyed your video, lots of lovely sights ~ not keen on the "music" though, had to turn it off, sorry.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the music, I will try and do better next time. :)

Geo
17-Feb-09, 12:41
Not sure exactly what Geocaches is/are

Me either. Had to look it up;
http://www.geocaching.com/

"Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment."

Dorrie
17-Feb-09, 18:23
Thank you for posting that. I should have done so! :eek:

One of the things that I like about geocaching is that it gets me out in all weathers to places I might never have gone to otherwise, especially in Scotland.

When the Grandchildren arrive, I go out to a couple of local ones and doctor them with really nice surprises in for the kids, or hide new ones with really nice stuff so they get first pick. They love treasure hunting ;)
I did a survey in one to see if people were staying in the county when they were doing them, a surprising number of people stayed because they wanted to do a few and I was pleased with that.

GPS units can be picked up quite cheaply on Ebay, the Garmin Etrex is probably the best of the basic ones and should be fairly cheap. Apart from weatherproof clothing you don't have much else in the way of cash output.

Most people start out by just finding them, there about quite a few in our area. Once they have found some, some people start placing them, others start creating travel bugs - which is all part of the fun. Again, please go to www.geocaching.com (http://www.geocaching.com) to find out what all of these things are, but basically it is as easy as you want to make it as each cache is rated by ease of find and terrain.
:)

doyle
17-Feb-09, 19:54
My son and his girlfriend go geocaching and when he came home for a week he took me out and we did 4 in Caithness - Castletown Heritage Trail, Brough, Dunnet Head and Ham Harbour. The weather wasn't great that day but I enjoyed it. Thinking about getting my own GPS!

lynne duncan
17-Feb-09, 21:40
borrowed my dad's gps and am planning to try this later on in the year

Julia
20-Feb-09, 19:31
I wouldn't mind having a go either, already have GPS so will read up on it a bit more.

Dorrie
20-Feb-09, 22:53
That's great all, it really is a good way of getting out and enjoying the weather. :)

horseman
21-Mar-09, 07:04
Thanks for that Dorrie, really enjoyed it an the music to.:)

wickscorrie
01-Apr-09, 13:13
i borrowed my dad's gps but am struggling to make head or tail of it, think i'll have to give in and ask him how it works, then will take the kids out a wander

wickscorrie
13-Apr-09, 11:32
yahoo we found the "go and see the (cliff) head" on our 3rd try, think this could become addictive, though still don't think i've got the gps set up 100%

wickscorrie
13-Apr-09, 22:33
took the other two bairns back to show them the cliff one, they thought this very cool, so off to staxigoe to find the next one and yippee found it but couldn't find the one at somerfield, when we went back to the one at the cliffs we met tiddles who was removing the box of travelbugs to take back to east anglia, again the bairns were impressed by this.

the one at staxigoe was a bit water logged though, maybe if i get a chance during the week i'll go and dry it out

with the geocaching how many has anyone else found??

Beat Bug
04-Jul-09, 10:18
Found a few caches last week. Didn't need the sat nav for the one near Somerfields, but had to go back a second time before finding the one at Whalligoe. Hope to find Ask Ivy this weekend. Tried to go into Geocaching.com yesterday, and again this morning, but all I get is a message saying Server not found! Anyone else have this problem?

wickscorrie
04-Jul-09, 19:31
hi we had this problem with the geocach website but it is back up and running now, any clues for the somerfield one, we couldn't find it and the kids were most disappointed,

planning the ones up towards dunnet head during the week

Beat Bug
05-Jul-09, 18:27
The one at Somerfields is dead easy! Stand in the car park, look at the pump, and then beyond at the tree in a cage. The cache is under a small piece of stone inside the edge, wrapped in a piece of cellophane. It's a dog's name capsule, that might be difficult to open. My sister, on holiday from Dublin, found it without the use of a sat nav!

wickscorrie
14-Aug-09, 22:15
we've just hidden our first cache and its already had visitors, it's good fun.

Rheghead
17-Aug-09, 01:01

loved the vid and music. But are the geocachers the berks driving slowly?:confused