PDA

View Full Version : Rudeness

Bad Manners
23-Jan-09, 14:39
I saw something today that made me stand back in amazment.
whilst shopping in the supermarket at the checkout was this elderly lady who had a shopping trolley full to briming anf was neatly putting all her items on the belt for the operator another middle aged woman rushed uppromptly placed a next person divider and started loading the belt the other woman was not even half way through her trolley she looked at the first lady and carried on. the elderly lady then had to keep pushing the other ladys items back on the belt to get hers in the middleaged lady just stood and watched her struggle.
to me that was rudeness of the highest order. I was unable to help the elderly lady as we were in the next checkout. all praise to the elderley lady she said nothing she struggled on but the look of bewilderment on her face said it all. has anyone else witnessed this sort of thing?

honey
23-Jan-09, 14:45
the worst was probably the time a youger person moved to give up their seat for an elderly person who got on the bus, but someone else went and sat in it instead.

but when i was (big) pregnant, i got on a busy train, i noticed a spare seat, but when i reached it, the lassy sitting beside it had her bags on me. she looked up, but completely ignored me and went back tp reading her book.

bodach
23-Jan-09, 14:52
If I had been the old lady in that situation I would have wished I had the cajones to push the divider right back to the end, pushing all the interloper's shopping onto the floor in the process.

Bad Manners
23-Jan-09, 15:03
If I had been the old lady in that situation I would have wished I had the cajones to push the divider right back to the end, pushing all the interloper's shopping onto the floor in the process.

I know how you feel had she done it to me I would have had to say something however the old lady kept her dignity and persevered

balto
23-Jan-09, 15:23
whilst shopping in the supermarket at the checkout was this elderly lady who had a shopping trolley full to briming anf was neatly putting all her items on the belt for the operator another middle aged woman rushed uppromptly placed a next person divider and started loading the belt the other woman was not even half way through her trolley she looked at the first lady and carried on. the elderly lady then had to keep pushing the other ladys items back on the belt to get hers in the middleaged lady just stood and watched her struggle.
to me that was rudeness of the highest order. I was unable to help the elderly lady as we were in the next checkout. all praise to the elderley lady she said nothing she struggled on but the look of bewilderment on her face said it all. has anyone else witnessed this sort of thing?
one word for that person and that would be IGNORANT, how the old lady kept her calm i will never know.

scorrie
23-Jan-09, 19:55
On 30th December I was press-ganged into going up to Tescos with my Wife, as my daughter wanted pyjamas and my Wife had bits and pieces to get for our neighbour. Not being a Tesco shopper on more than a couple of occasions, I found it to be full of impatient people who kept edging their trolley in closer and closer, rather than simply saying "Excuse Me". I got to the point where I told myself, "Right the next person who does that is getting a blast". I didn't have long to wait before a woman rammed her trolley up my backside with no word of request to be let past, and no apology for barging in. I took one look at her trolley, which was piled to the roof (In fact I think I saw Paul Newman and Steve McQueen trying to extinguish a fire at the top of it) and said "You sure you've got enough shopping there Madam?", "Seems to me that lot should keep the wolf from the door for a couple of days, in fact, I don't think you could fit another Twiglet on that trolley!!"

As before with the lack of apology, there was no comment, simply a look of pure daggers!!

Feeling in a mischievous mood, I then turned my attention to a guy who nearly mowed me down with a 37" LCD telly. Just for the crack, I waited until he had paid for the telly and then turned to my Wife and commented, "I saw that same telly on Ebuyer for £40 less".
The guys ears pricked up before he headed for the exit. A few minutes later, as we headed for the exit, the same guy was heading back to the checkout, against the tide and with his TV wide-end on, like a snowplough blade, pushing other potential escapees to the sides. I started cracking up as he fished his receipt out and started querying the price with the lassie who had served him. I don't even know if Ebuyer sell that telly.

ShelleyCowie
23-Jan-09, 20:06
On 30th December I was press-ganged into going up to Tescos with my Wife, as my daughter wanted pyjamas and my Wife had bits and pieces to get for our neighbour. Not being a Tesco shopper on more than a couple of occasions, I found it to be full of impatient people who kept edging their trolley in closer and closer, rather than simply saying "Excuse Me". I got to the point where I told myself, "Right the next person who does that is getting a blast". I didn't have long to wait before a woman rammed her trolley up my backside with no word of request to be let past, and no apology for barging in. I took one look at her trolley, which was piled to the roof (In fact I think I saw Paul Newman and Steve McQueen trying to extinguish a fire at the top of it) and said "You sure you've got enough shopping there Madam?", "Seems to me that lot should keep the wolf from the door for a couple of days, in fact, I don't think you could fit another Twiglet on that trolley!!"

As before with the lack of apology, there was no comment, simply a look of pure daggers!!

Feeling in a mischievous mood, I then turned my attention to a guy who nearly mowed me down with a 37" LCD telly. Just for the crack, I waited until he had paid for the telly and then turned to my Wife and commented, "I saw that same telly on Ebuyer for £40 less".
The guys ears pricked up before he headed for the exit. A few minutes later, as we headed for the exit, the same guy was heading back to the checkout, against the tide and with his TV wide-end on, like a snowplough blade, pushing other potential escapees to the sides. I started cracking up as he fished his receipt out and started querying the price with the lassie who had served him. I don't even know if Ebuyer sell that telly.

LOL! Thank goodness i live in thurso!

But i get what u mean...i have had a few people push me out of the way to get to a bargain even though they can clearly see (and hear) me there!! Feel like i am invisable when i go shopping sometimes...

Thats where im going now...dont want to go! [lol] Choked with the cold so if anyone gets in my way tonight i wont be a happy camper!

Murdina Bug
23-Jan-09, 20:30
I hate it when I am at the checkout, down at the end packing the bags and the next person in the queue moves right down to the checkout operator ready to be served. The last time this happened I was hit on the bum by the trolley and then had to ask them to move back (politely I may add) so that I could get back to the pin machine to finish my transaction. What a look I got and a very begrudging move to the side. The number of times people barge past without even a look to the side or a simple 'excuse me' is staggering!

However, I have to say I was coming out of a shop the other day at the same time as a man who stood back and held the door for me. I said 'thank you very much' and he looked very happy to be acknowledged. Quite often I find that it is young lads that are quite good at door holding and I always say thankyou.

unicorn
23-Jan-09, 20:42
I am normally very polite but in situations such as this elderly lady had today I would no longer keep quiet.
Being small people seem to think it is ok to walk in front of me in queues and push me out the way when I am looking at things so I eventually reached a point of saying stuff it, if they are so rude why should I be polite to them.
Hubby finds me distinctly embarassing when someone queue jumps and I say in a very loud voice "excuse me but I am before you" or "am I so small you can run over me" when they bump me with trolleys to get in front :mad:

Boss
23-Jan-09, 20:57

Had a similar experience with a young "Asian" woman who appeared upset when rebuked by the cashier in that instance.
The young woman had literally cleared the supermarket of every bag of frozen chips in the shop,
When in Rome, sprung to mind although I said nothing, but felt insignificant
in the eyes of the irate frozen chip collector, her attitude appalled.