PDA

View Full Version : Telephone

shazzap
23-Jan-09, 02:10
Can anyone tell me how to get the phone number and service provider when you move into a house were neither are known. Also if it is a provider you do not want to use can you change that straight away or do you have to use the service provider who last supplied that address. Can all this be done online?

poppett
23-Jan-09, 06:48
If you phone BT they can give you the number from the address of the property if the previous tenant/owner did not take the number with them when they moved. If there is still a line connected they will give you a code to call from the phoneline in the house and it will ring back right away and an automated voice will tell you what the allocated number is. Hope this helps.

You should be able to choose your service provider as soon as you are connected.

I only use BT for the landline (no choice here, and we needed the landline to get Sky+) but use Pipex for broadband and calls.

shazzap
23-Jan-09, 11:14
If you phone BT they can give you the number from the address of the property if the previous tenant/owner did not take the number with them when they moved. If there is still a line connected they will give you a code to call from the phoneline in the house and it will ring back right away and an automated voice will tell you what the allocated number is. Hope this helps.

You should be able to choose your service provider as soon as you are connected.

I only use BT for the landline (no choice here, and we needed the landline to get Sky+) but use Pipex for broadband and calls.

Thanks for that poppett you say you have no choice for your landline why is that i would have thought if you would have numerous choices in the Caithness area.

Bobinovich
24-Jan-09, 00:49
BT supply all the landlines up here - there's no other telecoms provider in the exchanges. BUT saying that you can take your line rental, calls & broadband to any provider offering the complete package if you wish, or you can split them (i.e. rental & calls to one company, broadband to another).

However as I've experienced many times, if a problem occurs on your broadband then you have to talk to your Internet Service Provider . They in turn will talk to your line provider (if different) who, if the problem is escalated (i.e. if it's the line itself which is faulty), will have to talk to BT to resolve it :eek:

That's why I'm with BT for everything - it might be more expensive, but if anything goes wrong you're at least talking to the organ grinder, not the monkey :D!