PDA

View Full Version : VISA & Mastercard Warning

Angel
22-Jan-09, 22:56
This one is pretty slick since they provide Y O U with all the information, except the one piece they want.
Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it.
This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself.

One of our employees was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called on Friday from "MasterCard".

The scam works like this: Person calling says, "This is(name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank) did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for £497.99 from a Marketing company based in London ?" When you say "No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 to £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be applied to your account. I just need to confirm your address (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a
fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the number listed on the back of your card and ask for the Security & Fraud Department.

You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works the caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card." He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers." There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?" After you say, "No," the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and hangs up.

Don't give it to them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master Card directly for verification of their conversation. The real VISA told us that they will never
ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

Please pass this on to all your family and friends. By informing each other, we protect each other.

Angel

Venture
22-Jan-09, 23:28
Thanks for the very detailed information Angel. These fraudsters are becoming more and more devious. People don't always think straight when they receive a telephone call like this. Giving out this warning has certainly alerted me to the situation. Thanks again for sharing it with us.;)

sam
22-Jan-09, 23:31
This scam has been on the go for a few years now, I find it hard to imagine that anyone would actually give their 3 digit security number out over the phone even if it did sound ligitimate, especially if the caller knew all other details, but i know there are some who do believe the caller is genuine and give it out...............just goes to show what a sad world we live in there are fraudsters everywhere that will stop at nothing to get their grubby hands on folks hard earned cash.:mad:

unicornleather
23-Jan-09, 00:22
Thanks, I can see through the scams a mile off but my mother falls for everyone going, I will print this out and give it to her and paste it on the wall by her phone!
Oz :)

sandyr
23-Jan-09, 00:42
Just on the News tonite in North America....A massive Credit Card Scam & Failure of Security in the United States over the past year.
Anyone who has been to the U.S. in the past 12 months should check their Credit Card Statements. Apparently it started with American Express, but could affect Visa & MC.
FYI...............

MadPict
23-Jan-09, 01:13
This is just another email doing the rounds - may be true or may be another hoax...

Sophos recommends not to pass this email onto your friends and colleagues as it is a hoax.
http://www.sophos.com/security/hoaxes/visa_mastercard_scam.html

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/card-security-code-scam.html

Rule of thumb - never give ANY card details to anyone who rings YOU.

poppett
23-Jan-09, 07:10
Had a similar call last year with Mastercard about a potential scam with cotton traders. Gave them no information, but phoned the credit card company directly and found they had put a stop on my two cards and also my bank account (all same company). It was a real pain being without cards for over two weeks until new ones came out, and a hassle resetting all the companies the cards were used regularly with, worst of all not being able to get cash from a hole in the wall, but the Cotton Traders scam was for real. I would never give information out over the phone, but if it is for real, then the card company will freeze the cards as a precaution.

Penelope Pitstop
23-Jan-09, 13:40
I had a phone call on Monday from Mastercard Fraud Department re a payment transaction I had tried to do over the internet. They asked me for the 3 digit pin from the back of the card.

After reading your post I phoned them to check if it was a legitimate call. It was. When I asked if I should have been asked for the 3 digit card number on the back the adviser said that yes sometimes that it asked for security reasons. The adviser did say that if you are at all dubious as to whether a call is genuine or not you should call the credit card on the number on the back of the card and speak to the fraud dept.:Razz

Angel
24-Jan-09, 22:09
I believe VISA and Mastercard have the PIN number and that they would ask you questions like... What is your date of birth, or your mothers maiden name or another question you have set up between you and the card company.
I am hoping you rand the number that is on the card and not the number you were given during the converstion they had with you previously!

Angel