PDA

View Full Version : Dispatches

kitty
22-Jan-09, 21:55
I'm just watching this program about the cheaper foods in the supermarket. First off i'm surprised that the 2 families have to survive on a budget of £95 :eek:. I think thats a bit pricey for a weeks shop.

I'm also wandering what all of you do to cut down the cost of shopping and make it go further and also what you think about some of the stuff they showed on this program like injecting a water solution into chicken breasts to make them heavier.

Who uses the supermarket for most things and who uses the butcher and what is the difference in the price as i always do my shopping from the supermarket.

ShelleyCowie
22-Jan-09, 22:06
I'm just watching this program about the cheaper foods in the supermarket. First off i'm surprised that the 2 families have to survive on a budget of £95 :eek:. I think thats a bit pricey for a weeks shop.

I'm also wandering what all of you do to cut down the cost of shopping and make it go further and also what you think about some of the stuff they showed on this program like injecting a water solution into chicken breasts to make them heavier.

Who uses the supermarket for most things and who uses the butcher and what is the difference in the price as i always do my shopping from the supermarket.

I watched it too!

My shopping averagly per week is £55. £95....never! Only the weeks i see nappies on offer will i buy plenty to stock up!!!

I dont tend to buy that much "basic" ranges! I prefer to spend for quality!

Injecting chicken with water is CRAZY! They are taking our money because they make it heavier with water! Mental! maybe i should start my own chicken farm in my garden! :eek:

I get beef, pork etc etc from the butchers. Fruit and veg im goin to start headin my way to lidl!!! They are far better for the taste and the lenght of time it lasts!

The apple pies...i make my own! Then i know whats going in it! And i can put plenty of apple in because i love apples!!

Watching the program tho has made me hungry! :confused

kitty
22-Jan-09, 22:10
I will buy certain of the budget foods, like the bread because i like thinner bread for toast and the things like the chocolate moose they showed as my son loves them and goes through them soooo quickly its unbelievable. How do you find the butchers for price Shelley?

ShelleyCowie
22-Jan-09, 22:15
I will buy certain of the budget foods, like the bread because i like thinner bread for toast and the things like the chocolate moose they showed as my son loves them and goes through them soooo quickly its unbelievable. How do you find the butchers for price Shelley?

I have to buy seed sensation in this house! Lol! And we go through at least 4-5 loafs of bread a week! Lol! There are some basic stuff i do like. But rarely do i buy them!

I find butchers prices FAR cheaper! I bought 12 good sized beef olives - £5.70

Large size roast beef - £4

I prefer butchers because i see it being cut infront of me! And the butcher i go to in thurso is VERY friendly because i am never sure what weight of meat i want! So in a way she dumbs it down for me! [lol]

kitty
22-Jan-09, 22:19
Think i'm going to have to go to the butchers. Love my roast on a sunday, with working through the week i like having a big dinner at the weekend. It's the chicken fillets from the supermarket that i find so expensive, its a lot cheaper buying a whole chicken and cutting it up for what ever you need.

flowertot
22-Jan-09, 22:41
trouble with many basic brands and other ready meals for that matter is that they are full of hyrogenated or trans fatty acids which cause clogging of the arteries and heart disease. They should be avoided at all costs espedially in children.

abby 1
22-Jan-09, 22:45
Which butcher did you goes to? Just wonder!

Gizmo
22-Jan-09, 23:20
Our shopping bill each week is around £50/60, i do buy some supermarket brand products but never any of the real basic varieties, and certainly never basic meat products, i always check fat content on any meat product and if it exceeds 20 grams per 100 grams then i generally won't buy it, i'm not a health freak but i do watch what i put in my body, and as shown on Despatches most of those basic products are complete muck.

I was always aware of the practice of adding water etc to chicken fillets, but to be perfectly honest with you, once it's chopped and cooked in a nice sauce you can't really notice any difference.

LMS
22-Jan-09, 23:24
Harrold Brothers in Wick are very good. I have also bought beef and lamb packs from Greystones Farm at Watten. They deliver packs to the door and the price and quality are excellent.

Alice in Blunderland
22-Jan-09, 23:40
Think i'm going to have to go to the butchers. Love my roast on a sunday, with working through the week i like having a big dinner at the weekend. It's the chicken fillets from the supermarket that i find so expensive, its a lot cheaper buying a whole chicken and cutting it up for what ever you need.

I buy my chicken fillets from the butcher as you get a big pack for twenty five pound and I would say there is often at least seventeen breasts in the pack.

I then pack them down into smaller packs and freeze them. :)

hotrod4
23-Jan-09, 07:20
I suppose I am lucky being a chef, but i try and avoid "budget" foods and make things myself. Time can be a bit of a pain when I am working but i would rather make it than buy it in.i use this philosophy at work as i find buying things in "lazy" in a workplace.
It can take a bit longer but the end result and satisfaction at seeing the family tuck in is priceless.

I know I am fortunate to be able to make things myself but it isnt always that hard. For example if you make some mince and tatties and theres some left mix it together dip it in batter and fry it,then freeze it for another nights tea!(warm in oven to reheat)

Left over bolognese? make savoury pancakes and put the mince inside spread tom puree over the top and a grating of cheese and whack them in the oven for another tea!!.

The way I look at it, its nothing to do with skill and more to do with imagination!!

Imagination is free whether its "budget" or not!!!!![lol]

kitty
23-Jan-09, 08:16
I suppose I am lucky being a chef, but i try and avoid "budget" foods and make things myself. Time can be a bit of a pain when I am working but i would rather make it than buy it in.i use this philosophy at work as i find buying things in "lazy" in a workplace.
It can take a bit longer but the end result and satisfaction at seeing the family tuck in is priceless.

I know I am fortunate to be able to make things myself but it isnt always that hard. For example if you make some mince and tatties and theres some left mix it together dip it in batter and fry it,then freeze it for another nights tea!(warm in oven to reheat)

Left over bolognese? make savoury pancakes and put the mince inside spread tom puree over the top and a grating of cheese and whack them in the oven for another tea!!.

The way I look at it, its nothing to do with skill and more to do with imagination!!

I agree hotrod it is a lot to do with imagination but the trouble i find is that i get bored with trying to think what to have for dinner and then i think you end up getting stuck in a rut and having the same thing week after week.

I prefer making things myself as well, it gives a sense of satisfaction once you've made it and see people enjoying it. Thats why i save the big dinners for the weekend and have things like lasagne or chops through the week.

BRIE
23-Jan-09, 11:45
crikey my shopping is around £140-£160 a week!!! :eek:

Fluff
23-Jan-09, 12:06
I do most of my shopping at Sainsburys but their fruit and veg is rank. I am going to try to stop buying my chicken at the supermarket and go to the local butcher instead.
I have never really been a fan of basics range of food, don't like the taste. I would rather spend alittle more or go to M&S food. But then I am lucky in that I can afford that at the moment, I know not everybody can.

Bad Manners
23-Jan-09, 12:10

Have to agree 100% it's a case of buying the best you can afford not nessesery the most expencive and turn it into a meal as hotrod says dont waste leftovers with a little imagination or an old cook book you can find lots of ways to reuse it. especially in the current climate when money is tight you eat better,you avoid the processed foods and you save on having to recycle the all the excess packaging. you dont have to be a pro chef(no insult hotrod) you just have to use a little thought.

hotrod4
23-Jan-09, 19:15
It reminds me of when I was growning up and at the age of 16 my old man told me "Its not what you've got, its how you use it".;)

sweetpea
23-Jan-09, 20:18

I watched it too, no new surprises I'm afraid, I have known about a lot of what was in the programme before.
I'm not a fan of supermarkets not least because of prices but they scare me a bit, big, impersonal etc.
The only reason I go to the butcher, grow as much as I can and look for freshness and healthiness is becuase that's the way my granny taught me.
I go to the butcher about 3-4 times a week and stretch it to make 2 or 3 meals out of a piece of meat or something, freezing leftovers for lunches etc. I get really annoyed with myself if I have to throw something away.
On the rare occasions we eat pastry I make my own and I make bread for my OH, I don't eat wheat.
For toiletries and cleaning I shop around or buy multi-purpose things.

Dadie
24-Jan-09, 00:06
If toiletries and things that dont go of are bogof or on special I bulk buy.
I usually have dinners that stretch to 2 nights and a freezer portion just incase when I cook and I use butcher meat or supermarket (but not the really basic stuff that you cant really call meat anyway) and for veg I cant think you can beat lidls up here but I was in aldi in inverness and was impressed and if we have leftovers we will have a suprise meal and bones or the chichen carcass is used for soup or stock and eaten or frozen.

Mum taught us well....:lol:

Whitewater
24-Jan-09, 00:22
We always use our local butcher, they display where the meat has come from. Also the other reason for using the butcher is that I can get the meat cut exactly as I want it, in a supermarket you can only get what is on display. However, I must admit that we sometimes buy chicken (ready cooked) from the supermarket and also duck, we have always found it to be good quality, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

dook
24-Jan-09, 00:24
However, I must admit that we sometimes buy chicken (ready cooked) from the supermarket and also duck, we have always found it to be good quality, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Why do you duck when you buy a chicken?

Salad Fingers
24-Jan-09, 00:26
We always use our local butcher, they display where the meat has come from. Also the other reason for using the butcher is that I can get the meat cut exactly as I want it, in a supermarket you can only get what is on display. However, I must admit that we sometimes buy chicken (ready cooked) from the supermarket and also duck, we have always found it to be good quality, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

I found my chicken went cheap. so I cooked it a little longer in the microwave.

dook
24-Jan-09, 00:28
I found my chicken went cheap. so I cooked it a little longer in the microwave.

I always chick, feather or not it's cooked