PDA

View Full Version : Fish help ?

barmar62
22-Jan-09, 21:47
Hi, can someone help please. I have recently been given a fish tank (about 3 foot long ) and I want to get some goldfish to put in it for my children, I don,t know anything about filters and pumps,( I do want bubbles coming from under the gravel ! ) Can anyone tell me what I need to buy, size/make etc.? I don't want to ask in the pet shop as I think they'll try to sell me expensive stuff I don't need !
Thanks.;)

neepnipper
22-Jan-09, 22:32
Hi - I've sent you a pm!

router
23-Jan-09, 15:49
The size of filter would depend on water volume. You say 3ft so it could be up to 200l.You would require a filter that does atleast 10x that so we are talking minimum of 1000lph would keep the water crystal clear as goldfish are extremely messy. They constantly eat as they have no stomach, more of a continuous digestive system.They produce alot of waste and an external filter would be the best, but a good internal should do it. Tetratec is a good make for high volume filters. or you can get one on ebay .
If you are looking for undergravel air mats then go to ebay,some good ranges.If you are going for plants then i would advise onion plants as these are hardy, as the goldfish will destroy any plants put in there.

Keeper of fish and oh is a keeper of fish. Hope this gives you some info and good luck.

Here is a link to a site which gives all info on how to maintain a healthy tank for goldfish.http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_12/keeping-goldfish.htm

barmar62
23-Jan-09, 19:24
Thanks for the help I'll see what I can find on ebay. I have seen some really nice set ups but if you get it wrong you end up with a dark murky mess in the corner of the room ! I don't really want this to be an expensive venture just a nice feature in my living room.:D