PDA

View Full Version : Joining up.

cuddlepop
22-Jan-09, 20:24
With the current employment climate like it is my son whose 22 in April has decided he's aswell joining the Royal Navy.

He's toyed with the idea before but decided to do his apprenticeship with his dad and is now a fully qualified joiner.

There are no jobs though and the outlook is bleak.

On the news today its been reported that the forces are expecting an almost 100% increase in recruits.

The state the middle east is in just now he's got me scared and he's not even filled in his application form.:eek:

Basically although its not in the job description as blunt as this but surely its be prepared to kill and be killed?

young_fishin_neep
22-Jan-09, 20:38
Im 17 and things with me are currently forwarding my life to joining the army, on the 2nd of feburay i start a course down in inverness to get me trained for army life, and at the moment my veiw is to join the army after.

yes i supose i am scared of what might happen but i just put it out my mind, at the end of the day there are risks with all jobs.

as he is fully trained as a joiner he could apply to be a joiner in the navy, there are many sections, he doenst necessarily have to be on the front line, the front line is not always for everybody. with this there are still risks but not as much of a rish as being on the front line.

i personaly dont use the veiw prepare to kill and be killed as that can put many people off and is not always the case

kazzii xx

Fluff
22-Jan-09, 20:38
Don't worry too much. RN is more peacekeeping and patrolling for pirates. He will be away for about 6 months at a time on board though.
Secure job, good pension, paid to see the world. Just let him know it is not a quick process, takes a good few months.
I am hoping to apply again later this year, but not sure if I will get in on medical grounds.

teenybash
22-Jan-09, 20:40
I admire your son in looking to the future and trying to see ways of getting through a time of great difficulty.
The Royal Navy has much to offer and it would be unlikely that he would be called upon to take part in ground combat as I believe that is usually up to the army. He sounds a great lad and you as his mum will only want to protect him and keep him safe..............but you have brought him up and obviously given him the gift of courage to enable him to think of this career. :)

cuddlepop
22-Jan-09, 21:04
I admire your son in looking to the future and trying to see ways of getting through a time of great difficulty.
The Royal Navy has much to offer and it would be unlikely that he would be called upon to take part in ground combat as I believe that is usually up to the army. He sounds a great lad and you as his mum will only want to protect him and keep him safe..............but you have brought him up and obviously given him the gift of courage to enable him to think of this career. :)

If he gets an interview in Inverness the job centre will pay for his bus fare there and back.They are actively encouraging him too.

Being unemployed he's expected to approach 6 employers on Skye every 2 weeks but there are no jobs so will he be charged with harassement.;)

Its scarey Teenybash but at this rate with the unemployment figueres rising it looks like the most secure job prospect..

Tugmistress
22-Jan-09, 21:09
There's no jobs up here for the youngsters either CP, never mind on an island! neep is my daughter and i can understand why she is going this route, she'd rather not sit on her ass and bum off the state. She is quite right in her posting, albeit a different armed forces she is making a move towards and fluff is right it hink saying that the RN are moe peacekeeping. Don't be scared for him, he'll feel that, be proud of him :D

cuddlepop
22-Jan-09, 21:11
Don't worry too much. RN is more peacekeeping and patrolling for pirates. He will be away for about 6 months at a time on board though.
Secure job, good pension, paid to see the world. Just let him know it is not a quick process, takes a good few months.
I am hoping to apply again later this year, but not sure if I will get in on medical grounds.

With his hand being injured after the infection last summer movement and strength is still a bit weak so will have to see if he even passes the medical.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the time process dont think he was prepared for a few months wait for everything to materialise.:eek:

Hope your successful too.

cuddlepop
22-Jan-09, 21:16
There's no jobs up here for the youngsters either CP, never mind on an island! neep is my daughter and i can understand why she is going this route, she'd rather not sit on her ass and bum off the state. She is quite right in her posting, albeit a different armed forces she is making a move towards and fluff is right it hink saying that the RN are moe peacekeeping. Don't be scared for him, he'll feel that, be proud of him :D

Tuggs I am so very proud of him even now.
He's managed to live and work with my bad tempred,grumpy x and still get his qualification.
Since he was 16 he's wanted to go to sea but wasnt allowed(not by me) ,for once he 's telling his old man its his life.

Skye is a hot bed of trouble for our young folks,far too many drugs available and all to often they see it as an easy solution to money troubles or a route to oblivion.:~(

golach
22-Jan-09, 22:16
Sorry to disillusion you all, the RN forces are right in the thick of it in Helmand Province, who do you think are running the Hospitals, and many other jobs, I have two Ex Junior Ratings I trained in the Royal Naval Reserve, now serving in Iraq, and they are females also, they are Senior Rates now, and both hold good civilian jobs, but they are doing 4 month stints out there, there is not such a thing as a safe job when you sign up these days.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.5811

Anne x
22-Jan-09, 22:37
Cuddlepop Be proud of him I hope he is successful A great career is ahead of him I hope last years Illness does not prevent him in any way and all the best to Fluff and Young Fishing Neep in pursuing what you want to do
I am quite sure the three are bright articulate and hard working people just what the services require and are quite aware of whats ahead with family experiences and media coverage

My own nephew joined the Merchant Navy last year after 2 different Uni Courses which he completed over a few years to do with Sports not for him though but has now got job satisfaction at last and in his case it was choice and not because there was nothing on offer just something he always wanted to do

slinky
22-Jan-09, 23:13
With the current employment climate like it is my son whose 22 in April has decided he's aswell joining the Royal Navy.

He's toyed with the idea before but decided to do his apprenticeship with his dad and is now a fully qualified joiner.

There are no jobs though and the outlook is bleak.

On the news today its been reported that the forces are expecting an almost 100% increase in recruits.

The state the middle east is in just now he's got me scared and he's not even filled in his application form.:eek:

Basically although its not in the job description as blunt as this but surely its be prepared to kill and be killed?
wish i could of but we asthma for 24 od years no chance

hotrod4
23-Jan-09, 07:27
With so little jobs its hardly surprising people are considering a career in the forces.
Thats how I started my career and I wouldnt change it for the world. Yes its tough, yes it can be scary but it makes you a better,stronger person to deal with things in the future.

I only did 4 years got my Trade and then high-tailed it home, but even now people respect the fact that i am "Army trained" as employers see that as a sign of excellenct training.

I wish you all the best cuddlepop and you will find an immense pride in your son when you see them return home for the first time. My mum told me when i first came home after 3 months training that she had seen me grow from a boy to a man and she was extremely proud of me.

In my opinion it is a good move,though I am biased! and after being in the forces he will have loads of stories to tell his children in the future!![lol] (I still do!!)

Bad Manners
23-Jan-09, 10:18
cp be it the navy,army or air force he would go through a rigerous process of selection and they would only take him if he is fit and of the right attitude. that said they do explain exactly what is required good and bad.
despite the current confilcts the risks are still low there are more people killed crossing the road. it is a chance you take. If it's what he wants let him try after all he is a grown up now.
best of luck

BRIE
23-Jan-09, 11:37
my son was planning on leaving school & getting an apprenticeship, but has now decided that the army life is for him. Hes 15 & has just sent off his application! :eek:

cuddlepop
23-Jan-09, 13:47
my son was planning on leaving school & getting an apprenticeship, but has now decided that the army life is for him. Hes 15 & has just sent off his application! :eek:

Been there before in my case my son made enquiries to join the Marines at a jobs fare when he was 16.
I'm not sure but I do think if they hadnt of relentlessly pursued him he would have joined up then.

The Navy it would appear runs in my X familys blood so I'm not really suprised he couldnt resist the call of the sea for anylonger.:)

BRIE
23-Jan-09, 15:38
my son went down to Inverness for a week before xmas on a introduction to army life course run by the police. I thought it would put him off for sure but no it had the opposite effect! Even running for an hour in the rain in just his boxers as punishment for talking after lights out didnt even put him off!!:lol::lol:

cuddlepop
23-Jan-09, 16:14
my son went down to Inverness for a week before xmas on a introduction to army life course run by the police. I thought it would put him off for sure but no it had the opposite effect! Even running for an hour in the rain in just his boxers as punishment for talking after lights out didnt even put him off!!:lol::lol:

I'm sure it was just like being at home in Caithness.
Our dog which was from Watten just loves being out in the rain and wind.

Bonkers springs to my mind.:lol:

sweetpea
23-Jan-09, 23:38
Im 17 and things with me are currently forwarding my life to joining the army, on the 2nd of feburay i start a course down in inverness to get me trained for army life, and at the moment my veiw is to join the army after.

yes i supose i am scared of what might happen but i just put it out my mind, at the end of the day there are risks with all jobs.

as he is fully trained as a joiner he could apply to be a joiner in the navy, there are many sections, he doenst necessarily have to be on the front line, the front line is not always for everybody. with this there are still risks but not as much of a rish as being on the front line.

i personaly dont use the veiw prepare to kill and be killed as that can put many people off and is not always the case

kazzii xx

Hope you enjoy the course and all your other plans. Your advice to other young people is spot on as well. Their are many careers in the forces. All the best!:)

dook
23-Jan-09, 23:48
If a lot more of our young signed up it would lead to much better world. Learn trades, respect, discipline, right and wrong etc. Maybe then we wouldn't hear "Oh there's nothing for us to do!" (rfr take note!) and then sook off the welfare system for the next 50 years.

Whitewater
24-Jan-09, 00:11

Unfortunately cuddlepop that is the bottom line, the only reason really for the forces to exist. However, having said that, it may never happen. The Navy is a good choice, some of my close relatives made themselves excellent careers in the services, the most popular choice was the Navy. Your boy is a man now, he must make up his own mind, as long as he is aware that he might have to make the ultimate sacrifice one day. I know it must be very difficult for you, but your lad feels he needs to be doing something to be independent, and perhaps the Navy will give him what he is looking for.
I wish you luck with whatever decision is taken.

young_fishin_neep
24-Jan-09, 01:33
Hope you enjoy the course and all your other plans. Your advice to other young people is spot on as well. Their are many careers in the forces. All the best!:)

aww thanks sweetpea :) im gettin quite excited now its getting closer

xxx