PDA

View Full Version : Wick Family Centre

Julia
06-Feb-06, 15:27
What a great service for parents or carers, especially the after-school club! The kids get picked up at their school and taken to the centre. It's certainly going to solve a few childcare problems for me.

http://www.caithness.org/community/nurseriesplaygroups/wickfamilycentre/index.htm

I'm delighted!

98elite
06-Feb-06, 19:19
Totally agree Julia, we had a look round at the open day, the kids thought it would be great after school, lots for them to do, and well priced.

Zambo
06-Feb-06, 20:05
Not so great for local childminders though.......

Murdina Bug
06-Feb-06, 22:19
No, they can look after the under-3s as I believe the centre does not cater for them. Anyone confirm?

98elite
06-Feb-06, 23:17
They take the little ones from 2 yrs 9 months, as for the childminders, its getting an expensive childcare option at £3+ an hour, I know its their bread and butter too, but theres a fine line as to how much they can charge, the centre takes £1.75 an hour, you decide.

Zambo
07-Feb-06, 08:43
I'm not disputing that it's cheaper - just saying that some childminders will probably end up losing their jobs, when all the school age children are going there.

Just my opinion - great for parents, not for local childminders who also need to make a living.

squidge
07-Feb-06, 10:54
Often getting a childminder in Caithness is almost impossible. Anything that increases options for good quality and affordable childcare has to be welcomed.

Zambo
07-Feb-06, 11:28
I'm just trying to look at it from another side - just saying that possible job losses is never something to be welcomed.

In Wick, there are loads of childminders, so it's not usually that difficult to find one.

jay
07-Feb-06, 11:32
In my experience childminders were not interested in afterschool care, they could only take so many children and obviously wanted to maximise their income so took younger children who they could have all day - it used to be really difficult to get anyone who would just take the kids after school and during holidays - I'm sure this new centre will be great for both the kids and the parents

squidge
07-Feb-06, 13:52
another point worth making - and Im truly not having a go at you Zambo - you make a good point but part of the good thing about this is having choice. Parents my prefer not to choose a childminder to look after their wee ones for whatever reason - in Wick there isnt muhc of an alternative.

Zambo
07-Feb-06, 21:06
I can understand the points that some of you guys are making. Yes, this will provide more choice, and it is providing cheaper childcare. All I am saying is that it is also going to cause job losses in the community.

The family centre is going to be offering breakfast clubs before school, all day care for children from 2 years 9 months to 12 years, and childcare during the school holidays from 8am - 6pm.

Doesn't leave much for local childminders, apart from children younger than 2 years.

Hopefully there will be enough to keep everyone in a job.

LENSMAN
07-Feb-06, 22:45
You will probably find that someone that puts their child to a childminder from the beginning will stick with them rather than upset the child.
Some people will also opt for the more personnal touch, does any one know how many children can be looked after at one time in the centre?
I would imagine that there would be limits to the number of children to the number of supervisors.
Is the £1.75/hr for all children or just the after school kids?
Also with all the schools coming out at the same time how do they pick them up without some having to hang around?

brandy
08-Feb-06, 00:29
my little boy is starting play group there and im looking fowards to it *smiles* it will be a wonderful chance for him to interact with other children.. in a school like enviroment..
and as for taking away jobs.. i know the birth rate is declining but surely not that much *grins*
just like anywhere else the center can only have x amount of children..
and as for play group i know that my little one.. who is not 3 yet will only be going for about an 1 1/2 for 2 days a week..
went to teh open day and it was lovley!
well done folks!

Bill Fernie
08-Feb-06, 01:30
Remember that the new Family Centre came out of the old Amherst nursery in Wick and all of those children have moved here. For the younger ones there might not be too many new vacancies.

Zambo
08-Feb-06, 09:01
Thanks for that info Bill - I didn't realise that. :-)

krieve
08-Feb-06, 10:45
Lensman it is only £1.75 hr for the after school kids. My boy goes to the play school and he is 3 and it's funded by the goverment so you only pay £1.50 a week if your child is 3 years old .

munchkin
10-Feb-06, 23:38
this sounds great we have just moved from gretna and have a four year old he will love this can you give me directions please:lol:

pulteney person
19-Mar-06, 16:10
Was looking at photo's of Family Centre. It looks good.

Pulteneytown People's Project have been running and Out of School Club for nearly 3 years which cost £1.00 for after school or breakfast club or £2.50 per afternoon if kids get picked up from school and taken there.
They run holiday clubs too which cost in the region of £5.00 for a full day from 9.00am until 5.00pm. They take the kids on outings and have different sports coaches and art teachers come in to do activities. My kids love it, especially the trips. Loads of kids go there from different schools.

ice box
19-Mar-06, 17:30
Great looking place wish i still was a kid none of that when i was young one .

Zambo
19-Mar-06, 17:33
Local Childminders also take children on outings, which can be more beneficial, as these outings are in smaller numbers, ensuring that the children receive more attention.

They also provide various activities, toys, baking etc - all in a home environment, which can be less intimidating for shy or quiet children. They also have a chance to mix with children of all ages in a more relaxed atmosphere, therefore encouraging their social interaction skills.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Family Centre. I'm just letting everyone know that there are still local childminders in the area who can provide the same kind of service. The Family Centre have been advertising all over the town, which is understandable - I just think local childminders should be given a mention as well, in case they are forgotten or overlooked.

wilma
19-Mar-06, 17:39
just out of curiosity how much does it cost for a child minder up here how much an hour ???????????

unicorn
19-Mar-06, 17:46
check this link for information http://www.childcarelink.gov.uk/index.asp

Chillie
19-Mar-06, 19:39
I'm not disputing that it's cheaper - just saying that some childminders will probably end up losing their jobs, when all the school age children are going there.

Just my opinion - great for parents, not for local childminders who also need to make a living.

I doubt the childminders are going to loose their jobs, that's taking it to far
it's all about choice. some schools offer an after school club also,
there is plenty of children around to keep everyone happy.