PDA

View Full Version : dog chewing everything, any ideas ?

craggy island
21-Jan-09, 20:44
My little jack russell is very busy chewing up the house just now. ive moved some things completely out of her reach and i'm getting some 'bitter apple' spray to try that when we go out. she has toys, chewies etc. She has our older jack russell for company too. She has food & water, a nice warm place to sleep, music on in the background.
I wondered what you might have tried that has worked

majic
21-Jan-09, 22:24
we found that when our dogs were young we had dog cages for there beds they worked well and they are well behaved dogs

cullykev
22-Jan-09, 14:26
here is a get of spray u can buy from pets at home it might help

Thumper
22-Jan-09, 15:03
Try a small smear of vaporub on things,they dont like the smell or taste x

chaz
22-Jan-09, 15:23
Try a small smear of vaporub on things,they dont like the smell or taste x

That and mustard stopped ours when they were young :)

Tyke
22-Jan-09, 15:49
My little jack russell is very busy chewing up the house just now. ive moved some things completely out of her reach and i'm getting some 'bitter apple' spray to try that when we go out. she has toys, chewies etc. She has our older jack russell for company too. She has food & water, a nice warm place to sleep, music on in the background.
I wondered what you might have tried that has worked

I have a six month old Beardie who is teething and we use hard rubber toys to divert his attention from chair legs etc. Donald McGregor well known Vet of the County told me one way of helping to stop the destruction fo furnature etc was to attached a length of rope to the culprit's collar, 9" to 12" long, gives them something to play with and it also distracts their attention from other fun things.
Cage also works when you are out.

ClachanHope
23-Jan-09, 16:41
A cage is a really good idea for a puppy, make it a nice cosy bed with toys and you can be sure the house isn't getting chewed up when you're out. When you are at home with the puppy, you just have to be vigilant and spend lots of time training the pup and teaching it what it can and can't chew. Lots of exercise will tire the pup out and he will then be too tired to be destructive.
Exercise is the first part of any puppy training.

Miss Mack
25-Jan-09, 20:19
A crate is the best way to go, make sure its large enough for her to grow. Tried everything to stop our staffy pup from eating the walls buy nothing worked so bought a crate which she feels quite at home in, good luck:D

Tugmistress
25-Jan-09, 20:34
sorry, can't help but laugh, i have the same problem at the moment with neeps pup staying here while she is going away to college. Because i have 2 older dogs that she has for company and plays with the younger one quite a lot i didn't opt for the cage as that would not be fair by separation from the 'pack', i did opt for the soft muzzle which stops the chewing but allows drinking. it's working a treat :)

Fran
26-Jan-09, 02:58
my dogs always had lots of toys and never chewed. ive never had problems,
Have your dogs got toys? Maybe they are bored.

Miss Mack
02-Feb-09, 13:11
my dogs always had lots of toys and never chewed. ive never had problems,
Have your dogs got toys? Maybe they are bored.Some breeds are more prone to chewing than others, unfortunately toys aren't always the answer!