PDA

View Full Version : Petition - TV Licence

ShelleyCowie
21-Jan-09, 12:20
Hey guys,

someone sent me this petition to get rid of the tv licence. Maybe some of you would like to add your name to it too!!!

http://www.onebillionpageviews.org/guestbook/index.php

Kodiak
21-Jan-09, 12:47
I would love not to pay for a TV Licence but I have one problem with that.

How would the BBC Finance itself. I can think of only one way and that would be through Advertising.

This is what I like about the BBC No Advertising. It is a real pleasure to have such Great TV Stations and Radio Stations with many fantastic programmes and all with no annoying Adverts.

So what would I rather have, Pay a TV Licence and have several TV Stations + all the Radio Stations all with No Advertising, or probably less tv stations and radio stations and what would be left all with Advertising.

Well I personally would porefer to pay for a TV Licence so I will not be signing this petition.

That is my opinion and I do not expect many to agree with me.

devil's sidekick
21-Jan-09, 12:57
yes shelley i will lol

Vistravi
21-Jan-09, 13:07
defently signing this. Why should we pay to watch tv when there's nothing but rubbish on the tv now?!

Kodiak
21-Jan-09, 13:17
defently signing this. Why should we pay to watch tv when there's nothing but rubbish on the tv now?!

If you honestly think there is nothing but Rubbish on TV then why do you have a TV. It would seem to me that since you do not like any of the TV Programmes then you would be better off not having a TV Set and that way you would not be paying for a TV Licence.

I think that the BBC is one of the Very best TV Stations and they Broadcast mant Great Entertainment and Educational Programmes and is worth every penny of the TV Licence. 4 TV Stations and all the Radio Stations all for £139.50 a Year.

Even the cheapest SKY package is £180.00 a Year going up to well over £500.00 a Year. So for Value for Money the TV Licence is well worth it.

Bad Manners
21-Jan-09, 13:28
If you honestly think there is nothing but Rubbish on TV then why do you have a TV. It would seem to me that since you do not like any of the TV Programmes then you would be better off not having a TV Set and that way you would not be paying for a TV Licence.

I think that the BBC is one of the Very best TV Stations and they Broadcast mant Great Entertainment and Educational Programmes and is worth every penny of the TV Licence. 4 TV Stations and all the Radio Stations all for £139.50 a Year.

Even the cheapest SKY package is £180.00 a Year going up to well over £1500.00 a Year. So for Value for Money the TV Licence is well worth it.

100% agree if you didn't pay for the bbc the programs you get would cater to the lowest denominator we would end up like america 100's of chanels of crap for me the bbc does a wonderful job they have a few hitches every so often(Ross&Brand) but the beeb is well worth the fee

Anne x
21-Jan-09, 13:46
I think the BBC do a great job most of my television viewing is Channels 1 & 2 and listening to Radio 2 I do have sky etc and sky plus but I personally hardly ever use it apart from the Golf and Tennis I certainly dont mind paying the Licence fee the alternative would be loads more advertising and awful shows like the awful programme debated on another thread here

silverfox57
21-Jan-09, 14:08
have to agree with anne,bbc has some good tv, and radio,bbc24 news,radio 5live,are
on the ball with news as it is happening also pay for sky which is mostly repeats,but.as oh likes animals programmes on sky,but think bbc tv licence is worth paying for,

JNMWick
21-Jan-09, 14:25
Ridiculous idea not thought through in any way what so ever.
Don't pay the TV license. Ha ha ha. Grow up.
If you really don't want to pay it get rid of your TV.

ShelleyCowie
21-Jan-09, 14:49

I have done my growing up, cos i dont go around telling people to do so! :confused

I dont mind paying the tv licence, but the fact it costs so much. I love the BBC. No breaks in the middle of a program is excellent. But the fact is, i hardly ever watch it! Just now even without my sky i dont watch it!

devil's sidekick
21-Jan-09, 14:56

you want to go grow up you donkey plus what is it to do with you if we don't want to pay for a tv liscence and even though i do pay mine 'if i didn't i wouldn't get rid of my tv' just because someone like you thinks i should get a grip of yourself.

MrsK
21-Jan-09, 15:01
Paying so much?:eek:

It works out at less than 39 pence per day!

For that you get acres of radio, news 24/7, parliament, gaelic, kids channels, 4 main channels and one of the most widely respected producers of documentaries and drama in the whole world!

Bin your licence, bin your telly and just get hours of tripe over the internet instead. Won't cost you a penny..apart from your ISP fees...how much are those a day/month/year? A damn sight more than the telly licence in many cases, I'll bet.

I'll take quality over quantity every time, thankyou.

Tugmistress
21-Jan-09, 15:12
it's alright saying get rid of the telly if you don't want to pay the tv licence, but it ain't that simple! when i was first alone i got rid of the telly as it is rarely on, told the licencing people, and the amount of threatening letters i received still was unreal! i must have written and phoned them a dozen times to say come help yourself to take a look there is no telly here and they said they would ammend their records each time, i then gave up and just binned any more letters from them unopened.
i do have a telly again now as sometimes it's nice to slob out on the settee and relax with just some background noise, so am back paying the licence, but it really wasn't worth the hassle of not having one :roll:

Bad Manners
21-Jan-09, 15:20
you want to go grow up you donkey plus what is it to do with you if we don't want to pay for a tv liscence and even though i do pay mine 'if i didn't i wouldn't get rid of my tv' just because someone like you thinks i should get a grip of yourself.

there is no need for name calling everone is entitled to their point of view
they expresed theirs whitou name calling you opinion is just as valid but you could post it without the abusive name calling

ShelleyCowie
21-Jan-09, 15:33
39p per day mountws up to £130 somethin pound tho.

I pay the tv licence just as i should. Dont really watch programs, just use the tv's to play computer games. Flicking through hundreds of channels and sometimes the best thing i find is a cooking channel..the only reason i stop is because i see chocolate! But then again sometimes i see all my favourite programs on at the same time! :confused Roll on Sky+

devil's sidekick
21-Jan-09, 16:13
there is no need for name calling everone is entitled to their point of view
they expresed theirs whitou name calling you opinion is just as valid but you could post it without the abusive name calling

well they shouldn't tell people grow up at the end of the day there is no need for that either so if they can give then it won't hurt them to take, yes they could have gave there opinion but some people might take offence to what they said, if you don't like it get off the thread i never said anything to you did i ??

JNMWick
21-Jan-09, 16:14
I agree with Bad Manners devil's sidekick. There's no need for name calling.
Numpty!!

ShelleyCowie
21-Jan-09, 16:15
Numpty!!

No need for name calling and u call him a "numpty"

devil's sidekick
21-Jan-09, 16:20
Numpty!!

who are you calling a numpty you little pipsqeek.

JNMWick
21-Jan-09, 16:58
Pipsqeek eh??

I see you've changed your avatar. Explains a few things..........

devil's sidekick
21-Jan-09, 17:03
yes and verify yourself what does it explain like ?? that i support rangers well that looks obvious!!!!!

devil's sidekick
21-Jan-09, 17:04
you took your time to say that considering you were viewing the thread an awful lot

JNMWick
21-Jan-09, 17:16
Was trying to change my avatar to the Celtic badge. Couldn't work out how to do it though.:confused
Anyway i'm off now, hijacked this post for too long.
HAIL HAIL!!;)

devil's sidekick
21-Jan-09, 17:19
ye what happened to your team at the weekend lol

JNMWick
21-Jan-09, 17:22
lol Who knows, it was shocking!
If we can stay at the top to the next Old Firm in Feb we should still take the title. Fingers crossed!!
4IAR!;)

ShelleyCowie
21-Jan-09, 17:25
Enough!!!!!!

This thread was started for the people who chose to sign it!

Yes discussion is obviously allowed because this is a discussion board! Now if you want to keep going then start a thread "come here to be called names and get slagged off"

Not in this thread please or i will close it!

devil's sidekick
21-Jan-09, 17:28
Oh Shelley i'm so sorry never meant to annoy you, you know i wouldn't do that on purpose Sorry. lol

ShelleyCowie
21-Jan-09, 17:29
Oh Shelley i'm so sorry never meant to annoy you, you know i wouldn't do that on purpose Sorry. lol

Lol u know i cana stay mad at u!!! :lol: I have no choice! LOL!

Ma brother from another mother! ;)

AfternoonDelight
21-Jan-09, 17:32
Jeezo - this is like car crash tv - don't want to see it but I can't turn it off... :roll:

Get to the playground, kids!!

As for the topic - yes I think the licence fee is steep but no I don't want to see adverts on the BBC so I will keep paying the money. I pay every month by direct debit and it makes it seem quite insignificant really.

Oh - and I would gladly pay DOUBLE that to keep Sir Attenborough on our screens forever!!!

AD out...

devil's sidekick
21-Jan-09, 17:33
i was just enjoying a bit of banter i'm sure JMNwick was enjoying it too lol ;)

AfternoonDelight
21-Jan-09, 17:36
Like I said - car crash tv...... ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jan-09, 17:39
TV is a social killer. I never watch it, so got rid of it and stopped paying for a license last year. Good riddance to it.

ShelleyCowie
21-Jan-09, 18:45
Good for u Pepsi Challenge! I wish our house could go without!! :roll: No such luck tho...I like battlestar galactica too much! :lol:

Moonboots
21-Jan-09, 20:57
I will get my two cents in ....lol

Tv Licence.... I wish i didnt pay it cause im lucky if i watch BBC1 for 1 program once a week!!!!

Would hardly say that the amount of money I pay to watch a program a week is worth it.
And the series only runs for 12 episodes at a time and usually onece a year lol...

That makes 12 x 1hr = 12 hrs!!!!!

12 Bloody hours for £130 odd quid... Jesus ive got MUG written on my head..lol

Defo signing the petition!!!!!

Anyone got a big pen... make sure they can see it :)

Moonboots
21-Jan-09, 21:00
Also forgot...c'mon e Gers!!!

MrsK
21-Jan-09, 21:29
It's rather odd when you think about it.

We buy a telly and then complain because of the ongoing costs 'and I never watch it' - maybe get rid of the telly?

That's like buying a car, using it once a month and complaining about how much road tax you pay.....wierd.

If you don't use it or like it, get rid of it.

ShelleyCowie
21-Jan-09, 22:06
As i said before, my tv is pretty much used for playing the computer on!!

So also my computer screen is also a TV (Which i use for my Xbox aswell) then does that count as a tv which i would have to pay a licence for.

Does anybody here complain about paying rent...i do recall seeing and posting on a thread like that. U are not exactly going to tell them "if u dont like it dont live in a house" Are you?!

Why dont we need a licence for everything else!

I was also thinking (grab me a paracetomol its happening alot!) if because of this digital switch over thing, everybody pretty much needs to get sky or freeview (correct me if im wrong) then for the people with sky, why do they need to pay a monthly subscription and tv license?

devil's sidekick
21-Jan-09, 22:15
Well said Shelley totally agree :lol:

Moonboots
21-Jan-09, 22:56
why do they need to pay a monthly subscription and tv license?

The reason being is Sky is a subscription service while Freeview is not....
(Freeview) Couldnt actually call it that because you need a tv licence to view it legally.

Thats like saying ive got Sky so i dont need to pay my licence but Freeview I can pick up without informing anyone and watch it for free without a licence.

Im not defending the way the system works but that is the way it works.

Ive signed it and dare say i will make sure my friends do too...lol

Bad Manners
21-Jan-09, 23:05
the licence is for having a tv reciever wheter you watch sky ,freeview or just have itin the corner with a cover over it and a vase of flowers. it is a goverment tax which goes in part to fund the bbc. whether you watch it or not.

devil's sidekick
21-Jan-09, 23:06
we didn't ask your 2 tupins worth moonboots (paul) lol, only joking lad

Invisible
21-Jan-09, 23:07
Done and dusted

Vistravi
22-Jan-09, 00:30

Even the cheapest SKY package is £180.00 a Year going up to well over £500.00 a Year. So for Value for Money the TV Licence is well worth it.

I use a tv for my wii console and my partner has one for his xbox 360. we appartently need to have a license jus to use a tv for our game consoles otherwise wouldn't be paying for the tv liscense i the first place.

cullpacket
22-Jan-09, 00:47
I wont be signing petition because I watch and listen to the BBC for nothing with no licence. So the longer you guys pay it the happier I will be and my Imac will be paid for in five years. Thanks all you BBC lovers!

Kodiak
22-Jan-09, 01:30
I use a tv for my wii console and my partner has one for his xbox 360. we appartently need to have a license jus to use a tv for our game consoles otherwise wouldn't be paying for the tv liscense i the first place.

If you have a TV that can receive a Television signal no matter what type, it does matter whether you watch the programmes or not you are still required by Law to buy a Television Licence. Same goes if you have No Television but you have a Video Recorder, you would also require a Television Licence as a Video Recorder can receive a Television Signal.

It makes no difference what you use your TV for, be it a games consol or computer as long as it is possible to receive a Television Signal you are required by Law to buy a Television Licence. You risk £1000.00 Fine if you do not get a Licence.

floyed
22-Jan-09, 09:54
This thread is better than watchin tv lol!

I would like to not have to pay the tv licence, but would still like the choice of tv channels. So if we could not pay the licence and still get the same channels i would be happy.

I don't watch telly that often as working and child ect, but don't mind adverts in between channels either gives me time to make a cuppa or do some housework:lol:

cullpacket
22-Jan-09, 10:20
I watch and listen to programs on BBC i player which does not require a licence unless the programs are live also you can use your freeview to listen to radio stations ;)

ShelleyCowie
22-Jan-09, 12:27
And i quote

"So you call this your free country...tell me why it costs so much to live!!"

Asthmatics pay to breath
We pay to drink water
We pay to have shelter
We pay to have light
We pay to eat
We pay to be warm

[disgust]

AfternoonDelight
22-Jan-09, 12:56
No-one is disputing the fact that it is expensive to live here - but if we didn't pay for all these services who do you think would work for free to get your gas out the ground or to build your house or to grow/ make your food, deliver it, sell it etc etc?

Taking money out of society and making everything free would wipe the value from everything and reduce society to anarchy...

Obviously the word "free" in that context refers to our liberties and not to our expenses.

ShelleyCowie
22-Jan-09, 13:53
No-one is disputing the fact that it is expensive to live here - but if we didn't pay for all these services who do you think would work for free to get your gas out the ground or to build your house or to grow/ make your food, deliver it, sell it etc etc?

Taking money out of society and making everything free would wipe the value from everything and reduce society to anarchy...

Obviously the word "free" in that context refers to our liberties and not to our expenses.

I dont disagree with u completely!

But food, gas, electric, petrol prices and more...seem to keep going up and up! Our wages dont seem to follow these prices. So what is the world trying to make us do?

No wonder there is so much debt in the UK now! Fair enough some people do over spend on the non essentials but some people are just trying to get by!

Christmas, Valentines Day, Easter etc etc are all ways of businesses to make as much profit as they can! Fair enough its peoples own choice to celebrate these holidays. But throughout the rest of the year some companies raise their prices so much! And for what....profit!!!! Yes they have to make a living but jeepers they are living luxuriously!!!

AfternoonDelight
22-Jan-09, 13:56
I dont disagree with u completely!

But food, gas, electric, petrol prices and more...seem to keep going up and up! Our wages dont seem to follow these prices. So what is the world trying to make us do?

No wonder there is so much debt in the UK now! Fair enough some people do over spend on the non essentials but some people are just trying to get by!

Christmas, Valentines Day, Easter etc etc are all ways of businesses to make as much profit as they can! Fair enough its peoples own choice to celebrate these holidays. But throughout the rest of the year some companies raise their prices so much! And for what....profit!!!! Yes they have to make a living but jeepers they are living luxuriously!!!

I agree that the price of somethings are way out of control - prices do rise faster than wages and that results in people having to dip into their savings or rely on credit just to live. Utility companies are the worst culprits for this... [disgust]

ShelleyCowie
22-Jan-09, 14:05
I agree that the price of somethings are way out of control - prices do rise faster than wages and that results in people having to dip into their savings or rely on credit just to live. Utility companies are the worst culprits for this... [disgust]

We have gas central heating, its kinda pricey! and it does not help that our house has very poo insulation!! Last night was in kids room and the wind just blows right thru the window frames!

And i think its kinda silly nearly all our heaters are under the windows!!

garrioch
22-Jan-09, 14:06
BBC already makes plent of advertising money called bbc comercail just try accessing the bbc website from another country.

Moonboots
22-Jan-09, 14:07
When they upgrade the heating whenever this happens. The radiators will be moved to a different location. They do not install radiators in front of windows anymore.

daviddd
22-Jan-09, 14:38
If I have no TV but watch BBC on my laptop via the BBC internet I-player, do I need a TV licence?

Moonboots
22-Jan-09, 14:51
If I have no TV but watch BBC on my laptop via the BBC internet I-player, do I need a TV licence?

As far as i am aware No you dont need a licence.

They will probably come up with new terms to the licence fee to include these things soon lol

Kodiak
22-Jan-09, 15:11

At Present you only need to buy a TV Licence if you watch LIVE Television on your Computer, if you are watching recorded Programmes a Licence is NOT Required, here is a Link :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5081350.stm

But on saying that it is possible in the future that a Computer Tax could be imposed :-

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article417851.ece

If this is the case then it would not matter if you watched repeats or not on your Computer.

Bazeye
22-Jan-09, 20:51

Apart from their blatently biased news reporting.

Kodiak
22-Jan-09, 21:39
Apart from their blatently biased news reporting.

That is as the man with the wooden leg said, a matter of opinion. Personally I do not agree with you on that and I think the reporting of news on the BBC is very Fair indeed.

Bazeye
22-Jan-09, 21:45
The US Presidential campaign being the latest example. Approx 70% one way and 30% the other way.

Bazeye
22-Jan-09, 21:53
Another one is the reporting on race crime. I expect most of the country have heard of Stephen Lawrence and Damilola Taylor, how many people have heard of Kriss Donald ?

ShelleyCowie
22-Jan-09, 21:56
Another one is the reporting on race crime. I expect most of the country have heard of Stephen Lawrence and Damilola Taylor, how many people have heard of Kriss Donald ?

Kriss Donald was the 15 year old who was brutally murdered because of "racism" by 3 people. The 3 were jailed for life from what i can remember.

Why do u ask?

floyed
22-Jan-09, 22:12
We have gas central heating, its kinda pricey! and it does not help that our house has very poo insulation!! Last night was in kids room and the wind just blows right thru the window frames!

And i think its kinda silly nearly all our heaters are under the windows!!

Never heard of poo insulation before:eek: lol:lol:

ShelleyCowie
22-Jan-09, 23:12
"Poo insulation" - means the type of insulation in my house! Lol! No allowed to say the swear word version of it so said poo instead!! :D

Its not actual poo flinged inbetween my walls! LOL!

Pregnancy hormones! :eek: That was near 4 months ago!!

alanabain
22-Jan-09, 23:31
"Poo insulation" - means the type of insulation in my house! Lol! No allowed to say the swear word version of it so said poo instead!! :D

Its not actual poo flinged inbetween my walls! LOL!

Pregnancy hormones! :eek: That was near 4 months ago!!

Actually shell.. i didnt realise that andrew was logged in haha, and sent it in his name

the pregnancy hormones im refering to is mine... about why i went in stitches about "poo insulation"

:Razz