PDA

View Full Version : Pampus

spiggie
06-Feb-06, 12:34
Dont have any plants growing from it, just a mass of leaves. You see some with loads of them. How do you get them to sprout..?

unicorn
06-Feb-06, 13:56
this may help you
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/gt/pampas/pampas.htm

Saveman
06-Feb-06, 14:14
Dont have any plants growing from it, just a mass of leaves. You see some with loads of them. How do you get them to sprout..?

How long have you had it?
We had ours for about a year before any seed heads came up on it.

spiggie
06-Feb-06, 23:16
had it for a good few years now

Saveman
07-Feb-06, 14:43
Hmm...then your problem has gone beyond the limited realms of my knowledge :(
Anyone else got any ideas?

janette
07-Feb-06, 14:53
Have you ever fed it?

2little2late
07-Feb-06, 22:19
It's possible that it needs to be thinned out. To do this you will need to dig it up as a clump. To separate it put two garden forks back to back in the centre of the clump, push them into the clump and then pull the fork handles away from each other. If the clump is rather big you could do this two or three times to make the plant smaller. Re plant.

Mother Bear
19-Feb-06, 23:02
Hi,
I was given this advice recently on a gardening forum. About this time of year, cut the whole of the plant back to about 12"...not just take out the dead bits, cut it all down. Some one even suggested burning it down! I thought that was a bit toooo drastic, but I have cut one right down as suggested. Must admit it doesn't look too pretty at the moment, but have been assured it will grow back with vigour! I shall wait to see! I read the above link with interest, about feeding the plant 4 times a year. I think I will try this too, to see if it produces beautiful plumes. Good luck what ever you do!

janette
19-Feb-06, 23:22
Take care cutting the green parts back as the fronds could be forming and you could easily cut them off, hence to fluffy bits in the summer. As an aside the sparrows love eating the seeds from the fronds and its great to watch them swinging on the long stalks. I have tried burning out the inside, this is ok, but again, care is needed as it can get a hold and the hole plant will be damaged.