PDA

View Full Version : God Bless America.

Kevin Milkins
20-Jan-09, 19:37
I just watched Barack Obama make American history by becoming the first black president and I thought he made a right pigs ear of it.

He speaks well and sounds pretty sincere, but I thought both him and the guy swearing him in made a right arse of what should have been a very well rehearsed ceremony.

Then we move on to Aretha Franklin, never mind god bless America, I think god help America would be more appropiate.:eek:

I am sure there is no need to find any links as it's all that will be on telly for a while.:confused

The thing that gets my goat the most is the BBC thought I might have been more interested in American politics than watching the weakest link.:mad:

teenybash
20-Jan-09, 19:50
I too watched the inauguration of President Obama and felt for him as a hint of nerves caused a stumble as he was being sworn in.
I was deeply impressed by his speech and touched by his words of hope and avoidance of using the 'I' term, replacing it, rightly, by Ours, We and Us.
I welcome President Obama as a ray of hope, humanity and courage for the future and the world.

Kodiak
20-Jan-09, 19:52
Oh dear shame you missed such a world shattering event as the weakest link and you had to watch the swearing in of the First Ever Coloured President of the USA.

Personally I thought he just proved he is just Human as it was quite clear that it was just a touch of nerves that made him slip a little.

For all those who did not see it here is a link to the bit you are moaning on about :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7840564.stm

If you did not wish to witness this event you could have changed over to BBC2 and watched "Celebrity Cash in the Attic" you might have found that more interesting.

percy toboggan
20-Jan-09, 19:54
A master orator, no reference to notes or an autocue so far as I could see.
He talks a good game. He's half white and half black, let's hope he's a whole lot better than the last bloke.
I was inspired by the crowd - how many would brave the cold here for so long for a politician.... of any hue?

If he fails we're all in the soup.

Margaret M.
20-Jan-09, 20:01
I too watched the inauguration of President Obama and felt for him as a hint of nerves caused a stumble as he was being sworn in.

The Supreme Court Justice who swore Obama in was the one affected by nerves. He changed the wording from what it should have been which, needless to say, threw Obama off a little. Obama had opposed that Judge's appointment to the Supreme Court so maybe he was getting even. :D

Not only can President Obama deliver a powerful speech, he also writes them himself.

Angela
20-Jan-09, 20:06
I was impressed by Obama and by the sense of a rare historic occasion. It's probably the first time since Kennedy was assassinated (I was 12 I think) that I've seen America as a possible beacon of hope for us all.

I thought it might be the man who was swearing in Obama who got the wording of the oath wrong at the start -it certainly didn't come out the way I was expecting to hear it. :confused

I can't make up my mind if it's more likely that the pressing needs of the current economic situation will put paid to all that Obama hopes to achieve, or if it's a case of Cometh the hour, cometh the man.... I just hope it will be the latter.

Kevin, I'd have have thought you'd be glad to be spared The Weakest Link with all these anti-Welsh jibes! ;)

butterfly
20-Jan-09, 20:18
thanks kodiak for the link,i had missed it.i think it was the other guy who mucked it up not the president

Gizmo
20-Jan-09, 20:21
His speech was very engaging, lets just hope that he can put his money where his mouth is and live up to his promises, hopefully in the coming years the world will become a calmer place now that Georgey Warmonger is gone.

Kevin Milkins
20-Jan-09, 20:22
Hooray,
Some fresh debate.;)

golach
20-Jan-09, 20:38
At my age, I have seen many politicians come and go, only 3 IMO have affected me, Winston Churchill for holding us together in the '39 to '45 war, Clement Attlee, for giving us the National Health Service, and J F Kennedy for standing up to the Russians at the Cuban Crisis.
I too watched President Obama and his inauguration, and I was impressed by his speech, best of luck to the man, he has brought a lot of hope to many Americans, hope all goes well for the man.

brokencross
20-Jan-09, 22:58
Did you wonder why they needed so many beefy 4 x 4's with darkened windows in the cavalcade AND what was in them?? A little bit of security maybe?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-2qeMd8a8F8

balto
20-Jan-09, 23:00
I just watched Barack Obama make American history by becoming the first black president and I thought he made a right pigs ear of it.

He speaks well and sounds pretty sincere, but I thought both him and the guy swearing him in made a right arse of what should have been a very well rehearsed ceremony.

Then we move on to Aretha Franklin, never mind god bless America, I think god help America would be more appropiate.:eek:

I am sure there is no need to find any links as it's all that will be on telly for a while.:confused

The thing that gets my goat the most is the BBC thought I might have been more interested in American politics than watching the weakest link.:mad:
aye watched it to, and he kinda forgot his words, lets hope he doesnt make a habbit of it. but on a serious note, what a change for the world this is, i reckon he will make an excellant job of his new role. as your title says god bless america.

Moira
20-Jan-09, 23:30
aye watched it to, and he kinda forgot his words.....

I listened to it on the radio and got the impression that the new President did very well considering that he was mis-directed.

At the end of day he is only one man and, whilst I wish him all the best, we cannot possibly expect him to right all the wrongs which we all have brought upon ourselves in recent years.

balto
20-Jan-09, 23:32
I listened to it on the radio and got the impression that the new President did very well considering that he was mis-directed.

At the end of day he is only one man and, whilst I wish him all the best, we cannot possibly expect him to right all the wrongs which we all have brought upon ourselves in recent years.
wasnt critisising him atall, my god it isnt everyday someone becomes the president of the USA, wish him all the luck in the world.

TBH
20-Jan-09, 23:33
Not only can President Obama deliver a powerful speech, he also writes them himself.Albeit with a lot of help from this guy:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/20/barack-obama-inauguration-us-speech

JAWS
20-Jan-09, 23:40
I have a horrible feeling that he is Blair Mark 2.

golach
20-Jan-09, 23:45
I have a horrible feeling that he is Blair Mark 2.
Jaws go an wash your mouth out, with neat whisky!!!

Moira
20-Jan-09, 23:47
aye watched it to, and he kinda forgot his words......

wasnt critisising him atall, my god it isnt everyday someone becomes the president of the USA, wish him all the luck in the world.

Ok balto. Your support is noted - my point was that it wasn't Obama who messed up. :)

sweetpea
20-Jan-09, 23:49
tbh I got a little bit bored with it all today, all over the net and telly, the only radio station playing music was radio 2.
Don't get me wrong I think it's a wonderful thing but I just want to see what he's going to do, not listen to some religious, moral, marriage vow ceremony.

TBH
20-Jan-09, 23:56
tbh I got a little bit bored with it all today, all over the net and telly, the only radio station playing music was radio 2.
Don't get me wrong I think it's a wonderful thing but I just want to see what he's going to do, not listen to some religious, moral, marriage vow ceremony.What was wonderful about it?

sweetpea
20-Jan-09, 23:59
What was wonderful about it?

Nothing really, but everyone seems to be caught up in it. Actions speak louder than words. Let the first black leader do his worstest!:)

TBH
21-Jan-09, 00:03
Nothing really, but everyone seems to be caught up in it. Actions speak louder than words. Let the first black leader do his worstest!:)It's a landmark I suppose but then, so would it be if it was a woman, chinese, japanese, dirty knees, blah.
All that is important or all that should be important is that he is the right person for the job, his colour is unimportant.

Kevin Milkins
21-Jan-09, 00:05
What was wonderful about it?

That the supreme court justice tried to throw a spanner in the works and Obama had the charm and presense of mind to come through it smiling.:D

sweetpea
21-Jan-09, 00:06
It's a landmark I suppose but then, so would it be if it was a woman, chinese, japanese, dirty knees, blah.
All that is important or all that should be important is that he is the right person for the job, his colour is unimportant.

We've had a woman. I'm not worried what he looks lek.:)

TBH
21-Jan-09, 00:17
We've had a woman. I'm not worried what he looks lek.:)Aye we did and wrongly or rightly according to some, she was the right person for the job at that moment in time.
I'm not worried what he looks like either, all that concerns me is that he is in charge of the most powerful country on earth and I hope he is up to the job.
I hope so for all our sakes.

TBH
21-Jan-09, 00:18
That the supreme court justice tried to throw a spanner in the works and Obama had the charm and presense of mind to come through it smiling.:DThat was the light relief.[lol]

sweetpea
21-Jan-09, 00:24
Aye we did and wrongly or rightly according to some, she was the right person for the job at that moment in time.
I'm not worried what he looks like either, all that concerns me is that he is in charge of the most powerful country on earth and I hope he is up to the job.
I hope so for all our sakes.

I wouldn't worry so much, pretty bad job so far from most world leaders. First impressions, he feels a bit more real but that could all be an act.
The only positive comment I can give about Obama right now is that he's LUSH:lol:

TBH
21-Jan-09, 00:29
I wouldn't worry so much, pretty bad job so far from most world leaders. First impressions, he feels a bit more real but that could all be an act.
The only positive comment I can give about Obama right now is that he's LUSH:lol:It's definitely an act, "He's not the Messiah, He's a very naughty boy". I had an aunty that was a lush, sherry was her vice.[lol]

wifie
21-Jan-09, 00:31
The only positive comment I can give about Obama right now is that he's LUSH:lol:

Oh Sweetpea - your last sentence says so much about the hopes and aspirations of western civilisation today and the east is fast catchin up probably!

sweetpea
21-Jan-09, 00:31
It's definitely an act, "He's not the Messiah, He's a very naughty boy". I had an aunty that was a lush, sherry was her vice.[lol]

Sadly no Messiah like you say. He got a good turn out tho for his ceremony thing.

sweetpea
21-Jan-09, 00:36
Oh Sweetpea - your last sentence says so much about the hopes and aspirations of western civilisation today and the east is fast catchin up probably!

Yeah well hope is one thing doing is another. Convince me. At least he's eye candy.;) Well done the east then.

wifie
21-Jan-09, 00:38
Yeah well hope is one thing doing is another. Convince me. At least he's eye candy.;) Well done the east then.

What can I say - but give a deep sigh of despair?

Tilter
21-Jan-09, 00:44
I enjoyed the Obama Show on telly. Then I watched the programme on BBC2 about his past life. He seems very committed to trying to make things better for everyone. There was no one else running I'd have wanted for president. Best of luck to him.

sweetpea
21-Jan-09, 00:48
I didn't have time to watch it, too busy working but got the highlights on every station after work.
I'll stand by my word - if he makes a difference then well done but I'll wait and see.

trix
21-Jan-09, 01:16
they say that 'iss guy is 'e most powerful man in 'e world but i dina believe 'at....

i reckon that he is choost the new 'face' for 'e public an that there are actually 7 people (probly men) who do all 'e thinkin (conspirin) behind 'e scenes.

barack obama is merely a puppet!!

choost voicin ma opinion.....;)

trix
21-Jan-09, 01:40
can i choost add that i believe nothin at face value from 'e government.....until its been officially denied [lol]

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jan-09, 03:54
Oh dear shame you missed such a world shattering event as the weakest link and you had to watch the swearing in of the First Ever Coloured President of the USA.

Personally I thought he just proved he is just Human as it was quite clear that it was just a touch of nerves that made him slip a little.

For all those who did not see it here is a link to the bit you are moaning on about :-

If you did not wish to witness this event you could have changed over to BBC2 and watched "Celebrity Cash in the Attic" you might have found that more interesting.

Calling a black man "coloured" is racist, Kodiak. :(

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jan-09, 03:58
It's a landmark I suppose but then, so would it be if it was a woman, chinese, japanese, dirty knees, blah.

You, too. You're both disgusting.

Aaldtimer
21-Jan-09, 04:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBH http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=487082#post487082)

Jeeze Pepsi, what side of the bed did you get out of this morning?

Let's face it yer man can only be an improvement on the the Dubya Dips**t that preceded him!
It's a win - win situ as far as I can see!;)

hotrod4
21-Jan-09, 06:48
I'm gonna miss Geordie Bush he was kinda cool in a redneck/marry your cousin kinda way[lol]. He always came across as literate as the guy on Simpsons with all the kids!!!!.
Barrack certainly has alot to rise up to as the worlds media have hailed him as nothing short of the "new messiah".
He certainly talks a good game i just hope he isnt writing cheques his butt cant cash.

brokencross
21-Jan-09, 08:32

I don't know Kodiak but I am sure they were not being racist in any shape or form. They probably used the term which is common useage merely as a description of skin tone, nothing more and nothing less; not sinister in any way!

From this and other threads you seem to have an insight to matters of this nature and seem to champion the politically correct useage of words in relation to race and search out racism where none was intended.

Could you please enlighten us to the correct generic terminology for the various "hues and colours" of the politically correct world.

brandy
21-Jan-09, 08:38
i dont know how people over here percieve it, i know my husband and i see things in a dif way. but seeing what a bad president can do, and what living thru it is like, well it puts a whole dif. spin on things for the people. you always here about the land of the free, but in all honesty the people of britian are more free than the people of the USA. when i first came over here, i was shocked and amazed that people publicly badmouthed the gov. that the papers were full of anti-govermetal opinions. thats treason where im from. even now, my family and i when we talk on the phone, and start debating politics, when it gets heated about the bushes.. you would here a quick.. ok lets stop here before we say anything more! because they do listen into the phone lines for "the patriot act"
sad, isnt it that a country based on freedom of rights, has been one of the most opressed western country around!
in my hunble opinion, barrack obama is a wonderful ray of light, at the end of a very long, very dark tunnel. the man litterly has the weight of the world on his shoulders. He has just become the 44th leader of the free world, lets just pray he can return the freedom we have lost under the war mongering bushes.
talking to my family back home, well it breaks my heart.
they have so much hope and faith that there is a brighter future.
my brothers and uncles and cousins and father.. all of them are over the moon at the prospect of new jobs. the thought of being able to work on roads, and buildings is a dream come true. my god rother tommy was telling me that it would solve so many problems if he could get one of the new jobs promised.
he wouldnt have to work all hours to just put food on the table, and feed his children.
in toms household, their is tommy, tammy, tammys mum, their children elizabeth, elias, and emma. and three of my brothers. kelly, jospeh and josh.
it takes all of them, bar brenda (tammys mum) and the kids working full time, and taking everything they make (No extras for anything) just to pay the bills and keep food on the table.
its not easy at the moment, and it wont be for a long time.
but Obama, brings hope that Ahemmm.. Tomorrow will be a better day.. *G*

brokencross
21-Jan-09, 08:43
sad, isnt it that a country based on freedom of rights, has been one of the most opressed western country around!

Probably all part of the terrorists plan.

jay
21-Jan-09, 10:23
I wish Obama well and hope he can make the changes the people need and want, however i fear that peoples hopes and expectations might just be to much for one man! I do also wonder if the same man would be president today if he was white - he has a lot to live up to and probably more pressure than any other president so good luck to him.

By the way Brandy he has become the 44th president of America not of the free world - there are one or two other countries involved there!

cuddlepop
21-Jan-09, 10:25
I made a point of watchong it lastnight for the simple reason of remembering where I was in this time in history and I think he's very charasmatic.

This man is expected to achieve an unbelievable "turnaround" in his countrys affairs both at home and abroad.As to the rest of us where just hopeing to see an end to the phrase
"if America sneezes we all catch a cold"

We've all got double pneumonia.:lol:

Let America and the rest of the world give him the time and patience to achieve this.

Remember he's not god.;)

highlander
21-Jan-09, 12:15
I do hope Obama lives up to the expections that people are expecting him to achieve. I feel he is like a breath of fresh air and one who can be believed in what he is trying to do. There does seem to be a feeling of hysteria taking over the country but at least its of a good feeling. I only wish we had someone like him in power in this country that we could look up to and have faith in what he is trying to do for the people. Time will tell is the man is up to the job, i wish him all luck as what ever he decides not only affects america but the rest of the world.

kitty kat
21-Jan-09, 13:03

well he is the first of any colour is what i think kodiak is trying to say

could someone please point out the banned words and phrases because this is getting petty

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jan-09, 15:27
Nothing petty about racism, kitty kat.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jan-09, 15:31
I don't know Kodiak but I am sure they were not being racist in any shape or form. They probably used the term which is common useage merely as a description of skin tone, nothing more and nothing less; not sinister in any way!

From this and other threads you seem to have an insight to matters of this nature and seem to champion the politically correct useage of words in relation to race and search out racism where none was intended.

Could you please enlighten us to the correct generic terminology for the various "hues and colours" of the politically correct world.

I wouldn't try and defend it, brokencross; I'll let Kodiak state his own reason, should he bother to.

I could care less about what the various "hues and colours of the politically correct world" are, but I certainly don't use words like "coloured" or refer to Asian people in such a casually racist manner. My close friends are Asian and Black - so I won't let people refer to them in such racist ways.

honey
21-Jan-09, 15:38
If Obama did make the mistake, then i agree, it just shows he is human. So many people (including me) were feeling choked at this, he must have been himself.

on another point, he doesnt appear to make any mistakes during his speeches, when he is talking about things he is passionate about, this to me is more imprortant.

and how many of us have stuttered through vows??

honey
21-Jan-09, 15:40

strange, i saw a lot of elderly Black people referring to themselves as coloured on the TV.....

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jan-09, 15:46
strange, i saw a lot of elderly Black people referring to themselves as coloured on the TV.....

That makes it OK, then?

honey
21-Jan-09, 15:48
That makes it OK, then?

i didnt say ot was right or wrong, im just saying i saw black people refer to themselves as coloured, and it did NOT appear to be racist.

i think we get to wound up by words these days, it should be the sentiment behind them that determines if they are right or wrong IMHO.

golach
21-Jan-09, 15:54
You are the only poster on this thread Pepsi that seems to have a colour issue, methinks thou doth protest too much, maybe you are the one with the racist problems:roll:

rich
21-Jan-09, 16:04
So who wrote the speech? A 27 year old in Starbucks!

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/posted/archive/2009/01/20/obama-inauguration-words-of-history-cowritten-by-27-year-old-in-starbucks.aspx

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jan-09, 17:40
You are the only poster on this thread Pepsi that seems to have a colour issue, methinks thou doth protest too much, maybe you are the one with the racist problems:roll:

No; no problem. Just can't abide casual racism: I find it offensive.

Gizmo
21-Jan-09, 17:54
Good god man...you're obsessive to the point of ridiculous about this, we get the point, you're starting to sound like a broken record now.

So calling a black man coloured is racist is it?, what complete and utter garbage.

trix
21-Jan-09, 18:12
i t hink what PC's point is that 'coloured' is a term that we dina use anymore.

black people are not referred to as coloured...they are black.

brokencross
21-Jan-09, 18:15
I wouldn't try and defend it, brokencross; I'll let Kodiak state his own reason, should he bother to.

I could care less about what the various "hues and colours of the politically correct world" are, but I certainly don't use words like "coloured" or refer to Asian people in such a casually racist manner. My close friends are Asian and Black - so I won't let people refer to them in such racist ways.

I wasn't trying to defend Kodiak, I am sure they are big enuff and ugly enuff to defend themselves IF any defence was in fact needed.

If my memory serves me right, in fairly recent times wasn't "coloured" the preferred word. Also how does "non-white" fit in on the offensive words scale.

Metalattakk
21-Jan-09, 18:16

Quite right trix. I'm all for calling a spade a spade, or am I just being unfair?

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jan-09, 18:23
So calling a black man coloured is racist is it?

Yes, that's right. It is.

percy toboggan
21-Jan-09, 18:24

O'Bama is not 'black' He has a white mother.
My own view is if he'd been a black man he might have struggled to get elected at this point in time. The man is mixed race...end of story.

But a new one begins. One full of hope. He is statesmanlike and has been blessed with a voice imbued with gravitas. He is a skilful speaker and has a biblical tone about his words, which he...or others choose well.

I have the full text of the speech in my morning 'Mail' I've been delivering it at home for my wife's benefit - she fell asleep. It simply does not sound the same in a Mancunian accent - not even a cultured one (no oxymoron)

Also, he wore a lovely coat...I've always wante done like that. One day I'll treat meself.

I like his family...they are a photogenic...the kid sticking up her thumb to 'Pop' in that sweet way must have won over millions of doubters. Again if they had looked more like Africans from the deepest part of that continent he might not be the President today...let's not get carried away.

I wish them all well the O'Bamas - forgive my little Irish jape - for I desperately want him to succeed.

Race , in a huge nation like America...a nation which welcomed those huddled masses is irrelevant but appearance will never be so. We should not kid ourselves that the tide of prejudice has been swept away here.

Gizmo
21-Jan-09, 18:48

Maybe in your overly politically correct mind where you over analyse every single thing, but not in mine, i'm baffled by your train of thought.

Gizmo
21-Jan-09, 18:53

I'm pretty sure i heard the term 'coloured' in reference to Barack Obama on one of the news channels covering the inauguration.

percy toboggan
21-Jan-09, 19:51

'People of colour' is the new black. It's official I've heard the term
used by 'people of colour' so it must be reet.

I like to think I'm a person of colour...
a myriad of witty repartee...
though you might disagree

Blimey! I'm a poet en'all.

Pepsi Challenge you've droned on for a while and I think your views are as corrosive as a can of coke. Mildly so...like a can of coke. They don't have the clout to be taken too seriously. To describe a black man as 'coloured' is 'racist?'

What text book did you get that one from then? When they themselves seem happy to refer to themselves as 'people of colour' you're going against the grain of language, and common sense. When strides are being made uber-zealots like yourself are a part of the problem, not the solution.

Bazeye
21-Jan-09, 20:14
I agree with Percy. His fathers black and his mothers white. I think hes technically a mulatto.

trix
21-Jan-09, 20:16
I'm pretty sure i heard the term 'coloured' in reference to Barack Obama on one of the news channels covering the inauguration.

i wid be surprised if ye did giz, as it is deemed 'offensive' these days....

its very difficult til keep up wi whats politically correct these days but ye hev til keep up til date....for 'e sake o' 'e children ;)

golach
21-Jan-09, 20:25
With you on this point Gizmo, the number of times yesterday I heard the term "black/coloured African American" uttered by the same black/coloured African Americans when they were talking about their new President.
Pepsi is doing what he does best using his big wooden spoon, sadly Pepsi it does not work for me anyway.[disgust]

Ojibwa
21-Jan-09, 20:43
well he is the first of any colour is what i think kodiak is trying to say

could someone please point out the banned words and phrases because this is getting petty

Isn't white a colour ?:confused

Gizmo
21-Jan-09, 20:51
Isn't white a colour ?:confused

It depends on whether you ask a scientist or a child :D

George Brims
21-Jan-09, 21:29
That depends on how old you are and where you come from. My friend Curtis, an 84 year old African-American from Los Angeles, will refer to himself as "coloured". Younger A-M people take it as a slight.
George Lopez, Mexican-American comedian from LA, used to do a skit about his younger sister, very politically conscious, and never knowing what to call her. "Last week you were Latina, now you're Chicana. Leave a note on the fridge when it changes again."

George Brims
21-Jan-09, 21:33
Here's an interesting article about Obama and race, referencing his upbringing in Hawaii.
http://www.salon.com/opinion/kamiya/2009/01/20/obama_hawaii/

trix
21-Jan-09, 21:48

these days, aye.

no so much long ago, which explains why 'e aulder generation call themsels 'coloured'

ye get some aulder (black) people who still refer til themsels 'niggers' :eek:

at ma work when ma manies or wifies say an offensive word we choost quietly explain that its not right to use these terms anymore an tell them what 'e correct term is. more than 'at ye cana do...

however, (us) bein responsible adults, its essential that ye try til keep up with what is correct an what is not....even if ye do think its a load o' cr*p.

its an ever changin society guys - get wi 'e program :Razz

wifie
21-Jan-09, 22:24
It depends on whether you ask a scientist or a child :D

Or an artist!

Gizmo
21-Jan-09, 22:30
however, (us) bein responsible adults, its essential that ye try til keep up with what is correct an what is not....even if ye do think its a load o' crap.

And just who is it that tells us what is supposed to be correct and what is not?, a load of jumped up twits who have no concept of reality.

Kevin Milkins
21-Jan-09, 22:48
And just who is it that tells us what is supposed to be correct and what is not?, a load of jumped up twits who have no concept of reality.

Thats a very good point there Gizmo.

Who was it that decided black is the new coloured?

Do the UN have a commitee meeting somwhere and thrash out what is Ok or not Ok this spring?

scorrie
21-Jan-09, 22:59
I have been led to believe that the term "Black" is the current "correct" term to use. Different Americans seem to prefer one term over another. Black people even use the term "Niggaz" to describe other Black people, often in a derogatory way. There is also the term "Wigger", which is used to describe White people who act and dress like Black people. If you want to see what a Wigger looks like, check out this photo of the ex-President:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/wigger-58422.jpg

trix
22-Jan-09, 02:06
ye may think they are.....

a load of jumped up twits who have no concept of reality.

.....but that is irrelevant ma friend....!

remember, ye are a minority, lek masel....we da hev til believe or agree...but we do hev til follow - til a certain degree.

anyway, ma point is...in 'iss case what ye think, disna metter, not one iota.

ye must obey...

if it is deemed offensive by 'e 'powers that be' then ye choost cana say'ed.

as i said before, it is difficult but ye must obey because ye hev til set a guid example til 'e bairns...

its as simple as 'at...

an in ma opinion, i da think its any hardship...

Aaldtimer
22-Jan-09, 04:15
..."remember, ye are a minority, lek masel....we da hev til believe or agree...but we do hev til follow - til a certain degree."...

So we must just follow like sheep?

First of all, I have opposed racism all my adult life, which is quite some considerable time, and have seen this change over the years.

My problem is with the word "black", because in the vast majority of cases it is most inappropriate, the varying skin tones are brown.

The nearest I ever saw to "black" was a man from the Gold Coast, in Aberdeen in the '70s, and believe it or not his name was Hamilton!
Really nice fellow, was a trainee over with the firm I worked with.
Took him to the Aberdeen folk club and introduced him to our treasurer, another Hamilton, co-incidentally a couple from Canada were there that night by the name of Hamilton, from Hamilton in Canada!
a right gaitherin' o' the clan!:)

brandy
22-Jan-09, 05:51
ive often wondered why the word "Black" is used, when ive never really met many truly black people. wouldnt mocha or chocolate be better? *G* the new president is a chocolate man.. and boy would i like to ... mind outta the gutter brandy ... *laughs*
actually, a childrens song comes to mind... wonder if it is now considered racist?
jesus loves the little children.. all the children of the world... red and yellow black and white, they are precious in his sight....
its all just gone overboard now!
i really couldnt care less if some one was purple, as long as they were decent folk...
i would enquire after their health though!

tommytool
22-Jan-09, 06:03

i do beleive Gizmo society has a big part in choosing what is deemed to be acceptable/unacceptable in tearms of referring to someone by there race. not just our (one horse town) society but a big evolving world wide society.. i cant imagin a load of twits setting out to change the corse of humanity.. i dont even think politicians would or could..
i think it's more of a natural social evolvolutionary process brought on mainly by globalisation and possably the demise of the church. after all gods words is law so therfor had to be correct..:roll:

JAWS
22-Jan-09, 09:23
What's a Honky anybody?

To answer Pepsi, "Coloured" is only offensive if somebody wishes it interpret it in that manner just as calling a blonde haired woman "Blondie" could be taken as offensive by claiming it was meant to indicate "Dumb Blonde".

Personally I am firmly of the opinion that the whole media and a large majority of people are acting in a quite outrageously racist manner by constantly and persistently pointing out that he is not a member of the Aryan race.

Has there ever been a President with different coloured eyes? Who was the first President with brown eyes? When will a President with green eyes be elected for the first time or has there been one already?
Well, I consider those matters to be of just as great historical events.

Only people who have racist attitudes should be concerned about the colour of his skin.
All that matters really is if he is capable of carrying his job as President or not. It is only when people see the person elected as President as a person without any additional tags about the persons sex or ethnicity that true equality will have been arrived at.

Once we arrive at that situation it will, happily, upset a lot of people who will not have the satisfaction of disputing the fact of one label for somebody who is “different” is more acceptable or less acceptable than another label.

And on one point, the term “Coloured” was, and possibly still is (perhaps somebody can clarify) the description given to a group of people of mixed race in South Africa known as the Cape Coloureds.

trix
22-Jan-09, 10:20
..."remember, ye are a minority, lek masel....we da hev til believe or agree...but we do hev til follow - til a certain degree."...

So we must just follow like sheep?

yip....in 'iss case!

honey
22-Jan-09, 11:31

exactly Gizmo, i dont give a hoot if these jumped up twits decide to be offended by something i say, when in reality, they dont have a clue about any of it, and its not aimed at them anyways....

Ill take my cue from the folks i know, whatever their colour, and just hope the respect i show folk (that deserve it of course) will be recognised NOT by the words i use, but by my sincerity and actions.

AfternoonDelight
22-Jan-09, 12:03
So we've seen a president of African descent - we might well see a woman president in my lifetime but one thing I can catigorically state I will never see is an aetheist president ...

It seems to matter more that you believe in a non sensical story written two thousand years ago than what is actually right and wrong. :roll:

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Jan-09, 13:23
Thinking it's OK to label black people as "coloured" is sad and redolent of the 1950s - like rockabilly, the MacMillan government and, ahem, Hearts being the leading team in Scotland. It's also no different to the casual sexism and homophobia that infests within these very pages.

honey
22-Jan-09, 13:43
Thinking it's OK to label black people as "coloured" is sad and redolent of the 1950s - like rockabilly, the MacMillan government and, ahem, Hearts being the leading team in Scotland. It's also no different to the casual sexism and homophobia that infests within these very pages.

its not a "Label" its a description of a person skin tone. I dont think its fair for you to insinuate that people who use this term are racist, casualy or otherwise, the only thing that we can be accused of is having a difference of opinion on what is/isnt classed as racism. And who is to say that YOU are right and WE are wrong??

Racism, to me it is any language deliberately used to humiliate/hurt/offend another person, saying something like "well done to Obama for being the 1st coloured person to become president" does NOT fall into that category.

brandy
22-Jan-09, 13:47
just out of curiosity .. is there any non-white orgers that would like to give thier opinion on the color=racism idea?

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Jan-09, 13:48
"When I'm born I'm Black, when I grow up I'm Black, when I'm in the cold I'm Black, when I'm in the sun I'm Black, when I'm sick I'm Black, when I die I'm Black. And you... When you're born you're Pink, when you grow up you're White, when you're in the cold you're Blue, when you're in the sun Red, when you're sick you're Green, when you die you're Purple. And you dare to call ME a coloured..." - Malcolm X

AfternoonDelight
22-Jan-09, 13:51
Just versatile..... goes with my shoes.

scorrie
22-Jan-09, 14:49
Personally I am firmly of the opinion that the whole media and a large majority of people are acting in a quite outrageously racist manner by constantly and persistently pointing out that he is not a member of the Aryan race.

Has there ever been a President with different coloured eyes? Who was the first President with brown eyes? When will a President with green eyes be elected for the first time or has there been one already?
Well, I consider those matters to be of just as great historical events.

You would need to be very naive to think that the media attention is merely down to the fact that Obama is Black. It is due to the history of the treatment of Black people in America. In the days when Black people had to stand up to give White people their seat on the bus and would be refused service in bars, it would have been totally inconceivable to imagine a Black President. One need only look at how much this event has meant to some Black people to realise that we have just witnessed a momentous event in US history. All the talk of the colour of a Presidents eyes being of the same importance is clearly ludicrous talk. What next? A trawl through the records to find the wondrously important day in World History when a man with only one testicle was sworn in as President of the USA?

"Reagan has only got one ball, the other is in Carnegie Hall"

Aaldtimer
22-Jan-09, 14:57
yip....in 'iss case!

Things have got that baaad huh? :~(

honey
22-Jan-09, 14:58
"When I'm born I'm Black, when I grow up I'm Black, when I'm in the cold I'm Black, when I'm in the sun I'm Black, when I'm sick I'm Black, when I die I'm Black. And you... When you're born you're Pink, when you grow up you're White, when you're in the cold you're Blue, when you're in the sun Red, when you're sick you're Green, when you die you're Purple. And you dare to call ME a coloured..." - Malcolm X

Malcom X died in 1965... i think the one thing we have safely established on this thread is that what is deemed acceptable changes. Maybe if Malcom X was here to say this speach today, it might go a bit differently...

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Jan-09, 15:06
[QUOTE=honey;487986]its not a "Label" its a description of a person skin tone. I dont think its fair for you to insinuate that people who use this term are racist, casualy or otherwise,QUOTE]

OK, then, we'll just call them ignorant, out-of-date and, probably, over 40.

honey
22-Jan-09, 15:17

No, he was a very intelligent man who was bang on the money with his views. But society changes.. most of the time thankfull.

we have come a long way since Rosa Parks refused to get of that bus, and most of us will never know what it felt like to live in that society.

if you wish to think i am a racist who thinks one of the most important figures in history was ignorant and out of date, you go ahead, i think it says more about your need to see the bad in everyone and everything than it does about me.

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Jan-09, 15:24
No, he was a very intelligent man who was bang on the money with his views. But society changes.. most of the time thankfull.

we have come a long way since Rosa Parks refused to get of that bus, and most of us will never know what it felt like to live in that society.

if you wish to think i am a racist who thinks one of the most important figures in history was ignorant and out of date, you go ahead, i think it says more about your need to see the bad in everyone and everything than it does about me.

Erm... I wasn't talking about Malcolm X.

AfternoonDelight
22-Jan-09, 15:27

Er...you were..........

AfternoonDelight
22-Jan-09, 15:28

Were you talking about orgers here?

golach
22-Jan-09, 15:36

You'll be 40 soon enough Pepsi (maybe), but you are already ignorant and out of date, so 2 out of three is not bad, but not perfect in any way [lol]

teenybash
22-Jan-09, 15:53
constantly and persistently pointing out that he is not a member of the Aryan race.

This might be digressing from the point that is being discussed but, feel it is worth a mention.
It has long been held that the Aryan race originated in Iran and it was through the rise of Natzi Germany that the origins were distorted to suit their unholy aims.

honey
22-Jan-09, 15:54
Erm... I wasn't talking about Malcolm X.

apologies, i misread that.. see what happens when you go on the org at work!!

but no i would not call any of "them" that. i wouldnt say "them" at all.

id say we are all the same, no matter what the colour of our skin is, but if a black person was offended by me using any of the "words" discussed here, i would respect their opinion and not use it, but it wouldnt change the fact that I dont think it is.

BTW, the folk i refered to previously as speaking about themselves as coloured on TV.. they seemed to be nearer 60 than 40.

brokencross
22-Jan-09, 16:40
[QUOTE=honey;487986]its not a "Label" its a description of a person skin tone. I dont think its fair for you to insinuate that people who use this term are racist, casualy or otherwise,QUOTE]

Well as already been said, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. I'll let others guess which one I reckon I am NOT.

Gizmo
22-Jan-09, 16:58
It's also no different to the casual sexism and homophobia that infests within these very pages.

You can include the whole of the real world in that statement, i can only assume that you don't watch any form of comedy, if you did i doubt you would be able to sleep at night.

Margaret M.
22-Jan-09, 17:13
its not a "Label" its a description of a person skin tone. I dont think its fair for you to insinuate that people who use this term are racist, casualy or otherwise, the only thing that we can be accused of is having a difference of opinion on what is/isnt classed as racism. And who is to say that YOU are right and WE are wrong??

I would say the race to which the label applies. Coloured has not been acceptable for many years, particularly by the younger generations of blacks. If a black overhears someone calling them coloured, they will probably feel disrespected whether that was the intent or not.

honey
22-Jan-09, 17:19
I would say the race to which the label applies.

That is the point Margaret, the discussion in here is all about OUR opinions, and as far as i am aware, no black person has joined in this debate.

I explained i had heard black people on the news refering to themselves as black.

if the terms are not the same from generation to generation, regardless of the colour of the person using them.. it is obviously extremenly hard to always know what is "right"

just because i used the word "black" in my post, i will not jump to the conclusion that someone is racist just because they used the word coloured.

to be quite honest, for all i know, the person using that term may even be coloured/black/african-american themselves.

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Jan-09, 17:26
You can include the whole of the real world in that statement, i can only assume that you don't watch any form of comedy, if you did i doubt you would be able to sleep at night.

I don't watch any comedy actually; most of what I see is very low-grade. Although I still love watching the Marx Brothers. I sleep fine, too, thanks.

Gizmo
22-Jan-09, 17:35
I don't watch any comedy actually

Really?...i couldn't tell ;)

Margaret M.
22-Jan-09, 17:37
Not only can President Obama deliver a powerful speech, he also writes them himself.

Albeit with a lot of help from this guy (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/20/barack-obama-inauguration-us-speech)
When Obama does use Favreau, he tells him what he wants to say and often supplies chunks of the speech already prepared. Obama has written some of his most powerful speeches himself. The only thing preventing him from writing all of his own speeches is the shortage of hours in the day. Those who surround Obama, including Favreau, credit Obama as being the best speechwriter.

I think it’s been around 40 years since a President has written his own speeches. So we now have a President who is not only capable of writing a powerful speech, he understands the meaning of the words and can deliver them eloquently. After eight years of Dubya’s mumblings and bumblings, the only ones not delighted by Obama’s command of the English language are the late night comedians – there was never a shortage of material with Bush at the helm.

“There's a lot of us getting ready to retire. We're called baby boomers. As a matter of fact, my retirement age is 2,008.”

Margaret M.
22-Jan-09, 17:48
you always here about the land of the free, but in all honesty the people of britian are more free than the people of the USA. when i first came over here, i was shocked and amazed that people publicly badmouthed the gov. that the papers were full of anti-govermetal opinions. thats treason where im from.

I totally disagree. Anti-government sentiments are far from being kept under wraps here. Criticism is loud, harsh and done very openly – in newspapers, on TV and radio -- by anyone and everyone. I see no difference between the two countries in that respect.

Sporran
22-Jan-09, 18:50
I'm just so delighted to see the back of Bush, and that we now have a President who is the opposite of him in so many ways. A truly eloquent, intelligent man, whom we can look up to and respect, and be proud to call President. He has a formidable task ahead, but I have every confidence in him. He is indeed a breath of fresh air, and I'm so thankful that he was elected! Long live President Obama! :)

trix
22-Jan-09, 19:17
exactly Gizmo, i dont give a hoot if these jumped up twits decide to be offended by something i say, when in reality, they dont have a clue about any of it, and its not aimed at them anyways....

poor post fie ye honey...im surprised by yer attitude :eek:

ye cana say that these 'jumped up twits' dina hev a clue aboot any o'ed....

do ye know 'at for a fact lek...? :confused

do ye no think that they hev actually asked people what they prefer til be called or done any research at all?

do ye honestly think that 'e 'powers that be' get tilgither an make up a lot o' nonsense til confuse ye - 'e mere minority!!

it choost shows how ignorant ye really are....try an see 'e beeger picture eh?

as for ye no gien 'at hoot...even tho...i hope ye mind yer language infront 'o yer children if ye hav any...

please da take any offence :D

choost oot o' curiosity do ye still hev 'e word 'paki' in yer vocabulary, or can ye understand why we da say 'at particular word anymore....

trix
22-Jan-09, 19:25
Pepsi is doing what he does best using his big wooden spoon, sadly Pepsi it does not work for me anyway.[disgust]

i dina think so golach...no in 'iss case anyway.....
pepsi hes already stated his reasons for bein a little sensitive to any racism that he encounters.

My close friends are Asian and Black - so I won't let people refer to them in such racist ways.

fie readin yer profile i wid o' thought that ye were a man o' 'e world.....wi a certain degree o' intelligence!

lettin yersel doon a bity ifanow - choost ma opinion ;)

Kevin Milkins
23-Jan-09, 00:16
Now that most people have any views on racism out of there system can I return to my original post please.

I was pointing out that in my opinion they made a pigs ear out of somthing that should have been a very well rehearsed ceremony.

It now seems that my observation was correct as they had to go through the swearing in again to make it legal.

Although I have no interest in politics, I wish the man well and I think from what I have seen so far he will be a big inspiration and take America foward.

No one made a comment on what they thought of Aretha Franklin, but I thought she sounded like an aged cat with piles trying to do a large poo:eek: whilst dressed up as Betty Boo,(again in my opinion)

For those that think I have my priorities wrong wanting to watch the weakest link as opposed to politics,I will choose to be more polite than you by saying "that is my choice"

TBH
23-Jan-09, 00:19

What exactly did I type that is so disgusting to you? I think just trying to find things to complain about for the sake of it.
As for the word coloured please explain why it is a part of the acronym, NAACP, if it so offensive and a casualy racist term?

trix
23-Jan-09, 00:33
i cana believe ye choost said 'at aboot aretha franklin kevin....:eek:

i never seen it so cana pass comment...an yer certainally entitled til yer opinion.....

but i am shakin ma heid at ye ifanow!! (in dispair i mite add) :lol:

slag off 'e government, spark off almighty rows aboot racism if ye want....but diny be....diny be.... slaggin off ''e queen o' soul'' quoted til be ''one o' 'e greatest singers o' all time'' - kevin!!!!

i ment til pm earlier...thanks for 'e rep pal ;)

Gizmo
23-Jan-09, 00:40

i never seen it so cana pass comment...an yer certainally entitled til yer opinion.....

slag off 'e government, spark off almighty rows aboot racism if ye want....but diny be....diny be.... slaggin off ''e queen o' soul'' quoted til be ''one o' 'e greatest singers o' all time'' - kevin!!!!

Trix...she was bloody awful, it sounded like a fat woman sitting on a bag of kittens

Kevin Milkins
23-Jan-09, 00:44

I like Aretha Franklin and soul music but there are some things you can not do with national anthems, and thats one of them.

I hope you don't give me a red one.lol

Margaret M.
Aretha's hat -- I was hoping that huge bow would turn into a propeller and lift her far away from the microphone. I have never been an Aretha fan and I thought her singing was quite painful (sorry, Trix!).

It now seems that my observation was correct as they had to go through the swearing in again to make it legal.

Doing it out of the abundance of caution is hardly the same as doing it to make it legal. It was done to deter those who delight in making mountains out of molehills:

Craig, the White House lawyer, said in a statement Wednesday evening: "We believe the oath of office was administered effectively and that the president was sworn in appropriately yesterday. Yet the oath appears in the Constitution itself. And out of the abundance of caution, because there was one word out of sequence, Chief Justice John Roberts will administer the oath a second time."
The Constitution is clear about the exact wording of the oath and as a result, some constitutional experts have said that a do-over probably wasn't necessary but also couldn't hurt.

TBH
She was so bad they are now calling her "Urethra Franklin".

Kevin Milkins
23-Jan-09, 00:49
Trix...she was bloody awful, it sounded like a fat woman sitting on a bag of kittens

Cheers Gizmo

I thought I was floating on my own with this one.:D

golach
23-Jan-09, 00:54
Cheers Gizmo

I thought I was floating on my own with this one.:D
I'm with you too Kevin, the USN Choir was good

trix
23-Jan-09, 01:04
I hope you don't give me a red one.lol

never kev ;)

I thought her singing was quite painful (sorry, Trix!)

laughin ma ass off :lol:

after all gods words is law so therfor had to be correct..:roll:

so what if 'e new president wis a pagan??

someone mentioned earlier (TBH maybe?) somethin along 'e lines o' 'he wid hev til be a christian'

'is 'iss rite aye...? would it really depend on his religion?

am assumin he swore an oath til god (The Lord)

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Jan-09, 06:55
Really?...i couldn't tell ;)

Just not your kind.

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Jan-09, 07:03
What exactly did I type that is so disgusting to you? I think just trying to find things to complain about for the sake of it.
As for the word coloured please explain why it is a part of the acronym, NAACP, if it so offensive and a casualy racist term?

There is, I suppose, a lesson for us all here. Don't expect people to like criticism. Don't let that stop you being critical but don't expect people to like it.

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Jan-09, 07:08
For those who need it inbedded into their skulls here goes: I, personally, think it's wrong, offesnive and racist to call a black person "coloured" or an asian person "paki" or anything rhyming with "chinese, japanese..." (or words to that effect).

If you don't like it, fine.

As I've said, my close friends are black and asian, and such terms are out of order and out of place. If anyone who has been posting here has such friends too, and, thinks it's OK to say so in their company, then, well, I feel sorry for both of you.

Sporran
23-Jan-09, 07:17
I have to admit I expected a much better performance from Aretha Franklin, although judging by the look of approval on President Obama's face, it did seem to win his R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

NB - Click at bottom right of both videos to watch in high definition mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RZc7ba-WTY&feature=PlayList&p=5F59DD3D81980B09&index=10

But quite frankly, Aretha, I think Beyonce could have done a better job than you, on that occasion! :confused I was wowed by Beyonce's performance of "At Last", which she sang for the President and First Lady's first dance. They were a joy to watch, and Beyonce was a joy to listen to. What a loving couple the Obamas seem to be! :)

PS - Nice dance moves, Mr President! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-pzlZPRvx8&feature=channel_page

Tristan
23-Jan-09, 08:02
Some fantastic photos (http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2009/01/21/inauguration-day-in-dc/)of the event

Kevin Milkins
23-Jan-09, 09:47
Thanks for those links Sporran, I am afraid Aretha didn't sound any better that time around.:eek:

There is some great photos on your link Tristam, they sure capture the mood of the occation, if you look at the photo of Mr Obama being sworn in, he is giving Mr Roberts a stare that says " That aint how we rehearsed it mate"

I have now watched the video clip several times and I am becoming moe convinced that Mr Obama was set up for a fall by Mr Roberts.:confused

Someone (can't remeber who") pointed out on this thread that there was bad blood between the two so it begs the question as to whether Mr Roberts did it deliberatly?

You choose

honey
23-Jan-09, 14:12
do ye no think that they hev actually asked people what they prefer til be called or done any research at all?

do ye honestly think that 'e 'powers that be' get tilgither an make up a lot o' nonsense til confuse ye - 'e mere minority!!

not to confuse me no, but i do beleive they pretty much make it up as they go along. Half the time the "powers that be" are so far removed from real life it would be laughable if it wasnt so serious, that they are the ones making the decisions we have to live our lives by.

i hope ye mind yer language infront 'o yer children if ye hav any...

i bring up my children fine thank you very much!! [evil]

Bruce_H
23-Jan-09, 14:51
Now that President Obama has taken office, it's time to see if this rookie politician has any chops or not. For most americans the fact that his father was from Africa is not that big of a deal. In spite of what you may have read, the majority of the people in this country are far more interested in what he is going to do than what color his skin is.

My prediction is that you are going to see a lot of rookie mistakes during the first year, the kind of things that any seasoned politician would know to stay out of.

Good luck to him, it's a thankless job.

Bruce H
San Diego

honey
23-Jan-09, 14:59
My prediction is that you are going to see a lot of rookie mistakes during the first year, the kind of things that any seasoned politician would know to stay out of.

I agree Bruce, but he seems like the time of man that will have the balls to put his hand up to his mistakes and try to put them right.

i hope this is the case anyways.

Margaret M.
23-Jan-09, 15:27

Bush was considered a seasoned politician and he was still making mistakes in his eighth year. If the seasoned politicians had voted as Obama did, we would not be in the biggest mistake of the last eight years, namely Iraq.

A vote for Obama was a vote against seasoned politicians and a vote for a fresh approach to how things are done in Washington.

trix
23-Jan-09, 16:14
not to confuse me no, but i do beleive they pretty much make it up as they go along.

i dina think that ye do believe 'at....!!!!

sometimes its better til say nothin an let people think yer a fool....

'they' dina make it up as they go along, 'they' go aboot doin research, surveys, market research, etc...lots an lots. its their job.

then 'they' hev til spread 'e word an put actions intil place, ensure that it all catches on...no so easy when there are people lek yersel across 'e board. why do ye hev til be convinced...choost do it!!!

all ye hev til do is keep up an apply any new 'society laws' intil yer daily life. if ye wis til open yer mind a tiny little bit then ye mite find it interestin.

its no hard til keep up wi 'e program but....i imagine its very difficult til produce 'e program to begin wi'....its certainally not produced by a lot o' 'twits' (is 'at what ye called them?)

Half the time the "powers that be" are so far removed from real life it would be laughable if it wasnt so serious, that they are the ones making the decisions we have to live our lives by.

i think ye'l find that 'e 'powers that be' are alot closer to 'real life' that ye could ever imagine.....
i dina think there is anythin laughable aboot offendin someone, whether its thro ignorance or no.....

i bring up my children fine thank you very much!! [evil]

honey....

at comment aboot yer bairns wisna directed at ye in particular...i apologise sincerely if i offended ye.

i hev no doot that ye are an excellent mother an that yer bairnys are very happy an weel looked efter - ye are tea-in-a-bowler efter all :lol:

i wis choost tryin til point oot that what we think is totally irrelevant an that its for 'e children that we hev til keep up til date....

an ever changin society is somethin that wisna really prominent when we were kids...now it is, an its important that our children realise this....if they are to do weel in 'e world an hev a chance o' success.

all ye hev til do, as a responsible adult livin in 'e 21st century, is pass doon relevant information even if ye da agree/understand. it is yer duty and an an obligation as a mother in a modern world ;)

hev a nice weekend by 'e way...

honey
23-Jan-09, 16:26
im sorry Trix, but i DO beleive the "powers at be" are pretty much useless in a lot of things.

why do ye hev til be convinced...choost do it!!!

i am not a sheep, i have my own mind, and my own morals to make me feel what i think is right and wrong.

i think you need to re-read my posts trix.. i was replying to agreeing with another person, and used their words.

i dina think there is anythin laughable aboot offendin someone, whether its thro ignorance or no.....

and i am not saying i will be racist because the powers that be have decided i shouldnt be, i am saying i will take my Q from the society and from the people this affects, NOT some do-gooder who i still beleive has little experience of what they decide upon.

we may disagree on this, but it is not fair for you to insinuate i am some sort of idiot because our opinions are polls apart.

trix
23-Jan-09, 17:06
im sorry Trix, but i DO beleive the "powers at be" are pretty much useless in a lot of things.

me too honey...til 'e extent that i am almost anti-goverment!! :eek:

ye hev no idea how passionate i feel aboot 'e whole thing....conspiricies....!!!

i am not a sheep, i have my own mind, and my own morals to make me feel what i think is right and wrong..

guid for ye....respect ma friend!!

however, in 'iss case....they really are workin for 'e people. can ye no see how upset pepsi got with certain terms bein used. he is not makin these emotions up. can ye see how easily it is til offend people?

when yer an adult ye cana get away wi' sayin, ''i didna ken 'at wid offend ye'' (especially efter readin 'iss topic regardin racism).

fair enough if ye dina know, but ye do now, an til insist on carryin on as before is very immature an unresponsible.
when someone points somethin oot til ye...dina dismiss'ed an be all defensive. choost admit that society is changin 'e whole time an its no easy til keep up.....but do yer best.

and i am not saying i will be racist because the powers that be have decided i shouldnt be, i am saying i will take my Q from the society and from the people this affects, NOT some do-gooder who i still beleive has little experience of what they decide upon..

no clear on what yer sayin here....but if 'e top guy says that yer bein racist then ye are, even if ye dina know ye are.
i cana argue ma point anymore withoot repeatin masel.......'e fact that ye think 'e 'do-gooder' that gets paid mega bucks, hes little experience in decisions bein made speaks volumes really.

we may disagree on this, but it is not fair for you to insinuate i am some sort of idiot because our opinions are polls apart.

i dina think ye are an idiot....i choost think that ye (along wi' alot o' ither fowlk) are hevin dificulty seein 'e beeger picture...think ootside 'e box honey ;)

honey
23-Jan-09, 17:12
trix.. if you read my posts again, I personally used the word "black" NOT "coloured"
what i said is that if i see/hear black people refering to themselves as coloured, i will not then see other person who use this term as racist....
i will make my mind up on the tone a person used rather than the words.

im sorry if pepsi is upset, but we cant all agree and expect others to take our opinions on boards.

maybe we ALL have to open our minds to other folks opinions, and we might not be so easily upset, but, what is as the end of the day.. only words..

trix
23-Jan-09, 17:23
hev a crackin' weekend honey ;)

honey
23-Jan-09, 17:27
and you...

Kenneth
23-Jan-09, 17:44
I think Barack is an excellent public speaker, i didnt see any notes or an autocue when he made his speech. nerves must have got the better of him when he was being sworn in. I also loved the black minister's wee speech towards the end

"If you're yella...be mella....let the red man...get ahead man!"

quality! i do love a bit of HUMOUR

percy toboggan
23-Jan-09, 18:20
Apparently he only decided to run for President because he couldn't 'be Bruce Springsteen'

Top marks for his musical preferences - apart from that Franklin woman...she must have made a mint by now and should have shuffled off the stage years ago.

I'd also rather be the Boss than the President.
Apparently his new album is great...'working on a dream' it's called.

O'Bama couldn't really incorporate that into his inaugural address could he? It's been done. "I'm working on a dream brothers and sisters...oh not to forget the trans-gendered...

...Let's hope Obama gets to work on summat soon ...hits the ground running and all those other cliches. Sees little of his missus for a month or two (have you thought for one moment how this will affect his family?) and sets the USA on the road to recovery...which will be years in the making.

I watched an old dvd of Bruce's last weekend - with the 'E Street Band' in Barcelona...it was some gig.

trix
23-Jan-09, 19:04
I watched an old dvd of Bruce's last weekend - with the 'E Street Band' in Barcelona...it was some gig.

am prity sure 'at wis 'e only concert o' his that wis recorded an broadcast fie start til fenesh....

brilliant..makes ye proud til be.....eh.....american? :lol:

TBH
23-Jan-09, 21:53
There is, I suppose, a lesson for us all here. Don't expect people to like criticism. Don't let that stop you being critical but don't expect people to like it.You can be as critical as you like, it does not faze me in the slightest.
I was and still am curious as to which part of my post caused you to be disgusted and why you think the term "coloured" is offensive when it is a word used in the acronym, Naacp, which as you know, is an organisation that will celebrate it's centenary this year, so, If the word "coloured" been acceptable to that organisation for 100 years then why then is it not acceptable to you? I doubt I will get a reasoned response.
So some of your close friends are black and asian, Big deal. You are coming across to me personaly like you think you are doing your "friends" a favour by bestowing that "friendship" on them and looking for a pat on the back to boot.

dook
23-Jan-09, 21:58
You can be as critical as you like, it does not faze me in the slightest.
I was and still am curious as to which part of my post caused you to be disgusted and why you think the term "coloured" is offensive when it is a word used in the acronym, Naacp, which as you know, is an organisation that will celebrate it's centenary this year, so, If the word "coloured" been acceptable to that organisation for 100 years then why then is it not acceptable to you? I doubt I will get a reasoned response.
So some of your close friends are black and asian, Big deal. You are coming across to me personaly like you think you are doing your "friends" a favour by bestowing that "friendship" on them and looking for a pat on the back to boot.

Can't say pat!! Tis racialist

TBH
23-Jan-09, 22:06
Can't say pat!! Tis racialistMy apologies, I meant clap, oops, maybe that is discriminatory to someone with an std.

gleeber
23-Jan-09, 22:08
Its fascinating when something happens in the world that sends ripples out to the far reaches of the globe. President Obamas election is a rare occasion in world history that reminds us of how close to coloured only entrances we are.
Well done Pepsi for reminding us how deep those prejudices still lurk.
As for President Obama. The best i can say about him is he is an eloquent politician. Time will tell if eloquence is worth anything other than brownie points.

dook
23-Jan-09, 22:10
Time will tell if eloquence is worth anything other than brownie points.

And I'm certain you can't say that...............

Tristan
23-Jan-09, 22:15
http://www.popsci.com/content/inauguration-day
Another interesting photo.

TBH
23-Jan-09, 22:36
Its fascinating when something happens in the world that sends ripples out to the far reaches of the globe. President Obamas election is a rare occasion in world history that reminds us of how close to coloured only entrances we are.
Well done Pepsi for reminding us how deep those prejudices still lurk.
As for President Obama. The best i can say about him is he is an eloquent politician. Time will tell if eloquence is worth anything other than brownie points.The point about Obama's election is how far we have come from the days of coloured, black only entrances, whatever term takes your fancy and that is why his election is a landmark event in world history.

dook
23-Jan-09, 22:41
Who's Obama? And why keep on about his election?

Bruce_H
23-Jan-09, 22:49
Bush was considered a seasoned politician and he was still making mistakes in his eighth year. If the seasoned politicians had voted as Obama did, we would not be in the biggest mistake of the last eight years, namely Iraq.

A vote for Obama was a vote against seasoned politicians and a vote for a fresh approach to how things are done in Washington.

I would suggest that Bush made many decisions that people did not agree with, and that he made many of them intentionally. This would probably mean there were not mistakes.

On the other hand I am guessing President Obama will have his lack of experience impact what he thinks area good moves, but will instead turn into needless blunders. He is already having some problems in this area, as the American press is starting to report. I hope he does not get bogged down in that kind of useless side show.

I would say the biggest wrong move (and he meant to do it) of the Bush presidency would be the giant, bloated, free money swindle that they refer to as the TARP or the bail-out. This will do more to damage the world than the actions in Iraq in when reviewed 25 years from now. Sadly it looks as if President Obama is very eager to repeat this ill-advised action.

Bruce H
San Diego

Salad Fingers
23-Jan-09, 22:54
The presidents are just puppets for the real people who make the decisions behind the scenes. Do you think that actor guy Ronnie Raygun made world changing decisions? I think not. And Bush he was more a muppet than a puppet. Obama will do the same as the men that went before him and spout forth what he is told to.

I for one don't care what America do. I just wish that their country didn't have such an effect on the world financially and culturally.

TBH
23-Jan-09, 23:18
The presidents are just puppets for the real people who make the decisions behind the scenes. Do you think that actor guy Ronnie Raygun made world changing decisions? I think not. And Bush he was more a muppet than a puppet. Obama will do the same as the men that went before him and spout forth what he is told to.

I for one don't care what America do. I just wish that their country didn't have such an effect on the world financially and culturally.Hello Mister Icke, nice to chat to you one on one.

Salad Fingers
23-Jan-09, 23:21
Hello Mister Icke, nice to chat to you one on one.

Do you have Tina Turners ex in the room with you?

TBH
23-Jan-09, 23:30
Do you have Tina Turners ex in the room with you?No, just me an Tina. She keeps telling me I am simply the best.

Salad Fingers
23-Jan-09, 23:35
No, just me an Tina. She keeps telling me I am simply the best.

obviously rehab didn't work

dook
23-Jan-09, 23:38
obviously rehab didn't work

He's never been the same since Moby Dick. Aaaaaaaaaaar!

TBH
23-Jan-09, 23:40
obviously rehab didn't workShe's a stubborn girl, old Ann Mae, they asked her did rehab work but she said, "No, No, No.

JAWS
24-Jan-09, 01:21
Rosa Parks was, contrary to the popular myth, the poor little innocent black woman who succumbed to a sudden decision to fight the system. She was, in fact, a dedicated activist and secretary of the local section of the National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People.
The incident was staged and well prepared for with large demonstrations, along with previously prepared placards, on the streets within an hour or so.

Yes the system was abhorrent and needed to be abolished but the portrayal of Parks as the poor little innocent old lady overcome by a sudden rage by the iniquity of the system and made an instant decision to make a stand is pure fiction.

I’m still waiting for somebody to tell me what a “Honkey” is.

dook
24-Jan-09, 01:23

Someone from a Harry Callaghan film

Salad Fingers
24-Jan-09, 01:23
Rosa Parks was, contrary to the popular myth, the poor little innocent black woman who succumbed to a sudden decision to fight the system. She was, in fact, a dedicated activist and secretary of the local section of the National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People.
The incident was staged and well prepared for with large demonstrations, along with previously prepared placards, on the streets within an hour or so.

Yes the system was abhorrent and needed to be abolished but the portrayal of Parks as the poor little innocent old lady overcome by a sudden rage by the iniquity of the system and made an instant decision to make a stand is pure fiction.

It's a spanish donkey

JAWS
24-Jan-09, 02:09
"Reagan has only got one ball, the other is in Carnegie Hall"Actually, the was Hitler but never mind!

OK, then, we'll just call them ignorant, out-of-date and, probably, over 40.Typical racist stereotyping. But some racism is more equal than others.

"When I'm born I'm Black, when I grow up I'm Black, when I'm in the cold I'm Black, when I'm in the sun I'm Black, when I'm sick I'm Black, when I die I'm Black. And you... When you're born you're Pink, when you grow up you're White, when you're in the cold you're Blue, when you're in the sun Red, when you're sick you're Green, when you die you're Purple. And you dare to call ME a coloured..." - Malcolm XWas that statement made before or after his conversion from Christianity to Islam whilst in prison where he came under the influence of one Elijah Mohammed, founder of the Nation of Islam whose doctrine at one time “has included claims for a separate nation state for black Americans, reasoning that history shows they "cannot get along" with white neighbours; intermarriage between races is prohibited.” Malcolm X was also a member of the militant group the Black Panthers who were of the opinion that Martin Luther King was nothing more than an Uncle Tom because of his insistence on non-violent protest.
I hardly think he is a very good example of being anti-racist.

I am puzzled by the fact that with some posters being so concerned about what constitutes what is or is not a "racist" name or comment that somebody would be able to tell me what a "Honkey" is or perhaps it is something they do not wish to confront.

tommytool
24-Jan-09, 04:54
they say that 'iss guy is 'e most powerful man in 'e world but i dina believe 'at....

i reckon that he is choost the new 'face' for 'e public an that there are actually 7 people (probly men) who do all 'e thinkin (conspirin) behind 'e scenes.

barack obama is merely a puppet!!

choost voicin ma opinion.....;)

i agree with you trix. i dont believe for a second that this 1 man has controle over armed forces or the treasury. i dont think he can make decisions of his own choice. "a face" i think your bang on kid. big brother just got a new face. a NEW face that we can believe, a face we can have faith in a face we can trust... could the speach have been staged or "corriographied", kinnda like when the russian guy got sworn in over ther in russia. ?? :eek:

gleeber
24-Jan-09, 10:28
I am puzzled by the fact that with some posters being so concerned about what constitutes what is or is not a "racist" name or comment that somebody would be able to tell me what a "Honkey" is or perhaps it is something they do not wish to confront.

You know well enough that its a derogatory term used by black people to describe white people and you like to use it in defense of an ignorance unique to most white people posting on this thread.
What you dont seem to know, or refuse to acknowledge is the history of black/white relationship. Would you have had more respect for Rosa Parks had she been a poor old black lady who knew her place when she went onto a bus and suddenly one day, refused to conform?
Would you have had more respect for Malcolm X had he been an ordinary boot boy on the corner of the street who suddenly realised he was just as good as you? I suspect not. Your an archytypical hard nosed white man who cant see past the end of your long pink nose when racist issues are discussed. Theres plenty of you on here.
Because of the history of black/white relationship I would consider the white man has more bridges to build and if sometimes some of those black men have the affront to call you a honky, then, remember the history and consider the future.

crayola
24-Jan-09, 15:26
Lol gleeber, you're 100% right. I'm lovin' it. :lol:

Put that spirtle away JAWS, you'll get porridge all over your apron.

All power to Obama. He's his own man alright.

butterfly
24-Jan-09, 16:36
You know well enough that its a derogatory term used by black people to describe white people and you like to use it in defense of an ignorance unique to most white people posting on this thread.
What you dont seem to know, or refuse to acknowledge is the history of black/white relationship. Would you have had more respect for Rosa Parks had she been a poor old black lady who knew her place when she went onto a bus and suddenly one day, refused to conform?
Would you have had more respect for Malcolm X had he been an ordinary boot boy on the corner of the street who suddenly realised he was just as good as you? I suspect not. Your an archytypical hard nosed white man who cant see past the end of your long pink nose when racist issues are discussed. Theres plenty of you on here.
Because of the history of black/white relationship I would consider the white man has more bridges to build and if sometimes some of those black men have the affront to call you a honky, then, remember the history and consider the future.
well said gleeber![lol]

JAWS
24-Jan-09, 17:38
No, I was simply pointing out that the problem is not all one way, neither is it purely a problem between white people and other races.

How many of you have heard the police called Pigs, have thought little about it, and have never realised it is a purely racist remark created during the 1960s.

Perhaps some of the people of different races that I have known well, and have even been friends with, were also not members of the "I'm intent on seeing offence everywhere" group.
They were more down to earth than that and could tell the difference between banter and insults and were great people to be with.
If the banter strayed a little too far, in either direction, nobody cried, it was just met with "Oi! Watch it!", usually accompanied by an insult. An apology was genuinely offered and warmly accepted and everybody got on with things.
Nobody was allowed to be Po Faced about it or they got teased even more by t5heir own group, white or black.

Perhaps I should have spent more time with people of higher social status in order to have been taught how to be ever so correctly PC.

It’s nice to know I am a “an archetypical hard nosed white man who cant see past the end of your long pink nose when racist issues are discussed” because it just proves how blinkered some people’s vision is when it comes to such matters."

I am willing to see that there are problems created by some people on all sides. I am also willing to say that and am willing to discuss the problem in an open manner rather than just by sweeping it under the carpet.

If people in general would stop posturing and learned to discuss matters of racial disharmony in a civilised manner with a little give and take on both sides the world would be a far better place.

To quote a comment somebody made elsewhere recently, “I believe that this is a watershed moment for us all to pause and consider where we go next in this most difficult of debates - our approach to race and prejudice and how we begin to act like the country we feel. We need nothing less than a grand debate that leaves behind some of the old shibboleths and starts us on a new journey.” I wonder how many people are aware who made that particular comment in the last couple of weeks?

The amazing thing is that twice, at least, in this thread specifically racist remarks have been made and not one person has objected to them. So much for those who complain bitterly about racist remarks, even those which are made either accidentally or unwittingly.

I find that particularly enlightening about some people’s lack of open mindedness on such matters.
In fact I am highly amuse that they do exactly the very thing that they are complaining most bitterly about, even though it may have been done quite unintentionally.

scorrie
24-Jan-09, 18:07
Actually, the was Hitler but never mind!

Hitler's missing sphere was actually in the ALBERT Hall. Goering had two, but they were small, Himmler had something similar, but poor old Goebbels had no baws at all.

gleeber
24-Jan-09, 18:56
When policemen are forced to use side entarances or Jocks and Taffys have to give their seats up to Paddys or scousers need an army to protect their children on their way to school, then I may listen to your feeble attempt at defining racism. Until then I apoligise for saying you have a long pink nose. It's shorter than i imagined and probably got a red blob on the end. :eek:

JAWS
24-Jan-09, 19:50
Hitler's missing sphere was actually in the ALBERT Hall. Goering had two, but they were small, Himmler had something similar, but poor old Goebbels had no baws at all.Scorrie, you are correct. I just assumed the American's had a local version.

JAWS
24-Jan-09, 20:52
When policemen are forced to use side entarances or Jocks and Taffys have to give their seats up to Paddys or scousers need an army to protect their children on their way to school, then I may listen to your feeble attempt at defining racism. Until then I apoligise for saying you have a long pink nose. It's shorter than i imagined and probably got a red blob on the end. :eek: I thought you would not know the origins of the term, but never mind.
Oh, and, strangely enough I don't recall any of those thing happening in Britain, either during the 1960s or before for that matter. I do however remember signs on some boarding houses and places for rent which were advertised and had notices proclaiming "No Blacks" but that was fifty years ago. I certainly do not recall seeing any since then I am glad to say.

And the term Pigs was invented during the period of the Civil Rights Marches. Those who were not quite as civil as the followers of Martin Luther King and who believed in more violent methods created the term because the police in America were almost all white and that is what the term refers to. Hence the cry that was used from time to time of, "Roast the Pork". Oh, and Pork also has racist overtones on a completely different subject also.

As I said, racism is not as one sided as some people would like to pretend.

The only reason my nose is pink is because I was not allowed to continue orking on making it red and swollen, so don't fret over it's colour or it’s length because it doesn’t bother me, that is the way the surgeon and I chose for it. Besides, I’m behind it so I can’t see it.

If you can find where I have ever said that the treatment of Afro-Caribbeans in the Southern States prior to the changes brought about by the Civil Rights Movement I would be delighted to know.
But that is an old tactic when anybody has a slightly different view to the ultra anti-racists. Point out some completely obnoxious and unacceptable attitude from the past and then imply that the person with the different opinion, however small, supports that behaviour. The hope is that others are left with the impression that the person is an avid racist who believes that slavery and racial segregation are acceptable in an attempt to discredit them as bigoted and extremist to persuade people ignore any comments they make.

My objection lie with those people who insist on being offended and outraged on behalf of other people who do not feel they themselves have been offended as if they have no right to feel that way.
“I have decided you will feel offended and you have no choice in the matter.” My view and no other. How condescending, it’s almost like treating them as children.

What has interested me is that a thread about the inauguration of a President of the United States and the extent of the Media Coverage, which has not a single thing to do with race, has been turned into a thread on racism. Unless, that is, somebody wishes to suggest that the only reason behind the amount of coverage was that Obama is not white.
If that were the case I must have been watching the wrong inaugurations in the past because there seemed to be just as much coverage.

Personally, I am more interested in how effective Obama is as President and to hell with the colour of his eyes.

Welcomefamily
24-Jan-09, 21:07
I think its a great day for America, and yes because he is coloured he will build bridges with many nations, but he has also reinforced America as a land of opportunity for all and his appointment has promoted the principles of democracy. I hope his appointment will lead to a safer world for every one.

JAWS
24-Jan-09, 21:17
Behave, even I can't disagree with that.

crayola
24-Jan-09, 21:29
I thought you would not know the origins of the term, but never mind.
Oh, and, strangely enough I don't recall any of those thing happening in Britain, either during the 1960s or before for that matter. I do however remember signs on some boarding houses and places for rent which were advertised and had notices proclaiming "No Blacks" but that was fifty years ago. I certainly do not recall seeing any since then I am glad to say.

And the term Pigs was invented during the period of the Civil Rights Marches. Those who were not quite as civil as the followers of Martin Luther King and who believed in more violent methods created the term because the police in America were almost all white and that is what the term refers to. Hence the cry that was used from time to time of, "Roast the Pork". Oh, and Pork also has racist overtones on a completely different subject also.

As I said, racism is not as one sided as some people would like to pretend.

The only reason my nose is pink is because I was not allowed to continue orking on making it red and swollen, so don't fret over it's colour or it’s length because it doesn’t bother me, that is the way the surgeon and I chose for it. Besides, I’m behind it so I can’t see it.

If you can find where I have ever said that the treatment of Afro-Caribbeans in the Southern States prior to the changes brought about by the Civil Rights Movement I would be delighted to know.
But that is an old tactic when anybody has a slightly different view to the ultra anti-racists. Point out some completely obnoxious and unacceptable attitude from the past and then imply that the person with the different opinion, however small, supports that behaviour. The hope is that others are left with the impression that the person is an avid racist who believes that slavery and racial segregation are acceptable in an attempt to discredit them as bigoted and extremist to persuade people ignore any comments they make.

My objection lie with those people who insist on being offended and outraged on behalf of other people who do not feel they themselves have been offended as if they have no right to feel that way.
“I have decided you will feel offended and you have no choice in the matter.” My view and no other. How condescending, it’s almost like treating them as children.

What has interested me is that a thread about the inauguration of a President of the United States and the extent of the Media Coverage, which has not a single thing to do with race, has been turned into a thread on racism. Unless, that is, somebody wishes to suggest that the only reason behind the amount of coverage was that Obama is not white.
If that were the case I must have been watching the wrong inaugurations in the past because there seemed to be just as much coverage.

Personally, I am more interested in how effective Obama is as President and to hell with the colour of his eyes.Oh JAWS, you haven't changed in the last year. Your posts still create more straw men than Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee could dream of. And you go off on almost as many tangents as a circle can supply.

Why not state your own opinions for a change instead of trying to put words in other people's mouths? Let me help you.

You could start sentences with 'I think...' or 'In my opinion...' That makes your posts personal. You should try it.

Trying to tease out the true beliefs of others is a skillful occupation. I'm not sure you have those skills. Do you want me to teach them to you? ;)