PDA

View Full Version : Hope your slates are secure!

Tugmistress
06-Feb-06, 00:58
Looks like it going to be a little breezy tuesday night into wednesday (and bloomin freezing wind from the north)
possibly 50mph + gusts from what i am seeing at the moment.
Time to get those loose slates sorted now (says she looking at her own roof :roll:)

Saveman
06-Feb-06, 12:01
Hopefullly they're ok, they've been tested out a few times before....:)

Tugmistress
06-Feb-06, 12:08
nice one savey :)
unfortunately i have one that has slid about a foot, so guess who is going to get wet today :roll::roll: (now all i gotta do is find some roof ladders lol)

Saveman
06-Feb-06, 12:23
Oh dear.....hope you get that sorted quickly, easily and safely...I would imagine climbing onto a roof in Scrabster on a breezy day isn't much fun...

BRIE
06-Feb-06, 15:39
Im still waiting for the roofer to sort my tiles from the last big storm!!

Tugmistress
06-Feb-06, 16:50
i just got hold of a ladder so i can get onto my roof this afternoon ... not looking forward to this, if it all goes quiet from me you know i fell off lol :lol: :roll:

unicorn
06-Feb-06, 16:51
Stay safe!!! send the other half up lol :)

Tugmistress
06-Feb-06, 18:04
ok so i chickened out :roll:
slates are a little too slidy for my liking, got a friend coming to do it tomorrow instead :D

cuddlepop
06-Feb-06, 18:15
Is the wind swinging round from the north west .We very wet and windy on Skye just now,:roll:
Glad you saw sense Tugmistress.much safer to deligate.....Dont want you taking skydiving lessons:lol:

Tugmistress
06-Feb-06, 18:35
Hiya Cuddlepop,
yes i thought that was the more sensible option too ;)
if you understand isobars etc, the charts i use are here (http://www.net-weather.co.uk/index.cgi?action=charts;type=gfsh500;sess=), looking through the current run i would guess the wind will swing for skye early tomorrow morning :) though i think you are safe from this one :D

Just seen an alert issued for scotland from here (http://www.net-weather.co.uk/index.cgi?action=forecast;type=alerts;reg=1;sess=; ) ;

Weather type:
Severe Gales and a short spell of wintry weather

Alert risk period:
07/02/06 18:00Z until 08/02/06 1500Z

Alert details:
A deepening depression moving from the Iceland area and near to Orkney thence into the North Sea and towards Denmark, during Tuesday night into Wednesday, will bring a short spell of northerlies for the country.
Our main concern is the wind strength for the Northern Isles and the north eastern side of Scotland.
By late evening on Tuesday, north west to northerly winds over the Northern Isles will be reaching speeds of 50-60mph with gusts up to 75mph possible. As the low moves further south east then these winds will transfer into the north east and far east of Scotland, albeit about 10mph lower in strength. Further south along the Scottish coast and some parts of the east coast of England strong to gale force winds are likely for a time early on Wednesday, but below our Alert limits.
However, these winds may combine with any high tides to possibly cause a short period with very minor flooding in a few places.
An Alert regarding snow for the far north east and hills of eastern Scotland and possibly north east England is under consideration.
All parts of the country will have a few frosty nights into the weekend, from late Wednesday.

kas
06-Feb-06, 18:36
But are we going to get any snow this week?

I think you know by now how many of us on here would like some, and are probably sick of us asking.

Hope you get the slates sorted.

cuddlepop
06-Feb-06, 18:45
Iwonder if there's a snow dance we can do .I luv the stuff lastime we were up in Caithness it snowed(just before christmas):lol: Everywhere looked so beautifiul.Other halfs got a landrover so he's itching to play in the white stuf:D

Saveman
06-Feb-06, 18:46
I've heard that a Landrover, a dingy, a rope and a snowy field can be great fun.....so I'm told....

Tugmistress
06-Feb-06, 19:07
LOL Kas,
ok i will stick my neck out and say yes we will get snow
though what i think will unfortunately happen is it will all get blown away again :cry: it will be a nice surprise for me if it stays around enough for the kids to sledge on.

we will probably get the first of it wednesday morning/lunch time through to thursday lunch/tea time. Not sure if it will be constant though, but it would be nice :) it gonna piddle down with rain first though

and no, i am never sick of people asking what is coming, a fishing forum i post on i regularly get PM's from people asking me to tell them what it is going to be like where they are planning ongoing fishing :D (so far been right too for them even though i have had to do a search on place names lol)

Alice in Blunderland
06-Feb-06, 19:41
ok so i chickened out :roll:
slates are a little too slidy for my liking, got a friend coming to do it tomorrow instead :D
Good old Dr Szin may be able to help you out doesnt he claim to be a ladder operater:roll: then you could let us all know just how good looking he is.....:eyes

garycs
07-Feb-06, 00:35
LOL Kas,
ok i will stick my neck out and say yes we will get snow
though what i think will unfortunately happen is it will all get blown away again :cry: it will be a nice surprise for me if it stays around enough for the kids to sledge on.

we will probably get the first of it wednesday morning/lunch time through to thursday lunch/tea time. Not sure if it will be constant though, but it would be nice :) it gonna piddle down with rain first though

and no, i am never sick of people asking what is coming, a fishing forum i post on i regularly get PM's from people asking me to tell them what it is going to be like where they are planning ongoing fishing :D (so far been right too for them even though i have had to do a search on place names lol)

That's a brave prediction Tuggie, but I think you may be right! The feed is originating a long way north so should be cold enough to give a decent covering even on the coast, and all other snow "indicators" are in place. Most likely to arrive in the form of heavy showers but UKMO showing the possibility of a trough bringing more sustained snow.

I suspect your station's record wind speed may be nudged up to 65ish tomorrow night, so take care!

Tugmistress
07-Feb-06, 01:23
Hiya Gary :)
Isn't it about time you got moved up here?! lol
Yeah just from what i understand of the charts (and you know more than I do!) i am 99% sure we will get some sort of snow :) though as i say the wind is liable to blow it away :(
good to see you agree with me though, thanks Gary :)

willowbankbear
07-Feb-06, 08:02
[Yeah just from what i understand of the charts (and you know more than I do!) i am 99% sure we will get some sort of snow though as i say the wind is liable to blow it away
good to see you agree with me though, thanks Gary [/quote]

Another dodgy no show snow forecast from scrabster, Tugmistress much as i enjoy reading yer posts , yer no a great weather predictor my friend:grin:
Hopefully the snow keeps off but if were getting a storm 10 from the North,theres a BIG chance of snow:cry:

Tugmistress
07-Feb-06, 10:45
[Yeah just from what i understand of the charts (and you know more than I do!) i am 99% sure we will get some sort of snow though as i say the wind is liable to blow it away
good to see you agree with me though, thanks Gary
Another dodgy no show snow forecast from scrabster, Tugmistress much as i enjoy reading yer posts , yer no a great weather predictor my friend:grin:
Hopefully the snow keeps off but if were getting a storm 10 from the North,theres a BIG chance of snow:cry:
lol, i said wednesday/thursday for the snow ;)
tonight overnight for the wind ;)

kas
07-Feb-06, 12:20
[

Totally disagree with that. Tugmistress informs us when it looks like we might get some snow, then delivers the blow a few days before that things have changed.

The snow she predicted for this week is due tomorrow or Thursday so we will see then.
She is always on the ball as far as the wind goes as well, hardly a good blow comes without her telling us first. Also it is amazing how different the weather can be in Wick compared to here in Scrabster and I find her info very good.
The weather is such a complex thing and nobody can get it right the whole time but I think you do an excellent job Tugmistress.

willowbankbear
07-Feb-06, 12:22
Aye,Yer right ye did say that, usually yer forecasts arent though are they tugmisstress :Razz .Thats my point, yeve been predicting snow for about 5 weeks haha, maybe the big fall will finally arrive this week !

garycs
07-Feb-06, 12:55
Hiya Gary :)
Isn't it about time you got moved up here?! lol
Yeah just from what i understand of the charts (and you know more than I do!) i am 99% sure we will get some sort of snow :) though as i say the wind is liable to blow it away :(
good to see you agree with me though, thanks Gary :)

We're on the way, honest! End of the English school year is the date we've set.

JAWS
07-Feb-06, 13:40
Ignore the complainers Tugmistress, at least you are of more use to us than the handwavers on TV or the "How fast can we gabble through it?" on the Radio.

DrSzin
07-Feb-06, 13:55
Good old Dr Szin may be able to help you out doesnt he claim to be a ladder operater:roll: then you could let us all know just how good looking he is.....:eyesI think tugmistress lives a bit too far from me and I don't commute. :cool:

Beat that for an obscure joke!

Tugmistress
07-Feb-06, 14:27
Thanks Kas & Jaws :)
I do try, honest (and yes i know i am very trying ;))
at least i can usually get the wind right, or is that because i am full of it :lol::lol:

Saveman
07-Feb-06, 15:33
February two years ago we had heavy snow.....not really had much since...
The wind is turning to the north WNW at the minute in Wick, heavy clouds....looks very wintry!

wickerinca
07-Feb-06, 16:08
Thanks Kas & Jaws
I do try, honest (and yes i know i am very trying )
at least i can usually get the wind right, or is that because i am full of it

Tugmistress I think that you do a grand job and I always enjoy your posts no matter what the subject:grin:
Lang may your wind blow!!;) [lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
07-Feb-06, 16:15
Aye Tugmistress was down the street this morning and its getting a bit blowy so you were more accurate than the wifie on the weather last night.So as wickerinca says lang may yir wind blow and keep up the guid work.

Saveman
07-Feb-06, 16:17
I'll second that! :D

cuddlepop
07-Feb-06, 17:09
Wish we had someone as entertaining as you here on Skye:D
All we have here is the Scottish forecast and for Skye its never right:D
As they say Tugmistress your a breath of fresh air.......(Just make sure it snows when we come up on Thursday)PLEASEEEEEE:lol:

Tugmistress
07-Feb-06, 17:18
Tugmistress I think that you do a grand job and I always enjoy your posts no matter what the subject
Lang may your wind blow!!

he he, i think my wind will blow a while yet :lol:

Cedric,
we don't have a telly but i remember the way up here always seemed to be forgotten about, shame really.

Cuddlepop,
let me look to see which Island Skye actually is ;) (ok i am REALLY bad on geography) and i'll PM you some warnings when i spot anything if you like? lol
Thursday? let me look..... ok about lunch time is showing light showers around caithness & aberdeenshire & a few on the Islands out west but nowt inbetween ;) (i hope i'm right [para])

Feeona
07-Feb-06, 17:22
I really do hope your right Tugmistress! I would love to see some snow! I hope it doesn't snow too bad though cause im travelling back home on thursday night!

wickerinca
07-Feb-06, 17:52
Well we have 9.6 degrees here at the moment and the sun is shining. There is no windchill at the moment but I can't report any better on the wind as our thingy has a duff bearing and we have to get a new one sent from Toronto! The humidity is 32%, and the barometer is at 992 and falling. There has been the occasional flurry but not lying long with the sun.

Just finished an hour on the bike so must go for a shower and then have a wander round the garden and feed the ducks, squirrels,chipmunks and all of the birds!!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
07-Feb-06, 17:57
Tugmistress,you say you haven't got a telly.As Joey fae Friends would say"What does your furniture point to?"

Tugmistress
07-Feb-06, 18:02
well i spend most of my time either glued to the computer, out on the beaches or working lol
the dogs seem to have claimed the settee's and chair :eyes

unicorn
08-Feb-06, 10:59
Well you did get it right tugmistress cos there was snow falling with the rain a minute ago!!! well done!!

BRIE
08-Feb-06, 11:07
Well done tugmistress! as predicted the snow is falling hope it stays long enough to keep the kids occupied over the long weekend!

Saveman
08-Feb-06, 11:10
Blizzard conditions! For a couple of minutes anyway...

Tugmistress
08-Feb-06, 12:26
looks like the cold air is going to arrive later this afternoon/evening and then we will get the proper snow, though unfortunately looking at the satellite images it will be showers rather than constant, but we can hope ;)
glad we seen a bit already though :D

unicorn
08-Feb-06, 12:30
we are bound to get snow I have a litter of bunnies due today to a first time mum :) Every time I mate them up they fall due on a day of rotten weather lol. At least they are inside..

JAWS
08-Feb-06, 12:34
Bad Weather? Has lambing started? :(

unicorn
08-Feb-06, 12:48
it very probably has as thats always when our winter truly starts, I'm glad I am not a poor farmer when they have to go out in that weather brrrrrr

cuddlepop
08-Feb-06, 15:57
Please let it lie,we've hardly had any snow this winter:D Yipeeeeeeee
Anyone give me an update please

kas
08-Feb-06, 16:14
We just had a heavy hail shower here in Scrabster and it has now started to SNOW, but its not lying yet as it is a bit too wet. Thats not say it wont be lying elsewhere.

JAWS
08-Feb-06, 16:18
It's not arrived on the Lybster area so far. Remember folks, this is the worst Winter since 1964!
Well, that's what the "Experts" keep telling us. :confused:

Chillie
08-Feb-06, 16:28
It is a beautiful sunny afternoon here in Wick, winds a bit chillie:roll: though

Tugmistress
08-Feb-06, 17:27
just had another quick dumping of 'graupel'[para]:p
(
GraupelSmall pellets of ice created when supercooled water droplets coat, or rime, a snowflake. The pellets are cloudy or white, not clear like sleet, and often are mistaken for hail.taken from ... here (http://www.srh.weather.gov/srh/jetstream/append/glossary_g.htm) )

badger
08-Feb-06, 17:34
Wind is howling here and sleet battering the windows. Lambing has started, poor little things. Every year I feel so sorry for them and think they must wish they could go back in for a while.

cuddlepop
08-Feb-06, 17:55
Is it bitterly cold.?The wind in Thurso just seeme to cut right through you regardless of what you wear.Tugmistresshave you got an outlook forecast for the weekend fot Caithness,

Tugmistress
08-Feb-06, 18:11
Hi cuddlepop
well up here on top of the hill it is only 0.4c and the wind chill is down to -7.5c when it is blowing at 30mph (average at the moment) that's why it feels so bitter :) couple of minutes ago i could not even see scrabster because of the snow, and it was flakes this time :D

will PM you later with my thoughts for the weekend, just getting ready to go to work (should be fun standing on the pier in this lol :roll:)

cuddlepop
08-Feb-06, 18:21
Take care.Thanks for that ,will check later to see your forcast. Heading up tomorrow to Thurso,dont no if i.ll be able to get internet access at hostle:o)

paris
08-Feb-06, 18:49
it very probably has as thats always when our winter truly starts, I'm glad I am not a poor farmer when they have to go out in that weather brrrrrr

When i lived in lybster i helped a local farmer lambing and loved every minute of it, but he was so worried ( so he said ) about me in the snow he brought me a pair of light green fluorescent wellies with purple hearts all over them in case i got lost up the hills in the snow. Im sure he was taking the mickey though. I delivered about 90 lambs that year and considering i had never done it before i think that was pretty good. I had never seen snow that deep either and loved it .

Saveman
08-Feb-06, 19:42
Wind chill of -6.......windows getting battered by snow/sleet/hail/rain at 24mph from e north......Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

willowbankbear
09-Feb-06, 00:18
Hi cuddlepop
well up here on top of the hill it is only 0.4c and the wind chill is down to -7.5c when it is blowing at 30mph (average at the moment) that's why it feels so bitter :) couple of minutes ago i could not even see scrabster because of the snow, and it was flakes this time :D

will PM you later with my thoughts for the weekend, just getting ready to go to work (should be fun standing on the pier in this lol :roll:)

Aye , ye got it right bout the snow but its no blizzard here thankfully whats the crack with snow up in icy scrabster? Is it dandruff amount or boot deep?

Tugmistress
09-Feb-06, 09:34
all blown away as usual willowbankbear :(