PDA

View Full Version : Council Houses

mulac
19-Jan-09, 15:48
Hi everyone,

Just been told my rent will be going up and I was wondering what the rent prices are for the rest of the county ?

I live in Ormlie and my rent for a 2 bedroomed house is 69 pound a week which will go up to 72 pound a week when the rises take place!

Can you let me know what you rent for council houses are and for which area do you live??

Many thanks !

ter21wat
19-Jan-09, 17:03
Hi there, I live in the flats at Mount Vernon, 2 bedrooms, and my rent at the moment is £62.xx (cant remember how much pence). Im not sure how much it will be after the increase.

Gizmo
19-Jan-09, 17:26
Quit complaining, Council rent is still cheaper than renting privately, we pay £92 a week for a 2 bedroom privately rented house in Wick, it's a struggle each month, but at least WE get to choose where we live and what kind of house we live in.

ShelleyCowie
19-Jan-09, 17:51
Wow they are MENTAL prices!

Sorry to butt in, does anybody know if pentland housing prices are going up?

We are £62 for a 3 bedroom house near Pennyland

Bad Manners
19-Jan-09, 17:59
Council house rents here are far lower up here than elsewhere in the country and a lot cheaper than private landlords.
Seven years ago we were renting a two bed semi in london and the rent was £1150.00 a month and that was quite favorable to other prices at the time so would count yourself lucky even with the new increase.

ter21wat
19-Jan-09, 18:06
Gizmo, i wasnt complaining, merely responding to the previous comment. I am very happy with my flat and the area it is located - I believe mulac was simply looking to compare council rent in different areas. As you say, you chose where you live and the type of house you live in so i suggest you stop complaining about your rent being a struggle after all its your choice.

mulac
19-Jan-09, 18:18
Thanks ter21wat , i am just trying to compare rents from different areas !

Gizmo your right it is a struggle each week which is getting worse not better !

No wonder hardly anyone works in High Ormlie :lol:

Gizmo
19-Jan-09, 18:27
Gizmo, i wasnt complaining, merely responding to the previous comment. I am very happy with my flat and the area it is located - I believe mulac was simply looking to compare council rent in different areas. As you say, you chose where you live and the type of house you live in so i suggest you stop complaining about your rent being a struggle after all its your choice.

Eh...my post wasn't directed at you so untangle yer knickers please :p
And i wasn't complaining either, merely pointing out that council rent isn't that bad compared to renting privately, saying it's a stuggle each month is not a complaint...it's a fact, one that i'm happy enough with as it's a nice house, so again...untangle yer knickers ;) :p

Kodiak
19-Jan-09, 18:49
As for as I know the rents go up on the 1st April 2009 and the Avereage rent increase for the Highland Council is £2.46 a week.

alanabain
19-Jan-09, 18:51
Hi everyone,

Just been told my rent will be going up and I was wondering what the rent prices are for the rest of the county ?

I live in Ormlie and my rent for a 2 bedroomed house is 69 pound a week which will go up to 72 pound a week when the rises take place!

Can you let me know what you rent for council houses are and for which area do you live??

Many thanks !

:O i live in High Ormlie too in a 2 bedroom house and my rent is already £72..and now its going up :(

Julia
19-Jan-09, 18:51
I have a three bedroomed house in Wick which is £73 odd a week.

cuddlepop
19-Jan-09, 19:01
Rent over here in Portree after the rise wil be roughly £65 a week for a three bedroom semi.

Looking at private rentals in central belt for similar and there about £150 per week.:eek:

mulac
19-Jan-09, 19:05
Just like to thank everyone for their replys!

Thanks everyone 1!! :D

purplelady
19-Jan-09, 22:10
7 years ago I lived in kent and was paying £400 per month and that was 7 yrs ago heaven knows how much it is now x

ShelleyCowie
19-Jan-09, 23:09
Sorry i made a mistake earlier. We pay £52 for a 3 bedroom house. My bad. Thought it was more but it is less!

alanabain
19-Jan-09, 23:11
Sorry i made a mistake earlier. We pay £52 for a 3 bedroom house. My bad. Thought it was more but it is less!

aww shelley give me ur house :(

EDDIE
19-Jan-09, 23:57
im £325 a month for a 1 bedroomed flat leased wish i had a council house

purplelady
20-Jan-09, 00:31
I pay £61.01 for a 2 bed flat x

2little2late
20-Jan-09, 00:56
Wow they are MENTAL prices!

Sorry to butt in, does anybody know if pentland housing prices are going up?

We are £62 for a 3 bedroom house near Pennyland
Not as far as I know. We haven't had any notication of any rent increase.

2little2late
20-Jan-09, 00:59
Hi everyone,

Many thanks !
Which is why everyone should have voted to transfer the Council's housing stock to Highland Housing Association.
The Scottish Government were going to right the Council's debt off too.
Glad I rent from Pentland.

trix
20-Jan-09, 01:04
less than 40 kwid for a one bedroom'd hoosie....an it comes doon each year by aboot a kwid.

2little2late
20-Jan-09, 01:08
less than 40 kwid for a one bedroom'd hoosie....an it comes doon each year by aboot a kwid.

So does that mean in about forty years time your rent will be zero and they will actually be paying you £1.00 every year to stay in your hoosie?

trix
20-Jan-09, 01:14
So does that mean in about forty years time your rent will be zero and they will actually be paying you £1.00 every year to stay in your hoosie?

aye ;)

na, but seriously, it came doon last year an it will for 'e next three years.

dina ask me why....(cos i da ken)

Gizmo
20-Jan-09, 01:31
aye ;)

na, but seriously, it came doon last year an it will for 'e next three years.

dina ask me why....(cos i da ken)

Hid micht be thur feered yull put yuan oh yur spells on thum :p

Julia
20-Jan-09, 02:22
I have a three bedroomed house in Wick which is £73 odd a week.

I too got it wrong, ironically I received a letter today telling me how much my rent is, it's £71.99 pw.

alanabain
20-Jan-09, 19:30
Which is why everyone should have voted to transfer the Council's housing stock to Highland Housing Association.
The Scottish Government were going to right the Council's debt off too.
Glad I rent from Pentland.

I did vote yes... thought everyone else would too.

Maybe they knew something i didnt.

balto
20-Jan-09, 22:33
we are with cairn in thurso, and moving to a 3 bedroom house next week hopefully, and the rent there is £211 per month, a lot cheaper than the council by the sounds of it, we ought to be gratefull.

mccaugm
20-Jan-09, 23:02
I haven't rented for about 8 or 9 years and I had a two bed semi at a rental of £45 per week which I thought was horrendous then. Bought a house with my husband and reckon looking at rents that most folk seem to have most would be cheaper buying.

sweetpea
20-Jan-09, 23:51
How do you get a council house? i WANT one.

ett23
21-Jan-09, 00:03
I must be quite fortunate as far as rent goes. We rent a 3 bedroom flat privately and it's £69 odd a week. I always thought council houses were much cheaper but actually they're not!!!

Gizmo
21-Jan-09, 00:52
I must be quite fortunate as far as rent goes. We rent a 3 bedroom flat privately and it's £69 odd a week. I always thought council houses were much cheaper but actually they're not!!!

They used to be cheaper but they have risen quite steeply over the last few years.

As for cheaper buying, probably, but for me personally, i will never again have a mortgage, life and work has so many ups and down in this day and age that taking on the responsibility of a huge 25yr debt is just way too risky, the stress of out of control debt broke me and has had a permenant lasting effect, it's not something i ever wish to experience again.

ShelleyCowie
21-Jan-09, 12:17
They used to be cheaper but they have risen quite steeply over the last few years.

As for cheaper buying, probably, but for me personally, i will never again have a mortgage, life and work has so many ups and down in this day and age that taking on the responsibility of a huge 25yr debt is just way too risky, the stress of out of control debt broke me and has had a permenant lasting effect, it's not something i ever wish to experience again.

It is a responsibility i could not handle either Gizmo! Me and my OH were talking about buying a house in a few years at least! Our house may be 3 bedrooms but they are so awkward shapes!!! 3 kiddies and 2 adults its a bitty tight sometimes!

So if i was going to buy a house i would have to be certain that i have some money sorted to have a back up plan just incase...never know whats going to happen! [disgust]

Mopsy8385
04-Feb-09, 18:53
we live in a 2 bedroom semi in wick and we currently pay £74.04 a week with the highland council

Mil
04-Feb-09, 23:42
Does your rent include council tax ?

David from Stockport
05-Feb-09, 00:05
Wish I lived up there -rents are cheaper ( I pay £ 100 pw for 1 room in stockport) rotten windows lots of damp ,heating not work etc and landlord who not speak English when you try to get things sorted .
You have a fantastic place to live ,I know its not as good as a few years ago tho ! about 10 yrs ago I read an article about how Thurso was the most affluent part of the uk to live ,mainly becouse of cheap houses for sale/rent and high ave wages becouse of Dounreay .
I also read an article last year saying how Thurso was being brought down by the council offering housing to familys who have caused problems elsewhere ,lets hope this changes ! -still rather be up there with you guys though

trix
05-Feb-09, 17:29
a hun'er kwid a week :eek:

ats extortionate min, i couldna afford 'at.....an i hev aboot 3 jobs!!

mrs and mr brown
05-Feb-09, 17:46
my rent is £69 odd at the mo, thats for 3 bedrooms and its semi detached. not sure if its going to go up, i hope that it doesnt, as its hard enough to pay. its about time that the prices of things come down, everything much expensive nowadays, electric, gas, fuel for the car, food, oh the list goes on.....................

Moonboots
05-Feb-09, 17:48
God my rent is £96.00 and its a council house. 3 bedrooms.

I hate paying it every week [lol]

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-09, 17:49
my rent is £69 odd at the mo, thats for 3 bedrooms and its semi detached. not sure if its going to go up, i hope that it doesnt, as its hard enough to pay. its about time that the prices of things come down, everything much expensive nowadays, electric, gas, fuel for the car, food, oh the list goes on.....................

Hear Hear! Prices are far too high right now and wages are not being risen enough to compensate for it all! :confused