PDA

View Full Version : "Super"(sic)Bowl

scotsboy
05-Feb-06, 18:11
Anyone going to watch it? Me I wish I could access the Lingerie Bowl:)

Not sure if I can post the link up.........may end up getting my wrists slapped.

scorrie
05-Feb-06, 19:34
Anyone going to watch it? Me I wish I could access the Lingerie Bowl:)

Not sure if I can post the link up.........may end up getting my wrists slapped.

I follow the NFL very closely, it has been a fair source of revenue for me over the past twenty years or so, although it has been getting harder with the salary caps and free agency in recent times. The money I made when the Baltimore Ravens won will keep me ahead for some years to come.

It is quite a hard game to follow for the casual viewer and there are many stoppages during the game. Despite the pads and helmets this is a very tough game, with many injuries occuring throughout the season. Often this provides the opportunity to jump in for a bet when you get the heads up that a key player will not start the game.

I suspect that there are too many complexities for the average Soccer fan to appreciate Gridiron ;o) (probably well past their bedtime as well) However, I find it to be an interesting and strategical game, played by some superb athletes, of Olympic standard in some cases.

I recommended Pittsburgh as a decent bet at 12/1 some weeks ago when they started to put a sequence of wins together. Indianapolis were ridiculously short given Peyton Manning's terrible post season record.

Like most things American it will be overblown to the hilt and the winners will be declared World Champions despite there being no other Countries involved!!

brandy
05-Feb-06, 20:11
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo STEALERS!!!!!
*grins*

2little2late
06-Feb-06, 00:41
Despite the pads and helmets this is a very tough game,

Not as tough as rugby league. I remember about 20 years ago Hull Kingston Rovers rugby league club signed two American football players can't remember which team they were signed from. One guy was called Tim Anchors. They came hoping to add a bit of impact to the game.

Two tough guys they were, they only lasted a couple of games and ended up going back to USA because rugby league was too tough for them.

golach
06-Feb-06, 00:42
Not as tough as rugby league. I remember about 20 years ago Hull Kingston Rovers rugby league club signed two American football players can't remember which team they were signed from. One guy was called Tim Anchors. They came hoping to add a bit of impact to the game.

Two tough guys they were, they only lasted a couple of games and ended up going back to USA because rugby league was too tough for them.
Whey Hey Scotland today!!!! beat the Frogs :p

willowbankbear
06-Feb-06, 00:45
Hull K R thats a team ive not heard of for years, where are they now 2little2late?

willowbankbear
06-Feb-06, 07:29
Stealers won the superbowl

scotsboy
06-Feb-06, 18:10
Each to their own Scorrie. I understand it can be a great source of revenue for those who like a gamble, but it just does nothing for me. I know and understand the game but just can't appreciate it at all - it is boring.
Rugby League on the other hand is a fantastic game - used to regulary watch the Canberra Raiders when I worked in Australia. Actually even Rugby Union was a different game when played in Oz, I was fortunate enough to watch a Canberra team that included 5 Australian internationals including a very young George Gregan. I even took in Aussie Rules when I was out there and watched the Sydney Swans with Tony Lockett on several occassions, but my Aussie Rules team is Carlton. Aussie rules players would eat your average American footballer for breakfast!

scorrie
06-Feb-06, 20:54
Aussie rules players would eat your average American footballer for breakfast!

Aye and my Dad could thump your Dad!!

Zachary Hilton at 6' 8" and 20 stones might have something to say about the chances of a bunch of Sheilas having him for breakfast. Better get them stocked up on the vegemite sarnies!!

Aussie rules football is not one for me, like basketball, there is far too much scoring and the goalposts are so wide that even the Gers might squeeze a goal in ;o)

The quality of athletes in the NFL is superb. Darrell Green played for the Redskins for 20 years and in his lifetime clocked 44.3 for 400m, 20.5 for 200m, 10.08 for 100m and 4.15 for 40m. At the age of 44, he clocked 4.36 for 40m in a demonstration at a youth football summer camp. I would be interested to learn of any of your Swans who can/could fly as fast!!

Interestingly, The Six Nations Championship was recently described in the Racing Post as being the most tedious competition in the World. I have to say that Rugby Union also leaves me cold, even to the extent that I have placed a wager on it.

2little2late
06-Feb-06, 23:11
Hull K R thats a team ive not heard of for years, where are they now 2little2late?

Hull K.R. are in the national league division one. They've been trying for years to get into the super league but they just ain't good enough. There's only one decent rugby league team in Hull and that is Hull F.C. Challenge cup winners 2005. Super league champions elect 2006-2007.

scotsboy
07-Feb-06, 18:47
Interestingly, The Six Nations Championship was recently described in the Racing Post as being the most tedious competition in the World. I have to say that Rugby Union also leaves me cold, even to the extent that I have placed a wager on it.

Tend to agree there - but only as far as Northern Hemisphere Rugby goes. Only interest in the Six Nations is Scotland really. It is a different game when played in the sun on proper grass! Do you remember all those Rugby Specials on sundays where you could not make out one team from the other as they were all covered in mud.

Couldn't watch Aussie rules on the telly, you have to be there.........maybe it has something to do with the beer:)