PDA

View Full Version : Absolute disgrace.

Bazeye
18-Jan-09, 19:19
MPs in parliament are desperately trying to prevent the publication of figures showing how much taxpayers money they have spent on themselves by way of 'expenses'. Commons leader Harriet Harman has revealed that the Government intends to change the laws to exempt MPs from the freedom of information law and just to rub our noses in it further its being backdated to 2005. I hate what this country has turned out to be. Shows how much these arrogant, despicable people think of us.[mad][mad][mad]

Boss
18-Jan-09, 19:26
MPs in parliament are desperately trying to prevent the publication of figures showing how much taxpayers money they have spent on themselves by way of 'expenses'. Commons leader Harriet Harman has revealed that the Government intends to change the laws to exempt MPs from the freedom of information law and just to rub our noses in it further its being backdated to 2005. I hate what this country has turned out to be. Shows how much these arrogant, despicable people think of us.[mad][mad][mad]

You are so right, it is a disgrace.
The one who was in the news the other day (cannot remember his name) but that he had his £1 "expenses claim rejected", I think the fact he asked for it in the first place is rather despicable, given the state of the country and the current state of politics.
Their arrogance is beyond belief, given that they are not exactly "anyone" who is anyone, that I can see anyway.

Dorrie
18-Jan-09, 20:28
Start a petition against it on the government website. I think you can do that and if enough people sign it they have to take notice. :) Worth a look to see if there is already one started though.

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-09, 20:30
I hate not understanding politics! Even worse is that i was in a modern politics class for 3 years in school!

Forgot the lot the day i finished ere! [lol] Well i remember some!

So can somebody explain a wee bit about what this means? Cos its been racking my brains!!!

percy toboggan
18-Jan-09, 20:42
I think it means M.P.'s snouts can stay in the trough of tax-payer funded perks for a while longer yet.

We need a clear out. Most of them are in it for themselves and themselves only.
They take us all for mugs and deserve a kick in their seats.

Julia
18-Jan-09, 20:47
Isn't there a website where we can view each MP's expenses, I remember looking at John Thurso's last year.

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-09, 20:51
Found this

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=72988&in_page_id=34

Sorry just to add this one too

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-Archive/Article/20080641251577

Julia
18-Jan-09, 20:53
I'm totally sure I read a list of expenses on the web, I did find info on allowances however,

Column 1: Cost of staying away from main home
The Additional Costs Allowance (cost of staying away from main home/ ACA) is paid to reimburse Members for necessary costs incurred when staying overnight away from their main home for the purpose of performing parliamentary duties. Inner London Members do not receive this allowance.

2006/07 ACA maximum of £22,110
2005/06 ACA maximum of £21,634
2004/05 ACA maximum of £20,902

Column 2: London Supplement
Inner London Members receive the London Supplement instead of the ACA. Outer London Members may choose between the ACA and the London Supplement. In 2004/05, Ministers who did not live in official accommodation and certain office holders automatically received the London Supplement with their salary in addition to ACA where eligible.

2006/07 London Supplement: £2,712
2005/06 London Supplement: £2,613
2004/05 London Supplement: £1,618

They are a bit out of date but how on earth would it cost 22k a year to stay over in London so as to go to Parliament?

Also noted that they get 40p per mile for the first 10k miles for cars, 24ppm for motorbikes and 20ppm for bicycles [lol]

Kevin Milkins
18-Jan-09, 20:55
It certainly seems at times that the lunatics are running the asylam.:confused

They make there own rules up to suit themselves and cover there backs with lies and more rules, and by the time that you can get anywere near them they change the rules.:mad:
Rant over.

teenybash
18-Jan-09, 20:55
I think this government is the worst ever having let the country down badly. Mr Brown now prime minister and previous chancellor holds many secrets about his and his governments mishandling of expenses....let's hope the old saying of, 'the truth will out.' comes about...................though we could all be in for a big shock if and when it does.[disgust]

Julia
18-Jan-09, 20:56
This is the "John Lewis list" of claims MPs can make to furnish a second home:
New kitchen - £10,000
New bathroom - £6,335
Suite of furniture - £2,000
Bed - £1,000
Sideboard - £795
Television set - £750
Hi-fi/stereo - £750
Wardrobe - £700
Gas cooker - £650
Dining table - £600
Fridge/freezer combi - £550
Bookcase/cabinet - £500
Drawer chest (5) - £500
Dressing table - £500
Washer dryer - £500
Dishwasher - £375
Washing machine - £350
Rugs - £300
Free-standing mirror - £300
Air conditioning - £299.99
Recordable DVD - £270
Tumble dryer - £250
Coffee table - £250
Food mixer - £200
Book case/shelf - £200
Nest of tables - £200
Lamp table - £200
Dining armchairs - £150 each
Workstation - £150
Coffee maker/machine - £100
Bedside cabinet - £100
Dining chairs - £90 each
Shredder - £50
Carpets (sq m) - £35
Underlay (sq m) - £6.99
Carpet fitting (sq m) - £6.50

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-09, 20:56
It certainly seems at times that the lunatics are running the asylam.:confused

They make there own rules up to suit themselves and cover there backs with lies and more rules, and by the time that you can get anywere near them they change the rules.:mad:
Rant over.

Rant away! U are quite right here! How come they are not being affected by the credit crunch? Because they are spending our tax.

To me all i see when i watch anything about MP's all they do is sit/stand and debate! I could do that!!! [lol]

Kodiak
18-Jan-09, 20:59
To find out a particular MP's Expences go to this Page :-

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mps/

Then scroll down to the MP you want to find out about and click on their name. Then in the next page just click on Expences and you will see the expences claimed by that MP from 2001 to 2007

Julia
18-Jan-09, 21:04
To find out a particular MP's Expences go to this Page :-

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mps/

Then scroll down to the MP you want to find out about and click on their name. Then in the next page just click on Expences and you will see the expences claimed by that MP from 2001 to 2007

That's the site, thanks Kodiak!

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-09, 21:13
lol i just found that one! u beat me Kodiak! ;)

ter21wat
19-Jan-09, 16:34
Brilliant site Kodiak cheers.

I think eveyone needs to access it just now - if you click on the link for John Thurso it brings up a pop up urging you to contact your MP and ask them to vote against the draft 'Freedom of Information (Parliament) Order 2009' - they are voting this THURSDAY!! It allows you to email them directly from the site, all you have to do is enter your postcode and add a few words asking them to vote against the draft.

This is ridiculous!! MP's are voted in by the people, are paid for by the people and are spending the peoples hard earned money - we have every right to know how it is being spent! Why should MP's be exempt of the freedom of information act?!?!

ter21wat
19-Jan-09, 16:41
Also check out this link to Jo Swinson's website - she has today tabled a parliamentary motion against the Government's decision to exempt MPs from publishing full details of their expenses.

http://joswinson.org.uk/news/000818/expenses_move_risks_further_tarnishing_parliament_ _swinson.html

Shabbychic
19-Jan-09, 18:30
I contacted John Thurso once on the Theyworkforyou website. He wrote back to me, via normal mail, a few days later. I also signed up to Speaker Alert, where every time John Thurso speaks in the house, I get word emailed to me with a link to what he is involved in.

Think it may be time to contact him again regarding this.

Bazeye
19-Jan-09, 21:06
This is the "John Lewis list" of claims MPs can make to furnish a second home:
New kitchen - £10,000
New bathroom - £6,335
Suite of furniture - £2,000
Bed - £1,000
Sideboard - £795
Television set - £750
Hi-fi/stereo - £750
Wardrobe - £700
Gas cooker - £650
Dining table - £600
Fridge/freezer combi - £550
Bookcase/cabinet - £500
Drawer chest (5) - £500
Dressing table - £500
Washer dryer - £500
Dishwasher - £375
Washing machine - £350
Rugs - £300
Free-standing mirror - £300
Air conditioning - £299.99
Recordable DVD - £270
Tumble dryer - £250
Coffee table - £250
Food mixer - £200
Book case/shelf - £200
Nest of tables - £200
Lamp table - £200
Dining armchairs - £150 each
Workstation - £150
Coffee maker/machine - £100
Bedside cabinet - £100
Dining chairs - £90 each
Shredder - £50
Carpets (sq m) - £35
Underlay (sq m) - £6.99
Carpet fitting (sq m) - £6.50

Not bad for a second home is it.
This country needs radical changes now before it all kicks off big time.

alanabain
19-Jan-09, 22:50
I dont even bother voting..

but then i suppose if i did then i could help pick the people that is going to use my money for their luxuries.

Iv never travelled on a plane, I have a council house and worked hard for everything to make it a home.

I can hear all the MP's now when they walk over their new carpet " thanks alana" etc

But the way i think about it is that i have earned my things and they are just taking it because they can

Bazeye
20-Jan-09, 00:07
I dont even bother voting..

but then i suppose if i did then i could help pick the people that is going to use my money for their luxuries.

Iv never travelled on a plane, I have a council house and worked hard for everything to make it a home.

I can hear all the MP's now when they walk over their new carpet " thanks alana" etc

But the way i think about it is that i have earned my things and they are just taking it because they can

I know, doesnt make it right though.

bekisman
21-Jan-09, 21:51
Looks like they failed:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7842402.stm