PDA

View Full Version : Pittenweem and its environs...

percy toboggan
18-Jan-09, 15:47
Time is getting ripe for a Road Trip.
Regular readers (God bless both of you) will know I need a fix of Scotland every few months and fortunately we have the wherewithal and the ackers to arrange one.

I'm thinking of renting a cottage in Pittenweem for a week in February. Fife is a part of Scotland I have travelled to and through often in my life - perhaps three hundred times but never had much of a chance to linger and explore.

I'm hoping to check out places like St.Monans and Anstruther, which apparently boasts great fish and chips. It seems Pittenweem boasts boats aplenty and looks to have a wee working harbour.

St. Andrews would be a must see as is all of the 'ancient Kingdom of Fife'

I've had a few nights oot in Kirkcaldy - on the lorry park but it's just a different perspective as a road trippin' tourist armed with camera and such.

Do you know the area? It's one of the last remaining pieces in the Scottish jigsaw for both of us...we were tempted to pick up brochures for warmer places but then common sense...and our passion for Caledonia kicked in.

DeHaviLand
18-Jan-09, 15:55
Its been a year or two since I've been in the easy neuk Percy, but its got a lot going for it. Pittenweem is lovely, but Ainsters fish and chips are over-rated. Not a patch on the fare served at La Mirage in Helmsdale.

percy toboggan
18-Jan-09, 16:16
So: Anstruther is pronounced 'Ainster' ?
I live and learn and of course...it figures.

How do locals say 'Pittenweem' De H ?

percy toboggan
18-Jan-09, 16:19
La Mirage - missed it. Darn...Been to Helmsdale thrice I think.
Lovely B & B - ran by a City fan too!
Great statue (the emigrants) ...and a fine arrya of saltyres.....a typically northern Scottish small town feel - superrab.

Angela
18-Jan-09, 16:19
We lived in the village of Ceres near St Andrews for a few years not long ago. It's worth a visit in passing, as are some of the other villages in the Howe of Fife.

Also well worth a short trip inland-the village of Falkland, including Falkland Palace. (Maybe not open in February tho', now I think of it...)

You're right of course, St Andrews is deserving of a visit in its own right....even if you're not a golfer! ;)

The East Neuk's one of my favourite places for a wander round -it has a character all of its own. I've a book of black & white photographs of the various villages somewhere, entitled 'Where the Clock Stands Still', and to some extent I think that still holds true -it hasn't changed that much at all and you do feel the pace of life is slower. Even if it's now heavily populated by retired Edinburgh dentists -or so they say!:roll:

My personal favourites among the villages would have to be Anstruther and its neighbour Cellardyke (really just a continuation of Anstruther).

North of St Andrews, Tentsmuir Forrest is a pleasant spot for a leisurely walk by the sea or a picnic on a good day. Nice walking along the sands at St Andrews too, and there's a walk that takes you from Elie to St Monans as well.

Oops, forgot to mention The Ship Inn in Elie! :D

percy toboggan
18-Jan-09, 16:32
Invaluable info Angela...
thank you very much.

Angela
18-Jan-09, 16:38
Just noticed the F word, Percy -February!:eek:

It can be pretty bleak and raw round the Fife coast at this time of year, so be sure to wrap up like Monsieur & Madame Michelin! and check out how well heated your prospective cottage is likely to be. (I'm sure you'll know that anyway, but still...)

If your trip goes ahead, I'll bend my mind to thinking of warm, snug teashops, cafes and pubs I can recommend to you.... ;)

Which reminds me -yummy bakery products from Fisher & Donaldson in St Andrews. Mmmmm.... :D

golach
18-Jan-09, 16:46
Also recommend The Craws Nest hotel for food in Anstruther, and the many times voted best fish and chip shop in the UK right on the harbour at Anstruther, pronounced by the locals as "Ainster"

Oddquine
18-Jan-09, 17:23
Falkland Palace is open from beginning of March, I think and the other must sees......Culross Palace etc don't open till April.....but the towns themselves are well worth a visit if you are into history and architecture..........or photography.

Angela
18-Jan-09, 17:46
If you can face the idea of a city, percy, and have any interest in Polar exploration (especially Scott), Dundee's only a short drive from St Andrews.

Discovery Point is just across the Tay Bridge -no need to go right into the city itself if you don't want to.

http://www.rrsdiscovery.com/index.php?pageID=54

Dundee Contemporary Arts - a short walk along the road - has two small cinemas and a very pleasant cafe/bar.:)

http://www.dca.org.uk/visit/index.html

Tighsonas4
18-Jan-09, 19:25
the east nuek of fife has something all its own. was there on passage during the war and many moons later went back , stayed in pitinweem and even the b and b had a history but cant mind what it was
think it was who had lived there ,no matter where you go percy of course the weather aspect has got to be catered for
have a nice time and enjoy tony

Valerie Campbell
18-Jan-09, 19:35
We were in St Andrews recently and visited Elie. There had obviously been a high tide as some gardens on the beach front had sand covering their grass, bearing in mind they have walls of over 10 feet to protect them from the sea! We could peer in no probs. A must is a visit to the 'Ainster' Fish Bar. Remember in February it's bitterly cold on the coast and if you go to Kirkcaldy and park on the promenade, you can have fun dodging the waves lashing over the wall!! That all said, have a great time.

percy toboggan
18-Jan-09, 19:53
Thanks to all...
we're well used to visiting in the winter so we'll take our thermals and woolies/waxes etc.....
All I need now is to get the week off at work and sort out the digs.

Much obliged folks.

embow
19-Jan-09, 08:08
You'll not go wrong with vsit to the East Neuk Percy T. Take the camera with you. Of course I'm biased being a native of the Kingdom and a Pittenweemer:lol: The local pronounciation of Anstruther is 'Enster' but the spelling is Anster just as St Monans is said as 'SiMinnins'. No such changes for Pittenweem.
Some grand coastal walks and scenery.
PM me with an e-mail address and I'll try and fill in the answers to any questions. Can send you some pics to let you see what you are visiting. The harbour is till operating but long gone are the days of two markets of white fish every day with one on a Saturday morning.

Bill Fernie
19-Jan-09, 10:11
Take look at the village of Culross if you have time. I only managed a couple of hours there but you could spend much longer. A very interesting ruined church - Culross Abbey at the top of one of the braes. To whet your appetite have a look here - http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/culross/culross/index.html

Or on the Maps Live site at
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?mkt=en-us&v=2&cp=55.852088~-3.211144&style=h&lvl=4&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=6000249.12948542

embow
19-Jan-09, 14:01
Culross (pronounced Cooross) is a lovely old village built in the Scottish Venacular style of the 15th & 16th centuries as are parts of Pittenweem - the Kirk and the Gyles(at the harbour) for example.
Many years ago was friendly with a couple in Culross and the lady of the house was one of the native St Kildans who evacuated the island in 1930. Stayed at Sandhaven which is down at the waterfront next to the Palace.
Indeed Percy T go to Culross if you get the chance. It's about 4 miles from the Kincardine Bridge on the Fife side:)

percy toboggan
19-Jan-09, 20:03
cheers embow & Bill. I'll send an e/mail add when I firm up plans embow.
Still a little in flux but work ok'd the time off today - not much demand for a week in Feb !

Carcassone was mentioned today - half in fun but I really do fancy Fife.

Angela
23-Jan-09, 20:03
If you do decide on the East Neuk, percy, the Anstruther Fish Bar seems to be as good as ever.... :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7844047.stm

Now, how could Carcasssone compete with that? :roll:

Easily, I hear you say! ;)

percy toboggan
11-Feb-09, 18:43
If you do decide on the East Neuk, percy, the Anstruther Fish Bar seems to be as good as ever.... :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7844047.stm

Now, how could Carcasssone compete with that? :roll:

Easily, I hear you say! ;)

Au Contraire Angela..Pittenweem it is. And I'm looking forward to sampling the fish and chips at least twice !
Thermals are packed (I'm told) and uz loins are girded.
Look forward to a change of scenery and really...can France compare to the East Neuk?
(I'll let thee know)

bobandag16
11-Feb-09, 19:06
Time is getting ripe for a Road Trip.
Regular readers (God bless both of you) will know I need a fix of Scotland every few months and fortunately we have the wherewithal and the ackers to arrange one.

I'm thinking of renting a cottage in Pittenweem for a week in February. Fife is a part of Scotland I have travelled to and through often in my life - perhaps three hundred times but never had much of a chance to linger and explore.

I'm hoping to check out places like St.Monans and Anstruther, which apparently boasts great fish and chips. It seems Pittenweem boasts boats aplenty and looks to have a wee working harbour.

St. Andrews would be a must see as is all of the 'ancient Kingdom of Fife'

I've had a few nights oot in Kirkcaldy - on the lorry park but it's just a different perspective as a road trippin' tourist armed with camera and such.

Do you know the area? It's one of the last remaining pieces in the Scottish jigsaw for both of us...we were tempted to pick up brochures for warmer places but then common sense...and our passion for Caledonia kicked in.
many happy holidays at cellardyke twice a year may sept.towns beaches places to go.easy reach. great history. maritine musuem. would never forget enjoy.

Kodiak
12-Feb-09, 01:02
I remember Long Sunny days basking at the "Beach Hotel" in Leven for many Summer Holidays when I was only a Very Young Teen, ie 14 & 14. This hotel is no loger there I have been advised but for me it is great Memory.

percy toboggan
25-Feb-09, 20:09
I took my lap top on hols for the first time and used it as an e.writing pad.
Churned out a few thousand words as I drank wine after din-dins and Mrs.T read her book.

Available in bite sized chunks.
If anyone is the least bit interested I'll be pleasantly surprised....;)
http://t0boggan.wordpress.com/