PDA

View Full Version : What a night.

cuddlepop
18-Jan-09, 14:21
It was awful over here lastnight with the gales and rain/sleet/hail.(thundersnow)

Funny noise coming from the roof that didnt sound like tlies lifting.This morning it appears that where the wood joins down the middle of the cable wall its lose.Not too big a gap but will need fixed.Its a Swedish house.

Hopefully now HC will listen to us when we tell them there's water coming into the house which is causing dampness and mould in our room.
The linen cupboard walls are covered in mould too so cant use that area.Had to throw out mouldy spare pillows.My mothers candlewick is currently in the wash,hope its ok. :(

Not only that but Raasay house was burnt to the ground lastnight.
This hasnt been handed over to the community yet,that was to happen next month.
£4 000 000 and its gone .Really suprised they managed to get the ferry across,our firefighters are still over there and thats from early morning.:eek:

kas
18-Jan-09, 14:44
Oh my goodness I had never heard of Raasay house but have just googled it and what a shame!!

It was stormy but nothing out of the ordinary for a Caithness winter from where I was, looks like we got away with this storm. Others may have been more exposed to the wind than I was and had it worse. I hope you get the house sorted.

emszxr
18-Jan-09, 15:09
OMG
not raasay house, what a terrible shame. did they not host parties for kids summer breaks.

just went and seen it on bbc news site. what a shame on the community and the kids that had so much fun there. i know of a group that took kids there for a break from looking after family members.

Venture
18-Jan-09, 15:16
What devastating news. Such a beautiful historic building. Such a shame it was so near to completion of the refurbishment. The fire services must have had a terrible time attending in those weather conditions.

http://www.raasayoutdoorcentre.co.uk/

percy toboggan
18-Jan-09, 15:22
I pray the losses are insured. What a terrible event...and a dreadful night by the sound of it. It must be wonderful to have a recognisable 'community'...there is no such thing here. Yesterday I cleared up some dead , damp leaves which have been annoying me for three years and more...the clump simply gets bigger every year and this time I was galvanised into action. It's down the cul-de-sac a bit from me and there was no hope of anyone else doing it. I wish we had a community instead of disparate English folk living parallel lives in sullen outward silence. A tenant who lives very close gawped at me as he sidestepped my shovel. Said nowt.

I was minded of the line 'late September back in sixty-three' when I saw this thread, hoping it might be reference to the four seasons. Indeed it was but in a tangential kind of way. I'm sorry for deflecting it.

Hope the weather improves soon for you far northern intrepids. Here it is sunny and fresh. Blue sky - I've just been on the treadmill for ten minutes...back on the paid one tommora!! for eight hours.

cuddlepop
18-Jan-09, 16:38
With the weather being so bad lastnight,Calmac couldnt sail across so all the fire crews were ferryed across in the lifeboat.
They only have a small fire tender over there so that would have made the fight against the fire doubly hard.

The insurance is gong to be an nightmare to sort out.:eek:

My X and my son were both contracted to do joinery worh over there and all their tools were left on site.With the job nearing completition they were both payed off on Friday and were going over on Monday to collect there belongings.

Some boys from Wick were working there too dont know if they had finished up yet.

dirdyweeker
18-Jan-09, 20:16
What a tragedy. Only glad it was vacant at the time and not in use as an Outdoor Centre. Bravo to the Firefighters, must have been difficult for them.

percy toboggan
18-Jan-09, 20:38
[quote=cuddlepop;485758]
.....The insurance is gong to be an nightmare to sort out.:eek:

My X and my son were both contracted to do joinery worh over there and all their tools were left on site.With the job nearing completition they were both payed off on Friday and were going over on Monday to collect there belongings.....

quote]

You and your family seem to have more than a fair share of bad luck lately C/p - I hope their tools and stuff have survived unscathed.

cuddlepop
19-Jan-09, 14:37
My sons dad was phones this morning and told that the Raasay site was closed for a week.
Police have declared it a possible crime scene.

It appears one cable end is not as badly damaged and they hope thats where their tools are.
The company have said "we'll rebuild it"(so more work) once the insurance has been sorted out.

My cable end wall will be repaird asap,hopefully by Wednesday as more gales forecast and it will blow off.
They suspect thats were the damp has been coming in and will investigate when they've more time.

Think there's lots of damage after the weekend here.:(