PDA

View Full Version : tax credits

caithgal
27-Aug-03, 18:50
I have recently changed job and location and have had to use a registered childcare facility which although has an expensive hourly rate is wll worth the money. Prior to this I had a network of family and friends who were happy to have my child. I was very disappointed to learn from the tax credit people that unless i am in a contracted position of 16 hours a week, I am uneligable for childcare assistance. while this is unfortunate for myself, i am in a position to be able to pay, a little uncomfortably(on not too bad an hourly rate) and my partner works. But my gripe is that there must be so many people who are employed on a relief basis who find that they cannot work due to the very high childcare costs. I can understand that calculating the amount of childcare allowed for a person who cannot guarantee how many hours they work may be difficult but feel that an easy solution of regularly updating the tax credit people on amount earned and childcare expenses on a monthly basis is easy enough. fair enough for them to say well you have to work a minimum of 16 hours a week but my relief position is full time for the forseable future just that I do not have a contract. Has anyone else had this difficulty?

Anonymous
28-Aug-03, 17:17
Caithgal,
Would it not be far simpler if we did not pay such an extortionate rate of tax on every activity.
Why give a tax rebate? How much does it cost to a) collect the tax and b) to then re-distribute it?
Gordon Brown has instigated how many tax rises in six years? If the Government stayed doing what it does best, defence, foreign policy and possibly the police, (although how anyone can make a case for the idiot formerly known as David Blunkett being made Minister for the Interior and de facto in charge of the police I do not know!), tax rates could fall to less than half their 50%+ on working people. This in turn would allow people to do what they do best i.e. generate wealth and hopefully lead to a virtuous circle.
I am not slating this government but every government since 1948 when they realised what a cash cow the populace was and is.
Low tax = no rebates neccessary.
Sorry about the ranting but it just seems so inefficient which ultimately affects each of us.
Paddy

caithgal
29-Aug-03, 20:52
Yep Paddy i take your views on board and as a full tax payer i agree however my gripe is not for myself so much as all the other parents who want to work but are unable to do so due to high childcare costs. The nursery my son attends is charged at £3.80 per hour. minimum wage is £4.10 at the moment so how can people be expected to work when costs are so high? My gripe is that the government say yes we will help parents to go to work but the catch is only if you have a contract and work more than 16 hours. Lots and lots of people (especially working for councils) are not contracted and therefore will not get any of the over hyped " love this government " help that is widely promised.