PDA

View Full Version : Food fads

ashaw1
17-Jan-09, 15:17
Was just reading the post about puddings which got me to thinking about food fads. Just wondered how picky people were when it came to food. For example my son went through a phase when none of the food on his plate was allowed to touch another food, i have a thing about when i have rolls from a bakery i have to have a roll that has been in the middle of a batch and not one from a side or a corner (they are softer that way). Anyone else have any specifications when it comes to food?

dirdyweeker
17-Jan-09, 15:19
My son at 14 is similar. He does not like food touching other foods on his plate either. Also he tends to eat all of one item on the plate before moving on to the next one. Hates foods mixed together on his fork. I would say the exception being Spag Bol!

telfordstar
17-Jan-09, 20:13
My son is very fussy with food. He won't eat anything that is hot or warm all foods have to be cold. He has a huge soft spot for that billy bear sausage meat slices so for a dinner he will have 5 no more or less slices of billy bear, cheese and sliced up apples. We have tried everything to get him to try new foods but with no luck. He has seen a dietition and a speach therapist but no luck.

joxville
17-Jan-09, 20:26
Anyone else have any specifications when it comes to food?

Yes. Hot food must be hot, salads must be cold. I hate it when people get the two mixed up. [lol]

youoldduffer
17-Jan-09, 20:55
Yes. Hot food must be hot, salads must be cold. I hate it when people get the two mixed up. [lol]

gotta agree with that, I hate food thats luke warm. I'm the same with tea or coffee if I've left it too long and its warm I will make another.

Kevin Milkins
17-Jan-09, 21:38
If I make dinner I have to put the plates under the grill so they are hot before I serve up.:confused

Unless of course it's a cold meal.

Fran
18-Jan-09, 02:41
If I make dinner I have to put the plates under the grill so they are hot before I serve up.:confused

Not many people seem to do that, but i always have, otherwise the dinner gets cold.

JAWS
18-Jan-09, 09:16
My youngest son, when he was a young child, was murder to feed. He wasn't faddy about what he ate, he just wouldn't eat. How he ever managed to survive I'll never know.

One morning I was watching TV and there was a child expert on explaining how to entice such children to eat by making the food look like something interesting. I watched with eager anticipation and decided to try it out immediately. The idea was to make a face using eggs for eyes, spaghetti for hair and a sausage for the mouth.

Did it help, did it heck. He looked at it, admired it, smiled, then turned to me and said, "That's good, dad, it looks like a face."
That had me even more worried but fortunately he didn't grow up to be a starving art critic.

helenwyler
18-Jan-09, 11:28
....salads must be cold. I hate it when people get the two mixed up. [lol]

Warm salads are all the rage these days, jox ;).
http://www.salad-recipes.co.uk/recipes/warm-salad-ham-eggs.shtml

floyed
18-Jan-09, 11:40
I don't like my toast buttered when it is hot it has to be cold.

I don't like toast just buttered either it has to have something on it like jam, ham, tomatoes ect.

I only eat baked potatoes if they are covered in black pepper, I use about 6 sachets in Wetherspoons.

Don't like soggie cereal i like it when you first put the milk on and its all crunchie.

I have plenty more:eek: i am very fussy but not about the food, i eat most things, but it has to be just the way i like it:lol:

Venture
18-Jan-09, 11:45
When eating porridge I never pour the milk on top, I always have a small bowl of milk, and it must be freezing cold, to the side. I then put a spoon of porridge in the cold milk and eat it.

When putting butter on anything it must be straight from the fridge. I hate when its soft and runny it dosen't taste the same.

Although normally I take milk in my coffee, if I am having bacon sandwiches the coffee must be black.

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-09, 11:52
My toast has to be buttered as soon as its done in the toaster.

Coffee has to be stirred 10 times before putting milk in. Then stir 5 more times. clockwise and anti-clockwise! Its just me that does it! If the OH makes a brew i cant complain because its so rare!!

Cant eat soggy cereal! That really annoys me! [disgust]

Cant think o anythin else just now...need ma coffee...stir 10 times.............etc etc

ett23
18-Jan-09, 12:18
Was just reading the post about puddings which got me to thinking about food fads. Just wondered how picky people were when it came to food. For example my son went through a phase when none of the food on his plate was allowed to touch another food, i have a thing about when i have rolls from a bakery i have to have a roll that has been in the middle of a batch and not one from a side or a corner (they are softer that way). Anyone else have any specifications when it comes to food?

My little brother used to be like that - couldn't have anything touching on his plate and if he had beans (you know how some weird people like beans poured all over the food?) he had to have them in a separate bowl to the side of his plate and he'd eat them separately - just in case they contaminated the rest of his dinner!!! I'm a bit like that with beans - I don't like them all over my food apart from when i have beans on toast but I don't like too much liquid or else the toast goes soggy - yeuch!! So usually what i do is have the toast separate and fork it on one bit at a time and take a bite, more beans, another bite, etc!!
The thing about rolls reminds me of my gran who used to always have her rolls 'well fired' or in other words - burnt on top!! Also she had to take the lovely fluffy white doughy bit out of the middle before she could butter it and put the filling in - WHY??!! :mad: This used to drive my mother nuts as a child and also us when we went to stay - the middle bit is the best part of the roll, surely?!!!
Funny how we all have our little quirks isn't it?:lol:

Thumper
18-Jan-09, 18:27
I dont like my food to touch each other either,unless its just the gravy,I can deal with that :) I hate things like ice cream and fruit together,or even worse things like angel delight with peaches or something on it.....yuck!The one that drives my son crazy is that I will only eat red penguins,they taste better than the other ones....honest :o x

Ash
18-Jan-09, 18:37
wont eat yoghurts with bits in it
orange juice with bits makes me want to vomit!

rice pudding cannot eat as its not smooth
mashed tatties has to have no lumps

dont like warm fruit, cannot eat apple pies ect

hotrod4
18-Jan-09, 18:38

To save money i put the plates on top of the cooker while I am cooking. Very rarely use all the rings at the same time,but still get the heat,just to take the "edge" of the plate.

My food numptyness is, I have to have a bit of everything on my fork. Cant just eat one thing at a time, MUST be altogether!!!:confused

Boss
18-Jan-09, 19:41
My son at 14 is similar. He does not like food touching other foods on his plate either. Also he tends to eat all of one item on the plate before moving on to the next one. Hates foods mixed together on his fork. I would say the exception being Spag Bol!

I wonder if this fad, is a result of what they are being taught in school with regard to perhaps food poisoning or similar, it is feasible a young person would think such as cross contamination would relate to all food, even those of which are on his plate.
I agree that children should be aware of certain food facts, but it is so easy to confuse the issue to vulnerable young people, don't you think?
(I should add, I have no teenagers, but merely making suggestion).

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-09, 19:44
To save money i put the plates on top of the cooker while I am cooking. Very rarely use all the rings at the same time,but still get the heat,just to take the "edge" of the plate.

My food numptyness is, I have to have a bit of everything on my fork. Cant just eat one thing at a time, MUST be altogether!!!:confused

Im the same! Fry up - a bit o sausage, bit o egg, some beans, bit o bacon...etc etc! Same with sunday roasts and stuff! Dont like it all individual!!! [lol]

alanabain
18-Jan-09, 20:03
milk put in a cup of tea when the teabag is still in there... u can taste the difference

fruit corner yoghurts... i buy them to eat the fruit and then the yoghurt.... never mixed together.

my son has a thing about eating fish caught fresh out of the sea...any my boyfriend catches is a no no. out of a box he is fine

we also used to tell him that everything was a kind of cartoon food ( brocoli - shrek trees , power ranger cabbage and Ben 10 tatties )

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-09, 20:22
milk put in a cup of tea when the teabag is still in there... u can taste the difference

fruit corner yoghurts... i buy them to eat the fruit and then the yoghurt.... never mixed together.

my son has a thing about eating fish caught fresh out of the sea...any my boyfriend catches is a no no. out of a box he is fine

we also used to tell him that everything was a kind of cartoon food ( brocoli - shrek trees , power ranger cabbage and Ben 10 tatties )

I cana believe shrek trees actually worked with him Alana! And u always were fussy with Fruit corner yoghurts! Done ma head in! [evil] They were meant to be mixed together! [lol]

Dorrie
18-Jan-09, 20:36
I can't stand egg and tomato together. Especially baked beans and eggs (it's the tomato sauce) and I don't like tomato sauce either but that's beside the point. Baked bean sauce touching and egg makes me feel ill! :(

nightowl
18-Jan-09, 20:49
I love hot mince and tatties mixed up in a "pie"
Also cold mince on a "piece"
I love hot beans on a plate with sausages and chips
Also cold beans spooned from the tin!
Sausages are great.
Cold sausages are even better!
First helping of macaroni lovely.
Cold sliced macaroni the next day, to die for!
Pizza, piping hot or cold later, who cares!!
I could go on and on. Is that why I is so fat??

joxville
19-Jan-09, 00:28
I love hot mince and tatties mixed up in a "pie"
Also cold mince on a "piece"
I love hot beans on a plate with sausages and chips
Also cold beans spooned from the tin!
Sausages are great.
Cold sausages are even better!
First helping of macaroni lovely.
Cold sliced macaroni the next day, to die for!
Pizza, piping hot or cold later, who cares!!
I could go on and on. Is that why I is so fat??

Yep, and cos yer a greedy git. [lol]

sweetpea
19-Jan-09, 01:07
I will eat ANYTHING but I can't stand food that is burning hot, straight out of the pot. I have to wait until it cools a bit. I'm just getting over a burnt mouth from last weekend!