PDA

View Full Version : Elecrtic Key meter warning.

cuddlepop
17-Jan-09, 14:23
Just now I've tried to put £20 of electricity into my meter,which I know is in the key but the meter wont except it.Error 50 just came up.
Have been to the Hydro shop where we were told to phone an 0845 number and wished us luck as there was allready a woman in the shop who had been waiting 45 minutes,with no reply.
We're down to the last £1.00 of credit.

They cant even tell us if we can access the £20 emergency as it seems to have disappeared with some of the other meter readings you can access.

Technology......:~(

trix
17-Jan-09, 14:28
maybe yer meter is faulty....

fone 'e hydroboard a get one 'o 'e guys oot (no thinkin o' ma inheritance - honest) :lol:

telfordstar
17-Jan-09, 14:30
Have you tried cleaning the key and blowing on it then I had the same problem and that worked for me

cuddlepop
17-Jan-09, 14:34
maybe yer meter is faulty....

fone 'e hydroboard a get one 'o 'e guys oot (no thinkin o' ma inheritance - honest) :lol:

He's on the phone just now to the 0845 number,will let you know how we get on.
Just now there trying to tell us we've used up all electric on emergency.
No one pressed the button.:confused.

ashaw1
17-Jan-09, 14:34
Just now I've tried to put £20 of electricity into my meter,which I know is in the key but the meter wont except it.Error 50 just came up.
Have been to the Hydro shop where we were told to phone an 0845 number and wished us luck as there was allready a woman in the shop who had been waiting 45 minutes,with no reply.
We're down to the last £1.00 of credit.

They cant even tell us if we can access the £20 emergency as it seems to have disappeared with some of the other meter readings you can access.

Technology......:~(
Something similar happened to me a while ago and as far as i'm aware they have to come out to you the same day. They cannot leave you without electricity, it has to be treated as an emergency! They certainly came out the same day in my case!

ashaw1
17-Jan-09, 14:37
He's on the phone just now to the 0845 number,will let you know how we get on.
Just now there trying to tell us we've used up all electric on emergency.
No one pressed the button.:confused.
If you have used all of your emergency credit you have to top the meter with more than £20, i was caught out by this once before. If you try to top up with less it won't register correctly. If you press the button until you see the letter B, the amount to the right of that is the amount you need to top up.

cuddlepop
17-Jan-09, 14:55
To use the emergency you have to take the key out and put it back in and no one has done this.

We are currently getting the run around on the phone.
Oh slowly coming too the boil.[evil]

ShelleyCowie
17-Jan-09, 14:57
We have had some bother with that electric thing too! Tis the devil that thing!! [evil] They said we had debt on our electric so they was taking £12.50 for every £20 we topped up. Then months and months later we phoned to ask how much more we owed they said we were now in credit.

So we had to go to the shop we usually get electic and top it up with £1 for 3 days. Done that and turned out we got £150 electric back on the metre! We owed a few quid!!!!!!!!!! [evil]

cuddlepop
17-Jan-09, 15:05
He is furious with them and we now have to buy more electric to see if the key isnt working.

Apparently we have to purchase electric 3 times before they aknowledge there's a problem.[evil]

Kodiak
17-Jan-09, 15:12
On the Meter where it says what you are in credit, is the Light on all the time and is it scrolling from one set of numbers to another?

If this is the case then you are on Emergency as when your meter is in credit the light goes out but it stays on when on emergency.

If it is on emergency then it just might need more than the £20.00 to register.

It is easy to go to emergency without knowing as I have done this as you can on to emergency before the credit runs out. All it takes is to put the Kney in the meter with no credit on the key and if the credir is 50p or less it will put you on to emergency and can look like you have over £20.00 in credit. Except for the light staying on that is.

router
17-Jan-09, 15:29
Good luck, we sat for four days without heating when our meter packed in last year.They replaced it with another faulty meter and we ended up asking for it to be removed and had a normal meter put it.Having kids did not seem to matter to them.

cuddlepop
17-Jan-09, 15:31
We have a Landis and Gyr key meter.
When on emergency its suppose to flash between A and B reading setting.
It wasnt doing this.

Have put £5 on it and has accepted it.

There is no way I've used £35 since last Sunday and £20 emergency on top of this.
When electric was put in last Sunday there was £32 on Sunday night.
If your on emergency then it takes that off first.

Either the key is dodgy or the coop didnt put £20 on key but gave us receipt for £20.:confused

The office is now closed and is onto Emergency call outs only if you have no electric.:(

changilass
17-Jan-09, 15:35
How stupid that you have to put in 3 lots of credit for them to decide its not working. I thought meters were primarily installed for folks on a low income so they wouldn't have to find a lum sum at the end of a quarter. What if you don't have the finances to put in 3 extra lots of credit, are you supposed to wait till you win the lottery grrrrr.

We had a meter in our last house and we asked them to change it, went onto paperless billing paid a set amount each month and got a discount for our troubles. You would think you would get a discount for the meter as you are paying afore you use and they are getting the interest on the money.

End of rant - sorry for that, chest feels a bitty lighter now

Kodiak
17-Jan-09, 15:37
When you say Co-op do you mean the Post Office?

I ask because I know that my key does not accept payments there. Also that I was advised by the Hydro Shop not to top up at the Post Office as they had many Complaints about Top Ups not working correctly at the Post Office.

So I do not top up at the Post Office now and if I am down town I top up at the Hydro Shop.

cuddlepop
17-Jan-09, 15:43
Oh and another thing the Supervisor who Oh insisted he was put through to admitted there's a problem with these blasted keys but then tried to retract that statement.

It is unbelievable that such a simple thing as putting a key in a meter could cause so much stress and anxiety.

My daughter things its her fault because she put the key in the meter and no electic was on it.

We're trying to give her more adult responsiblity as she's 18 soon but is classed as being a vunerable adult. She would have just excepted this as her mistake,gone without food and bought more electric.

There is no way she could have phone to complain.:~(

cuddlepop
17-Jan-09, 15:44
When you say Co-op do you mean the Post Office?

I ask because I know that my key does not accept payments there. Also that I was advised by the Hydro Shop not to top up at the Post Office as they had many Complaints about Top Ups not working correctly at the Post Office.

So I do not top up at the Post Office now and if I am down town I top up at the Hydro Shop.

Co op in Portree Kodiak.:)

Kodiak
17-Jan-09, 15:46
OOOps, I forgot, silly me. :roll:

Mind you could be the same problem as I am sure our Post Office is not the only place where the Top Ups go wrong.

JammyDodger69
17-Jan-09, 16:02
we had the same prob. my electric had gone off on the middle of the night so sent my boyfriend off to top up the key while i tried to get our three kids up and ready for school...IN THE DARK!!!
we put the key in and got 'error'. we had to phone them and they said that it would be four hours to send out an engineer....four hours!!! i was livid, my son had to miss his school party because i couldnt get them showered or even boil my kettle to make a bottle for my baby.
anyway...that was in december. and the same thing happened again last week with the new key which they sent us. it was different this time because i still had the emergency credit they said they couldnt send out an engineer as i still had electricity. i had to wait to the next day before they sent out a new key!!!

cuddlepop
17-Jan-09, 16:17
On Monday we are going to request a meter print out of electic purchased with dates and units used.
We've asked for this over the phone but are still going to put it in writing.

We are not going to let this drop,something is wrong with the key and the disp[lay panel that comes up with a load of ####ooo #### crap instead of numbers and letters.:eek:

Kodiak
17-Jan-09, 16:30
On Monday we are going to request a meter print out of electic purchased with dates and units used.
We've asked for this over the phone but are still going to put it in writing.

We are not going to let this drop,something is wrong with the key and the disp[lay panel that comes up with a load of ####ooo #### crap instead of numbers and letters.:eek:

Quite right too.

Since I have read all about your Problems I have now decided to keep safe every receipt I get for every top up. I must admit I usually just trow them away but from now on I will be keeping them. Once bitten and all that.

Anyway I hope that you will get this all sorted out sooner rather than later. Best of Luck!!

Dadie
17-Jan-09, 17:08
Good luck
We swapped the key meter for an ordinary meter earlier this year because I didnt like it!
Didnt realise there were so many problems with the blasted keys or I woild have changed it earlier!

EDDIE
17-Jan-09, 18:16
well i would keep the reciepts incase the key is faulty.
I used to have a flat were u bought electric token cards absolute pain its sometimes worth thinking about getting rid of the pay as u go meter u pay slightly more for that service than people with the ordinary meters.

trix
17-Jan-09, 18:41
worth thinking about getting rid of the pay as u go meter u pay slightly more for that service than people with the ordinary meters.

no anymore eddie....hydro hes takin off 'e extra charge, roond aboot 'e end o' last year. ifact they should be thinkin o' takin doon 'e price o' electricity any time soon ;)

cuddlepop
17-Jan-09, 21:13
no anymore eddie....hydro hes takin off 'e extra charge, roond aboot 'e end o' last year. ifact they should be thinkin o' takin doon 'e price o' electricity any time soon ;)

No ones been round to alter my meter reading settings so how,s this done?:confused

Tony
17-Jan-09, 21:27
If you top up the key from an alternative outlet and it still doesn't work and the emergency also doesn't work then I would call the Hydro emergency number if your supply off. If the supply is off then they are obliged to call and rectify the problem inorder to restore power.

cuddlepop
17-Jan-09, 22:34
If you top up the key from an alternative outlet and it still doesn't work and the emergency also doesn't work then I would call the Hydro emergency number if your supply off. If the supply is off then they are obliged to call and rectify the problem inorder to restore power.

We went to thr Hydro and put £5 on the key,luckily this work but didnt release the £20 Oh has now informed me they said may be locked in the key.:confused

No one has told us how we unlock the £20 though.