PDA

View Full Version : John Mackay&Charlotte Budge WICK

queenie
17-Jan-09, 12:58
I'm trying to help a friend trace his ancestors, he doesn't have much info but I've managed not too bad but need some help from any of you kind folk out there......this is ALL the info I have......so ANY further info would be an added bonus.

John Mackay, Tailor, Wick & Charlotte Budge had a son

Donald Budge Mackay looks like born 9 May 1843 & Bapt 10 January 1845

married don't have date etc

Euphemia Mackay m.s Mackay

they had a son David Mackay Mackay born aprox1873
married 28 june 1895 Edinburgh
Henrietta McPherson who had a daughter Janet Ronald M? Mackay b 19 june 1908 Edinburgh....

any other info would be great if there is anyone who can help

many thanks
queenie

cuthill
18-Jan-09, 18:15
Hi Queenie Welcome to the org I found your John Mackay married Charlotte Budge 17/05/1823 in Arbroath,Angus but cant find the marriage for Donald and Euphemia in fact i cant find Donald,Euphemia and David on the 1881 census but will have another look.I did find Donalds birth b 09/05/1844 and c 10/01/1845 in Wick

cuthill
18-Jan-09, 18:18
David was born 12/10/1872 in Edinburgh,was Donald and Euphemia living when David was married.Charlotte was born in Wick 26/10/1801 and died in St Giles in Edinburgh in 1873 age 73 and her parents were William Budge and Isobel Manson.Donald and Euphemia were married 1877 in Thurso

queenie
19-Jan-09, 06:09
Hi Queenie Welcome to the org I found your John Mackay married Charlotte Budge 17/05/1823 in Arbroath,Angus but cant find the marriage for Donald and Euphemia in fact i cant find Donald,Euphemia and David on the 1881 census but will have another look.I did find Donalds birth b 09/05/1844 and c 10/01/1845 in Wick

cuthill
thanks for the warm welcome that does seem to fit in with my findings too since I first posted the search has been far and wide.....

It looks like Donald and Euphemia never married....I found Davids birth record on SP and has both the above as parents but has illigitamate beside Davids name

many thanks for helping me in my quest
queenie

queenie
19-Jan-09, 06:34
David was born 12/10/1872 in Edinburgh,was Donald and Euphemia living when David was married.Charlotte was born in Wick 26/10/1801 and died in St Giles in Edinburgh in 1873 age 73 and her parents were William Budge and Isobel Manson.Donald and Euphemia were married 1877 in Thurso

Thanks cuthill I hadn't started on Charlotte yet so thats a great help.....

any idea's how I could find out where to start looking to find where John Mackay the Wick tailor came from in Ireland.......on the censes it does say born Ireland apporx 1801

thanks for your help once again
queenie

queenie
19-Jan-09, 07:41

the birth cert for Charlotte isn't very clear on SP so I have asked them to re scan or at least tell me what it says exactly.

the death cert on SP for Charlotte Mackay in 1873 has her parents down as
William budge [fish curer] & Isabella Budge m.s Bain *well thats what it looks like to me
where did you get Isobel Manson cuthill .I know from experience that you never take things for granted you see on these cert.....especially Death cert.......It looks like her son in law registered the death.......[I for one know my husband would have no idea about my mothers maiden name ...LOL]

queenie

cuthill
19-Jan-09, 14:50
Hi Queenie i got some of the info from IGI and it said Charlottes parents were William Budge and Isobel manson Budge so i was thinking Manson would be her single name but maybe its a middle name,if you got her name Bain from S/P that will be correct.I will go and have a look to see if i come up with a Isobell manson Bain.Ireland is a nightmare to try and find Anscestors,i have been looking for mine for years with no luckDonald and Euphemia were married in Thurso in 1877 if you have any credits to get it from S/P

queenie
19-Jan-09, 20:34
Hi Queenie i got some of the info from IGI and it said Charlottes parents were William Budge and Isobel manson Budge so i was thinking Manson would be her single name but maybe its a middle name,if you got her name Bain from S/P that will be correct.I will go and have a look to see if i come up with a Isobell manson Bain.Ireland is a nightmare to try and find Anscestors,i have been looking for mine for years with no luckDonald and Euphemia were married in Thurso in 1877 if you have any credits to get it from S/P
oh I know only too well about it being a nightmare my own Ancestors are Mackays who married Mckays who married Mackays etc in Caithness and Sutherland .....I'm still on their trail too......but so far these Mackays arn't any of mines...lol
the Donald and Euphemia you suggest ....isn't them I got cert SP different parents.......turns out they never married.......

so now I'm trying to find where John Mackay came from in Ireland

I appreciate all your help cathill many thanks for above info
queenie

Tricia
21-Jan-09, 21:08
the birth cert for Charlotte isn't very clear on SP so I have asked them to re scan or at least tell me what it says exactly.
the death cert on SP for Charlotte Mackay in 1873 has her parents down as
William budge [fish curer] & Isabella Budge m.s Bain *well thats what it looks like to me
where did you get Isobel Manson cuthill .I know from experience that you never take things for granted you see on these cert.....especially Death cert.......It looks like her son in law registered the death.......[I for one know my husband would have no idea about my mothers maiden name ...LOL]
queenie

Thought I would throw these birth entries in for Charlottes:
CHARLOTTE OC 22 APR 1814 Thurso Caithness JOHN BUDGE/MARGARET FRASER FRMR85-1 41 3 8
CHARLOTTE OC 12 MAR 1813 Wick Caithness JOHN BUDGE/SUTHERLAND COOPER 43 3 8
CHARLOTTE OC 26 NOV 1801 Wick Caithness WILLIAM BUDGE/ISOBEL MANSON 43 3 8

Marriage :
OM 30 JAN 1801 Canisbay Caithness WILLIAM BUDGE/ISOBEL MANSON 35 1 8

queenie
22-Jan-09, 10:34
Thought I would throw these birth entries in for Charlottes:
CHARLOTTE OC 22 APR 1814 Thurso Caithness JOHN BUDGE/MARGARET FRASER FRMR85-1 41 3 8
CHARLOTTE OC 12 MAR 1813 Wick Caithness JOHN BUDGE/SUTHERLAND COOPER 43 3 8
CHARLOTTE OC 26 NOV 1801 Wick Caithness WILLIAM BUDGE/ISOBEL MANSON 43 3 8

Marriage :
OM 30 JAN 1801 Canisbay Caithness WILLIAM BUDGE/ISOBEL MANSON 35 1 8

Thanks for the above Tricia common sense tells me that its CHARLOTTE OC 26 NOV 1801 Wick Caithness WILLIAM BUDGE/ISOBEL MANSON 43 3 8
and
OM 30 JAN 1801 Canisbay Caithness WILLIAM BUDGE/ISOBEL MANSON 35 1 8[/quote]

but the only thing I'm swithering over is on Charlotte's Death certificate it states her parents as William Budge and Isabella Budge m.s.Bain......as I mentioned to cuthill it was her son in law who registered her death....would he know for sure her maiden name or just guessed? I have copied the section of the parents on death record.......I'm sure its Bain.....any other suggestions?http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc173/sofee59/CHARLTBDGEDEATHPART.jpg

Tricia
22-Jan-09, 21:52
Isabella Budge widow of William Budge fishcurer died 7 Apr 1862 High Street Wick aged 87. Her parents given as John Manson and Jane BAIN. Informant was Alexander Calder g'son.
BUDGE, ISABELLA (Statutory Deaths 043/01 0072)

Could this be where the mistake has been made on Charlotte's death with a Bain mother!!!!!

Still not my Budge Family but interested - who knows when they will link.

Tricia

queenie
23-Jan-09, 16:27
Isabella Budge widow of William Budge fishcurer died 7 Apr 1862 High Street Wick aged 87. Her parents given as John Manson and Jane BAIN. Informant was Alexander Calder g'son.
BUDGE, ISABELLA (Statutory Deaths 043/01 0072)

Could this be where the mistake has been made on Charlotte's death with a Bain mother!!!!!

Still not my Budge Family but interested - who knows when they will link.

Tricia
Tricia it could well be:D....that would be the logical explanation but as I have found out tracing Ancestors doesn't always show a logical pattern .......its the best so far.....I'll keep you posted if I get anything else

thanks again for your help
queenie:)

Tricia
03-Apr-09, 17:29
BUDGE, ISABELLA (Statutory Deaths 043/01 0072) Isabella Budge widow of William Budge fishcurer died 7 Apr 1862 High Street Wick aged 87. Her parents given as John Manson and Jane BAIN. Informant was Alexander Calder g'son.

Could this be where the mistake has been made on Charlotte's Budge death with a Bain mother!!!!!
Tricia

Piece: SCT1841/43 Place: Wick -Caithness Enumeration District: 1
Civil Parish: Wick Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 0 Page: 3
Address: High Street, South Side
Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
BUDGE Isobella F 60 Vintner Spirit Dealer Caithness
BUDGE John M 30 Cooper Journeyman Caithness
BUDGE Jean F 25 Dressmaker Caithness
BUDGE Elizabeth F 25 Caithness
BUDGE Alexanderin F 20 Caithness

Births to William Budge and Isabella Manson.
ALEXANDRINA OC 1816 Wick Caithness
CATHERINE OC 3 MAR 1812 Wick Caithness
CHARLOTTE OC 26 NOV 1801 Wick Caithness
ELISABETH OC 28 JUL 1807 Wick Caithness
JEAN OC 3 MAY 1805 Wick Caithness
JOHN OC 27 MAY 1803 Wick Caithness
WILLIAM OC 24 DEC 1809 Wick Caithness

Can anyone place the WILLIAM BUDGE who married Isabella Manson. He must have been born before 1780.

I have one who was born 1772 His parents William B & Charlotte Bain. this William's brother also had a daughter Charlotte.
Note: not too many Charlottes about but some in Bain and Groat families.

There was also a William 1778 son of John B & Helen Andrew but he married Catherine Harrold.