PDA

View Full Version : Where's your nick from?

Saveman
05-Feb-06, 14:10
Why did you choose your handle for the Org? Is there a funny story behind it or was it just the first thing popped into your head when you were registering?

unicorn
05-Feb-06, 14:14
I collect unicorns :)

connieb19
05-Feb-06, 14:15
Why did you choose your handle for the Org? Is there a funny story behind it or was it just the first thing popped into your head when you were registering?It was the First thing that popped into my head...lol:roll:

Whitewater
05-Feb-06, 15:04
When I joined I could look out the window and see nothing but whitewater in Wick bay for about two weeks.

cuddlepop
05-Feb-06, 15:06
Its a name we came up with to describe a tight squeeze.so tight you think you'd pop.....I might register it as its a hit with the kids
If I ever go on to become famous, you were all the first ones to see it on a forum.Sent out 80 emails to all highland councillors and wasnt sure if only Bill got it as Cuddlepop:lol:

brandy
05-Feb-06, 15:09
*grins* just my name..

rfr10
05-Feb-06, 15:29
mines is my name and my date of birth

Tugmistress
05-Feb-06, 15:34
I drive what is called a 'tugmaster' at work, but being female and having a naughty sense of humour and liking double entendres i plumped for tugmistress :evil:evil:evil

shrek_donkey
05-Feb-06, 15:35
Mines is because the kiddies were watching it when i registered

JAWS
05-Feb-06, 15:44
Mine is an Acronym, nothing rude or anything like that, I'll leave you to work it out.
Initially it gives a clue to the direction I'm coming from. Some of my past posts provide the origin of the last two letters.
Just remember the evil side of my sense of humour. Shut up those I've already told, let them ponder. (Well I did say I was evil)

Foxy
05-Feb-06, 15:55
I used our cats name

connieb19
05-Feb-06, 16:12
I used our cats nameYes, I used my cats name too...lol:eek:

scotsboy
05-Feb-06, 16:18
Mine is a pseudonym, my real name is KW14Ultra;)

paris
05-Feb-06, 16:21
PARIS... its my daughters poodles name. Why o why do i make reference to a dog??

landmarker
05-Feb-06, 16:38
Mine comes from a series of mega-rides around Britain doing the 'landmarks' for a bike Magazine - 'Back Street Heroes.' The idea was to visit certain far flung places of interest, or which just had daft names like 'Idle Working Men's Club' in Bradford or 'Low Bell End' a place in Yorkshire. Have yer photo taken with the bike to 'prove' you'd done it on two wheels.It was great fun and took us all over the place over four or five years in the nineties.

From Tintagel, Cornwall, up to Skye, we landmarked with gusto !

Where does yours come from Savey?

Rheghead
05-Feb-06, 16:45
Mine is derived from the ancient kingdom of Rheged which stretched from Wales to Glasgow at the height of its power in the 7th century but the centre of that civilisation is now Cumbria from whence I came.:lol:

LENSMAN
05-Feb-06, 16:49
E.E. Doc Smith book I was reading at the time.

rich62_uk
05-Feb-06, 16:50
Rich's name and date of birth which he has used for 20 years after being given the ID by the company he worked for Goldman Sachs.

Saveman
05-Feb-06, 16:51
<snip>
Where does yours come from Savey?

Mine is short for Saveman: my superhero alter-ego when I was about seven. :lol:

spiggie
05-Feb-06, 17:23
mines is what they call chewingum down south, so thought it sounded quite good lol :)

angela5
05-Feb-06, 17:27
Mine is just my name and the 5 is for my door number.:)

wickerinca
05-Feb-06, 19:07
Nothing amazing......just a wicker in canada.....but the inca bit was good as it is a civilisation that fascinates me!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Feb-06, 19:36
I work with a lad called Frederick,so the folk at work call me Cedric.Farthsbottom III is totally made up.Just incase all ye good folk thought I was posh and part o' the gentry....maybe even royalty....heee-heee.

DW
05-Feb-06, 19:53
Just as it says on the tin

BustedShoe2
05-Feb-06, 20:03
mines is what they call chewingum down south, so thought it sounded quite good lol :)

And it just stuck? :lol:

My shoelaces always break so mine seems obvious

Greenrunner
05-Feb-06, 20:06
Belong to Gills.

Saveman
05-Feb-06, 20:20
Mine comes from a series of mega-rides around Britain doing the 'landmarks' for a bike Magazine - 'Back Street Heroes.' The idea was to visit certain far flung places of interest, or which just had daft names like 'Idle Working Men's Club' in Bradford or 'Low Bell End' a place in Yorkshire. Have yer photo taken with the bike to 'prove' you'd done it on two wheels.It was great fun and took us all over the place over four or five years in the nineties.

From Tintagel, Cornwall, up to Skye, we landmarked with gusto !

<snip>
Did you ever visit Devil's Beef Tub? I've never been there but the name just conjures up so many weird images! :lol:

Saveman
05-Feb-06, 20:22
Mine is derived from the ancient kingdom of Rheged which stretched from Wales to Glasgow at the height of its power in the 7th century but the centre of that civilisation is now Cumbria from whence I came.:lol:

I had heard of that before but I never made the connection.... :)

Saveman
05-Feb-06, 20:23
Just as it says on the tin

I was afraid you would say something like that! :lol:

krieve
05-Feb-06, 20:42
My name does'nt mean anything i just typed in a whole lot of letters lol

Alice in Blunderland
05-Feb-06, 21:57
The storeman at work picked my name and it isnt even Alice so I dont know why he picked it.

squidge
06-Feb-06, 11:50
Did you ever visit Devil's Beef Tub? I've never been there but the name just conjures up so many weird images! :lol:

i have been there

Squidge is just me - squidgey - like the pilsbury dough character:p

motopitcrew
06-Feb-06, 12:48
its just what i do most weekends running around keeping the kids motocross bikes safe and ready to race

badger
06-Feb-06, 13:02
A few years ago, in another life, I lived in a house called Badgers Holt and - yes, it had badgers in the garden. I used badger@ as my first email address and still had that when I moved up here so used it as my nick, in fact I registered on the site before I moved here. The email address is long gone but it's nice to still have the name.

JAWS
06-Feb-06, 15:41
Seeing nobody wants to work mine out then I'll spoil my fun of changing sides in the England - v - Scotland sporting debates.
J ust A nother W hite S ettler.
Nothing "fishy" about it at all. But I'm here to stay, I ain't going back South for anybody!

Julia
06-Feb-06, 15:55
Seeing nobody wants to work mine out then I'll spoil my fun of changing sides in the England - v - Scotland sporting debates.
J ust A nother W hite S ettler.
Nothing "fishy" about it at all. But I'm here to stay, I ain't going back South for anybody!

I was trying to figure it out when I came across your last post LOL

I wish I'd picked a different name!

Tymey
06-Feb-06, 16:09
Mine is Doctor Who related. Timelord became Tymelord became Tymey - your fun lovin' cheeky non-anorak clad Doctor Who viewer.

squidge
06-Feb-06, 16:26

See i wondered that although it was Spoggie where i grew up[lol]

Jeid
06-Feb-06, 16:35
Mine is an old school nickname which is cultivated from the first letter of my first name and the last three letters of my surname.

fred
06-Feb-06, 20:15
I adopted it back in the 1970s because it was quick and easy to type, then it sort of adopted me.

misty woman
06-Feb-06, 20:25
I also used my cats name.

Tugmistress
06-Feb-06, 20:30
There are some good stories attached to these nicks, i hope i am not the only one enjoying reading them all :D

obiron
06-Feb-06, 20:31
came up wi mine cos its a pun on star wars and the number 4377 spells out gers. so it puts the 2 things together. it makes me laugh.

Dali
06-Feb-06, 21:15
Salvador Dali

I was looking at the painting i have on the wall at the time of trying to think of something to use . Had been looking round the room for about 20 mins trying to think of anything .

ice box
07-Feb-06, 00:01
Coz iam cool lol .

zebedy
07-Feb-06, 00:22
bif fan of the magikal roundabout!!

haha

sado i know!

teddybear1873
07-Feb-06, 02:02
Mines is we Glasgow Rangers fans are called Teddybears and 1873 was the year they were founded..........Easy really

Oddquine
07-Feb-06, 03:59
Well, I'm odd and I'm a quine.

That, or oddie are my nicks everywhere , except on one forum where I am posting ingognito, and my own, where I am admin.

canuck
07-Feb-06, 04:19
Totally agree with you Tugmistress, these are fascinating!

"canuck" is a Quebecois word for Canadian. When I was working in Caithness 2 years ago, it made sense to use it.

I laugh at "junior member". I haven't been a junior member of anything for a very long time.

paris
07-Feb-06, 10:50

Must say im from down south, and never heard it called that! Oh well you live and learn.

JAWS
07-Feb-06, 12:37
Must say im from down south, and never heard it called that! Oh well you live and learn.
I suppose somebody has to be from there Paris, but we forgive you! :p
We used to call it Spuggie in the part of Lancashire I am from.

Obviously they are all variations of the same name but does anybody know where it comes from? :confused:

DrSzin
07-Feb-06, 13:01
Must say im from down south, and never heard it called that! Oh well you live and learn.I've lived in two different parts of Southern England and I've never heard it called spiggie, but I'm not a gum chewer.

Its use seems to be quite localised. From "A dictionary of slang":

spiggy Noun. Chewing gum. Cf 'spoggy'. [East Lancs use]

spoggy Noun. Chewing gum. Cf 'spiggy'. [Humberside/Lincs use]

So, someone claims it's used in Lincolnshire!

There's more here (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spiggy).

DrSzin is a pseudonym. In real life I'm Lord Vader.

Saveman
07-Feb-06, 14:03
Is "chuddy" a Caithnessian term or from further south?

Tymey
07-Feb-06, 14:09
Mines is we Glasgow Rangers fans are called Teddybears

.....amongst other things. ;)

teddybear1873
07-Feb-06, 15:54
.....amongst other things. ;)
Shhhhhhhh as long as you dont mention the Hibs game

Cedric Farthsbottom III
07-Feb-06, 16:01
Savey,ma wife is from caithness and calls it 'chuddy',I'm originally from Ayrshire and called it 'chuddy' too.So looks as though it could be a rootin-tootin chuddy gum session from all over Scotland going on here.

Saveman
07-Feb-06, 16:04
Savey,ma wife is from caithness and calls it 'chuddy',I'm originally from Ayrshire and called it 'chuddy' too.So looks as though it could be a rootin-tootin chuddy gum session from all over Scotland going on here.

Ahh, thanks Cedric...so its Scottish thing.....I'm just off to spit out my "chuddy" and eat a "sangwich" :p

golach
07-Feb-06, 16:06
Shhhhhhhh as long as you dont mention the Hibs game

Sorry Teddy, remind me of the score please, :lol:

stekar
07-Feb-06, 23:12
Made up from both our names Steve and Karen. Bit boring really eh?

Chewing gum is known as chuddy in Yorkshire too.

lassieinfife
07-Feb-06, 23:22
mine fairly self explanatory and no im not a fifer lol

porshiepoo
08-Feb-06, 17:25
It's the name of my very first great dane that unfortunately I had to have put down due to getting into a dreadful scrap with her sister.
Her name was porsha but we called her porshiepoo. Bless!!!!:o)